The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Old 06-25-2009, 02:04 AM   #326
roach
I am the night

Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

saw the movie and didnt say anything to be offended about

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:10 AM   #327
rnewbz
More human than human

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I see...so now it's "They look different than the others".

They're supposed to be different, in appearance, in style, and in tone, so that frankly, pretty much makes sense from a design standpoint.

I didn't realize I'd been responding to a statement you made about them looking "different" than the other Transformers, though.

I could have sworn that you made a point about monkeys, and that I responded to it with the obvious: All the movie Autobots seem to have some simian like attributes. Even Prime, in some respects.

http://ekle.us/media/Transformers/OptimusHead.jpg

Usually I don't need to. But apparently people need reminded what racism actually means.
So it makes sense for Transformers to look like apes? The other Transformers do not have simian attributes sorry but they don't. One can definatley tell from looking at the other Transformers that they do not look like monkeys. How from a design standpoint does it make sense? Transformers look different but making two transformers who act ghetto and are uneducated and have them look like monkeys is pretty non-pc.

It's racially insensitive no matter how you spin it. There wouldn't be a thread and countless reviews talking about it if people didn't find a problem with it.

rnewbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:16 AM   #328
rnewbz
More human than human

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Weed is also in this movie and everyone knows that all Rastafarians smoke weed so you have just uncovered another level of racism
Except the rastafarians are not a race, but members of a religious movement...

rnewbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:16 AM   #329
chaseter
Bland User

Optimus Prime and Iron Hide definitely have ape characteristics.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:16 AM   #330
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewbz View Post
Except the rastafarians are not a race, but members of a religious movement...
It was a joke, mocking this thread

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:13 AM   #331
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Michael Bay and voice actor Reno Wilson (Mudflap) on Twins racist allegations

Quote:
Bay said the twins' parts "were kind of written but not really written, so the voice actors is when we started to really kind of come up with their characters."

Actor Reno Wilson, who is black, voices Mudflap. Tom Kenny, the white actor behind SpongeBob SquarePants, voices Skids.Wilson said Wednesday that he never imagined viewers might consider the twins to be racial caricatures. When he took the role, he was told that the alien robots learned about human culture through the Web and that the twins were "wannabe gangster types."

"It's an alien who uploaded information from the Internet and put together the conglomeration and formed this cadence, way of speaking and body language that was accumulated over X amount of years of information and that's what came out," the 40-year-old actor said.

"If he had uploaded country music, he would have come out like that."It's not fair to assume the characters are black, he said."It could easily be a Transformer that uploaded Kevin Federline data," Wilson said. "They were just like posers to me."

Kenny (Skids) did not respond to an interview request Wednesday.
- Associated Press

craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:38 AM   #332
Nathan

Quote:
"I purely did it for kids," the director said. "Young kids love these robots, because it makes it more accessible to them."
Great, as if I didn't hate today's youth enough. Let's go ahead and teach kids even more slang and how to be as irritating as humanly possible. Weren't Bumblebee and Wheelie enough? We get some badass and great additions to the Autobot side, but of course the focus is put on the retards of the group.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:40 AM   #333
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post

- Associated Press
That should end this.

But it probably won't.

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:44 AM   #334
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Sideswipe was such an underused character and Ratchet really got the axe in this one in terms of screen time and focus. The Twins had way to much time goofing around. 30 seconds would have been suffice and actually seeing Sideswipe, Jolt, and Arcee and the other girls fighting alongside the main crew.

Instead we get the Twins goofing around like baboons and the army shtick gets dragged on for far to long in Egypt.

craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:47 AM   #335
Bunker
Banned User

Watching Bumblebee rip *****es apart and OP ****ing everyone up in sight with duel-wield swords made me realize how ****ing awesome this could have been.

Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:51 AM   #336
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:
"I purely did it for kids," the director said.
Mudflap or Skids (can't remember which): "Because he's a pussy."

Oh yeah. Kids love pussy.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:57 AM   #337
Nathan

Let's compare this to Power Rangers. Kids watched Power Rangers because they loved to see their colorful heroes kick ass and at the end own the enemy with a giant robot. They didn't watch it for Bulk and Skull.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:59 AM   #338
CelticPredator
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Mudflap or Skids (can't remember which): "Because he's a pussy."

Oh yeah. Kids love pussy.
You know they didnt mean that.

One...its PG-13. Period.

Two....most kids say worse things anyway. And they'll learn the damn words anyway, so who the **** cares?

CelticPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:00 AM   #339
Krozee
Previously on Lost

its really ironic because the ones who think its racist and stereotypical are the ones who are racist and stereotypical. obviously you wouldnt see them in that sense unless you have a stereotypical interpretation of people.

everyone gets so ralled up over stuff, they just needs to take a huge hit, cough, and relax. that way were all on the same page

Old 06-25-2009, 04:04 AM   #340
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticPredator View Post
You know they didnt mean that.

One...its PG-13. Period.

Two....most kids say worse things anyway. And they'll learn the damn words anyway, so who the **** cares?
Well, we obviously care because otherwise we wouldn't mention it, would we? And stop excusing everything because it's PG-13. PG-13 doesn't mean that you have to include mind-numbingly stupid humor.

I don't mind Bumblebee or the parents, but the retard twins, Wheelie humping a leg, Transformers testicles were simply not needed and partly ruined my enjoyment of the Movie because I was busy facepalming.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:08 AM   #341
CelticPredator
Banned User

PG-13 means you can get away with it.....

Facepalm all you want, but everyone needs to stop with the "Kids well see this OMG!"

Well....it's PG-13. Either take your kid or dont. Or learn to read...you guys arent Skids or Mudflap.

PG-13 foooor......
intense sequences of sci-fi action violence, language, some crude and sexual material, and brief drug material

Old 06-25-2009, 04:23 AM   #342
Nathan

Again, just because it means you can get away with it, doesn't mean you have to put it in in the first place. How about putting some level of niveau into this movie and stop scrapping at the bottom of the barrel for vulgar jokes?

The fans of the orginal Transformers have grown up.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:30 AM   #343
CelticPredator
Banned User

I'm not talking about weather Bay should have or shouldnt have, i'm saying, stop crying about the kids.

And no, the original fans havent grown up...or atleast a lot of them if they want Bay to die for putting flames on Prime. That **** right there is stupid. Utterly ****ing stupid.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:33 AM   #344
Hectorminator
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post

- Associated Press
I heard about these characters being racist, and just got back from watching the movie.

THIS is exactly what I got from it, that they're wannabe gangsters, like little white kids trying to be black. And I remembered the line from the first movie that is said after Sam asks why Jazz was talking the way he was: "We have learned Earth's languages from the world wide web."

Not nearly as racist as Jar Jar. Not even close.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:34 AM   #345
The Apocalypse
Pokeballin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorminator View Post
I heard about these characters being racist, and just got back from watching the movie.

THIS is exactly what I got from it, that they're wannabe gangsters, like little white kids trying to be black. And I remembered the line from the first movie that is said after Sam asks why Jazz was talking the way he was: "We have learned Earth's languages from the world wide web."

Not nearly as racist as Jar Jar. Not even close.
Don't you mean thug?

The Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:37 AM   #346
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticPredator View Post
I'm not talking about weather Bay should have or shouldnt have, i'm saying, stop crying about the kids.
Believe me, I'm done with kids. This is what I personally feel. I don't want Transformers to be filled with nothing but stupid and vulgar jokes anymore. Transformers 1 was fun, ROTF stepped into stupid territory, I fear for Transformers 3. We might get the Skids and Mudflap fart off that was mentioned.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:39 AM   #347
Octoberist
point blank

The Twins can offensive anybody. Not because they're portraying stereotypes of African Americans. They're offensive because they useless characters with stupid dialog that doesn't add anything to the plot.

See, I don't mind Wheelie or John Torrio's agent because at least they did something important in the movie. Heck, just because the Twins spit out stupid one liners every 15 minutes is not character development. It was meant to remind you that you're watching Transformers, as they walk aimlessly in the background.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #348
The Lizard
Didn't eat Billy

Quote:
"I purely did it for kids," the director said. "Young kids love these robots, because it makes it more accessible to them."
Further proof that Michael Bay actually hates his audience and thinks the general moviegoing public is made up of idiots.

He's not a racist, he just thinks we're ALL retards with ADD.

The Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:03 AM   #349
Nathan

And it's difficult to prove him wrong with all the money it's making. Spielberg, we need you for quality control.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #350
Ibn
Side-Kick

If you delve into the dialogue, outside of the "bust a cap in your ass", theres really nothing stereotypical about what they're saying. It just so happens that that was how the actor chose to read the lines. ****, that might have been his real accent. He was saying regular **** in a stupified accent. I'm black and I wasn't offended. Just my intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk View Post
I think it says more about the person watching the movie if they see those types of characters and immediately think of black people.
Close thread.

"I know what you want. You want to be Batman!"
Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote