Old 06-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #51
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Default Re: Making Superman More Than a Superhero Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
Very true.....but
"That which we call a rose.........."

When qualified by Truth and Justice I feel it's clear that the words "and the American Way" refer specifically to the lofty ideals, so go ahead and replace them with "and the right of all individuals to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."
However it's fixing something that isn't broken.
I don't want "and the American way" in his slogan for this reason:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_W View Post
Is it only America that has these values? Is America the only democratic country out there? I find that mentality quite insulting. Although Supes is an American icon, he should stand for everyone.
Quite frankly, I think justice can cover the concept of people being entitled to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." For years, Superman just stood for Truth and Justice and his fans were fine with that. I'd rather go back to that.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:58 PM   #52
Sam
Im Always Around

Quote:
Star Trek or 2001?
Superman is science fiction by definition. The character was created as sci-fi , but success was so big that created his own genre.. super-hero.

Superman has all elements os sci-fi. Civilization from another planet, travels across the universe, super powered hero fighting against strange enemies (brainiac, metallo, etc).

Sci-fi isnt about just spaceships (star trek, 2001, star wars). There is other types of sci-fi (robots, travel through time, high tecnology, etc)

Superman has almost everything.

Last edited by Sam; 06-25-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:08 AM   #53
Anubis
Sup?

While I wouldn't start off a franchise with it, i'd love to see a War World adaptation.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:23 AM   #54
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Superman is science fiction by definition. The character was created as sci-fi , but success was so big that created his own genre.. super-hero.

Superman has all elements os sci-fi. Civilization from another planet, travels across the universe, super powered hero fighting against strange enemies (brainiac, metallo, etc).

Sci-fi isnt about just spaceships (star trek, 2001, star wars). There is other types of sci-fi (robots, travel through time, high tecnology, etc)

Superman has almost everything.
My comparison of the two is not based on the hardware, but rather the substance. Star Trek being a sci-fi adventure genre, and 2001 being a more cerebral Sci-Fi approach.

If the focus of a Superman film were to be the sci-fi aspect of the character I believe it would belong in the Star Trek sci-fi arena.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #55
Dave_W
Side-Kick

THESE capture the essence of what a Superman film should be about! If they can turn these two pictures into a 2 hour movie and still maintain their essence, it'll be dynamite!

These two just ooze everything that makes a Superman film great!

Dave_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #56
JamalYIgle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_W View Post
THESE capture the essence of what a Superman film should be about! If they can turn these two pictures into a 2 hour movie and still maintain their essence, it'll be dynamite!

These two just ooze everything that makes a Superman film great!
they already did.

i'm being a bit snarky but it's true. People may want to make fun of the campier elements but Superman the movie captured the essence of Superman as a character. Any new production will be unfairly compared to it, just like Superman Returns was.

My opinions are are my own and do not reflect those of DC comics,Warner Bros, Marvel Entertainment, Walt Disney, IDW Publishing, Dark Horse Comics, Image Comics, Action Lab Entertainment unless otherwise stated.
JamalYIgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #57
The Guard
Side-Kick

Yeah, the only "essence" those pictures shows...it's been done. That's just the very basics.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:46 PM   #58
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

I know for real; the next superman film has to be something DIFFERENT. Geez.

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:28 AM   #59
dark_b
Side-Kick

i agree. that pics tells me ''been done already''

do some fans want a remake or what?

dark_b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #60
Dave_W
Side-Kick

Yeah I can see what you're all saying, but I meant if the movie could capture the FEELING of those pictures it would be ace. I'm not saying copy the scenes or anything, as that's already been done, but if it should capture the 'feel good' factor. Kinda like Iron Man and Spidey, instead of the more gritty Incredible Hulk and Dark Knight.

Dave_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #61
The Guard
Side-Kick

What feeling? Golden Age and the movies rolled together? Chalk drawings.

They're just pictures. Lois is slightly hotter than usual...I don't get much "feel good" from them beyond that. It looks like the basics of Superman.

And if I'm right

Last edited by The Guard; 06-26-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #62
GreenKToo
In the fire

Its hard to say what they need to do. Just look at this site, so many of us here want something different.
Some still want a sequel, some want a reboot but with routh, and some want a reboot with all new actors.

IMVHO, which means absolutely nothing, I think they'll reboot in a couple ( or more) years with ALL NEW ACTORS and, I think it will also have a new score to separate itself from the previous films.

And quite honestly, unless lightning strikes or something, I doubt we hear anything Superman related for a long while yet. It sucks, but imo, everything points to development hell once again.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 06-26-2009 at 02:04 PM.
GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #63
The Guard
Side-Kick

They need to find a balance. It's really that simple. Someone with a great knowledge of Superman, Pre-Cris, Post-Crisis, movie and comics, needs to come along who can not just put what THEY want on film, but find a balance amongst all the source materials to put the best distilled version of Superman they can onscreen.

And if I'm right
Old 06-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #64
Crook
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
Its hard to say what they need to do. Just look at this site, so many of us here want something different.
Some still want a sequel, some want a reboot but with routh, and some want a reboot with all new actors.
It's pretty easy to choose. The latter yields the highest possibility of the best reaction. The other two hold baggage from previous endeavors, and starts off with alienating non-fans of those products from the get-go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
They need to find a balance. It's really that simple. Someone with a great knowledge of Superman, Pre-Cris, Post-Crisis, movie and comics, needs to come along who can not just put what THEY want on film, but find a balance amongst all the source materials to put the best distilled version of Superman they can onscreen.
And one more key ingredient: make it modern aka fresh.

Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #65
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:

IMVHO, which means absolutely nothing, I think they'll reboot in a couple ( or more) years with ALL NEW ACTORS and, I think it will also have a new score to separate itself from the previous films.

And quite honestly, unless lightning strikes or something, I doubt we hear anything Superman related for a long while yet. It sucks, but imo, everything points to development hell once again.
Even though I like Routh, this is what I see happening too.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #66
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
And one more key ingredient: make it modern aka fresh.
To a point. They need balance in all aspects. They need to balance the older portrayals of the character and the classic feel with modern elements.

And if I'm right
Old 06-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #67
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Quote:

Yes so true that it sucks for supes fans with all the waiting and nothing going on stuff.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #68
mjbull23
Beyond Good and Evil

They have some very difficult decisions that have to be made.
There are so many possible paths we can follow here.

1) Continue on with the Donnerverse, Keep Routh, put out a story that is tightly paced, ramp up the action....(Sequel or Reboot)

2.) Burn it all down. Recast everyone. Start afresh. New take on Supes, new intrepretation of the character, his methodologies, his duality, new musical scores, new costume....(Reboot)

3.) Smallville the Movie - For all the TW Fans out here.

There are multiple variations to every one of those aforementioned options of course.

Some want Routh Back, but with a new slate. Some want Routh back in a sequel. Some want a new actor for the Role...

There's no way to draw a concensus opinion amongst the hardcore superman fans. So forget it. We are too divided. Pander to the general audiences.

The challenge is seperating audiences from their preconceived notions of the past, and presenting the character in a new light. But as other's have said, there are core themes that must still remain with the character.

Romance, Hope, Justice.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #69
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbull23 View Post
They have some very difficult decisions that have to be made.
There are so many possible paths we can follow here.

1) Continue on with the Donnerverse, Keep Routh, put out a story that is tightly paced, ramp up the action....(Sequel or Reboot)

2.) Burn it all down. Recast everyone. Start afresh. New take on Supes, new intrepretation of the character, his methodologies, his duality, new musical scores, new costume....(Reboot)

3.) Smallville the Movie - For all the TW Fans out here.

There are multiple variations to every one of those aforementioned options of course.

Some want Routh Back, but with a new slate. Some want Routh back in a sequel. Some want a new actor for the Role...

There's no way to draw a concensus opinion amongst the hardcore superman fans. So forget it. We are too divided. Pander to the general audiences.

The challenge is seperating audiences from their preconceived notions of the past, and presenting the character in a new light. But as other's have said, there are core themes that must still remain with the character.

Romance, Hope, Justice.
WB should do that anyway, even if the fans were all on the same page. It's the GA that's going to make or break the movie. Now we just need to think of what the GA would like to see.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:19 PM   #70
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Ya maybe they should do with superman what paramount and jj did with trek make it for the general fans but also please the hardcore fans with keeping the standard mythos things going, while adding their own spin on things.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 06-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #71
Sam
Im Always Around

Quote:
My comparison of the two is not based on the hardware, but rather the substance. Star Trek being a sci-fi adventure genre, and 2001 being a more cerebral Sci-Fi approach.

If the focus of a Superman film were to be the sci-fi aspect of the character I believe it would belong in the Star Trek sci-fi arena.
Oh, ok. Yes, definetly sci-fi adventure.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #72
daywalker2007
Banned User

what we need in the next superman movie is a freaking giant robot,
then we can the box office money explode!

metallo here we come!

daywalker2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #73
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well if metallo ever makes it to a supes movie, i rather have it be human size metallo and not a freakin huge skyscrapper sized metallo.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 06-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #74
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
WB should do that anyway, even if the fans were all on the same page. It's the GA that's going to make or break the movie. Now we just need to think of what the GA would like to see.
And that really wouldnt be hard for them to do imo. They should have a look at the most recent, successful CB films and see what made them tick.
What was it about Spider-Man that made it such a hit with the public? What about I.M.? Batman?

Was it because they were new? Imo, I dont think so. If that were the case then B.B. wouldnt have created such an interest in Batman again that lead on to it's sequel, TDK..

I think in Spider-man and I.M.'s case, it was simple. They were good films. The Director chose to make them bright, upbeat, and action filled, and they pretty much stayed true to the characters and source material with MINOR exceptions of course. Regardless of any changes tho, the public ate them up. Three Spidey films and a soon to be released sequel to IM dont lie.

As for TDK, well that was more of an event than a film. A perfect storm of a film. The anticipation for it reminded me of what happened with the first Star Wars back in the 70's. just friggin' unreal. No way should we dare to hope for that kinda anticipation with Superman, that wont happen, but there shouldnt be any reason we couldnt have, or get, I.M. or Spider-man type hype.

It will all fall on the directors shoulders to get it right. And I really hope they (the WB) hire a director that creates instant hype with his name with us AND the public right from the start.
And I pray to God he gets Superman.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 06-28-2009 at 02:53 PM.
GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #75
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Hopefully they can find that best suited guy.

www.ItsJustMovies.com