The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Old 07-06-2009, 04:56 AM   #676
dark_b
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
I didn't hear about anyone getting pissed over a dumb redneck towtruck in the movie Cars.
So if Reno Wilson was okay with doing the voice for the character of Mudflap, then who cares? If he can do it, then I'm sure you can get over it too.
you mean Mater?
http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0009195/

if the same character was in TF2 people would complain. but i dont have a problem with this but i know that it would happen.

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #677
JAKŪ
Upstart

Once again, the twins are simply another example of 'wacky' token black characters that appear far too much in modern media, which is seeping into real life expectations of how black people 'should' act.

I saw it too often at school. Black kids in my class were seen as 'players' or 'gangsta'. Never mind the fact this is England and they came from Jamaica and Kenya. Both kids started acting that way eventually.

JAKŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #678
Da-Scribe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
Once again, the twins are simply another example of 'wacky' token black characters that appear far too much in modern media, which is seeping into real life expectations of how black people 'should' act.

I saw it too often at school. Black kids in my class were seen as 'players' or 'gangsta'. Never mind the fact this is England and they came from Jamaica and Kenya. Both kids started acting that way eventually.
Again, I won't deny that their personalities are adapted from an aspect of black culture. But to say they are THE black characters is to say that the more noble and/or intelligent robots are not. You could just as easily say that Optimus adapted his personality from black political figures..but you don't. No one does. Sorta sets our culture back when you make those observations.

Da-Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #679
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by portland2002 View Post
The twins are racist cariactures ... Bay and Spielberg should just retire ... they've lost their abilities as competent filmmakers.
What's more racist is people like you who characterize their attributes to one particular color of skin.

When I saw the film, I didn't see the twins as two "token black guys"...I saw them as two wannabe gangsters that could have constituted ANY race.

Last edited by LostSon88; 07-06-2009 at 03:01 PM.
LostSon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #680
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post
What's more racist is people like you who characterize their attributes to one particular color of skin.

When I saw the film, I didn't see the twins as two "token black guys"...I saw them as two wannabe gangsters that could have constituted any race.
That argumentative statement is so far beyond tired that it's flat-lining. It's also a whiplash emotional response that simplifies the whole argument.

Episode29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #681
chaseter
Bland User

A whiplash emotional response that simplifies the whole argument is saying that a gold tooth, illiterate, and dumb robot represents black society.

Throwing the race card is the very definition of a whiplash emotional response.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #682
Wiseman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Throwing the race card is the very definition of a whiplash emotional response.

Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #683
chaseter
Bland User

Why don't white people get a race card?

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
Old 07-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #684
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Scribe View Post
Again, I won't deny that their personalities are adapted from an aspect of black culture. But to say they are THE black characters is to say that the more noble and/or intelligent robots are not. You could just as easily say that Optimus adapted his personality from black political figures..but you don't. No one does. Sorta sets our culture back when you make those observations.
This is sort of the point I'm making. Optimus Prime's famous quote "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" could easily have been said by Martin Luther King.

So why do people not see Optimus as being black? Because the 'gangsta' stereotype is more widespread in western media. That's why it's despicable. Because of characters like the twins, people associate their characteristics with black people.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #685
SpiderByte
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostPoet View Post
I'll be honest...I DID like them in the Devastator scene when they were busting him up a little.
Anyone that size who can take on Movie Devastator and live is okay with me.

SpiderByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #686
Nathan

Devastator was disappointing though. He was just a giant, slow as hell, vacuum cleaner.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #687
chaseter
Bland User

I said that his name should have been Excavator

Old 07-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #688
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

The Twins were IMO the worst part of what was a pretty good movie. Every scene they showed up in, I just sort of rolled my eyes.

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #689
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

I think it would have worked better if they didn't have that annoying twang to their voice. If they sounded more like Jazz and cracked the same jokes it would have been much better.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:10 AM   #690
PyroChamber
Chicka Chick-ahhhh

Something I noticed, in the movie, about the Twins; is it me or did it seem like the other Autobots didn't even acknowledge them? It was almost like no one even noticed they were there, as if they just followed the other Autobots and decided "okay, let's be Autobots".

And the only one that did acknowledge them was Bumblebee when he threw them out of that cave.

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
PyroChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:12 AM   #691
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseman View Post
roflcopter!!!

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:21 AM   #692
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroChamber View Post
Something I noticed, in the movie, about the Twins; is it me or did it seem like the other Autobots didn't even acknowledge them? It was almost like no one even noticed they were there, as if they just followed the other Autobots and decided "okay, let's be Autobots".

And the only one that did acknowledge them was Bumblebee when he threw them out of that cave.
That happened with most of the robots in the flick. They rarely interracted with each other unless it was saying "Roll out" or fighting. My mind may be a tad hazy, but did any of them react at all to Jetfire?

Episode29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #693
Mr. Para-Normal
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
This is sort of the point I'm making. Optimus Prime's famous quote "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" could easily have been said by Martin Luther King.

So why do people not see Optimus as being black? Because the 'gangsta' stereotype is more widespread in western media. That's why it's despicable. Because of characters like the twins, people associate their characteristics with black people.
True but Hardcore Transformers fans and the legions of haters would REALLY be pissy if Optimus had the slightest aspect of having a so called black personality. I am black and the twins are a sterotype of the ghetto thug. I dont think they were trying to be intentionaly racist but if Bay thinks that all young people are like the twins then WOW that is stupid.

Mr. Para-Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #694
kane9321
oakland's finest

I found them to be racist as all hell, I couldnt believe how blatant it was. I was totally pissed off. To add insult to injury...one had a gold tooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
The X-Men films are like an abusive boyfriend.

They treat you well, (X-Men 1 and 2) and then they show their true colors (X3 and Wolverine: Origins), then they promise that they can change (X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine), now you see them with a prostitute. (X-Men: DOTFP)

Last edited by kane9321; 07-09-2009 at 11:39 AM.
kane9321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #695
The Guard
Side-Kick

Where in God's name does this "Bay must think all of this or that are like the Twins" nonsense come from?

How is that a logical assessment?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #696
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Where in God's name does this "Bay must think all of this or that are like the Twins" nonsense come from?

How is that a logical assessment?
It's logical because the only other black characters in Transformers have been Bobby B and his 'mammy', Anthony Anderson's mishaps with the po-lice and Jazz crackin' it with the little ******es.

Tyrese Gibson has been the only competent black guy in both movies.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #697
The Black Goo
I hate you...so much...

I'm actually surprised this thread is still going, it seems like a lot of things are now just being repeated over and over. Another thing that surprises me is that with all these talks about the twins, not once has anyone mentioned Ironhide, who in fact is a big black truck and according to what some people say, "blacks" are known for anger issues... that and thee fact that he says "You best let me off this plane." There's a new topic for you guys. hahaha.

The Black Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #698
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's logical because the only other black characters in Transformers have been Bobby B and his 'mammy', Anthony Anderson's mishaps with the po-lice and Jazz crackin' it with the little ******es.

Tyrese Gibson has been the only competent black guy in both movies.
No, that still makes no sense.

Directors and creators don't usually create characters just to show what they think ALL of a particular color or type of people are like. They create characters they feel will be interesting, or funny, or that people can cheer for.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 07-09-2009 at 03:06 PM.
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #699
dodgers2213
Side-Kick

i dont think the Twins are racist characters...that would mean Michael Bay and the animators designed the Twins with the INTENT of pissing people off

BUT, i think they are ethnically insensitive and horribly stupid designs. Honestly, they were the least annoying for me out of the some 20 comic relief characters

Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1936-9586-3562
dodgers2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #700
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
No, that still makes no sense.

Directors and creators don't usually create characters just to show what they think ALL of a particular color or type of people are like. They create characters they feel will be interesting, or funny, or that people can cheer for.
Of course Micheal Bay doesn't have a vendetta against minorities, and isn't purposefully inserting stereotypes into his films in order to suppress an entire race. I fully believe that Bay has no idea how his characters come across.

I'm not claiming that the Twins are purposeful racism. A result of ignorance? Possibly. A cheap attempt at humour? Most certainly. I still feel that they are negative stereotypes.