The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Old 06-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #26
Theweepeople
Side-Kick

Default Re: The official Transformers:Revenge Of The Fallen movie critics review thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Indiana Jones View Post
Great reviews. I feel pumped. Who else?
I'm not pumped but, I will definitely be seeing this opening night inspite of all the annoying things about this film(Megatron, The Fallen, and Jetfire having robotic looking ding-A-lings. Wheelie and the Twins having a role in this movie over Inferno, Brawn, and Prowl. Soundwave having a cameo and not transforming.)

At least the humans get less screen time so I'm pretty sure I will be entertained by this film.

CBM hack list:

Mark Steven Johnson, Paul WS Anderson, Brett Ratner, Joel Schumacher, Kenneth Johnson, Rob Bowman, Zak Penn, Simon Kinberg, Avi Arad, Pitoff, John Rogers, and Tim Story.
Theweepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #27
SPider-T0rch
Still here

Default Re: The official Transformers:Revenge Of The Fallen movie critics review thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Indiana Jones View Post
Great reviews. I feel pumped. Who else?
I'm definitely stoked now. We all should have known that the story wasn't going to get any more intelligent than the last film's. Giant f****** robots? Giant f****** explosions? Megan Fox??? I can't wait til next week

Old 06-14-2009, 11:42 PM   #28
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/ente...brilliant.html

Verdict: bigger and 'botter four stars

"AS A wise man - well, David St Hubbins from Spinal Tap - once said: "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever." And while you're watching Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen, you can just about see that line - glinting in the distance, about 500 miles in the wrong direction. And that, readers, is Michael Bay's latest film in a nutshell. Stupid and proud. It's bigger. Badder. Boobier. And many other words beginning with B, including boneheadedly brilliant."

S.A.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:47 AM   #29
shigsy2003
I'LL TAKE YOU ALL ON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.A.D View Post
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/ente...brilliant.html

Verdict: bigger and 'botter four stars

"AS A wise man - well, David St Hubbins from Spinal Tap - once said: "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever." And while you're watching Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen, you can just about see that line - glinting in the distance, about 500 miles in the wrong direction. And that, readers, is Michael Bay's latest film in a nutshell. Stupid and proud. It's bigger. Badder. Boobier. And many other words beginning with B, including boneheadedly brilliant."
SCHWEET. Role on Friday 00:01. CAN.NOT.WAIT.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:45 AM   #30
Naite22
Side-Kick

Fans of transformers should simply expect every review to say that it's BIG, it's LOUD, it's exiting, and it's DUMB... Dumb can mean many things, but dont expect one single review to say that the movie is clever and that it packs a GREAT story, cause that'll never happen! If you can live with that, than I'm sure ROTF is badass!

Naite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:49 AM   #31
Naite22
Side-Kick

Here's a bit from the ShizNit review, which justifies everything I expected to hear!

"Here's the thing. Revenge Of The Fallen is a kids' movie; the secret to enjoying it as an adult is to unlock the ten-year-old within (and not the one in your cellar, bunnngg). It is, in common parlance, completely and utterly retarded. The juxtaposition between hardcore military war movie and ****** Saturday morning cartoon feels downright bizarre at times. You'll be creaming at the sight of the US army unloading their weapons on the enemy, only to feel a little ashamed when you remember their enemy is a race of evil alien robots who want to destroy the sun. Somewhere towards the end, when you realise the plot literally centres around magic dust, you'll feel ever-so-slightly silly for enjoying it."

Naite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:29 AM   #32
Marvin
Side-Kick

can't be any dumber than the Hangover

I think I'll survive

Old 06-15-2009, 07:16 AM   #33
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Empire online gives it 3/5 stars. Its a mostly positive review, but does point out the flaws that other reviews have so far. Its another positive one at least though:

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/...asp?FID=135198

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #34
Mr. Earle
Banned User

You guys are reading the few lines of the review that each poster decided to site, and thats why you think its all good. Have a good read at this.

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/reviews/th...of-the-fallen/

It got me worried. Its true that aside from the jokes, the first film had a sense of wonder and awe. It would be a shame if this is sterile, kinda like what happened with BB and TDK.

Also,
Quote:
In a curious move, Bay has also seen fit to relegate Bumblebee and Optimus Prime to bit-part players with seemingly more film reel devoted to some unfathomably annoying, and frankly offensive Transformers. But this is only one in a longline of poor decisions, with the return of John Turturro’s Agent Simmons, the pointless introduction of Ramon Rodriguez as tech-head Leo, the equally pointless re-introduction of Josh Handsome and Tyrese Gibson’s super soldiers, and the handling of the nauseatingly cheesy romance also ranking highly. Disconcertingly, there is also more than a tinge of xenophobia about the film, with every non-American treated with a blatant contempt.
this part especially is why i am so worried about the film. I sure hope the retarded Wheelie and Twins dont get that much screentime and that Torturro is less of a retard this time around.

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:33 AM   #35
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Apparently Devastor's got nards.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #36
shigsy2003
I'LL TAKE YOU ALL ON!!!

I feel so sorry for some people. Transformers is not trying to be anything it isn't. It is a big, loud, dumb, immature concept thaat is most importantly FUN. Is that word lost on some critics? I like deep films as much as the next person (American Beauty, TDK, Solaris to but a few) but it is nice to switch off every now and again and have some fun. the three films I mentioned are in no way fun, they can be hard to watch sometimes and I like that but not all the time. The great thing with the first TF film was that I knew what to expect, I knew what the outcome would be and I knew I was going to have a blast watching it. I almost feel ashamed of that going by some of these reviewes, but I won't let that deter me from ROTF. A bigger, longer, louder TF film is not bad IMO. Sure I may not like some of the humour, and some of the new TF might get on my nerves, but hey you have to take the kick ass good with that possible sigh inducing bad.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #37
brimstone_halo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmill216 View Post
So the complaints, in a nutshell, are that the movie is too awesome.

I...can't...wait.

OH YEAH!!! IMAX HERE I COME. I'm all about sensory overload.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #38
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

I don't understand these comments about the movie being stupid if something about it doesn't fall under that category,and especially if the person enjoyed the movie,that type of mentality really bugs me. These guys don't even explain what is dumb about the movie,that is lazy and poor writing in a movie review.

Last edited by S.A.A.D.; 06-15-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #39
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
I don't understand these comments about the movie being stupid if something about it doesn't fall under that category,and especially if the person enjoyed the movie,that type of mentality really bugs me. These guys don't even explain what is dumb about the movie,that is lazy and poor writing in a movie review.
But they do... Read the whole reviews.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #40
The Lizard
Didn't eat Billy

Uh-oh...
Quote:
In a curious move, Bay has also seen fit to relegate Bumblebee and Optimus Prime to bit-part players with seemingly more film reel devoted to some unfathomably annoying, and frankly offensive Transformers. But this is only one in a long line of poor decisions, with the return of John Turturro’s Agent Simmons, the pointless introduction of Ramon Rodriguez as tech-head Leo, the equally pointless re-introduction of Josh Handsome and Tyrese Gibson’s super soldiers, and the handling of the nauseatingly cheesy romance also ranking highly. Disconcertingly, there is also more than a tinge of xenophobia about the film, with every non-American treated with a blatant contempt.
http://www.scifinow.co.uk/reviews/th...of-the-fallen/
See, here's the thing....

There's nothing wrong with a "dumb enjoyable movie" that doesn't take itself seriously, but when the stupid, formulaic schtick elements are repeatedly put forward at the expense of action and character elements that would actually be more awe-inspiring or cool than they are funny or stupid, then we have a problem. Meh ... we'll see.

Last edited by The Lizard; 06-15-2009 at 02:05 PM.
The Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #41
CEREBRAL....
Agent in action!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard View Post
Uh-oh...

See, here's the thing....

There's nothing wrong with a "dumb enjoyable movie" that doesn't take itself seriously, but when the stupid, formulaic schtick elements are repeatedly put forward at the expense of action and character elements that would actually be more awe-inspiring or cool than they are funny or stupid, then we have a problem. Meh ... we'll see.

i can't agree with you more...and like you yup, "we'll see"

CEREBRAL.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:10 PM   #42
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Some negative reviews rolling in making it 4 Fresh & 2 Rotten over at RT.

Quote:
"There is nothing - nothing - in Bay's film that can be taken seriously - although that becomes something of a problem in itself, given Bay's relentless exploitation of imagery from 9/11 and the Second Gulf War..."

Eye for Film
Quote:
"Performance-wise, the machines do tend to upstage the humans"

Screen International
^^ Thats good imo (the second review).

craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #43
Figs
Banned User

Nice to know that the machines upstage the humans...that's how it should be!

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #44
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Den of Geek Review: 2/5

Excerpts from review
Quote:
Yet, even with expectations lowered, and any judgements as to the creative integrity of Michael Bay temporarily put to one side, Fallen makes for a terribly disappointing experience. Which isn't to say there's nothing to enjoy here. Far from it, there are moments of breathtaking technical wizardry that make you long for what could have been, given the right pair of hands at the helm. But this is film-making by numbers, churned out far too quickly on the back of the first film's box office success, and with little consideration of story, character or anything like common sense.

Fallen's gallery of Transformers look quite beautiful at times. Yet Bay still can't manage to give the majority of his robot characters any semblance of character. Save for Bumblebee and Optimus Prime, two Transformers easily distinguishable by their colour and voice (or lack thereof, in the former's case), it's hard to make out who exactly is who, rendering action scenes oddly flat and unengaging.

Worse, Bay seems completely unconcerned with creating any sense of space or logic to his action scenes. There are three major set pieces of note here, with only one really hitting the mark, a wonderful forest battle between a dual sword-wielding Prime, Megatron and other Decepticons (it's hard to tell, really). The other two - an opening Shanghai skirmish and a climactic desert battle that sees the introduction of the impressive Devastator - never take flight in the way you hope they will.

At the heart of Fallen's problems is the distinct lack of new ideas on show. Screenwriters Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Ehren Kruger (the latter apparently a lifelong Transformers fan, though you'd hardly tell from the treatment many staples of Transformers lore are given here - step forward the under-developed rivalry between Megatron and Starscream) seem content to borrow liberally from past movies, and not very good ones at that: Alien vs. Predator, Terminator 3, Spider-Man 3 are just some noticeable for their influence. Elsewhere, the film simply recycles parts of 2007's Transformers in the belief that more of the same will do just fine, substituting Anthony Anderson's bumbling techno wizard with Ramon Rodriguez's Leo, or staging a climactic desert battle that seems eerily similar to the first film's Scorpinok attack, albeit with less flair.

In truth, Fallen makes for a better comedy film than it does an action film. Not quite the outcome many would expect, or would want, but in a film that runs over two and a half hours with very little excitement, it's important to be grateful for small mercies.
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/2679...en_review.html

rashad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #45
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

Sounds ok so far. The only thing I'm worried about is the constant "HOOO-RAAA! TEAM AMERICA! **** YEA!" elements one of the reviews is alluding to. I've always hated that about Bay's films. But I guess that is to be expected, as long as it isn't blatant it won't ruin my enjoyment of the film.

Ace of Knaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #46
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
But they do... Read the whole reviews.
Meh.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #47
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

I'm encouraged by the reviews, because it seems like ROTF may have some of the problems of TF1, it's also more spectacular and extragavant, and with more 'bots and less human actors. ROTF is not gonna change the world or anything, but I just want a good, escapist movie filled with great Transformers action scenes and nostagia for the toys that I love back in my youth.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #48
Cmill216
Senior Case Officer
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigsy2003 View Post
I feel so sorry for some people. Transformers is not trying to be anything it isn't. It is a big, loud, dumb, immature concept thaat is most importantly FUN. Is that word lost on some critics? I like deep films as much as the next person (American Beauty, TDK, Solaris to but a few) but it is nice to switch off every now and again and have some fun. the three films I mentioned are in no way fun, they can be hard to watch sometimes and I like that but not all the time. The great thing with the first TF film was that I knew what to expect, I knew what the outcome would be and I knew I was going to have a blast watching it. I almost feel ashamed of that going by some of these reviewes, but I won't let that deter me from ROTF. A bigger, longer, louder TF film is not bad IMO. Sure I may not like some of the humour, and some of the new TF might get on my nerves, but hey you have to take the kick ass good with that possible sigh inducing bad.
I concur.

Cmill216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:02 AM   #49
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117...goryid=31&cs=1

"With machines that are impressively more lifelike, and characters that are more and more like machines, "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" takes the franchise to a vastly superior level of artificial intelligence. As for human intelligence, it's primarily at the service of an enhanced arsenal of special effects, which helmer Michael Bay deploys like a general launching his very own shock-and-awe campaign on the senses. Otherwise, little seems new compared to the first installment, except that this version is longer, louder, and perhaps "more than your eye can meet" in one sitting. It will reap similar B.O. rewards worldwide."

Old 06-16-2009, 05:11 AM   #50
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Otherwise, little seems new compared to the first installment, except that this version is longer, louder, and perhaps "more than your eye can meet" in one sitting.
Well....that's bad!