Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #676
Master Chief
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Default Re: Tomb Raider (2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
I too like my CE 8" Lara figure but she is a pain in the ass to get her to stand up without getting her posed JUST right but the articulation (hell her ponytail is articulated ), and detailing on her is incredible, I may have to pick up more figures from Play Arts Kai in the near future (great there goes my savings ).
It is pretty awesome.

For once a CE actually has a high quality collectible.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #677
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

She looks alright but I wasn't a fan of the overspray on her skin tones and stuff. It makes her look too stylized or something.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #678
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
She looks alright but I wasn't a fan of the overspray on her skin tones and stuff. It makes her look too stylized or something.
Its seems thats like a hallmark of the Play Arts. My 47 collectable has the same issue on his head. Its like dark shadowing i guess, but just makes him look dirty. Other than that its a great piece.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #679
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

I figured it was a PlayArts for that specific reason haha but I wasn't sure. Their Mass Effect figures are like that, too, and I think it looks really bad on those. But, to each their own.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #680
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Holy crap, this is awesome. I just put a decent amount of time into it and it just keeps getting better. I had to sound like I'm always mentioning Uncharted with this, but I think this has already exceeded Uncharted in just about every area, except for supporting cast. I think overall, Drake is a more likable character, and Elena, Sully, and Chloe are all characters that you care about, although I think this version of Lara is a great character as well. I definitely feel more for her than I ever did for Drake, simply because all of the turmoil she has gone through. But Uncharted almost seems light-hearted compared to this, which is why a character like Drake works so well in that franchise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
Thinking back, I was only disappointed in one thing, kind of spoilers ahead,

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I wish they gave you dual pistols w/ unlimited ammo for the whole last section. That fan service would have really hammered in her transformation for me.
I haven't finished the game yet, so I don't know what that last section is like, but I agree
after Roth's death, they showed two pistols, and I couldn't help but feel like Lara was going to take both of them right then and there. The sections right before seemed like Lara's ultimate breaking point where she was just determined to kill, so it would have made perfect sense to do it there.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #681
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
I haven't finished the game yet, so I don't know what that last section is like, but I agree
after Roth's death, they showed two pistols, and I couldn't help but feel like Lara was going to take both of them right then and there. The sections right before seemed like Lara's ultimate breaking point where she was just determined to kill, so it would have made perfect sense to do it there.
I thought the same thing

Old 03-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #682
Master Chief
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Quote:
Holy crap, this is awesome. I just put a decent amount of time into it and it just keeps getting better. I had to sound like I'm always mentioning Uncharted with this, but I think this has already exceeded Uncharted in just about every area, except for supporting cast. I think overall, Drake is a more likable character, and Elena, Sully, and Chloe are all characters that you care about, although I think this version of Lara is a great character as well. I definitely feel more for her than I ever did for Drake, simply because all of the turmoil she has gone through. But Uncharted almost seems light-hearted compared to this, which is why a character like Drake works so well in that franchise.
Yup, I agree. I like the Uncharted series but I prefer the direction they went with Tomb Raider. Uncharted goes for that cinematic approach to the combat, which I do appreciate, but I have more fun in Tomb Raider since it's all about being lethal. When it comes to action set pieces though I think they're neck and neck.

I smirked when I saw the two pistols... and then she gives one away. Such a tease.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #683
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I know this comparison was made before, but I didn't really see it right away, but this is a lot like Arkham Asylum, both in terms of the closed "open world" and well at the equipment upgrades. I'd almost go as far as to say the only similarity to Uncharted is the treasure hunting and the action. Also, I'm glad they didn't do any co-op sections where you have a fellow crew member accompany you. It worked in Uncharted because those supporting characters were great, but this game didn't need it.

But with that said, I have some concerns over how CD will be able to tops themselves with a sequel. Both Arkham games work very well in a contained, yet open environment, but I wonder if they will try the same with this. I think this game works very well in this setting because it provides for great gameplay and character growth, but I can't help but wonder where they'll go from here. Perhaps Lara will get stuck in a huge mountain/cave and discover more traditional tombs. Whatever the case, I'm definitely interested to see what they have planned next.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #684
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

NG+ isn't something they could patch in, is it?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #685
Master Chief
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Quote:
But with that said, I have some concerns over how CD will be able to tops themselves with a sequel. Both Arkham games work very well in a contained, yet open environment, but I wonder if they will try the same with this. I think this game works very well in this setting because it provides for great gameplay and character growth, but I can't help but wonder where they'll go from here. Perhaps Lara will get stuck in a huge mountain/cave and discover more traditional tombs. Whatever the case, I'm definitely interested to see what they have planned next.
I'm excited to see how they introduce the new gameplay and storytelling for the sequel for that very reason. Lara is hopefully not going to be stranded next time, she'll be right where she wants to be. As long as they find a way to stay with the linear narrative (I hope Rhianna Pratchett comes back to write the sequel) and somewhat open-world element I'll be happy. Puzzle difficulties would be rad too. I know there are people who aren't fans of puzzles but it was a bit of a bummer that every puzzle could be figured out in a minute with a quick look around, then it was all about the timing.

It would blow my mind if they start from scratch again though. But I don't want to wait another 5 years.

Quote:
NG+ isn't something they could patch in, is it?
I don't see why it would be hard to do. They probably won't though.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #686
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
I'm excited to see how they introduce the new gameplay and storytelling for the sequel for that very reason. Lara is hopefully not going to be stranded next time, she'll be right where she wants to be. As long as they find a way to stay with the linear narrative (I hope Rhianna Pratchett comes back to write the sequel) and somewhat open-world element I'll be happy. Puzzle difficulties would be rad too. I know there are people who aren't fans of puzzles but it was a bit of a bummer that every puzzle could be figured out in a minute with a quick look around, then it was all about the timing.

It would blow my mind if they start from scratch again though. But I don't want to wait another 5 years.
Yeah, I think the puzzles and tombs in this game were only added so that it would have some resemblance to a Tomb Raider game, otherwise this would just be a game about survival. But I definitely think there will be more focus on it in the next game, as opposed to this one where it is literally something you do on the side. But I do hope they don't go back to a traditional "level" structure.

I'm also curious to see what they do about things like animals and enemies. There was a lack of human enemies in all of the past games except Legend, and I never really liked how Lara would go on a killing spree of tigers and bears and stuff like that. In this game, it made perfect sense to kill because it was all for survival. But I'd hate to see them turn her into a stone cold killer just for the hell of it.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #687
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Finished the game tonight and I already can't wait for the next one. What an awesome game. That moment when
Lara finally gets her trademark dual pistols
plastered a giant smile on my face.

Just so good. Going through for relics and stuff now. As I said before I really hope they add NG+ because I'm missing a few enemy related achievements and now there's no enemies left to kill lol

Old 03-13-2013, 01:35 AM   #688
Darkness Falls
Do Try To Keep Up.....

just beat the game, amazing

Better Call Saul
Old 03-13-2013, 01:38 AM   #689
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I think I'm pretty much at the end of the game, but I'm backtracking to collect as much salvage and experience points as I can so I can get all of the upgrades before I finish the game.

I did notice that there were some sections where I was still being attacked by enemies from earlier in the game.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:59 AM   #690
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Finished the game tonight and I already can't wait for the next one. What an awesome game. That moment when
Lara finally gets her trademark dual pistols
plastered a giant smile on my face.

Just so good. Going through for relics and stuff now. As I said before I really hope they add NG+ because I'm missing a few enemy related achievements and now there's no enemies left to kill lol
Many of the areas will respawn enemies

Old 03-13-2013, 03:57 AM   #691
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

I just started playing tonight and just got to the part where the crazy ancient soldiers just showed up . I am liking it, it strikes me as a more violent Uncharted. I put her in the mud outfit cause I caught the reference to Predator and I like Predator.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #692
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Many of the areas will respawn enemies
From what I've experienced, they only reapawn once. But I might be wrong.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #693
jacobed
Banned User

If you leave and come back they'll be back

Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #694
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Awesome, thanks!

Old 03-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #695
Storm22
Side-Kick

The enemies only respawn once unfortunately.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #696
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Just finished and LOVED IT! They did a good job of setting up a sequel, which I hope is just as good if not better and doesnt take forever to get to us.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #697
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I agree, I just finished it and they have undoubtedly already set it up for a sequel. My only question is how much of this new Lara will end up mimicking the one from past games. I like that we saw the Dual Pistols, but I don't necessarily think the game needs it. It was a nice throwback, but I don't think it would work control wise if they want you to be able to shoot them separately. But I was also kinda expecting some crazy flips and stuff as another nod, but like I said, I hope they really flesh this version out and don't make her into a carbon copy.

I think overall, I would rate this game as a perfect 10, but the multiplayer really hurts it, and the trophies that are related are don't seem worth grinding/boosting for. But I am definitely going to buy this game once the price drops just because I think it is the best game I've played in a long while. Definitely in my top 5 from this generation.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #698
The Hill
Frat House Member

Quote:
Yeah, I think the puzzles and tombs in this game were only added so that it would have some resemblance to a Tomb Raider game, otherwise this would just be a game about survival. But I definitely think there will be more focus on it in the next game, as opposed to this one where it is literally something you do on the side. But I do hope they don't go back to a traditional "level" structure.

I'm also curious to see what they do about things like animals and enemies. There was a lack of human enemies in all of the past games except Legend, and I never really liked how Lara would go on a killing spree of tigers and bears and stuff like that. In this game, it made perfect sense to kill because it was all for survival. But I'd hate to see them turn her into a stone cold killer just for the hell of it.
Yeah, I mentioned in an earlier post about how super easy the tombs were and how all but two of them didn't put your life at risk, like where were the deathtraps and the like? You'd think since the Tombs were optional, they'd be the hardest and highlight of the game. As for the enemies, it only made sense you fought more animals than humans, after all you were exploring ABANDONED exploration sites where only preditory animals would reside. I'm only in favor of human fighting where it made sence (like this game). Overall, Tomb Raider should be more about exploration than combat anyway. Leave the heavy combat to Uncharted.

Another thing that kinda annoyed me was that for all the trouble CD went through to showcase Lara being vulnerable in the beginning it kinda rings hollow when when the removed the healthbar in favor for the dreaded "Wolverine healing powers" so many games are adopting and you see Lara taking all these bumps and she walks mostof these off no problem. One part I did like was
her first bump when she fell on a stick and was impailed and then later reopening that wound after the Mountain Decent where she had to seal the wound in the Shanty Town.

I wished there was a difficulty like in Hitman: Absolution where you can turn off the instinct hints and forces you to explore more for the purist TR player.

"Shepard you're missing it! It's Goddamn GLORIOUS! I'm clawing out bodies out here!" Grunt Mass Effect 2
Old 03-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #699
jacobed
Banned User

Just don't hit the lb than there'd be no instinct, simple as that

Old 03-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #700
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hill View Post
Yeah, I mentioned in an earlier post about how super easy the tombs were and how all but two of them didn't put your life at risk, like where were the deathtraps and the like? You'd think since the Tombs were optional, they'd be the hardest and highlight of the game. As for the enemies, it only made sense you fought more animals than humans, after all you were exploring ABANDONED exploration sites where only preditory animals would reside. I'm only in favor of human fighting where it made sence (like this game). Overall, Tomb Raider should be more about exploration than combat anyway. Leave the heavy combat to Uncharted.

Another thing that kinda annoyed me was that for all the trouble CD went through to showcase Lara being vulnerable in the beginning it kinda rings hollow when when the removed the healthbar in favor for the dreaded "Wolverine healing powers" so many games are adopting and you see Lara taking all these bumps and she walks mostof these off no problem. One part I did like was
her first bump when she fell on a stick and was impailed and then later reopening that wound after the Mountain Decent where she had to seal the wound in the Shanty Town.

I wished there was a difficulty like in Hitman: Absolution where you can turn off the instinct hints and forces you to explore more for the purist TR player.
I honestly dind't think about the health bar thing until you mentioned it. I wonder, how much of it was done because that's just how games are being made now, and how much of it was to stray away from the previous series. I think the argument can be made that it made better sense story wise for Lara to shake off the bumps and bruises until the story calls for her to deal with a bad wound. Yet at the same time, that was one criticism I heard about Uncharted where Drake would take hundred of grazed bullets and be okay, but then feel so much pain but on wound in a cutscene. I think all and all, that's just the nature of the industry now.

As for the Tombs, I'm listening/watching IGN's Spoilercast and I thought it was interesting how they said the tombs were supposed to be secret, yet the game tells you exactly where they are. As for the instinct, I like how they handled it in this one, as opposed to Detective Mode in the Arkham games where you're more likely to just play the game with that on the entire time.