The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

View Poll Results: What did you think of TF:ROTF?
So so 65 16.37%
Good 83 20.91%
Awesome 140 35.26%
Bad 44 11.08%
Really bad 65 16.37%
Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 01:17 AM   #1301
AnorexicBatman
Side-Kick

Default Re: Transformers: ROTF User Review Thread

My Final Verdict:

I will say that the movie’s supporters generally say things like “It’s not supposed to be brilliant, just turn your brain off and have fun!” Sorry but, “turn your brain off” and “have fun” are directly contradictory. I’m not going to give any movie a break and pretend I’m stupid because it has expensive special FX (not good, expensive).

Anyways, it’s sort of a sad statement about entertainment when this quality of movie does so well. It’s just encouraging studios to abandon plot and acting in favor of girls bending over and junk blowing up.

Raditz had triggered a memory that Vegeta wished never existed. He grabbed Raditz by his neck, lifted him up a good few feet off the ground and slammed his body into the large metallic wall behind them, paying no heed to his cries of mercy and slowly tightening his grip, “DON’T YOU EVER! REMIND ME OF THAT AGAIN!!”
Old 06-29-2009, 02:18 AM   #1302
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

^You and I are on the exact same page, AB. At least Public Enemies should help wash the bad taste out of my mouth left by TF2.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:07 AM   #1303
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Well, that was stupid. I know the common opinion is that "At least it was a good action movie," but it wasn't, because good action movies aren't stupid. T2 is a good action movie. The Bourne Ultimatum is a good action movie. This isn't.

"Stupid" is the only way to describe it. The plot is laughably incomplete, there is not an ounce of drama or weight to anything that happens, the characters are completely irrelevant and the film as a whole, is embarrassing. There are entire characters and subplots that do nothing and go nowhere, and don't seem to be in the film for any actual reason at all. I like long movies, but when thirty minutes of your film don't serve any purpose, then your movie is too damn long.

Sam's roommate should not have been in the film. The humanoid decepticon should not have been in the film. The college sequence should not have been in the film. The twins should not have been in the film. The list goes on. These things shouldn't have been in the film because they do nothing. Even though some of them provide humour, it's usually stupid and worthless. Great, the dogs are humping again--and Michael Bay decides to cut to that in the middle of the scene, why, exactly?

The guy must be suffering from the most severe ADD on the planet. Here we are in the middle of--DOGS HUMPING--a scene where stuff that we're supposed to--DOGS HUMPING--think is important is happening, and he keeps jumping over to stupid jokes for no reason.

The soldiers drop Optimus off. That is all they do in this movie. There's a subplot about the government having second thoughts about the autobots, but if you think about it, it's irrelevant. Nothing in the movie is affected by this subplot. If you cut that subplot out of the movie, everything would be exactly the same. This is a symptom of stupid writing. If the things that happen in your movie don't actually matter, that's stupid writing. That's a stupid movie.

As for the action, well, like the first one it was a mixed bag. The robot designs are so hard to read and Michael Bay's directing so erratic that scenes that could have been exceptional become, at best, mediocre, and at worst, completely incomprehensible and worthless.

That said, the movie had one virtue: Optimus Prime. Even though he wasn't given anything to do besides fight, he said and did the things that I expect Optimus Prime to do, and for those parts of the movie, I felt like they had established a direct line to my childhood. Optimus rolling in and decimating the Decepticons before his death gave me flashbacks to Transformers: The Movie. I just wish that there had been an actual movie built around these parts.

Also? Hilarious this, hilarious that, I win and you lose.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:18 AM   #1304
JokerLedger
Side-Kick

I loved all the scenes with Jetfire.
Kickass movie... that's all I'm gonna say.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:22 AM   #1305
Casius--J
Web Master

I voted good, I enjoyed the movie but as some of you have said already there were some MAJOR problems with it.

I need to give it another viewing before giving my final verdict, but I will say that it was a bit too long. Take out almost all the college part, the stupid humping scenes and constant "receving communication sir, fire on target blah blah blah" and to me it would be much better!

Old 06-29-2009, 04:30 AM   #1306
Nivek
Banned User

I got to say, this film really just illustrates the divide between fan's seeking mindless entertainment, and fan's who want everything dead serious and thought provoking.

Personally, I think alot people need to lighten the hell up. I figure it making $200 million in 5 days would shut up alot of detractors and complainers, but now I see any positivity peppered with people calling anyone who enjoyed it "Stupid, Moronic, Retarded" and all kinds of crap.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:42 AM   #1307
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo-13 View Post
Did Sam die? He looked to me like he was just uncinscience and then had the vision with the Primes. I need to re-watch it. There's too much to take in after one viewing.
i really think that Sam just had a vision from the shard from the Allspark. i really dont think it was the TF heaven. but i will say that i think Bay wanted it to look like heaven.

Sam had every information from the allspark. i think when he gets blown up he is just between the line of alive and dead.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:47 AM   #1308
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Indiana Jones View Post
How's it going Golgo. Good to hear you enjoyed ROTF.

You know...I really hope Wheelie comes back in the third one cause he was so awesome in ROTF. So cute. I hope he transforms into the yellow/white/orange car...
i also o hope he comes back. i think he will be shown like a pet in the third movie. like a little dog.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:09 AM   #1309
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
I
16) Couldnt the helicopter not throw Prime's dead body? I mean, he's the greatest leader and warrior of the universe!
that was the point. remember after Shanghai how they had soldiers with them on the plane? how they showed respect? OP was also a soldier and a good one who did good things for the last 2 years. and when he was dead they just threw him down like he is just a machine.

i think this was a great scene and showed how humans just didnt care for the robots. i also liked how ironhide than says that they should left earth when they told them.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:32 AM   #1310
KingOfMars
feed the dementia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
I got to say, this film really just illustrates the divide between fan's seeking mindless entertainment, and fan's who want everything dead serious and thought provoking.

Personally, I think alot people need to lighten the hell up. I figure it making $200 million in 5 days would shut up alot of detractors and complainers, but now I see any positivity peppered with people calling anyone who enjoyed it "Stupid, Moronic, Retarded" and all kinds of crap.
I agree.I cant help but feel that most of the critics of this film think they are more intelligent than they truly are.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:38 AM   #1311
Nathan

Don't forget those that want a good middle ground. I didn't mind most of the humor in the first Movie and it honestly made me laugh. Here it's just way too much and way too dumb.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:39 AM   #1312
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfMars View Post
I agree.I cant help but feel that most of the critics of this film think they are more intelligent than they truly are.

You see I have a different take on that. I think the majority of fans of this movie are far dumber than they realize.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:41 AM   #1313
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Don't forget those that want a good middle ground. I didn't mind most of the humor in the first Movie and it honestly made me laugh. Here it's just way too much and way too dumb.
it would nice if there was a more middle ground.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:07 AM   #1314
KingOfMars
feed the dementia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
You see I have a different take on that. I think the majority of fans of this movie are far dumber than they realize.
let me be clear.I can accept a critique i find honest and thoughtfull, but most of the reviewers act just as juvenile as they claim the movie to be.I am beyond *****ing and moaning about racial steriotypes and moronic humor because it all depends on the individual, some may be offended because as i stated earlier they are sensitive pussies, some may not, personally i didnt care for any of this and i didnt let it effect me, sure it was plagued with a great deal of nonsence, but i never looked down my nose at the people who thrived on it and then patted my back for doing so, in the end all that matters in life is living in bliss.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:17 AM   #1315
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
it would nice if there was a more middle ground.
Bay didn't make a film for the middle ground. The first film is a bit closer to that(critics split 50/50 on it), but no way is this film in that category.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:20 AM   #1316
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfMars View Post
let me be clear.I can accept a critique i find honest and thoughtfull, but most of the reviewers act just as juvenile as they claim the movie to be.I am beyond *****ing and moaning about racial steriotypes and moronic humor because it all depends on the individual, some may be offended because as i stated earlier they are sensitive pussies, some may not, personally i didnt care for any of this and i didnt let it effect me, sure it was plagued with a great deal of nonsence, but i never looked down my nose at the people who thrived on it and then patted my back for doing so, in the end all that matters in life is living in bliss.
If this film was making Resident Evil numbers, then most of the complaining would cease. Because it would be right where it's film quality dictates it should be. But it's likely to be the biggest film of the year, and that is a whole other ball-game.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:25 AM   #1317
Nivek
Banned User

Quote:
I think the majority of fans of this movie are far dumber than they realize.

See, I think comments like this are unnecessary and antagonistic. You don't like it, say your peace, and move on. Don't keep coming on here and insult other peoples intelligence like you have an edge over anyone else.

Last edited by Nivek; 06-29-2009 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:36 AM   #1318
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
If this film was making Resident Evil numbers, then most of the complaining would cease. Because it would be right where it's film quality dictates it should be. But it's likely to be the biggest film of the year, and that is a whole other ball-game.
which is where all the talk of agenda's and "hate" (ers) comes into play

sorry folks if this film aimed for the middle ground it would be making hulk money and that's a fact

a lot of so so strong films go under the radar but this movie was so big
a lot of people saw something they liked in the first, and it looks like a high production(unlike say gi joe which looks like a bbc movie)

if anyone is wondering why the reviews were to the level of ruthlessness they were at is because bay really did his thing this time and its making tons of money
that just rubs people the wrong way

it's funny cause when bay made his first attempt at a "thought provoking" film(ISLAND), the critics literally said, "see, I told you he's a stupid hack, he needs to stick to the big dumb spectacle films cause he sure as hell shouldn't be making movies about real humans"

bay retorts

"meh...LETS....ROLL.."

Old 06-29-2009, 06:45 AM   #1319
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
sorry folks if this film aimed for the middle ground it would be making hulk money and that's a fact
So... if Bay wouldn't have put humping dogs in there, not given us a shot of Turturro's ass and avoided to put a ton of sexual innuendos in there, it wouldn't have made $200mil+. Is that what you're saying?

Old 06-29-2009, 06:55 AM   #1320
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
So... if Bay wouldn't have put humping dogs in there, not given us a shot of Turturro's ass and avoided to put a ton of sexual innuendos in there, it wouldn't have made $200mil+. Is that what you're saying?
it would make the same amount of money IMO. people wanted robots and ,shia,megan and some humor.

i think people dont care for the ass shots. they found them funny like as a joke that you will never remember. but it didnt piss them off to hate the whole movie.
so yes without those jokes it would make the same amount of money IMO.

thats why i am saying that we need Spielberg back. he needs to be on the set. he needs to see when they are doing some rewrittes on the set. he needs to say ''Mike less is more''. that way more fans will like it ....because the masses will come in the theater.

i want to see this again

Old 06-29-2009, 07:00 AM   #1321
Casius--J
Web Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
it would make the same amount of money IMO. people wanted robots and ,shia,megan and some humor.

i think people dont care for the ass shots. they found them funny like as a joke that you will never remember. but it didnt piss them off to hate the whole movie.
so yes without those jokes it would make the same amount of money IMO.

thats why i am saying that we need Spielberg back. he needs to be on the set. he needs to see when they are doing some rewrittes on the set. he needs to say ''Mike less is more''. that way more fans will like it ....because the masses will come in the theater.

i want to see this again

I agree I think if spielberg had been more involved in this picture the film would more family friendly!

Old 06-29-2009, 07:07 AM   #1322
Nathan

I'm really surprised that this kind of languange and adult humor made it in the movie in the first place. I thought this is a kids franchise? I'm not saying keep everything PG, but honestly, robots saying b**ch and f**k. Was that needed?

Old 06-29-2009, 07:18 AM   #1323
Sarge 2.0
Fire Walk With Me

No robot said f**k, but they did say pussy, a-hole, dumbass, and i think one of them said s**t. And Sam's mom said s**t several times. So yes this movie is NOT for kids, in spite of the fact that roughly 50% of the audience is going to be kids.

Confessions of a Completely Harmless Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman
Oh my god, I'm so sorry for your loss. You knew her right? I just assume all canadians know each other
Old 06-29-2009, 07:21 AM   #1324
Nathan

I thought Wheelie said it at least once when he made the Graveyard comment.

*edit*

Meant house of horrors, not graveyard.

Last edited by Nathan; 06-29-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:21 AM   #1325
Sarge 2.0
Fire Walk With Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
Well, that was stupid. I know the common opinion is that "At least it was a good action movie," but it wasn't, because good action movies aren't stupid. T2 is a good action movie. The Bourne Ultimatum is a good action movie. This isn't.

"Stupid" is the only way to describe it. The plot is laughably incomplete, there is not an ounce of drama or weight to anything that happens, the characters are completely irrelevant and the film as a whole, is embarrassing. There are entire characters and subplots that do nothing and go nowhere, and don't seem to be in the film for any actual reason at all. I like long movies, but when thirty minutes of your film don't serve any purpose, then your movie is too damn long.

Sam's roommate should not have been in the film. The humanoid decepticon should not have been in the film. The college sequence should not have been in the film. The twins should not have been in the film. The list goes on. These things shouldn't have been in the film because they do nothing. Even though some of them provide humour, it's usually stupid and worthless. Great, the dogs are humping again--and Michael Bay decides to cut to that in the middle of the scene, why, exactly?

The guy must be suffering from the most severe ADD on the planet. Here we are in the middle of--DOGS HUMPING--a scene where stuff that we're supposed to--DOGS HUMPING--think is important is happening, and he keeps jumping over to stupid jokes for no reason.

The soldiers drop Optimus off. That is all they do in this movie. There's a subplot about the government having second thoughts about the autobots, but if you think about it, it's irrelevant. Nothing in the movie is affected by this subplot. If you cut that subplot out of the movie, everything would be exactly the same. This is a symptom of stupid writing. If the things that happen in your movie don't actually matter, that's stupid writing. That's a stupid movie.

As for the action, well, like the first one it was a mixed bag. The robot designs are so hard to read and Michael Bay's directing so erratic that scenes that could have been exceptional become, at best, mediocre, and at worst, completely incomprehensible and worthless.

That said, the movie had one virtue: Optimus Prime. Even though he wasn't given anything to do besides fight, he said and did the things that I expect Optimus Prime to do, and for those parts of the movie, I felt like they had established a direct line to my childhood. Optimus rolling in and decimating the Decepticons before his death gave me flashbacks to Transformers: The Movie. I just wish that there had been an actual movie built around these parts.
Here's the thing, not only is it a bad action movie because it's stupid, it's a bad action movie because it was boring. There's no excuse for boring in an action movie. And you're right that Optimus may have been the saving grace of this movie (there is only one good moment in the entire movie: Optimus beating the **** out of Starscream, Megatron, and some other unnamed Decepticon). Too bad he's dead for most of it. Even his fight with the Fallen was boring. He also said some things that I would never expect Optimus to say like "Any last words?" and the worst was "Give me your face!". I mean, wtf?

Confessions of a Completely Harmless Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman
Oh my god, I'm so sorry for your loss. You knew her right? I just assume all canadians know each other
Closed Thread