very good points man i agree with you.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:04 AM   #27
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Default Re: What is needed to Bring Superman into the 21st Century

ClarkLuthor55, I'm in agreement with you on how to proceed.

The only place I think I differ with you is that I want a prelude to the main story that would involve Jor-El as a Kryptonian rebel - fighting the council to try to save - first Krypton and then, failing that, to save his son.

To continue on from that point, I think a reboot definitely needs Luthor to be the corrupt businessman who is also the source of a lot of high tech innovation in Metropolis. Among other advantages to that, it would allow for Maggie's Sawyer's high tech SWAT team.

The character of Superman himself does NOT need a new visual interpretation. He needs to look like the traditional Superman ... it's the world around him that needs to be as up to date ... and even a little futuristic.

I'd love to see anatagonists like Bloodsport or Metallo (the original version ... not the Transformers inspired version that's prevalent in the comix right now) brought in. I wouldn't use them as main adversaries but they'd be great to use to show Superman's day to day battle.

Last edited by DavidTyler; 06-24-2009 at 10:10 AM.
DavidTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #28
Superman_20
Banned User

This is actually pretty simple stuff to do....

*Costume: Use this model, darken the blue perhaps a little bit to where the blue looks like Spider-Mans shade of blue from the movie and have Routh actually put on a bit more muscle, just get him to be as muscular as possible...

*Story:
Origin story, with more accurate possibilities and an explanation somehow built in as to how it is possible that he traveled through space, from what galaxy or universe, integrate bubble-theory, etc. The story needs to be less fantastic and a little more realistic... he needs to seem as if he were in the real world with real villians and no campy super villians, at least not in the first story and the entire feel of the movie should be much more serious like on the peace on earth novel...

*Director: Spielberg only because i think tarantino wouldn't do it but tarantino would be my first choice

Superman_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #29
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_20 View Post
This is actually pretty simple stuff to do....

*Costume: Use this model, darken the blue perhaps a little bit to where the blue looks like Spider-Mans shade of blue from the movie and have Routh actually put on a bit more muscle, just get him to be as muscular as possible...

*Story:
Origin story, with more accurate possibilities and an explanation somehow built in as to how it is possible that he traveled through space, from what galaxy or universe, integrate bubble-theory, etc. The story needs to be less fantastic and a little more realistic... he needs to seem as if he were in the real world with real villians and no campy super villians, at least not in the first story and the entire feel of the movie should be much more serious like on the peace on earth novel...

*Director: Spielberg only because i think tarantino wouldn't do it but tarantino would be my first choice

Tarantino is too cartoony. Spielberg is the obvious choice but he'd never consider it.

I agree with having to surround Superman with realistic (as much as possible with such a fantasty character) environments and antagonists.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:17 AM   #30
MAN O STEEL
HC is my superman

Quote:
Spielberg is the obvious choice but he'd never consider it.
After going from E.T, Close Encounters, Shindlers list, jurassic park to becoming a hollywood cash cow whore making second rate movies, I'd rather Spielberg stay away myself. I'd like a newcomer who's so eager to make his mark in hollywood that he's willing to go to any extent to make sure he's faithfull & respectfull to the source material at hand. That's just me though.

Steve

Old 06-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #31
JAK®
Upstart

If you want a Superman movie for the 21st century, just read Birthright.

JAK® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #32
Dave_W
Side-Kick

...minus the soul vision and stupid hologram invasion.

Dave_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #33
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Yea many of us have said the best thing they should do is take the best elements off from birthright, all seasons, STAS, smallville, bryne reboot and make something that works well with all those elements and go from there.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 06-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #34
Mostpowerful
*SUPERMAN*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
Yea many of us have said the best thing they should do is take the best elements off from birthright, all seasons, STAS, smallville, bryne reboot and make something that works well with all those elements and go from there.
*cough!* you forgot about this. This is HOW the Superman comicbooks look today and it rocks, and it's been this way for a few years now:

avatar by lere - @stargazer0118 - Superman wears trunks
Mostpowerful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #35
GreenKToo
In the fire

^ I could live with that. It Shows more in the fortress than just boring crystals.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #36
Blackman
King Kong

The art for Secret Origins is fantastic
but I dont like where they are going from the story (based of the presmise)

Blackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #37
batman44
Go Speed GO

I prefer to not even see the FOS in the next film, especially if it's an origin story of some kind.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
batman44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #38
Dave_W
Side-Kick

My God that FOS is horrendous! The Atomic Cauldron? Super Science Lab? Please tell me that toss is from the 60's?!

Dave_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:22 AM   #39
Parousia

Many of you just need a little patience. The WB values Superman and did not bring him back for just a single movie. A new director and lead actor were chosen for the next generation of Superman films. Bringing back a character of this magnitude is not done with a test drive. It is done with a plan to keep building the mileage, for a long road ahead with a new franchise.

Parousia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:01 AM   #40
GreenKToo
In the fire

We have been patient. The franchise that we were hoping for is now dead in the water.
A whole new one will now have to be created from scratch. That takes time, and lots of it. Most of us are just wondering how much time we're going to have to wait for this new start. 4 yrs? 5yrs? longer?

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:48 AM   #41
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parousia View Post
Many of you just need a little patience. The WB values Superman and did not bring him back for just a single movie. A new director and lead actor were chosen for the next generation of Superman films. Bringing back a character of this magnitude is not done with a test drive. It is done with a plan to keep building the mileage, for a long road ahead with a new franchise.
Why did you have to create a new name "Hammy" in order to post and pm this?

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #42
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_W View Post
My God that FOS is horrendous! The Atomic Cauldron? Super Science Lab? Please tell me that toss is from the 60's?!

Unfortunately ... the Silver Age people are at the helm.

I was thrilled when Byrne and Wolfman brought Superman out of that age but I guess DiDio and company can't let it go. I don't know if I'll continue buying the books which is saying something because I've been buying them since I was a kid. I can only hope that the books fall so far behind in sales that someone removes DiDio from his position and brings in another Jeanette Kahn.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #43
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
There's really nothing out of Smallville that I think would be right for a good Superman film.

But I'm opening to hearing what you think they should adapt from it?

Man of Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #44
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
Why did you have to create a new name "Hammy" in order to post and pm this?
What kind of loser would create an alternate account just to PM 100% BS to people?

Oh yeah...

Old 06-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #45
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Tomorrow View Post
There's really nothing out of Smallville that I think would be right for a good Superman film.

But I'm opening to hearing what you think they should adapt from it?
I am a little busy right now, had a crazy day today and i have some things to do. I will get back to you on my thoughts late tonight.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 07-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #46
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTyler View Post
Unfortunately ... the Silver Age people are at the helm.

I was thrilled when Byrne and Wolfman brought Superman out of that age but I guess DiDio and company can't let it go. I don't know if I'll continue buying the books which is saying something because I've been buying them since I was a kid. I can only hope that the books fall so far behind in sales that someone removes DiDio from his position and brings in another Jeanette Kahn.

that would be horrific, her meddling in continuity almost destroyed supergirl and the legion of super-heroes

Old 07-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #47
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
that would be horrific, her meddling in continuity almost destroyed supergirl and the legion of super-heroes

I completely disagree.

The legion was great under Perez and I even liked what my local Syracusan, Tom Peyer, did with the characters. It's when Giffen and co took over that the books turned into cosmic trash.

As to Supergirl ... the only version I ever liked in the comix was Matrix ... and even at that, when she was still naive and prey to Luthor's manipulations. My absolute favourite version is the one from the animated series. That would have worked fine in the immediate Post Crisis DC universe. I did not like Peter David's 'Angel-in-the-Kryptonian-Flesh' version and I don't at all care for the new version ... the New Krypton story-line is awful and Supergirl's presence doesn't improve it.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #48
Fresh Prince
Banned User

Superman dealing with 21st century things. Like a bad economy, humans more and more sloppy and disoriented and high technology that villians could use to take him down. Also a society were the average criminal rule the streets and not mobsters or gangsters anymore. Were the system is messed up and untrustful and not fair.

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #49
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

God the Superman comics could be set back years with Secret Origins....long live Birthright.

LOST- 2004-2010: "The most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people. "

Best comic film of all time. The Dark Knight Rises!

Last edited by NotFadeAway; 07-05-2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: ddd
NotFadeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:28 PM   #50
TheNorwegian
Newbie First Class

Hi folks, I'm new to this board and this is my first post. I've been a fan of Superman in the movies since I saw The Movie in the early 80s. It was always magical and I re-watched it a few weeks ago. My review is posted here.

Anyway, my take on how to update Superman on screen for current audiences.....

Don't pretend the movie is for kids only. Use a director and writer who are not doing alot of these epic movies (meaning, forget Spielberg, Nolan, Bay, Singer), but someone outside the box. Make Superman a global figure, not an "American". Respect the comics but remember that more people have seen the movies and depend on them for mythology. Get an unknown in the lead role. Make sure Superman is vulnerable and "human".

I am not sure it will work to have Superman fight global warming or some other unspecified natural disaster. It needs to be a moral dilemma, and not just a problem to fix. We have seen how silly time reversal is.

I think another Superman sequel will be one of the most difficult movies to pull off nicely. Actually, I dont think they can ever "win" anymore. The legend and luggage they have to deal with is so incredibly huge.

Last edited by TheNorwegian; 07-05-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spelling error
TheNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote