The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 04:56 AM   #676
dark_b
Side-Kick
 
dark_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 43,397
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
I didn't hear about anyone getting pissed over a dumb redneck towtruck in the movie Cars.
So if Reno Wilson was okay with doing the voice for the character of Mudflap, then who cares? If he can do it, then I'm sure you can get over it too.
you mean Mater?
http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0009195/

if the same character was in TF2 people would complain. but i dont have a problem with this but i know that it would happen.

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #677
JAKŪ
Upstart
 
JAKŪ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,290
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Once again, the twins are simply another example of 'wacky' token black characters that appear far too much in modern media, which is seeping into real life expectations of how black people 'should' act.

I saw it too often at school. Black kids in my class were seen as 'players' or 'gangsta'. Never mind the fact this is England and they came from Jamaica and Kenya. Both kids started acting that way eventually.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You are now breathing manually.
JAKŪ



JAKŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #678
Da-Scribe
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 748
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
Once again, the twins are simply another example of 'wacky' token black characters that appear far too much in modern media, which is seeping into real life expectations of how black people 'should' act.

I saw it too often at school. Black kids in my class were seen as 'players' or 'gangsta'. Never mind the fact this is England and they came from Jamaica and Kenya. Both kids started acting that way eventually.
Again, I won't deny that their personalities are adapted from an aspect of black culture. But to say they are THE black characters is to say that the more noble and/or intelligent robots are not. You could just as easily say that Optimus adapted his personality from black political figures..but you don't. No one does. Sorta sets our culture back when you make those observations.

Da-Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #679
LostSon88
Side-Kick
 
LostSon88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BAY AREA!!!!
Posts: 8,017
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by portland2002 View Post
The twins are racist cariactures ... Bay and Spielberg should just retire ... they've lost their abilities as competent filmmakers.
What's more racist is people like you who characterize their attributes to one particular color of skin.

When I saw the film, I didn't see the twins as two "token black guys"...I saw them as two wannabe gangsters that could have constituted ANY race.

__________________
My life is like school on a Sunday...no class.

Last edited by LostSon88; 07-06-2009 at 03:01 PM.
LostSon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #680
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!
 
Episode29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 2,670
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post
What's more racist is people like you who characterize their attributes to one particular color of skin.

When I saw the film, I didn't see the twins as two "token black guys"...I saw them as two wannabe gangsters that could have constituted any race.
That argumentative statement is so far beyond tired that it's flat-lining. It's also a whiplash emotional response that simplifies the whole argument.

Episode29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #681
chaseter
Bland User
 
chaseter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 42,641
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

A whiplash emotional response that simplifies the whole argument is saying that a gold tooth, illiterate, and dumb robot represents black society.

Throwing the race card is the very definition of a whiplash emotional response.

__________________
"You can leave a penny, you can't take a penny. You can leave a penny anytime. You have to spend $10 to take a penny. Store policy."
"Since when has this been store policy?"
"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #682
Wiseman
Banned User
 
Wiseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In A-Rod's house
Posts: 8,249
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Throwing the race card is the very definition of a whiplash emotional response.

Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #683
chaseter
Bland User
 
chaseter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 42,641
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Why don't white people get a race card?

__________________
"You can leave a penny, you can't take a penny. You can leave a penny anytime. You have to spend $10 to take a penny. Store policy."
"Since when has this been store policy?"
"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #684
JAKŪ
Upstart
 
JAKŪ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,290
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Scribe View Post
Again, I won't deny that their personalities are adapted from an aspect of black culture. But to say they are THE black characters is to say that the more noble and/or intelligent robots are not. You could just as easily say that Optimus adapted his personality from black political figures..but you don't. No one does. Sorta sets our culture back when you make those observations.
This is sort of the point I'm making. Optimus Prime's famous quote "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" could easily have been said by Martin Luther King.

So why do people not see Optimus as being black? Because the 'gangsta' stereotype is more widespread in western media. That's why it's despicable. Because of characters like the twins, people associate their characteristics with black people.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You are now breathing manually.
JAKŪ



JAKŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #685
SpiderByte
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tacoville
Posts: 6,114
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostPoet View Post
I'll be honest...I DID like them in the Devastator scene when they were busting him up a little.
Anyone that size who can take on Movie Devastator and live is okay with me.

SpiderByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #686
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 43,426
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Devastator was disappointing though. He was just a giant, slow as hell, vacuum cleaner.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #687
chaseter
Bland User
 
chaseter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 42,641
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

I said that his name should have been Excavator

__________________
"You can leave a penny, you can't take a penny. You can leave a penny anytime. You have to spend $10 to take a penny. Store policy."
"Since when has this been store policy?"
"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #688
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 62,748
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

The Twins were IMO the worst part of what was a pretty good movie. Every scene they showed up in, I just sort of rolled my eyes.

__________________
"GET THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF MY ****IN' SNATCH."
- Vice President Selina Meyer


Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #689
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 58,551
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

I think it would have worked better if they didn't have that annoying twang to their voice. If they sounded more like Jazz and cracked the same jokes it would have been much better.

__________________
The best leaders never want to be leaders.
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:10 AM   #690
PyroChamber
Chicka Chick-ahhhh
 
PyroChamber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 12,903
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Something I noticed, in the movie, about the Twins; is it me or did it seem like the other Autobots didn't even acknowledge them? It was almost like no one even noticed they were there, as if they just followed the other Autobots and decided "okay, let's be Autobots".

And the only one that did acknowledge them was Bumblebee when he threw them out of that cave.

__________________
"I hate you, I hate you, I don't even know you and I hate your guts. I hope all the bad things in life happen to you, and nobody else but you."

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
PyroChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:12 AM   #691
Mr. Earle
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,929
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseman View Post
roflcopter!!!

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:21 AM   #692
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!
 
Episode29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 2,670
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroChamber View Post
Something I noticed, in the movie, about the Twins; is it me or did it seem like the other Autobots didn't even acknowledge them? It was almost like no one even noticed they were there, as if they just followed the other Autobots and decided "okay, let's be Autobots".

And the only one that did acknowledge them was Bumblebee when he threw them out of that cave.
That happened with most of the robots in the flick. They rarely interracted with each other unless it was saying "Roll out" or fighting. My mind may be a tad hazy, but did any of them react at all to Jetfire?

Episode29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #693
Mr. Para-Normal
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 487
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
This is sort of the point I'm making. Optimus Prime's famous quote "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" could easily have been said by Martin Luther King.

So why do people not see Optimus as being black? Because the 'gangsta' stereotype is more widespread in western media. That's why it's despicable. Because of characters like the twins, people associate their characteristics with black people.
True but Hardcore Transformers fans and the legions of haters would REALLY be pissy if Optimus had the slightest aspect of having a so called black personality. I am black and the twins are a sterotype of the ghetto thug. I dont think they were trying to be intentionaly racist but if Bay thinks that all young people are like the twins then WOW that is stupid.

Mr. Para-Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #694
kane9321
oakland's finest
 
kane9321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: all in yo grill!
Posts: 11,626
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

I found them to be racist as all hell, I couldnt believe how blatant it was. I was totally pissed off. To add insult to injury...one had a gold tooth.

__________________
GO 49ERS....FAITHFUL TO THE END
GO SHARKS GO..QUEST FOR THE CUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
The X-Men films are like an abusive boyfriend.

They treat you well, (X-Men 1 and 2) and then they show their true colors (X3 and Wolverine: Origins), then they promise that they can change (X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine), now you see them with a prostitute. (X-Men: DOTFP)

Last edited by kane9321; 07-09-2009 at 11:39 AM.
kane9321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #695
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,345
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Where in God's name does this "Bay must think all of this or that are like the Twins" nonsense come from?

How is that a logical assessment?

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #696
JAKŪ
Upstart
 
JAKŪ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,290
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Where in God's name does this "Bay must think all of this or that are like the Twins" nonsense come from?

How is that a logical assessment?
It's logical because the only other black characters in Transformers have been Bobby B and his 'mammy', Anthony Anderson's mishaps with the po-lice and Jazz crackin' it with the little ******es.

Tyrese Gibson has been the only competent black guy in both movies.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You are now breathing manually.
JAKŪ



JAKŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #697
The Black Goo
I hate you...so much...
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 91
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

I'm actually surprised this thread is still going, it seems like a lot of things are now just being repeated over and over. Another thing that surprises me is that with all these talks about the twins, not once has anyone mentioned Ironhide, who in fact is a big black truck and according to what some people say, "blacks" are known for anger issues... that and thee fact that he says "You best let me off this plane." There's a new topic for you guys. hahaha.

The Black Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #698
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,345
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Quote:
It's logical because the only other black characters in Transformers have been Bobby B and his 'mammy', Anthony Anderson's mishaps with the po-lice and Jazz crackin' it with the little ******es.

Tyrese Gibson has been the only competent black guy in both movies.
No, that still makes no sense.

Directors and creators don't usually create characters just to show what they think ALL of a particular color or type of people are like. They create characters they feel will be interesting, or funny, or that people can cheer for.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 07-09-2009 at 03:06 PM.
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #699
dodgers2213
Side-Kick
 
dodgers2213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,148
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

i dont think the Twins are racist characters...that would mean Michael Bay and the animators designed the Twins with the INTENT of pissing people off

BUT, i think they are ethnically insensitive and horribly stupid designs. Honestly, they were the least annoying for me out of the some 20 comic relief characters

__________________
XBL: Dodgers2213 SSF4-AE, UMvC3, Injustice(when it drops)
-Sagat, Seth
-Wolverine/Dormammu/Doom

Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1936-9586-3562
dodgers2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #700
JAKŪ
Upstart
 
JAKŪ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,290
Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
No, that still makes no sense.

Directors and creators don't usually create characters just to show what they think ALL of a particular color or type of people are like. They create characters they feel will be interesting, or funny, or that people can cheer for.
Of course Micheal Bay doesn't have a vendetta against minorities, and isn't purposefully inserting stereotypes into his films in order to suppress an entire race. I fully believe that Bay has no idea how his characters come across.

I'm not claiming that the Twins are purposeful racism. A result of ignorance? Possibly. A cheap attempt at humour? Most certainly. I still feel that they are negative stereotypes.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You are now breathing manually.
JAKŪ



JAKŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.