The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Old 06-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #551
Blackman
King Kong

Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Ok I've been in situations where I said something that I dont think is offensive at all but someone takes offense to it. The civil thing to do in those situations is to say something like: "Honestly I had no idea what I sad was offensive and I dont think it was, but I am sorry if it offended you"

It helps ppl move on and ppl wont linger onto it for so much longer

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #552
CelticPredator
Banned User

I guess...or they can man up about it.....I dunno. It's just funny that a lot more white people are getting all offended, more so then black people....

CelticPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #553
BlackLantern
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Ok I've been in situations where I said something that I dont think is offensive at all but someone takes offense to it. The civil thing to do in those situations is to say something like: "Honestly I had no idea what I sad was offensive and I dont think it was, but I am sorry if it offended you"

It helps ppl move on and ppl wont linger onto it for so much longer
The man just made a movie that grossed 200 mil in 5 days....he doesn't have to apologize for **** at this point

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #554
Mookiemoo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Even tho I dont think they were racist I think bay should come out and apologize (or has he done that already)

Apologize? Are you rocked? Don't like it -> don't watch the film, you're ALLOWED to be offended and I'm COMPLETELY tired of seeing people "apologize" for "offending" the "community." Grow up, seriously.

I'm black and it didn't even enter my MIND that they were supposed to be a black stereotype or parody. I just thought they were stupid. Stupid, idiotic "Comic relief" and I use that loosely.

Was it "racist" ? Of course it WASN'T racist. "Oh I'm going to make a bajillion dollar blockbuster movie with zero brainpower required to watch it oh and I'll slip in two blatantly obvious anti-black characters on purpose!" Really? Really? No. They were just STUPID characters. A lot of the characters in this film were STUPID. The PARENTS were stupid, the web site kids were stupid, half the bots were dumb, Megan Fox is vacant.

Jetfire FARTS. A. PARACHUTE.

Mookiemoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #555
BlackLantern
Banned User

well he is a plane...what else would he fart?? I happened to like Sams' parents because I like both actors...the mom has won a couple Tonys

Old 06-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #556
CelticPredator
Banned User

She makes me LOL. And no epic movie is complete without Kevin Dunn.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #557
BlackLantern
Banned User

Kevin Dunn has been in a ****load of films....not as many as Bill Macy, but a lot

Old 06-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #558
Mookiemoo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
well he is a plane...what else would he fart?? I happened to like Sams' parents because I like both actors...the mom has won a couple Tonys
I'm not saying that she isn't or wasn't a quality actor - I'm saying that this character, in this film, is a piece of ****ing garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKush View Post
Black Superheroes:

You say there are a lot of black superheroes, etc. There are, but how many have movies? TV shows? How many headline books, etc., in comparision to white heroes? There is a great forum in the Misc. Comics thread that goes in great length about that subject. Over the last 20 years or so you've had Blankman, Meteor Man, Steel, Blade, Hancock, and Catwoman. Now, Blankman, Hancock, aren't even from comics, so that only leaves three characters taken from comics (perhaps actually two since Catwoman wasn't based on Selina Kyle's character). Compare that to all the white heroes taken from comics.

Blacks on TV:

Also with TV. How many blacks headline TV shows? Daytime or prime time? Network or cable? of any genre? Please provide examples. And tell me how many are comedies, drama, or something else.

There are a lot of black people in various roles, due to a significant degree because someone 'whined' about opening up access and black people, and others, fought to get access. But I still contend that we have a long way to go in terms of roles of significance in many TV shows, movies.
I just have to ask - How many black characters is enough per show? How many shows do we need that have black leads? Like, you obviously feel that there's some kind of quota that needs to be met so I'd like for you to throw out a ball park.

Personally? I'd rather just not pay any attention whatsoever to the race of the characters in the movies, tv shows and comics I watch/read - Mostly because race could not possibly matter less to me. You really remind me of people who say "we need diversity in the workplace," How many people of each race do we need per workplace to be diverse?

I vote 5 Blacks, 5 Asians of whichever specific region and at LEAST one Polish person. Who's with me?!

Last edited by Mookiemoo; 06-30-2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Edited so as not to double post D:
Old 06-30-2009, 12:06 PM   #559
JAKŪ
Upstart

The twins themselves weren't exceptionally racist, but the general portrayal of black characters across the two films isn't very respectful. It honestly started to annoy me.

I don't like black stereotypes. I think they should be done away with.

JAKŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #560
Blackman
King Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookiemoo View Post
Apologize? Are you rocked? Don't like it -> don't watch the film, you're ALLOWED to be offended and I'm COMPLETELY tired of seeing people "apologize" for "offending" the "community." Grow up, seriously.

I'm black and it didn't even enter my MIND that they were supposed to be a black stereotype or parody. I just thought they were stupid. Stupid, idiotic "Comic relief" and I use that loosely.

Was it "racist" ? Of course it WASN'T racist. "Oh I'm going to make a bajillion dollar blockbuster movie with zero brainpower required to watch it oh and I'll slip in two blatantly obvious anti-black characters on purpose!" Really? Really? No. They were just STUPID characters. A lot of the characters in this film were STUPID. The PARENTS were stupid, the web site kids were stupid, half the bots were dumb, Megan Fox is vacant.

Jetfire FARTS. A. PARACHUTE.
How about you actually read my posts before you say stupid things. I said me myself wasnt offended.....

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #561
Mookiemoo
Side-Kick

Quote:
How about you actually read my posts before you say stupid things. I said me myself wasnt offended.....
How about YOU actually read my post before you say stupid things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman
Even tho I dont think they were racist I think bay should come out and apologize (or has he done that already)
You "Weren't offended" but you think he "should apologize." I think YOU thinking he should apologize is STUPID. He absolutely should not ever, ever ever apologize. Ever. To you or anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
The twins themselves weren't exceptionally racist, but the general portrayal of black characters across the two films isn't very respectful. It honestly started to annoy me.

I don't like black stereotypes. I think they should be done away with.
I disagree. I think stereotypes are wonderful. I think people who pretend to be offended or overly sensitive to stereotypes should be done away with and grow up.

Last edited by Mookiemoo; 06-30-2009 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Avoiding a double post.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #562
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

Basically any accusation of racism in this day age emits an immediate knee jerk reaction from the "quit being so p.c." crowd, so the issue, if any, rarely gets resolved.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #563
Mookiemoo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Basically any accusation of racism in this day age emits an immediate knee jerk reaction from the "quit being so p.c." crowd, so the issue, if any, rarely gets resolved.
If less people were screaming it you'd probably see less of that reaction. RE5 was mentioned earlier, I can't even begin to elaborate on all the headaches that caused. There's a problem with the fact that it's so easy to scream racism for no reason whatsoever. Sometimes? It's really just stupid - and not every scream deserves the same amount of tender loving care.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #564
CelticPredator
Banned User

If one of the bots yelled to the screen "HATE ALL YOU N'RS! GO EAT CHICKEN AND DIE!"

Then **** YEAH, that'd be racist...otherwise...no. Its just a stupid sterotype of stupid Gangstas. Hate gangstas. Blah.

Oh and Gangsta isnt a race, so dont pull the race card on me.

And Epps is a hero.....how is that not respectful? So was Anderson. They were both heroes.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #565
BlackLantern
Banned User

I almost had wood during the opening voiceover

Old 06-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #566
CelticPredator
Banned User

Who didnt? I mean seriously...

Prime's voice should be a sex soundtrack.

"Autobots! ROLLLOUT!"

Old 06-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #567
marvelman2006
Banned User

I didnt mind the twins too much, I dont see how people compare them to jar jar. so they were clumsy but hey atleast they werent annoying clumsy. I expected based on the backlash to walk in and see 2 bots saying "wheres my chittinn and grits" the whole movie but come to find out it wasnt the case. I wouldnt have minded them taking the rainman type of approach with them, sorta like there clumsy and dumb but when it comes time to thrown down there deadly. If anyone is offended then they need to pull the stick out of there arses.

marvelman2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #568
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
You can find racism anywhere if you wanted to. You can pull the race card out at anytime to cause a stir.

Remember the big 'black hole' debate last year where some black physicist said that the word, 'black hole' was racist and he wanted it changed. That is stupid...that is beyond stupidity.

Just look at what happened earlier this week. A bunch of white firefighters were denied promotions because a minority wouldn't be able to get a promotion alongside a white man and the supreme court overturned affirmative action. We are past racism in this country and for, I would say, a decade or so, we had reverse racism and minorities where being treated better to avoid lawsuits. Affirmative action even still exists today in the educational systems like law school and medical school as well as entrance to many colleges. That is wrong, that is racist to meet a quota of certain ethnicities.

Back to this movie. Not all African Americans have a gold tooth, talk like that, and aren't literate. If they all did, then this movie would be considered racist. They were stereotypes of no certain race because the way they acted and talk transcends certain races and goes into many races like Caucasian and Asian races. They were poser gansters, kids that aren't very smart and want to be cool. It is a way of life, not a race. You aren't born with a gold tooth and your first word isn't "punk ass." If anybody should be offended, it should be all the wannabe gansta's out there...holla.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.

Last edited by chaseter; 06-30-2009 at 07:18 PM.
chaseter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #569
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

^^^ Well said.

craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #570
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
You can find racism anywhere if you wanted to. You can pull the race card out at anytime to cause a stir.
And many people do any time there's a racial stereotype. Apparently they think that's racism.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #571
Crook
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Back to this movie. Not all African Americans have a gold tooth, talk like that, and are literate. If they all did, then this movie would be considered racist. They were stereotypes of no certain race because the way they acted and talk transcends certain races and goes into many races like Caucasian and Asian races. They were poser gansters, kids that aren't very smart and want to be cool. It is a way of life, not a race. You aren't born with a gold tooth and your first word isn't "punk ass." If anybody should be offended, it should be all the wannabe gansta's out there...holla.
The stereotype IS associated with a race. I didn't find it racist, but c'mon, who are you fooling here. Everyone knows black people were the "reference" for those particular characters.

Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #572
Casius--J
Web Master

Well after seeing it i can say now I didnt find them to be racist, but rather just plain STUPID.

I'm a black man myself but I honestly didnt get they're supposed to be black vibe when watching the twins. It was more of a why are these dumb bots talking, cant they die now???

Old 06-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #573
CelticPredator
Banned User

See? A lot of black people on THIS forum had NO PROBLEM with the Twins....other then their annoyance. So please, STFU, its not racist, its just a lame sterotype. One that needs to be made fun of. White or black, Gangstas suck.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #574
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
The stereotype IS associated with a race. I didn't find it racist, but c'mon, who are you fooling here. Everyone knows black people were the "reference" for those particular characters.
This is such a sad statement. The stereotype isn't associated with a certain race. If it is, then that is racist to think that way because you associate those negative things with a certain race.

It is a stereotype but not only black people act that way. Idiotic gangsters are in every race.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #575
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

We all know when someone acts like that, a lot of people's thought is, "why are they acting black?" Let's not sugarcoat the thing, man. It is acting black in a lot of people's minds....no need to deconstruct it.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote