The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #101
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

Default Re: Dear WB, your supposed 2009 blockbusters continue to fail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
That being said it is all about perception. Star Trek will probably end up making between 220 Million - 230 Million domestically, if not more. The budget for Star Trek was around 218 Million. Let's say Star Trek makes 220 Million, that is only 2 million more than it's budget and overseas it is not doing gangbusters. It will end up making less than Superman Returns WW.
Where are you getting the 218 million budget? Everywhere I've looked says the budget was around 160 million.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...star-trek-65m/

Quote:
As for international where the reimagined Star Trek really needs to show strength to set it apart from the disappointing foreign takes of its predecessors, rival studios are telling me the overseas openings "weren't that hot". And, remember, Star Trek's budget was $165M.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ar-trek-movie/

Quote:
The unspoken but understood message: if Mr. Abrams’s “Star Trek” is going to justify its estimated $150 million budget, it had better reach beyond the die-hard fans of Vulcans, Tribbles and dilithium crystals.
I'm not saying your wrong, but I can't find anywhere a story that says its 218 million.

...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Old 05-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #102
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Studios lie all.the.time! about how much it cost to produce a film. Benjamin Button was in excess of $250 million (I know that for a fact) and yet it's only being listed as $160 million officially.

All you have to do is look at Star Trek to know it was a $200+ million production.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #103
nintendo nerd
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Studios lie all.the.time! about how much it cost to produce a film. Benjamin Button was in excess of $250 million (I know that for a fact) and yet it's only being listed as $160 million officially.

All you have to do is look at Star Trek to know it was a $200+ million production.
So what was the real budget for SR? Not counting failed project.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #104
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Treks overseas gross is pathetic, but wont make them think twice about a 2nd. ST is going to be the biggest film of May and will very likely top 250 million in the U.S.; even if it cant break 150 overseas the U.S. popularity will warrant another.

Quote:
Green Lantern sequel? Granted nobody takes you seriously any way, but still....
And you are...??

Quote:
The studio is casting the first film right now and has major hurtles ahead of them for that production. So it's way too early to be talking (or in your case; assuming out of your rear-end) about Green Lantern II.
Please; Warner Brothers obviously sees Green Lantern as something more than just a single film. It does have hurdles, but the fact theyve given it a release date should signal its very likely to happen. Its due summer 2011. It would only make sense that W.B.-if they plan on making a sequel to it-would have it out in either summer 2013 or summer 2014. That isnt far fetched at all to assume. OBVIOUSLY if Green Lantern hits unforseen problems, that date isnt going to happen; but if everything goes as currently planed (which doesnt usually happen), that is a realistic looking slate.

Quote:
Everything beyond that (including the release date, whether or not Nolan is coming back, etc.) is big question-mark.
Please. Anybody who honestly thinks Nolan isnt going to come back is kidding themselves, the same way some select fools thought he wouldnt return for TDK. Its understandable that he wanted to make a dif. film in between, but he'll be back. If anybody really believes he'll let his billion dollar critics baby get into someone elses hands, they're delusional.

Quote:
Personally, I think Nolan is coming back and it'll be 2012. At the same time, I could imagine it coming a year or so later than that only if Nolan really wants to take his sweet-ass time developing it. And by the way Warner Brothers has been patient with him so far, it's not that far-fetched - although I doubt that happens.
The word fomr lr was they only agreed to make Inception if he would make Batman for 2012. They wont be wait a year longer. Batman 3 WILL be out in 2012, you can pretty much take that to the bank. They wont have a 5 year wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Which is why, IMO, Warners should just throw an ungodly amount of money at Nolan to convince him to get off his ass and make it for 2011. Will money buy convince him to move? Who knows, but it would be nice to have something alongside Potter.
Thats what they should have done months ago, however thats out of the question now. Nolans doing Inception and wont be done fulltime work on that until early 2010 at the very earliest. Maybe if they REALLY wanted 2011 they could get out for Holidays, but that would be a reach.

R.I.P. Heath

Last edited by Excel; 05-26-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #105
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
I am still at the same point I have been for many months. WB WANTS to make a Superman movie sometime soon, but they don't NEED to.
They still don't need to, but things can change. Superman was considered needless after the success of 300 ($456m ww with a budget of $65m) and Transformers ($708,272,592 ww with a budget of $150m).

IMO it's clear that Watchmen is 300's son and Terminator: Salvation is WB's answer to Transformers. They both have failed, so since 2007-2008 something has already changed. Maybe not enough for Superman, but in two years we'll see the last Harry Potter movie, and I doubt that Batman can be considered a 5-6 movies franchise.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:25 PM   #106
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
Treks overseas gross is pathetic,
You just proved how clueless you are - especially in terms of box-office. The Trek franchise has never been huge internationally. The fact that this new film will end up with around $100 million overseas is solid as Hell.

Quote:
And you are...??
Someone with a brain and knows what he's talking about - i.e. not you.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #107
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

This isn't the Star Trek thread. I shouldn't have brought it up.

ENOUGH.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #108
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Quote:
You just proved how clueless you are - especially in terms of box-office.
Excuse me? I may not help work on some joke back to the future site, but I do know a damn large amount about the box office and how it works; seeing these comoc book posters attempt to tell me Im "clueless" about something I've followed and discussed for nearly a decade is laughable; when it comes to box office knowledge the last thing I am is "clueless" broseph; I dont need to work for a wannabe hype website to know that anytime overseas accounts for 1/3 of a films worldwide gross, its not exactly "solid".

Quote:
The Trek franchise has never been huge internationally. The fact that this new film will end up with around $100 million overseas is solid as Hell.
Its overseas take will account for a smaller % of its worldwide total than previous Trek films, the fact that it is 100 million doesnt mean anything due to inflation; it still equals less ticket sales overseas than previous films. I thought you knew what you were talking about?

Quote:
Someone with a brain and knows what he's talking about - i.e. not you.
Infaction ftw? Wheres a mod when you need one?

Besides, you've shown no evidence of a functioning brain, and what do you know? That Warner Brothers spends a lot more on their tentpoles than they tell us? Wow, I am very impressed. You think because you right articles about what hype Superman fans think that makes you an expert? The reality is you have no idea what your talking about when it comes to anything reguarding the box office. End of discussion.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 05-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #109
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

I would recommend you not saying anything until you either grow a brain or learn to know what you're talking about. Thus noone will ever have to hear from you again.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #110
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Easy guys!

Old 05-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #111
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Excuse me? I may not help work on some joke back to the future site, but I do know a damn large amount about the box office and how it works; seeing these comoc book posters attempt to tell me Im "clueless" about something I've followed and discussed for nearly a decade is laughable; when it comes to box office knowledge the last thing I am is "clueless" broseph; I dont need to work for a wannabe hype website to know that anytime overseas accounts for 1/3 of a films worldwide gross, its not exactly "solid".

Its overseas take will account for a smaller % of its worldwide total than previous Trek films, the fact that it is 100 million doesnt mean anything due to inflation; it still equals less ticket sales overseas than previous films. I thought you knew what you were talking about?

Infaction ftw? Wheres a mod when you need one?

Besides, you've shown no evidence of a functioning brain, and what do you know? That Warner Brothers spends a lot more on their tentpoles than they tell us? Wow, I am very impressed. You think because you right articles about what hype Superman fans think that makes you an expert? The reality is you have no idea what your talking about when it comes to anything reguarding the box office. End of discussion.
This isn't a box office thread. I told you both to stop.

I just gave Jamie an infraction for flaming, do you want to continue this and get one as well?

Just an FYI Excel, that is 50% my site so watch yourself.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:20 PM   #112
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Im sorry, show, my bad.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 05-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #113
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ita-KalEl View Post
IMO it's clear that Watchmen is 300's son and Terminator: Salvation is WB's answer to Transformers. They both have failed, so since 2007-2008 something has already changed. Maybe not enough for Superman, but in two years we'll see the last Harry Potter movie, and I doubt that Batman can be considered a 5-6 movies franchise.
"The plan is just to reintroduce Terminator...."

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 05-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #114
GreenKToo
In the fire

I dont care about it near as much as I did. I guess the wait has caused that. What ever happens, happens.
Anyway, I guess we can look forward to G.L.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #115
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

There's more Iron Man and Avengers on the horizon as well, so the comic-genre looks to still be running pretty strong, even though Xmen and Spidey have had their run.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 05-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #116
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

I would be shocked if most if any of the Marvel films that are currently planned outside of Iron Man make their current release dates.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 05-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #117
Blackman
King Kong

This is turning into
"The Plan is just to Reintroduce Superman..." pt. 2

Old 05-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #118
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
This is turning into
We should wait until after the next Superman move for that.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #119
dark_b
Side-Kick

i will admit that star trek looks very expensive. and i mean very expensive.

but if it loks expensive then why is SR so expensive? it doesnt look expensive? look i am not the guy who complains about the bad CGI cape. i think the CGI cape was actually groudnbeaking. sometimes i didnt know that he was even CGI.
but still was it really over 200 millions? maybe because of the detailed sets?

Old 05-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #120
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Corn fields...

Old 05-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #121
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is turning into
thats the point

Old 05-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #122
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
Corn fields...
dumb me. it 3 years. i forgot.

touche

Old 05-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #123
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

This thread is just.... ugh.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #124
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
Corn fields...
...CG-enhanced Arnold body-double...

Old 05-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #125
Nightwing1977
Want to see my mask??

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
TS has nothing to do with the Superman franchise.

The fanboys are really reaching this time.
But are we all fanboys, including you? Well, fangirl actually. But you'll get the point......I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superark View Post
I know before you were saying/guessing the next Superman film might come out in 2011. I guess that has changed. So are you now of the assumption that 2012 is the target or is that wishful thinking too?
I think Batman 3 will be out in 2012 if Nolan does return. 2011 seem very unlikely right now so far.

Quote:
This is turning into
Someone must spin the Earth back or gave a Mod the amnesia kiss if this happend soon.