The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

View Poll Results: What did you think of TF:ROTF?
So so 65 16.37%
Good 83 20.91%
Awesome 140 35.26%
Bad 44 11.08%
Really bad 65 16.37%
Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #301
Vader4TL

Default Re: The Transformers:Revenge Of The Fallen user review thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
The criticisms are warranted definitely. But, they are the exact same criticisms as the first film. If you honestly think Bay directing with the exact same writers are going to make a truly amazing film experience with an amazing plot and characters then sorry you set yourself up for letdown.

This has sex jokes! Shocker since the first film did too. This has bad dialogue! Ditto. This has racism! So did the first. This has a skimpy/contrived plot! You get the point................
To a degree I agree with you. It's not the content itself, it's the volume it comes in.

Basically someone sat there (either Bay or Speilberg or whoever) and decided:

"You know what, the first film - flawless. Absolutely flawless. Do what you did there, but multiply it by ELEVENTEEN THOUSAND!"

And therein lies the faults in this film.

Yes you can forgive the crappy parts of TF1 because the pacing and balance covers over the cracks if you allow it - in ROTF it's so badly shoved in your face at sonic speeds that you can't avoid it.

You can find a flaw in every film, even TDK, which is to date regarded as the best of it's genre. However there's picking something apart for the sake of it and having genuine concerns over content - and that is what seperates this film from it's previous installment.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #302
Vader4TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
Example: Bee fights that constructicon. Its one on one and its cool. Why isnt he next to Prime, why doesnt he have any help from the other autobots? Ehm..... Megan Fox'es boobs!
BB was there to cover Sam. He states about midway through the film that his loyalties lay with Sam whatever happens, and he'll die to defend him. The other Autobots and NEST operatives are in the fight of their lives against maybe 15 - 20 generic decepticons protecting Prime's body and waiting for Sam.

Quote:
I think they moved the cube to the city to hide it...somewhere in the buildings or something...
The thing with Bay is that he thinks of the action scenes first and then twists the plot around to suit the action. It should be the other way around.
I dunno about this one. One of my favourite scenes in cinema history is the Tyrannosaurus rampaging through San Diego from Lost World. I think you need to decide when you make a film of this genre that you're to have some crazy ***** that NEEDS to happen for the experience, and if you can tie the plot in 100%, you've done a damn good job.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #303
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader4TL View Post
BB was there to cover Sam. He states about midway through the film that his loyalties lay with Sam whatever happens, and he'll die to defend him. The other Autobots and NEST operatives are in the fight of their lives against maybe 15 - 20 generic decepticons protecting Prime's body and waiting for Sam.

I dunno about this one. One of my favourite scenes in cinema history is the Tyrannosaurus rampaging through San Diego from Lost World. I think you need to decide when you make a film of this genre that you're to have some crazy ***** that NEEDS to happen for the experience, and if you can tie the plot in 100%, you've done a damn good job.
I agree about Lost World and about moving the cube to the city. But in other cases, it hasnt worked so well.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #304
The Lizard
Didn't eat Billy

As far as the claim that ROTF is being criticized on the same points that the 2007 TF was, there is one big thing that makes a difference here, I think that thing was the writers' strike.

Honestly, what makes this movie so much worse than the first one and a chore to watch in parts is the fact that it seems to be parts from three totally different scripts smashed together in the most clumsy way imaginable. There wasn't nearly enough editing to solve this problem, thus we have the overly-long running time which only accentuates the fractured nature of the film.

There's the silly-comedy Transformers, with dog humping gags, Wheelie gibbering, Sam goofing around at college with his wacky parents and the Twins doing their Amos n' Andy routine while Mikaela just pouts about Sam not saying he loves her.

Then there's the dark, disaster movie Transformers, with an evil genocidal villain eventually coming back to earth, aircraft carriers sunk with whole crews lost, and hundreds of people killed as collateral damage while parallels to 9/11 are mentioned and the President seems ineffectual.

Then there's the wacky fun, fantasy Transformers, with weird but entertaining developments like the introduction of old man Jetfire, the sexy Pretender ****icon, Sam's Indiana Jones-type quest to find the source of the symbols in his head and the attempt to revive Optimus.

The problem is that these differently-structured movie plots are NOT combined with any sort of grace, restraint or artistry at all. Thus the film is indeed schizophrenic, chaotic and sloppy.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #305
SuperJediHero
Mind BLOWN!!!

Can't goto Midnight, gotta finish some work

Why NO 8am Showing??!

Old 06-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #306
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Here we go now.

Its a movie based on toys!

Well guess what? Spider-man is a movie based on a comic book.

Pirates of the Carribbean is a movie based on a Disney theme park ride.

- CM Punk
Old 06-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #307
CelticPredator
Banned User

Huh uh? Comic books are waaaay different then toys.

POTC was just a good mix of people...

But neither are made to sell more toys. TF is.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #308
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticPredator View Post
Huh uh? Comic books are waaaay different then toys.

POTC was just a good mix of people...

But neither are made to sell more toys. TF is.
POTC (first one at least) was simply brilliant and fun. Smart humor, smart plot, great performances, great direction. TF cant even compare.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #309
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

No toys for Spider-man and Pirates of the Carribbean? Could've fooled me. I wonder what all that stuff at the toy stores was then.

The Lizard sort of perfectly summed up my feelings on the story. So thank you.

- CM Punk
Old 06-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #310
CEREBRAL....
Agent in action!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticPredator View Post
No, we're "fighting" you guys because we like Bay's 'Formers...we're fighting you because you are being ****ing ***** to everyone. Its pissing everyone off.

Look at Lizard....has he insulted ANYONE? No....he didnt like the movie. So what.

But you....you are just attacking EVERYONE. How about you come back when you want to discuss/agrue like a rational human being. Not an angry bitter kid.

And by the way, I debated up and down the Wolverine board....but I NEVER called anyone stupid, or dumb for liking it. Ever.

(unless they say it has a good plot, story, acting, ect...)

Find me where i attack'd anyone or call them names?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #311
CEREBRAL....
Agent in action!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
What's insulting is that people keep going on and on about this LAY OFF IT, ITS NOT MEANT TO BE AN OSCAR WINNER, AND YOU SHOULD EXPECT THIS FROM BAY. And since it apparently can't be any better than what it is, we should accept it and like it. Its sickening and I'm not going to be quiet about it.

preach!!!

Old 06-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #312
Nefilim
Side-Kick

looking at all the reviews, I wonder how spielberg is reacting to all the hate, since he was the one who brought Bay on board in the first place....

Old 06-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #313
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefilim View Post
looking at all the reviews, I wonder how spielberg is reacting to all the hate, since he was the one who brought Bay on board in the first place....
Why should he care about what the critics think? The movie is going to make a s**tload, like Mediocre Jones did, thats probably all that he cares about.

EDIT:

Until I see how this movie performs I'm not willing to say that the average filmgoer hated it.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #314
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Here we go now.

Its a movie based on toys!

Well guess what? Spider-man is a movie based on a comic book.

Pirates of the Carribbean is a movie based on a Disney theme park ride.
How are comics and toys equated Comics are decades and decades of excellent source material. The first pirates was a good film but most would agree that the second and third were not great films. Without Johnny Depp, that movie would have been nothing. It worked because it had a great cast.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:47 PM   #315
Theweepeople
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
What did you give the first movie? This isn't my pet movie HAHAHAHA. I know this will not be the best movie of the summer by far. Harry Potter is my pet movie
My pet movie is Star Trek. After seeing it I've enjoyed petting it. Stroking it. Holding and cuddling with it. Rubbing it and thinking pleasant thoughts about it in my dreams.

Quote:
PRETTY MUCH YEAH! The moment it looks like Arcee MIGHT actually do something, she gets blown away. The American military looked like it did more damage to the Decepticons than the Autobots.

Decepticons are apparently ridiculously vulnerable to conventional gunfire despite having insane laser fire power and bazookas as well as having the ability to easily destroy entire aircraft carriers and military subs.
One theory for this is that most of the transformers could be running out of energon since Cybertron was devastated by the wars. I'm not sure where the decepticons get their source of energy from but, the US government might share some energy with the autobots that is converted into energon. Of course I haven't seen the film so my argument could be very weak.

Quote:
This movie is two and a half hours and they couldn't see fit to maybe develop some other robot characters and give them some actual substance besides all the **** with Simmons, Anthony Anderson in the first movie, and the blonde hacker that can't act worth a ****?
I enjoyed the first film but, I agree that Anthony Anderson's character was pointless and Simons was pretty damn annoying at times.

Quote:
To me the the attitude I find pathetic is how accepting you are of it. Like I should just accept how **** it is and just like it for its ****tiness. Its ****, but it had to be **** because they had to meet the **** standards of Hollywood and the **** in Hollywood not getting better so I should just LAY OFF AND ROLL IN THE MUD OF ****.
I admire your passion. I'll at least give you that much.

Quote:
There is enough. Having seen the movie. There was a lot of **** they could've cut out completely. The action scenes go way too freaking long and become tiresome.
That's how I felt about Pirates 3 except I didn't think the movie had that much action. Most of the CGI in that film was wasted on Captain Jack's idiotic monologues to his imaginary selfs or other stupid WTH moments(Tia Dalma turning into a giant, Captain Jack pulling his ship with a rope, and Captain Jack's crew causing the ship to turn upside down).

Quote:

He basically brainstormed ideas which he didnt take the time to fit together and make into a coherent movie. He probably wrote the thing while doing coke and blowing his house up and taking a ****. And he is proud of it.
Some people in entertainment have done their best work when high. Jimi Hendrix and Miles Davis are good examples. Basketball hall of famer Phil Jackson he was stoned during his most productive year as a forward for the knicks. Maybe sometime in the future the critics and other movie analysts will look back on this film and notice some subliminal messages that end up having a positive effect on our society.

That being said thanks for the laugh and of course I think drugs are bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
Lizard,

Star Trek was good but it wasn't that good. Not to mention, we've already seen this version of Star Trek before. It's called Episode IV A New Hope.
There are similarities(death Star, drilling platform) but, quite a few differences and for the record Star Trek existed 10 years before Star Wars 4 was released.

Star Wars 4's storyline focused on one character's background while Star Trek 2009 focused on 2 characters whose path's were destined to cross.

Star Wars 4 does not have a time warp plotline while Star Trek 2009 does. James T. Kirk and Spock's personalities(motivations) are completely different from what drives Luke to aspire to greatness.

The death star and drilling platform had similarities but, the motivations for their use was completely different. The death star was used for political reasons while the drilling platform was used for revenge.

Now back to the main topic. I'm still excited to see transformers but, I'm very concerned about the film and confused as to why Bay decided to add so many offensive jokes that are sure to irritate the parents of children wanting to see it. I'm not expecting to see a classic but, I don't want to see something that lowers my IQ. I certaintly don't want to feel like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmLAj...om=PL&index=35after seeing Transformers 2.

CBM hack list:

Mark Steven Johnson, Paul WS Anderson, Brett Ratner, Joel Schumacher, Kenneth Johnson, Rob Bowman, Zak Penn, Simon Kinberg, Avi Arad, Pitoff, John Rogers, and Tim Story.

Last edited by Theweepeople; 06-23-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #316
uzazil
Side-Kick

I got a sneak in screening at the imax theater by my house. One of my friends is the manager there. He made me pay the 13 dollars and put it in an envolope for the midnight screening and let me sit in and watch it with all the employees, I must say I was blown away! I loved it for the most part if your there to see a kick ass movie then you'll get your moneys worth. Yes there is some spots it lags but all movies have that. You probably won't like it and nitpick if your a super tf geek (no offence) and think everything should be your way. If your just an average movie goer that liked the first one or just the previews you will get your oos and ahs threwout the film. I give it a solid 8/10 The only parts i didn't like were the twins had to much screen time and were anoying at times. Not too much like jar jar binks but more like a bad character from Dave Chepelle. I got my inner geekasm with optimus tho he has always been my favorite so I loved that aspect. Yes devistator has balls so what everyone in the theater laughed even the women there is a f bomb in the movie but it's a pg 13 so it shoulden't be too bad great movie slow in some spots f bomb best movie I've seen this year there's my review

Old 06-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #317
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
The problem is that these differently-structured movie plots are NOT combined with any sort of grace, restraint or artistry at all. Thus the film is indeed schizophrenic, chaotic and sloppy.
Almost like the movie itself...transformed. .

To those of you who won't "accept" what already exists?

What good does screaming about you don't accept it do?

The movie is made. It exists. You not liking it won't change it, and you not wanting more of the same won't make that happen, either.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 06-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #318
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Almost like the movie itself...transformed. .

To those of you who won't "accept" what already exists?

What good does screaming about you don't accept it do?

The movie is made. It exists. You not liking it won't change it, and you not wanting more of the same won't make that happen, either.
And you constantly spewing your opinion doesn't make it true.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:20 PM   #319
The Guard
Side-Kick

O...k. What does my non existent opinion on a movie I haven't seen have to do with fanboys accepting the movie or not?

I just don't see the point of the "I'm tired of people accepting this" rant. What does that even mean?

"I'm tired of people liking this"?

What are we going to do, break up with TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN because it treats us badly?

And if I'm right
Old 06-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #320
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
O...k. What does my non existent opinion on a movie I haven't seen have to do with fanboys accepting the movie or not?

I just don't see the point of the "I'm tired of people accepting this" rant. What does that even mean?

"I'm tired of people liking this"?

What are we going to do, break up with TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN because it treats us badly?
If you don't like don't read it.

Thats the only advice I can give you.

I skip over alot of your posts for that very reason.

I'm like oh, The Guard is going on another hypocritical holier than thou rant, I better skip it.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #321
The Guard
Side-Kick

How does one know they're going to like it before they read something?

I'm just curious by what people mean by "accepting". Like we were given a choice.

"No, that's not the Transformers movie I want, I choose the other one".

And if I'm right
Old 06-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #322
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard View Post
Everything that people type on these boards is "their opinion". Should we have to type "IMO" after every sentence?

LOL @ the butthurt Bay fans coming after me for stating my opinion. It's just a review guys - get over it.
Yeah, but you said you were RIGHT.

About that arrogant thing, I was just joking. If i wasn't I wouldn't have put this at the end.

When did I ever say I was a Bay fan? I just like the movie.

Star Trek is better, imo, but I like them both.

Seriously, mate, I like you. I disagree with you about, nearly, everything, but you don't insult people and that's cool.

Last edited by Jake Cassidy; 06-23-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:35 PM   #323
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

My review:

****in' Awesome

That is all

Old 06-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #324
CelticPredator
Banned User

Quote:
No toys for Spider-man and Pirates of the Carribbean? Could've fooled me. I wonder what all that stuff at the toy stores was then.

The Lizard sort of perfectly summed up my feelings on the story. So thank you.
Not ONE toy for POTC until almost a year after. And they werent for kids. I should know. I bought them when they first came out.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:59 PM   #325
CelticPredator
Banned User

And he has an opinion too. He has the right to dissect opinions.

Closed Thread