The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor

Old 05-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #26
Canis Sapiens
Ragnarök and roll!

Default Re: Thor Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
I would say powerful orchestration. But you'd have to use "Hammer of the gods" in one of the trailers. It's just too perfect.
"Hammer of the Gods" = "The Immigrant Song", is that right?

Check out my band... or I'll blow up a hospital in Gotham. He Dog Sound: http://myspace.com/hedogsound
Canis Sapiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #27
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
That does sound cool. Though, I hope they DON'T go with Blake... but they probably will to have a "midgard" connection.
What's wrong with Blake?

Old 05-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #28
Sasquatch
Half A Bee

Yes, Canis, I believe it is.

Nothing is really wrong with Blake. I just didn't prefer him. He really makes the storylines convoluted. But, I can see his advantages too. It's not what I would want to see but I won't cry in my cereal if they do put him in the movie.

Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #29
Canis Sapiens
Ragnarök and roll!

I feel the same way about Blake. I would prefer Thor not to share his existence on Earth with a human. But if they choose the Blake route, it wouldn't be a deal breaker to me.

Check out my band... or I'll blow up a hospital in Gotham. He Dog Sound: http://myspace.com/hedogsound
Old 05-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #30
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

I didn't like Blake back when he was literally just Thor as a human. But now that he's developed his own sentience and personality in the comics, I actually like how he and Thor share a body. So long as the 60-second rule never, ever, ever, ever, ever rears its ugly head, I would like to see Blake in the movie. Maybe just at the end.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #31
Sasquatch
Half A Bee

Yeah, that 60 second rule is ridiculous.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #32
Philly Phanboy
LIVIN' LA VIDA PHANBOY

Cool Re: Thor Score

It would be nice to get some actual modern Nordic artists/musical influences involved in some way.

The problem is modern artists from that area that I'm aware of would be the likes of ABBA, Darude, Ace of Base, Aqua, or Roxette...not really appropriate for this movie...well unless you happen to be Techno Viking and into that stuff.

Last edited by Philly Phanboy; 05-12-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Philly Phanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:40 AM   #33
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

They could look to modern Nordic composers who've continued the musical tradition of the viking era.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #34
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefchirpa View Post
If they build on Hulk vs Thor orchestral theme is okay by me. Sound Superman-ish yet more fantastical.
I agree. That score from the VS movie wasn't half bad.

I'm still looking for a cd of it. lol

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #35
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Phanboy View Post
It would be nice to get some actual modern Nordic artists/musical influences involved in some way.

The problem is modern artists from that area that I'm aware of would be the likes of ABBA, Darude, Ace of Base, Aqua, or Roxette...not really appropriate for this movie...well unless you happen to be Techno Viking and into that stuff.
There PLENTY of artists from Finland and Iceland.
One band is Called TYR. Think Metallica with Manowar themes just to name one.

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #36
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
They could look to modern Nordic composers who've continued the musical tradition of the viking era.
That's a good idea.

One thing that I'm certain of is that I feel they need to go traditional orchestral on this one. I'm afraid that if I were to hear any metal in the movie, it'd kill the experience for me, to be honest.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:19 AM   #37
simba317
Side-Kick

Guys, guys, guys...you KNOW Gene Simmons owns the planet and he already has his fingers in this...'God of Thunder...and rock and roll...the spell you're under..will slowly rob you of your virgin soul!' ;D

In all seriousness, I say we blend metal and orchestral music and do symphonic metal. lol. Like Tuomas Holopainen and Nightwish because they're amazing. The full power of an orchestra you can headbang to because their drummer, Jukka kicks ass. Smooth, crisp and super tight. Nightwish is Finnish and their new singer is Swedish...

End of All Hope...ignore the video...I just used it because it had the best sound quality.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

That one's a short song...but I really recommend The Poet and the Pendulum and Ghost Love Score...ooh and Beauty and the Beast. They really show off Tuomas' strength as a composer.

Here's Pt. 1 of Poet and the Pendulum...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

They also did a more maritime song with Anette, this is The Islander.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

For something more Swedish or viking...how about Opeth? They're super epic and a blend of prog, metal, heavy and folk elements.

Ghost of Perdition

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Immigrant Song would be pretty awesome though.

~simba_317

Last edited by simba317; 05-13-2009 at 02:26 AM.
simba317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #38
Sasquatch
Half A Bee

I agree that ANY metal in the score would cheapen the film. This movie should be epic. On scale with the LOTR trilogy. Thor needs to have this other worldly feel to him. Even when he is eventually on screen with other heroes. There needs to be a feel of deity. Metal will only kill that.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #39
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

^^^Exactly.

You've just put in even more into perpective for me, Sasquatch, ith the LOTR reference.

I mean, can anyone imagine the LOTR films with metal in them? It woulda been ridiculous.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #40
simba317
Side-Kick

Let me show you Ghost Love Score by Nightwish...the person took the time to use this song as a LOTR video. The editing is spectacular...and yes, Nightwish does make appearances at the largest metal festival in the world in Wacken, Germany. Top billings even.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

~simba_317

Old 05-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #41
Sasquatch
Half A Bee

The video won't load for me for some reason.

This just came to me: Putting metal in the score of a movie like Thor feels very 80s to me.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #42
simba317
Side-Kick

Here's the link then. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBD81BL1V3w

And I really think it depends what metal it is. It could be cool if they pick the right bands...if they picked Children of Bodom, it'd be not so much, even though I love them. The fact is that metal is a HUGE genre with a ton of subgenres...and I could easily see bands like Nightwish and Opeth in the film...because they have a sound that could work.

~simba_317

Old 05-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #43
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

When the words 'Thor' and 'metal' are put together, all I can think of is the Valhallen character from 'Dial M for Monkey's' Justice Friends.

I dont want to see Thor on screen, hear some rock music and immediately have images conjured up of a Thor parody, and thus run the risk of subliminally associating what I'm seeing with said parody.

It could detract from the tone of the movie.

Hey, I know this is maybe an incredibly myopic way of looking at it, but I honestly dont believe I'll be able to change my mind on this one.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #44
Canis Sapiens
Ragnarök and roll!

I second that. The only way I see a metal song working in this movie is if it were "The Immigrant Song" and only in the final credits, just like Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" in "Iron Man".

Old 05-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #45
simba317
Side-Kick

Have you listened and watched the video? If so, cool, if not, you're going to be making an uninformed decision about metal that is a prejudice.

I don't necessarily think metal is what comes to mind when you listen to Ghost Love Score. You would never know it's even by a metal band if I didn't tell you it was.

The composer/keyboardist in Nightwish has even started scoring movies over in Finland. It's definitely more traditional score music. Nightwish's newest album, Dark Passion Play was recorded in Finland, where the core musicians and vocalist recorded and at Abbey Road Studios in London with the London Philharmonic Orchestra...you can even get a special edition that has the album in all instrumental with no vocals, so you can appreciate the instruments and music.

Whether or not there's going to be metal in the film, I don't really care either way. If there is, fine, if not, it's cool with me too...I just don't like it when opinions are formed without all knowledge. These guys could be the exception that proves the rule...but to say that all metal or any metal at all would detract from the movie...I don't think that's fair.

~simba_317

Last edited by simba317; 05-13-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #46
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simba317 View Post
Here's the link then. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBD81BL1V3w

And I really think it depends what metal it is. It could be cool if they pick the right bands...if they picked Children of Bodom, it'd be not so much, even though I love them. The fact is that metal is a HUGE genre with a ton of subgenres...and I could easily see bands like Nightwish and Opeth in the film...because they have a sound that could work.

~simba_317

I was liking it until I heard the guitars.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #47
Raivynn
Side-Kick

As a huge Nightwish (and metal) fan I would have to say no to actual metal tracks on the score. If they absolutely had to, then at the end like Iron Man would be alright.
I'm in complete agreeance with everyone that says the Thor score should be huge and epic. Something along the lines of King Arthur , Kingdom of Heaven or The 13th Warrior.

My vote is still for Zimmer. The man is a score God.

Raivynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:29 PM   #48
Sasquatch
Half A Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by simba317 View Post
Have you listened and watched the video? If so, cool, if not, you're going to be making an uninformed decision about metal that is a prejudice.

I don't necessarily think metal is what comes to mind when you listen to Ghost Love Score. You would never know it's even by a metal band if I didn't tell you it was.

The composer/keyboardist in Nightwish has even started scoring movies over in Finland. It's definitely more traditional score music. Nightwish's newest album, Dark Passion Play was recorded in Finland, where the core musicians and vocalist recorded and at Abbey Road Studios in London with the London Philharmonic Orchestra...you can even get a special edition that has the album in all instrumental with no vocals, so you can appreciate the instruments and music.

Whether or not there's going to be metal in the film, I don't really care either way. If there is, fine, if not, it's cool with me too...I just don't like it when opinions are formed without all knowledge. These guys could be the exception that proves the rule...but to say that all metal or any metal at all would detract from the movie...I don't think that's fair.

~simba_317
I watched the video. It starts out well but when the rock beat hits and the faint metal guitar comes in the background it totally loses me.
Each taste to his own.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #49
Sasquatch
Half A Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Sapiens View Post
I second that. The only way I see a metal song working in this movie is if it were "The Immigrant Song" and only in the final credits, just like Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" in "Iron Man".
Indeed.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:49 PM   #50
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

I think this film should have a very epic score that fits with the times and overall Thor/Asgard/the whole film. Just something very powerful, which is what I think we'll get.

I wonder who's going to score the film?

The Amazing Spider-man (2012) will be literally AMAZING!

A lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, With Great Power There Must Also come Great Responsiblity - Amazing Fantasy #15

Happy 50th Anniversary, Spidey! 1962-2012
Spider-ManHero12 is offline   Reply With Quote