The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

View Poll Results: Should Michael Bay leave the franchise?
Yes 85 55.56%
No 68 44.44%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #276
tekken
Side-Kick

Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

watching a movie like se7en, insomnia, momento, the dark knight, and donnie darko, you HAVE to use your brain. those movies make you think! if you watch them brain dead, they're probably really boring. ya know what i mean?

what other director could pull off transformers? i honestly think michael bay's done well for the franchise.

tekken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #277
CelticPredator
Banned User

If anyone expected any depth from a movie based off goddamn toys, they are idiots.

Now i'm getting all hyperboleic. Look what you did....

CelticPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:13 PM   #278
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

Nah...I didn't really have to think when watching a movie like Se7en...

I pretty much understood them anyways.

The seven deadly sins are nothing complicated to understand.

LightningFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #279
hitmanyr2k
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekken View Post
what other director could pull off transformers? i honestly think michael bay's done well for the franchise.
Any director that can cut and paste the same exact formula from all his other action movies and blow sh** up.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 PM   #280
Theweepeople
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekken View Post
At this point I wouldn't mind to seeing Peter Jackson, Zack Snyder, or the Wachowski brothers direct a sequel. 10 years ago I would have wanted Lucas or Speilberg to direct these types of movies but, I think they've both lost their directing touch.

CBM hack list:

Mark Steven Johnson, Paul WS Anderson, Brett Ratner, Joel Schumacher, Kenneth Johnson, Rob Bowman, Zak Penn, Simon Kinberg, Avi Arad, Pitoff, John Rogers, and Tim Story.
Theweepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:36 PM   #281
chaseter
Bland User

Please keep Zach Snyder away from this. He is way too stylized. It works for his films but not for this.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #282
CelticPredator
Banned User

Indeed. And I love Snyder.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:41 PM   #283
chaseter
Bland User

I think Spielberg would be good as he is already on this project. Most of the directors people are suggesting like Del Toro, Jackson, etc...are very busy with other huge properties.

The Wachowskis would probably be good but they like doing their own stuff, not picking up where someone left off.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
Old 06-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #284
Theweepeople
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Please keep Zach Snyder away from this. He is way too stylized. It works for his films but not for this.
I'm not saying Zach would be a perfect fit. I am saying some of his movies have an epic feel to them. He's pretty good at directing action sequences and I think he would be a hell of a lot better at adapting the G1 cartoon. I don't think Zack would add unnecessary things to the live action transformers storylines that would piss me off as much as Bay has. I'm really beginning to get the impression bay is purposely trying to anger G1 fans with the following:

Bumblebee not speaking in the first film.

Bumblebee parking next to a yellow voltswagon at the auto dealership.

After regaining the ability to speak at the end of Transformers 1 Bumblebee inexplicably becomes mute in the sequel.

Making Ironhide sound and look completely different from G1 Ironhide.

Making Starscream's robot mode look nothing like G1.

Giving soundwave a cameo in the sequel but, giving a lot of screen time to two stupid and ridiculous looking robots that apparently are so insignificant to the storyline that they aren't featured in the new game and even Bay called them idiotic.

CBM hack list:

Mark Steven Johnson, Paul WS Anderson, Brett Ratner, Joel Schumacher, Kenneth Johnson, Rob Bowman, Zak Penn, Simon Kinberg, Avi Arad, Pitoff, John Rogers, and Tim Story.

Last edited by Theweepeople; 06-22-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Theweepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:50 PM   #285
chaseter
Bland User

When I think of Zach, I think of an epic G1 cartoon adaptation as well. He just doesn't fit with this universe Bay has created and if it works, they won't try to redo it.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:06 AM   #286
CelticPredator
Banned User

There is so much more TF lore then just G1 fans. So....deal.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:22 AM   #287
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Beast Wars was a show based off of toys, but it still had more depth than this giant steaming turd.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:20 AM   #288
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningFlash View Post
Nah...I didn't really have to think when watching a movie like Se7en...

I pretty much understood them anyways.

The seven deadly sins are nothing complicated to understand.
I thought Se7en was funny. It was a comedy, right?

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:58 AM   #289
shigsy2003
I'LL TAKE YOU ALL ON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theweepeople View Post
I'm not saying Zach would be a perfect fit. I am saying some of his movies have an epic feel to them. He's pretty good at directing action sequences and I think he would be a hell of a lot better at adapting the G1 cartoon. I don't think Zack would add unnecessary things to the live action transformers storylines that would piss me off as much as Bay has. I'm really beginning to get the impression bay is purposely trying to anger G1 fans with the following:

Bumblebee not speaking in the first film.

Bumblebee parking next to a yellow voltswagon at the auto dealership.

After regaining the ability to speak at the end of Transformers 1 Bumblebee inexplicably becomes mute in the sequel.

Making Ironhide sound and look completely different from G1 Ironhide.

Making Starscream's robot mode look nothing like G1.

Giving soundwave a cameo in the sequel but, giving a lot of screen time to two stupid and ridiculous looking robots that apparently are so insignificant to the storyline that they aren't featured in the new game and even Bay called them idiotic.
I have a feeling Spielberg had a large part in Bee not speaking. It makes him more lovable as a character and one of the reasons he is so loved. (Hence why they wisely chose to keep it in the sequel). With regards to the way some of the Transformers looked? Well Bay went for what he saw as cool. I was happy providing Prime looked liked Prime and Bee was yellow. For me providing the characters acted similar ro their G1 counterparts, I wasn't too fussed about what they looked like. Although the more faithful the better...obviously.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #290
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
I have a few questions for you about the film. Did Ironhide do any fighting in the movie?
Doesnt really do any fighting, he is involved in a lot of the war scene's and does a lot of shooting, but honestly had a bigger role in the first movie, this was one of my few major problems with the movie.

Quote:
Are the twins completely useless or do they do some fighting?
I found them entertaining and likable, and they get their moment to shine with and fight against non other than Devastator.

Quote:
Are the intro and ending similar to the first film?
If you mean Prime commentating, then yes, scene's are totally different though.

Quote:
Does the ending imply what will happen in the next storyline?
No, its a self contained movie completely.

Quote:
What did you think of Wheelie?
Thought he was great, would have preffered his personality a bit closer to G1 though.

Quote:
I have mixed feelings about this. I think the two did a good job with star trek and I'm very excited to see what they will do with the sequel so maybe it's better that they focus on one franchise. However, if Bay stays I'm concerned that he will have too much control over the writers that replace Kurtzman and Orci. Orci said he and Kurtzman really clashed with Michael during the development of the film. In one interview last december Orci even said there would be many things in the movie that would tick people off.
I have mixed feelings also, its obvious Bay got a lot of say in the 2nd movie, but who knows, we could end up with better writers.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(4)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(5)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(6)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(7)Godzilla-8(8)Neighbours-8(9)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(10)The Lego Movie-7.5(11)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(12)Robocop-7.5(13)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(14)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(15)47 Ronin-6(16)The Monuments Men-5(17)Ride Along-5(18)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:57 PM   #291
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard View Post
Yes, that's called "film criticism". I'm sure Ed Wood had the intent to make good movies too, but it's the final product that must be judged.
no it's called missing the point

how easy would it be for anyone to sit and deconstruct all the missed opportunities at horror and or good story with deep characters sam raimi committed with his EVIL DEAD series

that film for all it's success (especially with those dudes that run Aint it cool) is one of those "turn your brain off to enjoy" type deals in the face of true horror films the likes of japanese horror and european thriller

Evil dead is "awesome" and everyone seems ready to forgive Raimi's "Weak" film in liu of the fact that his intent was to have Bruce Campbell star in a fun and funny take on the genre

but with Bay.....he can't possibly be trying to make a fun movie
he can't be having fun with a genre that has seen the likes of ET, flight of the navagator, the Abyss and many others...

with bay, it's a failure at a serious film

with source material like this 80's toy commercial this film above all others gets called on missed opportunities in drama and story whilst others are seen for the fun times they are

what's next, Tropic Thunder sucks because it's no Thin Red Line or Platoon

the film can be made many different ways, and this time it was played as fun with awesome action and comedy beats

Quote:
So, just to clarify -- who specifically is Bay catering to (besides Bay-loving fanboys of course)? Part of the problem seems to be that Bay is all over the place in trying to appeal to what he considers the mainstream American public -- the hyperactive kids, the frat-boys, the fans of broad simple comedy, etc. But I kind of thought that the whole concept of alien transforming robots was first and foremost a sci-fi concept. So forgive me for applying a sci-fi aesthetic to these movies and using that as a basis for my criticism.
it was a toy commercial first and foermost, your no doubt thinking of the Terminator series.

you seem to be implying that the only people who enjoy TF are "bay loving fan boys?"

interesting

Last edited by Marvin; 06-23-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #292
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Beast Wars was a show based off of toys, but it still had more depth than this giant steaming turd.
well unfortunately for us, this movie was based off of that "esteemed" G1 series

I'm sure beast wars wasn't produced with the intention actually reaching any kind of non cartoon network audience...long story short, it doesn't have to perform the way TF does(and will).

Old 06-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #293
The Lizard
Didn't eat Billy

ROTF is indeed a failure in execution -- even in comparison with the first TF movie. It's poorly paced, uneven, over-long and scattershot in its subject matter and presentation.
I'm willing to place some of the blame on the scripts and quickie revisions being affected by the writer's strike, but Bay ultimately had the final call on the editing and final cut.

I say -- time for a new director for the next TF movie, even if there's no writers' strike messing things up.

Last edited by The Lizard; 06-23-2009 at 11:37 PM.
The Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:36 PM   #294
Wiseman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticpredator View Post
if anyone expected any depth from a movie based off goddamn toys, they are idiots.

Now i'm getting all hyperboleic. Look what you did....
you are a childs play thing!!!!!!!

Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:41 PM   #295
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Thank God.

Now maybe Spielberg and Bonaventura can pick someone who can at least direct and stage action sequences. There's plenty of time for them to cherry-pick the lucky person (unless you're Uwe Boll) and get a decent script on board.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if Bay says "Screw that. I'm coming back for a third entry." Wouldn't be the first time a director said he wouldn't return to a franchise and ends up returning anyway (Rob Zombie, anyone?)

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:11 AM   #296
phoenixflight
Amazing Amazon

Seriously...Michael Bay is the perfect type of Director for a film like this. We are not expecting Oscar winning performances from a film like this. He delivers what we expect...killer fight scenes, unique action sequences and louder than hell explosions. Let him finish the franchise with a BANG...bring on the third film.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #297
Rac
Deadite

As long as the replacement ain't McG, Brett Ratner or Stephen Sommers...

EDIT: Though I'm not so sure about McG. Only thing that sucked in TS was the script/story, imo.

Last edited by Rac; 06-24-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:50 AM   #298
BillyZaned
Banned User

10 bucks say if not Bay, then the dirctor of the Mummy movies... ugh

BillyZaned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #299
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Skids and Mudflap are pretty useless because nothing they do is relevant or significant to the story besides one painfully forced moment. They never do a damn thing.

The Devastator sequence didn't stop or change anything.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #300
matrix_ghost
milfhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Thank God.

Now maybe Spielberg and Bonaventura can pick someone who can at least direct and stage action sequences. There's plenty of time for them to cherry-pick the lucky person (unless you're Uwe Boll) and get a decent script on board.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if Bay says "Screw that. I'm coming back for a third entry." Wouldn't be the first time a director said he wouldn't return to a franchise and ends up returning anyway (Rob Zombie, anyone?)
See Spileberg has , will and shall probably always continue to fully support MIchael Bay. Michael Bay and him are big buds and i don't think that will change after TF:ROTF. So you can pretty much forget that that he'll choose someone else.

And there is only one thing that can make Michael Bay leave this franchise.
Money.

If this movie makes at least the same amount of cash as the first one , he'll be back.

Rambo is better then viagra. Heck it should be mandatory viewing for us males before we bang our women
matrix_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote