DESI

Default Re: Resistance 3

http://www.ripten.com/2010/10/08/res...ain-character/
Is this true

Old 10-11-2010, 05:21 AM   #53
Havok83
Side-Kick

thats one of the things people were speculating when the screenshots were released

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #54
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

It's confirmed now, the paragraph under GI's cover said "Cappelli is back"

Old 10-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #55
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

This begs the question as to how much time has passed between 2 and 3, because he is sooo skinny now. I want story details.

Alternate/unused GI cover:

Last edited by KALEL114; 10-11-2010 at 07:40 PM.
KALEL114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:00 AM   #56
Superhero 101
DESI

For some reason I like that version of the cover

Old 10-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #57
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

Weapon Wheel is back!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=346

Edit: Here is info on th GI article.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The article starts off with two title pages for the cover story.
- Page 1 depicts the R3 logo, GI's tag line "When Freedom Falls, A Hero Must Stand", and Capelli firing a hard-to-see weapon in the background. It also contains a vague summary of where Resistance 3's plot will go.

- Page 2 depicts a new Chimera, called the "Long Legs", which looks like a really tall mix between a Hybrid and a Slipskull.

The article then gives more detailed plot information.
- The Essential Plot Info: The world has gotten a lot colder. It's like an ice age. Capelli is the main character, he has defected from the military and started a family with Susan (Hale's Stepsister), and Hale is really dead. Capelli decides he must head to New York, where he will somehow be able to save humanity as well as his family (his son is ill due to the freezing cold temperatures) with a vaccine developed by none other than Fyodor Malikov. Malikov developed the vaccine using antibodies from Hale's blood. He will travel with Capelli on their journey to New York (and I have a hunch that he is going to die near the end because the lead writer for R3 said he now bears an attitude of "die trying or eventually overcome").

Next comes a detailed description of the opening levels of the game.
- The intro level *may* be an attack on Capelli's home in "Haven, Oklahoma".
- One level that Insomniac showed off tells part of Capelli and Malikov's voyage on a boat to St. Louis (I guess tons of towns are flooded and ****, so they can take the boat all over the place). They run into alien plant life (a giant, glowing, orange pod that Capelli blows up with his Magnum). They pass a dead Kraken. Grims swarm out of a building and into their ship, so Capelli takes care of business. A Goliath passes over them and drops of some Long Legs for Capelli to deal with. Then Insomniac flashed forward to a scene with Capelli fighting with a bunch of dudes in St. Louis. Everything about human weaponry has become much more ragtag and improvised. The dudes destroy a Chimeran ship and snag its power core to fly their VTOL.

Also included are features that have been added/removed.
- No more 8 player co-op, but the game will feature 2 player co-op in its single player mode. The 2nd character will not be a random soldier this time around. His name is John Harper.
- The frag grenade model is a can of beans with nails strapped around it.
- Human weapons are essentially random pieces of scrap metal combined to form guns, sort of like the weapons in Fallout 3. The "Mutator", for example, is a shotgun barrel taped onto repurposed metal that fires a biological agent and makes Chimera freak out so you can kill them easily with a real shotgun.
- The weapon wheel is back! Capelli can carry all the weapons at once.
- AI has been improved. Chimera can now jump over waist-high objects without Insomniac having to script each action individually.
- No more 60 player fights.
- Weapons are upgradable like in R&C!
- Humans eating humans cuz lack of food.
- One of the multiplayer maps is in an African Prison.
- Chimeran Plant Life (that explodes when shot) shows that the world is changing.

The game will be released in 2011. That's as specific as it gets right now.

Last edited by KALEL114; 10-13-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:08 AM   #58
THE LIZARD#1
Side-Kick

Hahaha very cool to see my bud Laelaps getting his summary passed around the internet.

THE LIZARD#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:19 AM   #59
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Huh, t'is a shame we're not getting any more 8 player co-op, that was the star of Resistance 2 I thought. Wonder how many other players will get in on multiplayer?

Also the plot sounds a little lame... I liked the whole "Left4Dead" vibe I got from the original teaser trailer, I was just hoping for a scenario to scenario struggle to get to a haven of sorts in New York. This story just seems a lot more typical of games.

Anyway, great the the weapon wheel's back and AWESOME that guns will upgrade like in Ratchet.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #60
Superhero 101
DESI

No 8 player co op and no 60 multiplayer nooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
How do you downgrade instead of upgrade?

Old 10-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #61
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

They put all the focus on 2 player co-op through the main story, which I think is cool.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #62
Havok83
Side-Kick

Oh man I hope they add the Co op mode as DLC further down the line

Old 10-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #63
THE LIZARD#1
Side-Kick

Guys, I can honestly say that this is a good design choice on Insomniac's part.

60 player games, as well as 8 Player co-op, was nothing short of unorganized. They went with scale as their main selling point for Resistance 2. Big boss battles, massive multiplayer component and a pretty ambitious co-op. Their design teams were stretched so thin across these three various modes, Insomniac isn't joking when they said "You're basically getting three games for the price of one."

However, to what extent? Resistance 2 was no where near the quality of the original game. The campaign, while fun, just didn't have the same aesthetics that Resistance: Fall of Man brought to the table. And like Insomniac said in their R2 Retrospective podcast, each level didn't get the same amount of polish. Chicago was probably the best/most interesting level out of the whole Resistance 2 campaign, that's because it was the first level they had up and running. The amount of polish that went into it definitely made it a memorable experience.

Unfortunately, the same can not be said for the other levels. The fact that they are pulling back the reigns gives them the potential of polishing every aspect of the game. They want to make a tight knit package and I can honestly see that taking form with the information provided about Resistance 3.

This game will definitely be the best installment out of the three. I can guarantee that.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #64
Superhero 101
DESI

Co op does sound good i was disappointed when you weren't able to play R2's campaign with a friend glad they are bringing that back and even making it better. When do we get to see footage of this game?!!!!

Old 10-14-2010, 01:21 AM   #65
Joe Von Zombie
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
I thought both Resistance 1 and 2 were, at best, average. They definitely fell short of Killzone 2. Maybe 3rd times the charm tho.
Resistance is far more original in concept than Killzone 2 (and even Halo for that matter) which is why this series has really struck a chord with a lot people. You can play your military shooters (COD, Battlefield) or your sci-fi space marine shenanigans (Halo, Killzone,) The Resistance series lets you do both.

There is a huge difference between "I want to honor my loved ones" and "I hate criminals, and want to punish them".

That difference is called "Batman".- The Guard
Joe Von Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #66
Superhero 101
DESI

I wonder now that you are playing as Capelli will you have to colllect health packs like in R1 and RR? Or will the health system be like R2?

Old 10-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #67
Havok83
Side-Kick

I hope its a regenerative health system. Health Packs are so 1990s

Old 10-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #68
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

Official Resistance Timeline.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

1900s
June, 1908 - Tunguska Event: 2,150 square kilometers of forest are flattened in Siberia, Russia in a mysterious explosion. The resulting changes to atmospheric pressure register on barographs as far away as Iceland.
1920s

August, 1920 - Russian mineralogist Leonid Kulik leads a scientific expedition into the Tunguska incident. When his team loses contact with the Russian Academy of Sciences, the expedition is presumed lost to an early winter.

September, 1921 - In the face of European anti-imperialist propaganda and growing fear of infiltration, Russia closes communication with the outside world. A barbed-wire barrier is erected along the length of the Russian/European border. Over the next five years, the barrier is reinforced, eventually becoming solid concrete. When complete, the Russian Wall is longer than the Great Wall of China.

November, 1922 - Nathan Hale is born in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

1927 - The Chimera have begun their attack on Russia. Dr. Fyodor Malikov creates an experimental vaccine which shows promise in creating a resistance to the Chimeran virus. Desperate to stem the Chimeran tide the Russian government orders all surviving soldiers to be vaccinated.

1928 - Most of the Russian soldiers who have received Malikov’s vaccine demonstrate a strong resistance to the Chimeran virus and are effective in fighting the Chimera. Yet some soldiers exhibit erratic and violent behavior. Some disappear from their posts.
1930s

September, 1930 - Almost 90% of the vaccinated Russian soldiers have gone AWOL. These soldiers have banded together into small groups and roam the Russian countryside preying on other humans, they are referred to as Cloven. They become as much of a threat as the Chimera. Dr. Malikov works desperately to improve his vaccine but his efforts are hindered as he has to move from place to place to avoid the encroaching conflict.

May, 1934 - Several miners claim to have unearthed a portion of a buried metallic structure at the Big Scrape copper mine in Nevada, USA. The US government sends federal agents to investigate and interview the miners. Citing safety concerns, the US government seizes control of the mine site and set up a twelve mile military perimeter around the area. Most of the miners later denied the finding, claiming that it was merely a vein of iron ore. The Department of War charters the Special Research Projects Agency (SRPA). Upon its inception, the SRPA has no mission statement or declared goals.

December, 1938 - Senator Robert Taft, a staunch isolationist, views the naval buildup as the first step towards international political involvement and foreign military endeavors. Taft makes it his personal mission to stop Roosevelt’s re-election. A lackluster public speaker, Taft is unable to inspire a following himself. He becomes a zealous kingmaker for a charismatic Junior Senator from Montana, Noah Grace.

1940s

November, 1940 - Noah Grace defeats Franklin D. Roosevelt by the narrowest margin of any Presidential election in US history.

December, 1941 - Fearing for his life, Dr. Malikov flees to England with his research.

February, 1947 - A man believed to be a Russian refugee appears at the British embassy in Estonia. The man’s hands are frozen completely solid around a leather satchel. The man, referred to as “The Runner”, dies en route to Britain. The satchel he carried is found to contain what is apparently a genetically modified human skull.

April, 1949 - King Edward VIII arrives in America on what is presented as a good will tour. In a closed meeting with President Noah Grace, the King presents documentation purporting the existence of a genetically modified Russian army dubbed “Chimera”. Knowing the American isolationist sentiment is against the United European Defense, he urges President Grace to help Europe combat the threat however he can.

May, 1949 - The Alliance for American Autonomy (AAA) is formed with the stated mission of keeping the US out of foreign wars. Their protests of Army recruitment offices and rallies soon draw thousands of participants.

May, 1949 - Hale graduates in the first class of the new Army Ranger Orientation Program. He’s assigned to the 1st Ranger Regiment.

December, 1949 - The Chimera break through points all along the Russian Wall and sweep into Europe. UED Russian invasion contingency plans implemented, but quickly prove inadequate. Fantastic speed and flawless coordination allows the Chimera to roll over static defenses, such as the Bratislava Line in Czechoslovakia.

1950-1952

March, 1950 - Continental Europe falls to the Chimera

December, 1950 - Nathan Hale's and Joseph Capelli’s Project Abraham live trials are successful. Hale is released to United States Army Rangers for clandestine observation.

January 11, 1951 - Joseph Capelli recruited into Sentinel Program at SRPA Station 003.

January 29, 1951 - Joseph Capelli cited for Conduct Unbecoming (struck Senior Officer Lt. Brown during training exercise). Suspended for two weeks.

March 9, 1951 - Joseph Capelli discovered in Warsaw conversion center by Bravo Team March 9, 1951. Sole survivor of Operation Bellerophon. How he survived for six weeks inside the conversion center has been omitted from the official record. His account is unverified.

July 11-14, 1951 - Resistance: Fall of Man. Nathan Hale destroys Chimeran tower in Battle of London

August 20, 1951 - Maine, parts of New Hampshire, Vermont and New York are hit by Spire attacks. President Grace declares the country's first Gray Zone and orders the territory sealed off.

October 14, 1951 - Spire attack claims Chicago and surrounding areas. Government troops seal off a 50 mile radius around the cities. Millions are abandoned to the Chimera as the nation's second Gray Zone is declared.

December 17, 1951 - The northern border of the Liberty Defense Perimeter becomes operational. Defense columns stretch from Ohio to southern Idaho.

April 11, 1952 - Nathan Hale awarded Silver Star for the successful retrieval of eighteen civilians stranded inside gray territory formerly known as Wisconsin.

July 24, 1952 - President Grace orders all remaining US citizens living in outer states to evacuate their homes and move within the Liberty Defense Perimeter, which is nearing completion. He commissions emergency construction of an additional 50 protection camps within the LDP.

August 14, 1952 - Liberty Defense Perimeter completed.

November 10, 1952 - Joseph Capelli demoted from Sergeant to Corporal November 10, 1952 and sentenced to three months inactive status.

1953-1957

February 12, 1953 - Joseph Capelli cited for Conduct Unbecoming. Attacked three physicians during routine checkup at SRPA Station 003 (SFCA). Attending physicians discover Joseph Capelli in a torpid state bleeding from apparently self-inflicted wounds. After violently attacking physicians, Capelli is subdued and then transferred to the G Level Holding Zone. Immediate psychological profile ordered. Status listed as "RED" until further notice.

May, 1953 - Resistance 2. Chimera invade America. A massive Chimeran battleship attack devastates military installations on each coast. 60 percent of U.S. armed forces are killed within the first 72 hours of the assault.

June, 1953 - Daedalus activates all Chimeran towers and routes them to his ship over Chicxulub, Mexico. Nathan Hale kills Daedalus. Atomic bomb detonates, “kick starts” the tower network, surging all energy toward New York City. Wormhole opens over New York City. Joseph Capelli kills Nathan Hale. Malikov finds unique antigens in Hale’s blood that are the basis for a new vaccine against the Chimera virus.

July, 1953 - Capelli is dishonorably discharged from the U.S. Army.

November, 1953 - Capelli makes his way to Haven, Oklahoma, meets his wife Susan, gets married.

July, 1954 - Capelli and Susan give birth to a son, Jack.

August 9, 1957Resistance 3 begins.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archi...-timeline.aspx

Old 10-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #69
samsnee
Side-Kick

So wait, no on-line co-op besides campaign? That 8-player co-op with excellent class system was a great addition in my opinion. I'd hate for them to eliminate it altogether.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:08 AM   #70
THE LIZARD#1
Side-Kick

I wouldn't say they're going to eliminate that design entirely. Sure its going to be absent from Resistance 3. However, that doesn't mean their new IP might incorporate it. I mean look at Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One. They could be doing a new IP based around the 8 player co-op seen in Resistance 2.

@Havok- While health packs are an archaic game mechanic, I personally think they add more to the experience. I mean, Resistance: Fall of Man featured a lot more memorable moments then Resistance 2. I think this was mainly do to the health system Resistance: Fall of Man featured.

I'll use the Cathedral as a prime example. After fighting the waves and waves of Leapers you get a little breather. On the Super Human difficulty, there are a ton of enemies that appear on screen! Sometimes they would manage to lower your health down drastically.

Lets say you're at about half health. After killing all of the Leapers the boarded up hallway in the Cathedral explodes. Out of the dust come two Steelheads charging at your position. You're taken off guard and they mange to pump you with a few bullets from their Augers.

You are now down to one last health bar!

This archaic system definitely increases the tension of a given scenario. While some would view this to be frustrating, I think if the game is fun enough it sort of balances out the frustration.

Thats just my two cents. I really hope they return to the health system.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #71
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

It's official. Resistance 3 gameplay footage at the VGA's.

http://www.spike.com/video/vga-2010-resistance/3501968

IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII
IIII
Old 12-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #72
Superhero 101
DESI

so is that the big reveal sony has?

Old 12-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #73
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

No. That has not been announced. Just rumors and speculation at this point.

IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII
IIII
Old 12-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #74
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Sweet this makes me happy.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #75
Havok83
Side-Kick