The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 02-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #76
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Default Re: You're The Producer Of The Superman Reboot

totally lex is a great character but for film audiences we only got to see him as a simple con man/criminal. When since the 80s he become a genius inventor-business man, to president to what ever is happening with the character is the mainstream comics. I want to see that. in new film series. AS i said before it would be a great story to see his rise and fall of power and grace in metropolis over a 3 film series. But yea first film he is just the puppet master behind things and running all the crime families and all that.

But then yea definatelly want to see more super powered foes have their shots on the big screen. We have the technology to pull any of them off today with cgi or costumes or a mixture of both. Would be great to see them on the big screen. Sure its fun to see guys like metallo, brainiac, even toyman in tv in superboy, lois and clark, even smallville. But it would be so cool to see them on a 150+million budget were they can be a bigger scale threat. Then we got guys like darkseid, doomsday, mongul who would be all cool foes to go toe to toe with superman. They really need to go all out with superman. I made this point before i would love to see them go all out comicbookie/scif-fantasy with superman. Sure ground certain things/human elements to a realm or realitity-realism but dont ground it to much.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #77
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Great points Webhead! You are so right, i think really taking the scifi elements and running with them is what would make a new superman movie a big summer movie that people will be excited to see. At the same time grounding the characters like clark and lois and making us relate to them (as you said) would help us care about the bigger action sequences. I think the majority of supes fans didn't like SR b/c it was a missed opportunity and wasted potential. That's how i'd sum it up. You can do amazing things with this character and with a big screen budget you could bring it to life. Why that's so hard for hollywood to understand is beyond me.

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #78
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea it is just disapointing that wb just doesnt seem to get how to do the character like it. If a new film series went like how i said i would be very pleased with it. We get cool crazy scifi/fantasy stuff. Good action stuff and good visuals. Then of course the relatablity to the characters to make us care about them is a key thing to include. I am crossing my fingers wb/dc comics will be able to do that with the character. When ever we do get another film actually going. Then writers/directors who fully understand who and what each character is. Not just one take on the characters. That is why i keep on saying they should look at what has made the characters great in each decade since the creation and use those traits that are best liked in new film and story.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #79
glofty726
Side-Kick

yes in my script he is the main and only villain, however, he fights Superman in that awesome Kryptonite Powered Battle Suit

glofty726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #80
glofty726
Side-Kick

and he is a contemporary of Superman's. he's a serious character, with interesting persoanl problems. hes not some campy idiot criminal the way he was in the first 5

Old 02-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #81
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Your idea sounds good to me.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #82
glofty726
Side-Kick

y thank u, i think its a pretty good script. its more focused than the other Supes movies

Old 02-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #83
glofty726
Side-Kick

PRINCIPAL PHOTOGRAPHY COMPLETED ON "SUPES"

September 19, 2010- With filming completed on Francis Lawerence's Superman reboot, the film is headed for post production in a matter of days, with scoring sessions having already begun. The teaser traielr is expected to be release with the upcoming "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I".

Old 02-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #84
Alonsovich
Schumacher's Spider-man

TITLE- THE MAN OF STEEL

MY PERFECT CAST:

Clark Kent/Superman- Eion Bailey
Lex Luthor- Edward Norton
Lois Lane- Rose Byrne
Perry White- Christopher Walken (KENT!! THIS ARTICLE NEEDS MORE COWBELL!!)
Jimmy Olsen- Shawn Ashmore
Jonathan Kent- Dennis Quaid
Martha Kent- Diane Lane
Jor-El- Anthony Hopkins
Lara-El- Catherine Zeta Jones
Mercy Graves- Teri Hatcher
Metallo – Sean Bean

PRODUCTION:

Directed by- Michael Mann
Written by- Andrew Kevin Walker
Cinematography- Dante Spinotti
Music by- Don Davis
Editor- Dody Dorn
Production Design- Arthur Max

Story would be a non-linear origin, opening with Superman at near death after a fight with Metallo, cutting back to 29 years before, with the back story of the Krypton demise, after it back to present day Metropolis and so on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBats
Does it disgust anyone that when we were being born, our penises were technically in our mother's vaginas? Isn't that disgusting?

Last edited by Alonsovich; 02-18-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Alonsovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:53 PM   #85
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

nice thoughts i would change a few cast members out for others myself.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-19-2010, 04:25 AM   #86
metr0man
Side-Kick

So naturally, the movie is a reboot. We forget about the Donner films completely and start anew.

First thing is first, I want to minimize Krypton and keep everything earthbound. Bring the strangeness to us rather than the other way around. I think we consistently overrate how much the general public cares about Jor-El and the crystal Krypton and the "you're our last son" stuff. They want to see SUPERMAN, here and now.

So scene 1 is set in SMALLVILLE, not KRYPTON and begins with the crash landing. A few establishing scenes... then we jump straight to adult Clark leaving Smallville and moving to Metropolis. The Donner film spent an hour or so on all this stuff, we hit the high iconic moments and move on.

Main plot is a big sci-fi action spectacle.

Apokalips' invasion of Earth.

Superman's introduction to the world is him stopping the initial attack. I would play up the "general public is unsure if this alien Superman is on their side or ours?" angle, maybe Lex Luthor comes into play here, maybe not, but the main villain is DARKSEID.

The second half of the movie is basically a sci-fi action "aliens attack" storyline, except, of course, with Superman front and center.

It's proven that the audience loves big-ass sci-fi action spectaculars. This will easily draw in the general audiences, the people who loved movies like Transformers, 2012, ID4, etc etc.

Except our movie won't have corny as **** dialogue and horrible acting

The point is, there's no reason why SUPERMAN's enemies have to be such un-ambitious earthbound foes. In fact, there's no better way to make Superman the ICONIC BELOVED figure to Metropolis than to have him, an alien, save the EARTH from an invading force... thereby completing the whole "adopted son" angle of Superman and settling the alien-loyalty storyline once and for all.

Casting... I'm not going to make a laundry list but I will say I'm sold on Cavill as Superman. I'm partial to Rachel McAdams as Lois. Rose Byrne is a good choice too.

Director... Matthew Vaughan. Stardust. Kick-Ass. Comic Nerd. Left X3 because the script sucked. I can't stress how impressed I was with how self-assured Stardust was from a directorial perspective. Will remain true to the spirit of Superman.

metr0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #87
Brian2887
Nerd.

double post...again.

Last edited by Brian2887; 02-19-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Brian2887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #88
Brian2887
Nerd.

Warner Brothers taps Rian Johnson to write and direct new Superman project.

Rian Johnson, acclaimed indie writer/director of "Brick" and "The Brothers Bloom" will step into the studio system in a big way, signing a deal to bring Superman back to the big screen.
Johnson said he's always been a huge fan of the character, but wants an insider's perspective along for the ride. DC Comics writer Geoff Johns will be working as creative consultant on the screenplay.
Christopher Nolan, director of "The Dark Knight," is producing this project, and he says Rian Johnson is not only the right choice to bring Superman to life. He's the only choice.
"He's a natural storyteller," Nolan said. "He's one of the few directors I met with who understands the special effects don't define the story. They support it."
The as-of-yet untitled Superman film will hit theatres Christmas 2012.

Johnson has his Lex Luthor

"I hope by casting John Hamm, I've dispelled a lot of worries," said director Rian Johnson. "This Lex is not a bumbling inventor, no disrespect to the Donner films. He's a powerful, ruthless businessman with political aspirations and a real dark side."
Jon Hamm, known for playing 50s anti-hero Don Draper on "Mad Men," looks forward to the challenge.
"Don Draper is no saint, but I've never played a real villain," said Hamm. "I'm looking forward to the challenge."
Johnson hedged when it came to calling Lex Luthor the film's villain.
"I'll put it this way. Lex is not a good guy," said Johnson. "But that's not his public face. As far as Metropolis is concerned, Lex is a stand-up guy. There's another villain that's going to be causing a lot of trouble this time around."

Superman and Lois Lane cast!

"Tudors" star Henry Cavill and "Mission: Impossible III's" Michelle Monaghan have been cast as comicdom's iconic lovers, Superman and Lois Lane.
"I can't tell you how excited I am," said Cavill. "I've become a huge fan of the character over the last few years, and I campaigned for this. I was desperate for this to happen. This is a dream come true."
"I'm so excited to work with Rian Johnson," Monaghan said. "I Love 'The Brothers Bloom' so much, and he's a real American auteur. I said I didn't want to do anymore blockbusters, but this doesn't feel like one. This is a film, that happens to be about a super hero, and I'm excited to be a part of it."
Geoff Johns, comic writer and creative consultant on the film, is thrilled with director Rian Johnson's choices.
"Superman is this young idealist, almost a boy scout, when he first hits Metropolis," said Johns. "Lois is more jaded, an experienced reporter who's seen her fair share. Rian [Johnson] really has an eye for casting."
"Superman's in good hands," he added.

Superman cast fills out, one name stands out.
In a big announcement today, Warner Brothers named a large chunk of the Superman cast.
As Superman's alien parents, Jor-El and Lara, director Rian Johnson has chosen Jim Caviezel and Rachel Weisz, his "Brothers Bloom" star.
"Krypton does not play a huge part in my movie," Johnson said, "but it plays a huge part in Superman's life. And, Jim and Rachel will lend real power to their scenes."
Clark's earthen parents were also cast today. Sam Sheppard, recently seen in "Brothers," will play Jonathan Kent. Martha Kent will be played by veteran character actress Patricia Clarkson.
Perry White, grumpy boss of The Daily Planet, will be played by Martin Sheen. Jimmy Olsen, the young photographer, will be played by "Zombieland's" Jesse Eisenberg.
A couple more interesting names to come out of today's announcement. Ian McShane, of "Deadwood" fame, plays Bruno Manheim, the leader of an organized crime syndicate known as Intergang, with possible ties to Lex Luthor.
Acclaimed British actor Tom Hardy of "Bronson" and producer Christopher Nolan's upcoming "Inception" will be playing Intergang mercenary John Corben. In the comics, John Corben is the alter-ego for villain Metallo. Johnson refused to comment on whether or not Corben will become the Kryptonite-hearted cyborg in his film.
"Come on, guys," said Johnson. "You have to save something for the sequel."

To sum up:

Superman
directed by Rian Johnson
written by Rian Johnson with Geoff Johns
produced by Rian Johnson, Christopher Nolan, and me (obviously)

starring
Henry Cavill as Superman
Jon Hamm as Lex Luthor
Michelle Monaghan as Lois Lane
Jim Caviezel as Jor-El
Rachel Weisz as Lara
Sam Sheppard as Jonathan Kent
Patricia Clarkson as Martha Kent
Martin Sheen as Perry White
Jesse Eisenberg as Jimmy Olsen
Ian McShane as Bruno Mannheim
and
Tom Hardy as John Corben

Last edited by Brian2887; 02-19-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #89
Nightwing1983
Side-Kick

I'm not sure who I'd cast or whom I'd want to direct it; but I think the first thing I would do is make sure it's not some sort-of middle finger to "the Donner movies" or any other preexisting version (including Superman Returns much as I hate it). That means, I wouldn't want the director going on in some interview, "oh, it's so dated! Our arbitrary changes really make this so much more timeless than that ever was or ever could be.

The second thing is, I think I'd get a writer who's a really big fan yet has experience in movies or TV--say, Paul Dini or Jeph Loeb--to write a treatment. I'd say, "this either has to be the origin told in a fresh way, or a movie that can be taken as an extremely loose sequel or extremely soft reboot." When he's done, I'd take it to someone who's a lot more "green," so-to-speak but who has a good track record and have him do the rewrite, then take it to the original writer and ask for a final draft.

As for the director, I really don't know what I'd want. Before Superman: the Movie, Richard Donner's main claim to fame was The Omen, so I wouldn't disqualify someone who's best known for horror films or for that matter, someone known for comedy. The important thing is if they have the right idea for this project, and if their track record shows that they can pull it off.

I'd also try to get students who are still in animation or illustration school to work on concept art, so you don't have to pay them as much and so that they're more in touch with the appropriate audience, which would be--yes--young adults who are into sci-fi/fantasy and superheroes. Obviously, kids--6-12--would be the secondary audience.

I don't know who I'd cast in the roles. I mean I have a few ideas, but I hate sharing fantasy cast stuff. I'd give Routh the courtesy of auditioning again--and Welling if he wants to--but would really weigh him against other applicants as I'm sure someone better could be found, though each has their own following.

Finally, for Lois, I think I'd cast someone slightly older than whoever plays Superman. Probably the wife on some sitcom as, well, a lot of them seem Lois-like.

Nightwing1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #90
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Well, Lets see
Writers:
Myself - main overall story and veto power on other writers.
Mark Waid – fill in story gaps
Dialogue writer – Not sure yet

Director: Louis Leterrier –mostly because I know he will do exactly as I ask him, and I like his motion style of filming.

Cast:

Superman/Clark: Daniel Cudmore – I would use his 6’7" height as a major asset in Scenes where he should look imposing and powerful, and subdue the extra height with some basic Hollywood tricks ( like flat sole shoes and other easy stuff) for the Clark Scenes.

Lois Lane: Tricia Helfer – She seems like a gorgeous and confident woman, not girly like a lot of the actresses I have seen suggested. She is also 5'10", so in heels or even regular shoes with a heel would not look too short next to Daniel.

Lex Luthor: Billy Zane

Ultrahumanite Kelsey Grammer both before he gets the Gorilla Body, and after as the voice.

Brainiac: Mark "Conan" Steven – 7ft tall Australian actor in great shape who has done everything from stage theatre, movie work, costumed work, and stunt work, and is a MENSA member.

http://www.conanstevens.com/componen...2_itemId=10363

Hmmm.. that’s it for now. I’m not to partial on the others characters yet. Likely I would have open screen tests with certain criteria for each.

SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #91
Nightwing1983
Side-Kick

You know, now that you bring Kelsey Grammar up, I wonder how he'd be as Perry White.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #92
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

nice write brian.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #93
Brian2887
Nerd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
nice write brian.
In the real world, I was a journalism major.. Glad I found an outlet here, for once.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:28 AM   #94
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

oh thats cool, for me i was a media production major, just finished school too a few months back. Trying to build skills up and hopefully get to a bigger city one of these days to find more work. Since were i live not much happening here.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #95
glofty726
Side-Kick

a lot of these versions of Superman sounds awfully similar to the JJ Abrams script. and y does everyone keep casting Lex Luthor so old? if its a reboot, wudnt it be more interesting if he were younger

Old 02-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #96
glofty726
Side-Kick

i mean no disrespect to everyone's ideas, its just an observation

Old 02-22-2010, 05:57 PM   #97
Nightwing1983
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by glofty726 View Post
a lot of these versions of Superman sounds awfully similar to the JJ Abrams script. and y does everyone keep casting Lex Luthor so old? if its a reboot, wudnt it be more interesting if he were younger
I just always saw him as being somewhat older than Superman. There's no real reason for it. In Lois & Clark, it was kinda interesting to see him played by a younger, suave, handsome guy and woven into the love triangle; but I really think it's better to keep that angle away. I don't know why, I just do.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #98
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea for me i would at least peg lex about 8-10yrs older then lois and clark. So like if you are going for a near 30yrs old lois and clark he would be like 38-40yrs old lex. Which would also make it more reasonable if they wanted to go political route(yea i know in comics they could change things on age needed to be).

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #99
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

First i'd say your plan is very well thought which is nice. A few things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing1983 View Post
I'm not sure who I'd cast or whom I'd want to direct it; but I think the first thing I would do is make sure it's not some sort-of middle finger to "the Donner movies" or any other preexisting version (including Superman Returns much as I hate it). That means, I wouldn't want the director going on in some interview, "oh, it's so dated! Our arbitrary changes really make this so much more timeless than that ever was or ever could be.
I don't think people care so much about dissing the old films, just that there is no need to revisit them or feel any sort of obligation to them. I'd venture to say that before Superman Returns came out there was little backlash against the old films. It was primarily after that film came out that people felt more outright anger and frustration that a 30 yr old film was used as the basis for a new superman flick vs truly referencing his entire 70yr comic history as well as the other live action adaptations.

Why show so much preference to one version or one directors vision or even the publics view of superman over 30yrs ago verses telling a compelling story in the present that simply uses what works.

Quote:
The second thing is, I think I'd get a writer who's a really big fan yet has experience in movies or TV--say, Paul Dini or Jeph Loeb--to write a treatment. I'd say, "this either has to be the origin told in a fresh way, or a movie that can be taken as an extremely loose sequel or extremely soft reboot."
That's a great idea about getting someone who already has experience in both film/tv and comics, i'd also throw Geoff Johns in the mix as well.

I would stay away from the lose sequel stuff as it bogs down a new film in unnecessary continuity that it doesn't need. SR ignored supes 3 and 4 so there's no reason a new film can't simply ignore SR. The soft reboot or fresh origin is really the best route to take if you want to enliven the franchise.

Quote:
I'd also try to get students who are still in animation or illustration school to work on concept art, so you don't have to pay them as much and so that they're more in touch with the appropriate audience, which would be--yes--young adults who are into sci-fi/fantasy and superheroes. Obviously, kids--6-12--would be the secondary audience.
Great idea! I went to school for digital arts and sciences and i can't tell you how many of us wanted to get involved with concept art/story boarding and whatnot. I think students would give you 110% and would be eager to help create your vision.

Last edited by Daybreak_st; 02-23-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #100
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

there really shouldnt be any connections to donner/singer's film. Superman should have the chance to break away be its own thing with a fresh new adaption. Heck if batman can do it, hulk can do it, and coming soon spidey? why shouldnt superman have the same chance of it.

www.ItsJustMovies.com