The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > G.I. Joe > G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

View Poll Results: I am upset because of the...
Poor script 28 54.90%
Poor casting 25 49.02%
Not staying true to the source material 34 66.67%
Give it a break it just might be good! 5 9.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #51
Jolly Rolly
Banned User

Default Re: The Negative Reaction Thread

I love G.I.Joe and have the toys and DVD's but my complaints about the movie would be:

1)Stupid robocop suits and everybody having the same uniform with no indivduality.

2)From the preview of the Cobra Commander's look he looks more like a scuba diver than a ruthless terrorist determined to rule the world.

3)Duke being portrayed by a punk ass actor only known for hip hop breakdancing films.

4)Ripcord being portrayed by a Wayans only to bring in the "urban hip" demographics.

5)the whole movie pretty much looking like Street Fighter/Double Dragon/Dragonball Z/Speed Racer.

Jolly Rolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #52
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

I took a closer look at the new GI Joe poster, and I noticed that Stormshadow (who is my favorite character) sports a gun. Now everyone who is familiar with GI Joe knows that Stormshadow never uses a gun; he'd use crossbow and other projectile weapons, but not a gun. Just another thing that really irks me about this movie, and I haven't seen it yet, nor do I plan to. I may check it out when it's out on DVD, but that is still a huge "maybe".

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #53
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

That's not a gun, it's a cordless power drill.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:49 AM   #54
TNC9852002
Banned User

I'm not too worried about this film.

I understand that this movie is being catered to the mainstream audience who have very little knowledge of G.I. Joe, but they are very aware of the property. I believe I fall into this category. I believe that the perception concerning G.I. Joe as a film will be nothing more than popcorn entertainment and flashy fun and fluff as only Stephen Sommers can deliver. For me, I'm really not looking for anything other than that--just a fun escape and ride.

So far, other than the special effects, nothing has really dazzled me. From the clips I've seen, it seems like the film has a bit more humor to it than I imagined, but I think it works. I expect a RT rating of around 30-40%. I'll still go see it.

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
TNC9852002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #55
Bug-Eyed Earl
Side-Kick

I am I weird because the robo suits bother me for different reasons?

I read an article that showed a prototype for something similar, and I was surprised how far along it was (the wearer could wear all 150 lbs of it for a long time without feeling any strain, they could hold a bowling ball at arms length indefinitely, and they were still pretty light on their feet). So I can buy the presence of this technology, especially if the movie is supposed to depict how tech might be in 10-20 years, as Sommers says.

What bothers me is they slap them on the new team members, Duke and Ripcord, with next to no training. I'm pretty sure the added strength they give you would take some getting used to. That and the part where Duke whips the helmet off just before jumping off a skyscraper- there's no reason to do that- you can't even tout the usual comic book movie reason that you can't see his face- you clearly CAN see their faces.

That and they're established as having what appear to be guns, but they don't use them when chasing the Baroness and Storm Shadow- Ripcord could have stopped SS from firing the warhead if he had simply shot him rather than tackled him(and by the way, after being pushed through a wall, it's the unprotected guy who gets up first- STU. PID.)

If you're going to use something so far out from what GI Joe usually is, AT LEAST USE IT RIGHT.

Personally, I would have rather seen the Joes chase someone like Firefly and Zartan who has stolen one of these suits rather than have them be the ones wearing them.

Bug-Eyed Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #56
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
What bothers me is they slap them on the new team members, Duke and Ripcord, with next to no training.
There's a training sequence. Though I've been saying that they use this in one scene, I was mistaken. I forgot one. There's the chase sequence, but prior to that, there's a training sequence, a sort of obstacle course/Danger Room.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the added strength they give you would take some getting used to. That and the part where Duke whips the helmet off just before jumping off a skyscraper- there's no reason to do that- you can't even tout the usual comic book movie reason that you can't see his face- you clearly CAN see their faces.
I get the feeling he thinks its too distracting or limiting or something. Pulling that helmet off strikes me as a comfort thing, a sort of "Damn it, I'll do this better without my cumbersome helmet" moment.

Quote:
That and they're established as having what appear to be guns, but they don't use them when chasing the Baroness and Storm Shadow- Ripcord could have stopped SS from firing the warhead if he had simply shot him rather than tackled him(and by the way, after being pushed through a wall, it's the unprotected guy who gets up first- STU. PID.)
They use the guns during the chase. They also use wrist-mounted rockets, I believe.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 06-18-2009 at 03:57 PM.
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #57
Bug-Eyed Earl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
They train them before they go out in those suits.
Really?I have the script, but I haven't read it in forever. I seem to recall very little time passing between the introduction of the suits and them actually using it- I vaguely remember Breaker still instructing them before they were let loose and telling them to be careful. I'll have to re-read it.

But that gives them even less of an excuse for Duke and Ripcord to screw up so badly.

Bug-Eyed Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:00 PM   #58
The Guard
Side-Kick

Pretty sure there's a short montage-ish thing where they're actually training in the suits taking out targets and whatnot.

How do they screw up badly?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #59
Timstuff
Banned User

They don't really screw up. There's a gag where Ripcord and Duke are winded, and Ripcord comments about going through a tree, but it doesn't imply that they screwed up-- they're just exhausted from the rush.

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #60
Fresh Prince
Banned User

Lol was Marlon Wayans character ever black in the show? Also they always gotta have a token black guy to add flavor so sad and it turns out an epic fail.

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #61
Fresh Prince
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Rolly View Post
I love G.I.Joe and have the toys and DVD's but my complaints about the movie would be:

1)Stupid robocop suits and everybody having the same uniform with no indivduality.

2)From the preview of the Cobra Commander's look he looks more like a scuba diver than a ruthless terrorist determined to rule the world.

3)Duke being portrayed by a punk ass actor only known for hip hop breakdancing films.

4)Ripcord being portrayed by a Wayans only to bring in the "urban hip" demographics.

5)the whole movie pretty much looking like Street Fighter/Double Dragon/Dragonball Z/Speed Racer.
Thats sad altogether. Both actors suck. Tantrum played Pretty Boy Floyd no wonder they killed him off early in the film his acting sucks and he could not carry himself through the whole film.

Also when people always bring in a black guy to bring the african american people in it always be an epic failure. Seriosuly man and it sad cause it effects my race. Once again black people look stupid on film other then a few.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:32 PM   #62
M.E.H.Z.E.B
Banned Usèr
SHH! Global Moderator

Ripcord was a white guy.

member of gods among men
M.E.H.Z.E.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #63
Fresh Prince
Banned User

Why he black in the movie then?

Old 07-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #64
scatterax
Presented in Technicolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.E.H.Z.E.B View Post
Ripcord was a white guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarcrow View Post
Why he black in the movie then?
seriously? aren't there plenty of black ji joes? why bother changing a white joe into black when you could just use a joe that's already black??????

4) The Dark Knight Rises 5) The Incredible Hulk 6) Scott Pilgrim vs The World
7)X-Men:Days of Future Past 8) X-Men:First Class 9) Thor 10) Spider-Man 2
scatterax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #65
M.E.H.Z.E.B
Banned Usèr
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterax View Post
seriously? aren't there plenty of black ji joes? why bother changing a white joe into black when you could just use a joe that's already black??????
After witnessing the immense success of the black-man-white-man dynamic in Lethal Weapon, and the black-man-chinese-man dynamo in Rush Hour, Stephen Sommers decided to infuse the surefire formula into his movie. Too bad he cast Marlon Wayans next to a tree named Channing Tatum.

Poor Ripcord of yesteryear -- he had flowing red hair and was a tough white man... now he's a comedic black man talking to a tree.

member of gods among men
Old 07-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #66
Fresh Prince
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.E.H.Z.E.B View Post
After witnessing the immense success of the black-man-white-man dynamic in Lethal Weapon, and the black-man-chinese-man dynamo in Rush Hour, Stephen Sommers decided to infuse the surefire formula into his movie. Too bad he cast Marlon Wayans next to a tree named Channing Tatum.

Poor Ripcord of yesteryear -- he had flowing red hair and was a tough white man... now he's a comedic black man talking to a tree.
Lol i have n problem with them changing character race but seriously they could of gotten soemone better like Idris Elba. He a good underrated black actor. I rather have Ice Cube then Marlon Wayans.

But reason why they brought Wayans in i heard was for both him being serious which he was in only one movie and his comedy stuff which he not really funny at all really.

Also Lethal Weapon and Rush Hour movies were amazing. And the black man-white man dynamic is great! Especially if no race card is thornw into it also the chinease man-black man too if you have the right people of course.

P.S. What started it all with the black man-white man dynamic was a little great tv show called Miami Vice. Crockett and Tubbs!

Old 07-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #67
Fresh Prince
Banned User

Also Tantrum sucks as an ator how the hell he played Pretty Boy Floyd in Public Enemies?

Old 07-20-2009, 07:35 PM   #68
DemonicFoil
Comics,Games,Movies

ummmm *sigh* i can't think of one decent thing to say about this movie, i just can't, yes its understandable they have to change quite a few things from the cartoon/comics but is it so hard to make cobra commander recognizable besides whatever voice they might use for the movie and when do soldiers jump around like power rangers. If they would of stayed true too the source material and made it a little dark with minor exaggeration then we might have a damn good G.I.JOE movie. *sigh* if they don't give cobra commander a more recognizable iconic look for the sequel then i sure as hell hope they reboot the whole damn thing....sorry....hulk sad

DemonicFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #69
That-Guy
Banned User

Man, Hasbro will be 0 for 2 this summer when this movie comes out. I'm sure they don't see it that way though, since Transformers 2 made a sh**load of cash, but looking at how bad that movie turned out and how bad this one probably will, you really have to wonder if turning their properties into films is actually a good idea. I'm sure it won't stop Hollywood though.

COMING IN 2011

EASY-BAKE OVEN: RISE OF CHOCOLATE CAKE

That-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #70
Timstuff
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
Man, Hasbro will be 0 for 2 this summer when this movie comes out. I'm sure they don't see it that way though, since Transformers 2 made a sh**load of cash, but looking at how bad that movie turned out and how bad this one probably will, you really have to wonder if turning their properties into films is actually a good idea. I'm sure it won't stop Hollywood though.
Seeing as TF2 made a ton of money and the large majority of people love it, I'd say bringing their toys to the big screen was a very good idea. The bad reviews didn't mean anything to the movie's success, either in terms of profitability or audience reaction.

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #71
That-Guy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstuff View Post
Seeing as TF2 made a ton of money and the large majority of people love it, I'd say bringing their toys to the big screen was a very good idea. The bad reviews didn't mean anything to the movie's success, either in terms of profitability or audience reaction.
I hope that you're wrong about that, but sadly, I suppose that it's box office performance is an indicator of a strong return crowd.

That-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #72
Fresh Prince
Banned User

TF2 was good why people hating?

Old 07-26-2009, 03:28 AM   #73
AnorexicBatman
Side-Kick

TF2 was good? How much money did Bay pay you to say that?

Raditz had triggered a memory that Vegeta wished never existed. He grabbed Raditz by his neck, lifted him up a good few feet off the ground and slammed his body into the large metallic wall behind them, paying no heed to his cries of mercy and slowly tightening his grip, “DON’T YOU EVER! REMIND ME OF THAT AGAIN!!”
AnorexicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:45 AM   #74
M.E.H.Z.E.B
Banned Usèr
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnorexicBatman View Post
TF2 was good? How much money did Bay pay you to say that?
Since Sommers' movie will more than likely make peanuts, I'd like to imagine that it was more than what any of us would be paid to say the same for G.I. Hoes.

member of gods among men
Old 07-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #75
DemonicFoil
Comics,Games,Movies

Halo suits + Robocop= accelerator suits, comes equipped with fine precision halo jumping.

DemonicFoil is offline   Reply With Quote