The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Old 06-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #451
DarknessOfDeath
Saving the Galaxy...

Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Both Bumblebee and Prime got my love I wish Sideswipe and Arcee were part of the convoy but what can you do?

I hope in the third one... Rachet and Ironhide and em get the screen time they deserve.

I could do without the twins being in the third.

And Quill... Your ship is filthy. - Gamora
She has no idea. If I had a blacklight, this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting. - Peter Quill
DarknessOfDeath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #452
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

^ I think that's one thing we can all agree on.

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #453
DarknessOfDeath
Saving the Galaxy...

If the twins do appear in the third which I'm sure of it. Hopefully they won't be in it for long. I at least want them to have less to do.

She has no idea. If I had a blacklight, this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting. - Peter Quill
Old 06-26-2009, 06:29 PM   #454
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

They could get killed by Sideswipe. They annoy him too much and he just snaps.

"**** it. I'm sick of this ****!"

Cuts them in half with his awesome blades.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #455
DarknessOfDeath
Saving the Galaxy...

Heh. That would be awesome. heh.

Honestly though. I thought the twins weren't in it that much. Their scenes were pretty quick. I guess I'm the only one who felt this way but like I said before. I would have done with fewer scenes of them and more scenes with Sideswipe, Rachet, Arcee and Ironhide.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #456
DarKush
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostPoet View Post
Funny enough...it's the black directors that are creating that stereotype more than white directors.
Please provide examples of black directors creating this stereotype? Now, I'm sure there are some black directors that use stereotypes and demeaning depictions of black people, but did they create those stereotypes? Or merely profit from them like white directors do? Furthermore, compare the number of movies from white directors compared to black directors, and then take a look at the type of black characters in the movies of each. I think you'll see occassional buffoonery in films from both, but at least with films from black directors you might get a diversity of black characters, that come from all social strata. Usually in majority white films, there is one black character and they are often used as comic relief, objects of sympathy or pity, someone to be saved, sacrificial lamb, or just a helpmate, the bland black best friend type of roles. Roles that do little but make black people objects of derision, or keep them inconsequential from the main happenings.

I haven't watched RotF. I didn't care for the first Transformers movie so this one didn't interest me. But I have read about the twin thing, and seeing what Bay did with Jazz, it didn't give me much hope.

I would like to know what some of the people who declare that the twins aren't racist, and it seems that is a commonly held view among many posters, if someone would tell me what they consider would be racist?

Some of the comments remind me of when people say the n-word just refers to an ignorant person and it doesn't necessarily always have a racial connotation. I'm sorry, but it does, and there's a long painful history behind that word that backs that statement up.

Are there ignorant black people? Yes. Do some fit some of the gansta stereotypes? Yes. But is that the majority? Of course not. However, that seems to be the majority depiction for black people in the mass media, and it's a skewered and negative depiction that doesn't increase racial/ethnic understanding. It only hardens feelings or confirms suspicions that 'they' are all like that, if you see the same kind of crap over and over again. Bay could've just as easily made the characters rockers if he wanted to appeal to youth, or perhaps had them acting generically young. It didn't have to be race/culture specific.

Just because some black people co-sign some of these negative images doesn't mollify me or justify stereotypical portrayals. We are fed the same type of negative garbage time and again as others so many of us buy into the stereotyping of our own people as well.

Last edited by DarKush; 06-26-2009 at 10:04 PM.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #457
bullets
bang bang

I didn't see anything racist about the twins at all.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:20 PM   #458
DarKush
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAl View Post
they were dumb characters but they werent racist, they were just put in the movie to be funny. People are so sensitive these days, im sure if they acting like rednecks there wouldnt have been a single outcry of racism

No one would be 'crying' racism, because it would be a white director making a film depicting other white people perhaps in a negative light. Then a charge of regionalism or classism perhaps could be made.

I see no problem with black people, or others, pointing out something they feel is negative. There is a whole history of negative depictions of black people, and the entertainment industry has profited for decades, hell a century off of it.

Minstrel shows were one of the earliest forms of mass entertainment in America. Then you had movies like Birth of a Nation, TV shows like Amos n' Andy, newspaper articles describing black people in the most vile ways, Stephin Fetchit, mammies, and so much crap that black people were subjected to without much recourse. But that didn't mean that there weren't always people protesting these images.

Blaxoploitation movies and now gangsta rap are just an updated version of some of that stuff, and unfortunately there are a lot of blacks who make money putting those images out there. But there were black minstrels too, and that didn't make minstrely right, nor does black people being behind some of these negative images today, make it any less vile.

It's not about 'whining'. It's about having an understanding and appreciation of history. If you can dehumanize a person, make them the other, its easier to oppress them. African Americans right to vote was only secured 40 years ago. The scars of slavery and segregation have not fully healed. We have every right to assert our dignity and to let people know that we are not going to turn the page back. What's funny to one person might not be funny to another, it could be degrading or dehumanizing.

DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #459
bullets
bang bang

Yeah , people need to respect the gold tooth.

seriously though , i didn't look at those characters and think about black people. i thought they were just immature emulaters of pop culture.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #460
The Guard
Side-Kick

How is gangster rap the same thing as a minstrel show? Seems to me like it's almost the polar opposite. Negative, perhaps, but in a markedly different way.

Quote:
I would like to know what some of the people who declare that the twins aren't racist, and it seems that is a commonly held view among many posters, if someone would tell me what they consider would be racist?
Racism is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

If you can explain to me how the bots in the movie actually qualify as racist, I'm all ears.

Quote:
Are there ignorant black people? Yes. Do some fit some of the gansta stereotypes? Yes. But is that the majority? Of course not. However, that seems to be the majority depiction for black people in the mass media, and it's a skewered and negative depiction that doesn't increase racial/ethnic understanding.
The majority of black people in the mass media are depicted as ignorant and gangster?

Really?

Do you really want to stick with that statement?

Quote:
It only hardens feelings or confirms suspicions that 'they' are all like that, if you see the same kind of crap over and over again.
Only for idiots. People who can't rationalize, and assess the reality of the world, with all the different kinds of people around them.

Quote:
Bay could've just as easily made the characters rockers if he wanted to appeal to youth, or perhaps had them acting generically young. It didn't have to be race/culture specific.
Obviously it did have to be, in the director's mind. Because Bay values that style, that MTV culture that a LOT of kids have bought into.

Quote:
Just because some black people co-sign some of these negative images doesn't mollify me or justify stereotypical portrayals. We are fed the same type of negative garbage time and again as others so many of us buy into the stereotyping of our own people as well.
Well that's all well and good...

But what does that have to do with Transformers?

That is an entirely seperate issue. And what, in this movie, suggests that all blacks are like this?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 06-26-2009 at 10:31 PM.
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:29 PM   #461
CelticPredator
Banned User

Kids dont listen to rock any more. Some do, but most do not.

CelticPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #462
The Guard
Side-Kick

Sad but true.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #463
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticPredator View Post

What the hell is wrong with these kids.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:34 PM   #464
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
and that's why this world is going to hell.

Rap is not music.

AC/DC is music.

****in' idiot kids.

I feel better now.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #465
CelticPredator
Banned User

I listen to movie scores.......so.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:49 PM   #466
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

They bore the crap outta me.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #467
DarknessOfDeath
Saving the Galaxy...

I listen to movie scores.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:53 PM   #468
CelticPredator
Banned User

*high five*

Old 06-26-2009, 10:54 PM   #469
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

They still bore me.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #470
CelticPredator
Banned User

Well, you suck, and deserve to die.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #471
Marvin
Side-Kick

try beethoven

Old 06-26-2009, 10:58 PM   #472
DarknessOfDeath
Saving the Galaxy...

Quote:
*high five*

*high fives back*

Yeah. Sometimes I can't help but do a bit of day dreaming when I go walking while I listen to the Transformers scores. Imagining I had Bumblebee at my side.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #473
CelticPredator
Banned User

I'm getting that car someday. The day I do, i'm blasting "Bumblebee" track on the first OST. SUPER ****ING LOUD.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #474
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

I'm gettin' Sideswipe. What a beautiful car.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #475
DarknessOfDeath
Saving the Galaxy...

then all I need is a hot looking woman and I am set