The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor

Old 05-31-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
Soulgem
Side-Kick

Default Please don't let Thor speak Norwegian!

Just to know where I'm coming from: I rarely post on board, but I usually read it for info on the movies. There may be a post on this very topic, and I apologize should I repeat what others have said before, but I feel it justifies a thread of its own.
I'm from Norway, and as a Marvel fan, I appreciate the stuff Marvel Studios is doing these days, and naturally I'm looking foreward to Thor by Kenneth Branagh.

Now, like the title says: Please, at any point of the movie, do not let Thor or any of the Asgardian gods talk Norwegian.

Naturally, I'm expecting Thor to speak english the entire movie, he is a norse god, but more so, he is an american superhero in a movie intended for the big audiences. But here in lies also my worries, that Marvel/Branagh/who ever that's in charge will experiment with the character, letting him speak norwegian, swedish, norse, or any other language that resembles an idea of what a norse god would speak. To most audiences, it will sound exotic, and for that reason, I can very well see the makers of the movie try to pull off a stunt like this. But to a very small audience of a couple of hundred thousand movie fans in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland and Finland, it will sound horrible.

It can't be done, he will not sound like a Norwegian, and if they try having him speak norse (dead language of bronze age scandinavian culture), it will sound even worse.
The current language that comes closest to norse (we believe) is islandic, which probably isn't the hardest language to learn, but I doubt Chris Hemsworth is able to do it in less than a year.

There's a few options I could accept:
- Thor could talk like he does in the comic. The old english style. It works in the comics, it could work on screen.
- Thor could talk with an accent. Will be hard for an actor, but that's their job.

I certanly don't expect Mr.Branagh to read these forums, I just wanted to explain to my fellow fans - from my (and probably most Scandianvians') point of view - why an Australian actor trying to speak norwegian could ruin this movie.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
louiebling$
Just Chucking with you

Default Re: Please don't let Thor speak Norwegian!

Im pretty Sure he will be speaking the Old english/ Shakespearian(sp.?).

"I have had a dream all my life and it was not this good." -Joss Whedon
louiebling$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulgem View Post
Just to know where I'm coming from: I rarely post on board, but I usually read it for info on the movies. There may be a post on this very topic, and I apologize should I repeat what others have said before, but I feel it justifies a thread of its own.
I'm from Norway, and as a Marvel fan, I appreciate the stuff Marvel Studios is doing these days, and naturally I'm looking foreward to Thor by Kenneth Branagh.

Now, like the title says: Please, at any point of the movie, do not let Thor or any of the Asgardian gods talk Norwegian.

Naturally, I'm expecting Thor to speak english the entire movie, he is a norse god, but more so, he is an american superhero in a movie intended for the big audiences. But here in lies also my worries, that Marvel/Branagh/who ever that's in charge will experiment with the character, letting him speak norwegian, swedish, norse, or any other language that resembles an idea of what a norse god would speak. To most audiences, it will sound exotic, and for that reason, I can very well see the makers of the movie try to pull off a stunt like this. But to a very small audience of a couple of hundred thousand movie fans in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland and Finland, it will sound horrible.

It can't be done, he will not sound like a Norwegian, and if they try having him speak norse (dead language of bronze age scandinavian culture), it will sound even worse.
The current language that comes closest to norse (we believe) is islandic, which probably isn't the hardest language to learn, but I doubt Chris Hemsworth is able to do it in less than a year.

- Thor could talk like he does in the comic. The old english style. It works in the comics, it could work on screen.
- Thor could talk with an accent. Will be hard for an actor, but that's their job.

I certanly don't expect Mr.Branagh to read these forums, I just wanted to explain to my fellow fans - from my (and probably most Scandianvians') point of view - why an Australian actor trying to speak norwegian could ruin this movie.
Wouldn't it be dubbed over anyway?

JAKŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulgem View Post

Welcome to the Boards Soulgem!
I understand what you're saying, Jerry Goldsmith said basically the same thing when he did the music for 13th Warrior.
I would more or less like to see JMS' "Thorspeak" in the current run. He modeled it after the way Aragorn talked in Lord of the Rings. It works well no matter what country you're from.

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote