The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #201
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 34,459
Default Re: Dear WB, your supposed 2009 blockbusters continue to fail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Both Superman Returns and Terminator: Salvation were $200+ million films, and yet the latter will gross $125-$130 million tops while the former was able to churn out $200 million.

Again at the end of the day, it makes Returns' box-office numbers look better than how many wrote it off back in '06 - especially compared to Salvation (which is increasingly looking to be placed in the "flop" category) and Watchmen.
I'm going to disagree with you that this makes SR's gross look better. Yes, the critics loved SR but it's obvious if you just talk to people that the audience did not for the most part love SR. There are obviously many reasons that a direct sequel will not be forthcoming but I can't help but to believe that the only okay DVD sales and the lack of excitement for the sequel from the big chunk of moviegoers that went "eh" contributed to the fact that we obviously aren't getting a direct sequel.

__________________
Come think with us:http://thinkmcflythink.squarespace.com/

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now  
Old 05-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #202
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,307
Default Re: Dear WB, your supposed 2009 blockbusters continue to fail...

On the bright side though....it all but forces the next Superman movie to start fresh and finally redefine the franchise for the here and now, and near future to come. You can call it a formula, but it's hard to argue how it benefitted Bond, Trek, and Batman. Despite Superman's pop-culture 'legacy', you could only go so far on veteran credit....especially in such a highly-competitive arena. After all's said and done, I see this as just the kind of 'gut-check' that the Superman movie franchise needed, and could only be clear with a failure like this....not so much a complete failure/flop monetarily, but a 'failure to launch', so to speak. Time for a new rocket.

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline  
Old 05-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #203
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Dear WB, your supposed 2009 blockbusters continue to fail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
I never thought Watchmen would make a huge gross because the story itself isn't exactly accessible to those who aren't already comic fans.
I agree. And I think the same about SR: It was difficult for SR to make huge numbers in 2006 because the movie itself isn't exactly accessible to those who aren't already Donner movies fans.

El Payaso is offline  
Old 05-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #204
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,307
Default Re: Dear WB, your supposed 2009 blockbusters continue to fail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
I agree. And I think the same about SR: It was difficult for SR to make huge numbers in 2006 because the movie itself isn't exactly accessible to those who aren't already Donner movies fans.
Agreed, that was a big part of it. But even though I loved the Donner movie, I didn't necessarily want to see parts of it again in a new movie, so it kinda' hurt it for THIS Donner fan.

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)

Last edited by KalMart; 05-28-2009 at 07:02 PM.
KalMart is offline  
Old 05-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #205
Mostpowerful
*SUPERMAN*
 
Mostpowerful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The sky
Posts: 3,128
Default Re: Dear WB, your supposed 2009 blockbusters continue to fail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ita-KalEl View Post
I understand your point, but at least it shows that the franchise is still strong enough to deserve another chance. Despite all a Superman movie is a sure bet while a lot of new franchise (GL included) can be a jump into the dark.

You are right when you talk about the TDK's gross, nevertheless some one could think that TDK is a sequel of a movie that made less than SR worldwide.
Exactly.

And people say that BB sold extremely well on dvd but they never show links to prove it.. The numbers don't show how much it sold WHEN it first came out either.. anyone has links of this, please? I'm sure the film has sold a lot more dvds by now thanks in big part to the huge success of TDK, but I'd like to know from way before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
I agree. And I think the same about SR: It was difficult for SR to make huge numbers in 2006 because the movie itself isn't exactly accessible to those who aren't already Donner movies fans.
I disagree. I know people who weren't exactly Donner movies fans and they liked SR. Sorry, payasito but it's true.

There is nothing wrong with the Donner/Singer universes, people only wanted more action, superfights, new supervillains, imo, and that could have been done in a sequel, but WB are.... yeah.

__________________
Brandon Routh IS SUPERMAN.

avatar by lere - @stargazer0118 - Superman wears trunks
Mostpowerful is offline  
Old 05-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #206
SuperDaniel
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 9,782
Default Re: Dear WB, your supposed 2009 blockbusters continue to fail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
I never thought Watchmen would make a huge gross because the story itself isn't exactly accessible to those who aren't already comic fans. And especially if it was going to be done 'faithfully', it would also highlight that inaccessibility. As it stands, it probably works better for those who already liked the comic, rather than those who are being introduced to the story for the first time or who are less familiar.....and the latter is very important when it comes to box-office returns. You didn't have to be a comic fan to really enjoy BB/TDK or Iron Man....but I think Watchmen required more inherent appreciation of its source material to really work well.
I agree.

SuperDaniel is offline  
Old 05-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #207
SuperDaniel
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 9,782
Default Re: Dear WB, your supposed 2009 blockbusters continue to fail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
I agree. And I think the same about SR: It was difficult for SR to make huge numbers in 2006 because the movie itself isn't exactly accessible to those who aren't already Donner movies fans.
That's not true. I'm a HUGE fan of Donner's Superman and hated Superman Returns. Lets not get into this again.

SR sucked as a story plain and simple. It wasn't fun. It wasn't original. It added nothing special.

SuperDaniel is offline  
Old 05-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #208
Showtime
The Night He Came Home
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Haddonfield
Posts: 41,425
Default Re: Dear WB, your supposed 2009 blockbusters continue to fail...

Good to see you guys can't refrain from the same old tired arguments in every thread.

__________________

Showtime is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.