The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Superman as a Christ Figure?
Yes 13 28.89%
No 32 71.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
Blackman
C'mon Son

Default Superman as a Christ figure?

In a reboot, whenever we get one, should Superman be like a Christ figure to the people of Metropolis? If yes how should that be portrayed?

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
bunk
superhero fan

Default Re: Superman as a Christ figure?

No. He should be everyone's best friend, not a savior from the heavens. That's not to say everyone would view him this way, but it's how I would want most people in Metropolis to view him.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
Frodo
Side-Kick

I think as far as the world is considered he would have the respect of someone like Nelson Mandela . Singer tried to play up the Christ thing but ultimately I think they should get back to the idea of him being a symbol of hope.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
[A]
Banned User

I can believe in an alien Christ.

[A] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
BATZARRO WWD
Campeador Boricua

Mostly not, man. While your mileage may vary on what "Christ figure" means, Superman in the next movie may benefit from less extraneous symbolism and comparison. I personally think there we've had more than enough of that in Returns.

BATZARRO WWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
GreenKToo
In the fire

No. I got my belly full with the Christ comparisons in the last one.
I'd rather see him be more relatable in the next one.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Yea i would say no to the christ comparion, We need to turn him less godlike figure to a person everyone can relate to and be a symbol for hope like someone else pointed out.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

Superman is a messiah. That's the character, and there's no way around that. Now, I'm not saying the parallels need to be solely with Jesus Christ. The idea is that a god-like being came from the heavens (stars) to save us from our sorry selves. That isn't present in only Christianity. It's the ultimate legend that's probably existed for far longer than recorded history is able to account for.

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

i think the christ parallels are obvious, and can be taken from most superman stories, so it'd be ignorant to try and ignore that...but they dont need to be spelled out for the audience.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
Crook
Banned User

Yeah, the comparisons are unavoidable. But I hope they pursue a fresh way of approaching his unexpected arrival.

I wanna see an exploration of how a world reacts to a damn ALIEN, one who looks and sounds like them, and possesses god-like abilities. Pretty tired of practically every writer ignoring this.

Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
Yeah, the comparisons are unavoidable. But I hope they pursue a fresh way of approaching his unexpected arrival.

I wanna see an exploration of how a world reacts to a damn ALIEN, one who looks and sounds like them, and possesses god-like abilities. Pretty tired of practically every writer ignoring this.
I was just about to say this. I mean here's this guy who looks like a regular adult male but he can has amazing strength and can shoot heat from his eyes.

No they dont need to bash us over the head with it like they tried to do in Terminator Salvation or the Matrix, but you cant ignore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
No. I got my belly full with the Christ comparisons in the last one.
I'd rather see him be more relatable in the next one.
The christ comparisons didnt make him more unrelatable. I mean honestly how relatable can you be to superman anyway. Thats why people give them love interest because it makes them relatable.

And they tried to make Superman more "relatable" by making him an illegitimate father.

Last edited by Blackman; 07-03-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
batman44
Go Speed GO

The parallels are no doubt going to exist, intentional or not, whether I like it or not, but I wouldn't want it to be a focal point of the story. I just don't see the Superman as some savior of mankind, but rather a someone who helps. Like a fireman or cop...a really good cop with amazing abilites.

I also agree with Crook. I'd like to see how the public reacts to the discovery that the guy who's been rescuing folk is an alien. It's one of the aspects of Birthright I liked.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
batman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
Christmas
Side-Kick

I think Brandon Routh should learn Aramaic

of course the parallels are there, and it's the creative teams' decision to highlight them or not. I like such comparisons if they say something profound and striking about the surface story.

they aren't necessary though.

one of my peeves is when people say Superman is too simple and not deep. I totally disagree. I think the christ-like view of him is one of MANY shades to the character. It's not really my favorite, I'm personally fascinated by him growing up and reconciling his earth shattering power with being a young man. Loads of drama in that and plenty for a good actor to chew on.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #14
GreenKToo
In the fire

edit

Old 07-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #15
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
I was just about to say this. I mean here's this guy who looks like a regular adult male but he can has amazing strength and can shoot heat from his eyes.

No they dont need to bash us over the head with it like they tried to do in Terminator Salvation or the Matrix, but you cant ignore it.

The christ comparisons didnt make him more unrelatable. I mean honestly how relatable can you be to superman anyway. Thats why people give them love interest because it makes them relatable.

And they tried to make Superman more "relatable" by making him an illegitimate father.
I am refering to the crucifixion pose, the clouds parting for him just before he dove into the sea, and Jor-el speaking to him while he was dying underwater.
That was Way too much over the top for my taste.
Yes, some slight comparisons are ok, but not to that extent.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 07-03-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #16
Wally West
Side-Kick

I don't think the Christ comparison hurt Superman returns. That was the least of it's problems IMO.

How exactly would people view someone who swoops down from the heavens and saves the lives of people miraculously every day. I'm not saying you need to go over the top and show him in the christ pose to drive home the point, But it's not inconcievable people in his reality would see him in that kind of light.

Wally West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #17
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

For him to be a christ like figure, he has to sacrafice himself..... he indestructible, can not die............ unless he's on a kryptonite cross.

Venom'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #18
Cain
"West West Y'all"

No that was one of the many flaws I saw in Pooper Scooper Man Returns. Avoid that direction at all costs IMO.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #19
Fresh Prince
Banned User

No and yes. No cause it failed in Superman Returns. And it was an epic failure. Yes cause he is a savior and is a symbol of hope and peace for the whole entire world. I say it can work if they do it right. Make it obvious yes but do not make it like a joke like in Returns.

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #20
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

no - NO AND NO !!!!

DavidTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #21
afan
Side-Kick

A thousand times..........NO!

A scientist on a distant planet discovers that his world is doomed. He is a lone voice, and is ordered to remain quiet in order to not cause unnecessary panic among the populace. As his planet crumbles around him he places his son in a rocket/star ship and launches it into the cosmos to save him from certain death. The ship arrives on Earth where this boy under the influence of a yellow sun develops powers and abilities far beyond those of Earth's inhabitants. Chief among them are invulnerability, amazing strength, incredible speed, and flight. He grows to manhood and dedicates the use of his powers to an endless battle for..........ah we all know the rest.

Now can someone please explain how this is rife with comparisons to the life of Jesus Christ.

Last edited by afan; 07-06-2009 at 12:38 PM.
afan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #22
COMPO
Side-Kick

it would be nice if there was a bit but not too much just keep him relatable and not godlike. I mean having a clip of some people believing him to be the second coming or having a priest dismiss this theory as an afront to the lord and stuff like that.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #23
GreenKToo
In the fire

I hope this makes sense, I would rather the public look at him as more of a rock star/movie star like figure than a christ like figure. Sure you have nutts in real life that worshipp them, but most folks are just starstruck when they see them.

Whenever Superman would be around the public doing his heroics, I'd like to see alot of little kids and star struck adults wanting his autograph, and him blushing at all the attention.

When I think of comparing him to christ, I picture the public bowing down and worshipping him, and I dont want to see that.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #24
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I hope this makes sense, I would rather the public look at him as more of a rock star/movie star like figure than a christ like figure. Sure you have nutts in real life that worshipp them, but most folks are just starstruck when they see them.

Whenever Superman would be around the public doing his heroics, I'd like to see alot of little kids and star struck adults wanting his autograph, and him blushing at all the attention.

When I think of comparing him to christ, I picture the public bowing down and worshipping him, and I dont want to see that.
Perfect, however an amazing athlete who also happens to be an admirable human being might be more appropo.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #25
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
I don't think the Christ comparison hurt Superman returns. That was the least of it's problems IMO.

How exactly would people view someone who swoops down from the heavens and saves the lives of people miraculously every day. I'm not saying you need to go over the top and show him in the christ pose to drive home the point, But it's not inconcievable people in his reality would see him in that kind of light.

And Jesus Christ did this when????