2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #651
Donut
Side-Kick

Default Re: Oblivion

I remember everyone that saw the test screenings hating the ending. I guess its possible that nothing was changed ?

Old 04-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #652
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I'll never understand the love Duncan Jones gets from critics. Moon damn near put me to sleep and Source Code wasn't half as clever as it tried to be.

Never seen Moon, and Source Code really wasn't that good imo. I really hope Jones can handle Warcraft.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #653
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

As I said in the "Last movie you watched?" thread, the influences are clear but the film has it's own visual DNA and more importantly it's own soul. Cruise as always is excellent in the lead while Olga Kurylenko and Andrea Riseborough give good support, Olga has the most soulful face of any actress I've seen.

Fans of sci fi films will be able to point their fingers at certain aspects as ideas that have been used in some form in other works, there are two shots in particular that Kosinski uses that are straight nods to A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, in fact the Sky Tower is like a mini Bespin.

However this melting pot has enough of it's own flavours that it stands on it's own two feet. The plot is engaging and the future earth that Kosinski has created is immersive and hauntingly beautiful. At the center of this is the journey of discovery we go on with Jack Harper as he seeks answers and enjoys the nostalgia of what we know as current life on Earth.

There is a big twist in here however it is not as straight forward as you might think and I actually found the full reveal and resolution both exciting and chilling.

Kosinski shoots his set pieces with a kinetic flair, the bubble ship is the greatest sci fi vehicle since The Falcon and Slave 1 and the sequence in which Jack battles three drones in it is brilliant, easily the movies stand out action set piece. There are other good action sequences dotted around the movie that are served well by quieter moments that fuel them.

If I had one complaint it is the last scene, the movies actual twist works great but I felt that when Jack destroys the TET and the drones all crash offline, that the other Jack's and Victoria's should all die as well as they were created by it.

So when the 2nd Jack from the reveal pops up at Julia's (Olga) lake cabin at the end after 3 years of searching, it kinda spoils the sacrifice of the main clone Jack that fought back and makes me wonder just how many other Jack's might start popping up at her door remembering that they love her.

All in all though this delivers as the first blockbuster of the year and continues the strong run of quality original sci fi films that we have gotten over the last few years.

8/10

Last edited by Hunter Rider; 04-10-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #654
georgec
Not a hero

I've barely this film's development and marketing. But it seems people are saying there's enough to enjoy for sci-fi fans.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #655
Rowsdower!
THIS GUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Never seen Moon, and Source Code really wasn't that good imo. I really hope Jones can handle Warcraft.
Yeah, I hope Warcraft is good. Maybe then I'll finally get the Diablo movie I've been dreaming about for the last 12 years (yeah, right).

Old 04-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #656
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

The reviews good and bad are making me less and less interested because I haven't read anything in them that sounds super appealing. If my sister wants to I'll see it with her but I would have no trouble waiting for DVD.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #657
JackBauer24
Side-Kick

Just seen this at an advance IMAX screening.

Pros: Visually stunning, fantastic score, decent performances, engaging enough plot, intriguing beginning, very atmospheric.

Cons: Becomes predictable as it develops, derivative, slightly overlong.

On the whole, I actually really enjoyed it. Don't know if it would stand up to repeat viewings but at times I was genuinely swept away by the visuals and the score.

My advice, worth seeing - and if you're going to see it, see it on the biggest screen, with the best sound system that you can. Don't worry too much about the story, and let the images/music envelop you.

Certainly a cut above most sci-fi action crap you find these days - slower paced, more focus on setting and mood. Less Michael Bay style action.

"You probably don't think that I can force this towel down your throat. But trust me I can. All the way. Except I hold onto this one little bit at the end. And when your stomach starts to digest it, I pull it out. Taking your stomach lining with it."
Old 04-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #658
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
As I said in the "Last movie you watched?" thread, the influences are clear but the film has it's own visual DNA and more importantly it's own soul. Cruise as always is excellent in the lead while Olga Kurylenko and Andrea Riseborough give good support, Olga has the most soulful face of any actress I've seen.

Fans of sci fi films will be able to point their fingers at certain aspects as ideas that have been used in some form in other works, there are two shots in particular that Kosinski uses that are straight nods to A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, in fact the Sky Tower is like a mini Bespin.

However this melting pot has enough of it's own flavours that it stands on it's own two feet. The plot is engaging and the future earth that Kosinski has created is immersive and hauntingly beautiful. At the center of this is the journey of discovery we go on with Jack Harper as he seeks answers and enjoys the nostalgia of what we know as current life on Earth.

There is a big twist in here however it is not as straight forward as you might think and I actually found the full reveal and resolution both exciting and chilling.

Kosinski shoots his set pieces with a kinetic flair, the bubble ship is the greatest sci fi vehicle since The Falcon and Slave 1 and the sequence in which Jack battles three drones in it is brilliant, easily the movies stand out action set piece. There are other good action sequences dotted around the movie that are served well by quieter moments that fuel them.

All in all though this delivers as the first blockbuster of the year and continues the strong run of quality original sci fi films that we have gotten over the last few years.

8/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
Just seen this at an advance IMAX screening.

Pros: Visually stunning, fantastic score, decent performances, engaging enough plot, intriguing beginning, very atmospheric.

Cons: Becomes predictable as it develops, derivative, slightly overlong.

On the whole, I actually really enjoyed it. Don't know if it would stand up to repeat viewings but at times I was genuinely swept away by the visuals and the score.

My advice, worth seeing - and if you're going to see it, see it on the biggest screen, with the best sound system that you can. Don't worry too much about the story, and let the images/music envelop you.

Certainly a cut above most sci-fi action crap you find these days - slower paced, more focus on setting and mood. Less Michael Bay style action.
That sounds right up my alley. Awesome.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 04-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #659
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

Not that I put too much stock on Rotten Tomatoes but I don't think I've ever seen a 99% for the Audience "want to see" rating

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/oblivion_2013/

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 04-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #660
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 04-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #661
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by addison81 View Post
Yeah I don't get the hate. I like Tom Cruise. Sure he might do some odd stuff, but that wont keep me from enjoying his work.
Ditto. In the end, he does his job well, and that act in decent movies, and he entertains the hell out of me, what he does off the clock is none of my business, nor does it affect his work, and that is that.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #662
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

http://io9.com/first-oblivion-review...th-i-472164153 Io9 has a collection of reviews but chooses to ignore the positive ones that are floating around.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #663
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Most of positives ones are not calling this an amazing or even good film. They are saying it's decent because of the visuals. That being said it is unfair to only focus on the negative ones. And positive and negative reviews do not effect my opinion on any film anyway. If I agree with the critics I agree, if I don't, I don't.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:33 AM   #664
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
I thought so too (especially TDKR tracks).

Anyone else liked the original (?) song ("Oblivion") in the OST? Been listening to it on repeat.
Yes, the midpoint of You Can Save Her (or whatever it's called) is 100% the beginning of Gotham's Reckoning. And one of the main themes of the movie is very similar to the heroic part of Like A Dog Chasing Cars.

I love the "Oblivion" track.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #665
Tim_Riggins
Dillon Panthers

I really really like it.

First of all, I couldn"t stop marveling the whole movie about how insanely beautiful Oblivion is. Seriously, don't worry about no 4K, I have rarely seen such a crisp, and sharp image (except for maybe The Hobbit or Prometheus), the F65 has a gorgeous, unique look. This + the beautiful set, production design, and VFX, makes it a sight to behold. It is jaw dropping just how beautiful it is.

The score by M83 HAS to be experienced on the big screen, and with great sound (obviously), seriously, I cant imagine what this must be like in IMAX. I love it as a standalone, but man, does it come alive on the big screen, my screening was loud, and hearing the M83 score blaring (I'm looking at you Starwaves !) on top of gorgeous visuals, I was all giddy inside.

What surprised me is the script. I keep reading the script is weak, and I disagree, even if there are some moments (very few) where dialogue is a tad uninspired, and even if, YES, the movie mixes some elements that we may have seen in other movies (hard to be innovative in sci-fi), I just love the twist.

The ending, I had no problem with, I even love it, but I can definitely understand why some don't like it, I just like the idea, and it makes the ending quite emotional I got to say, I find it really beautiful, but let's wait until some others see it here to talk about it.

Tom Cruise, and I love the guy, clearly believes in his character, he's not phoning it in, he definitely brings something very personal to the role, I just really really like what we see of him in this movie, I can't really describe it.

Olga Kurylenko is good, she is, I remain convinced that she has real talent (obviously sir Malick thinks the same), there is something about her, and I find her beauty very interesting, very graceful.

Freeman, I sh it you not, as you have seen in reviews, is there for, I'd say, 10 to 15 minutes, good as always. Waldau, I'm disappointed, he barely says anything in the whole movie, he's just there, but he looks badass, and I like him a lot, so it's all good ^^

Riseborough is interesting, first movie I see her in, she's pretty good here.

The opening is really classy by the way. Cinematography, score, action, all good. There's not a lot of action, but the main set piece is really exciting.

I may love Tron Legacy more, because it's Tron, and it's just something special to me. However, Oblivion is a really really cool movie.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #666
Destructus86
Side-Kick

I keep hearing in reviews the biggest downside of the film is that it's not original.

To be honest...I don't care about originality. As long as the film is put together well and is enjoyable...that's all that matters to me.

I wouldn't even care if it was a movie about a man saving a princess from an evil warlord or whatever...I'd still enjoy it...IF it was well made.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #667
jacobed
Banned User

Agreed, hate the originality complaint. Nothing is original anymore

Old 04-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #668
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

New TV Spot

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...51376947935163

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 04-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #669
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I think its more of a matter that it employs tropes that have been used very recently and in more well liked films.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #670
myword
Side-Kick

Caught this here (Singapore) yesterday. I agree with most of the comments. It's a good, not great, science fiction flick. It has interesting moments but drags at times. Joseph Konsinski is definitely a director I'm interested in seeing more from. If you like my full review's here. Don't worry I've avoided spoilers. Curious how this will perform at the box-office. Thoughts?

Old 04-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #671
Liam_H
Side-Kick

All these reviews seem so similar to Tron Legacy. Great to look at but lacking in story.

Spill

Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #672
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Just watched the making of on HBO. So much Olga. I am there the first day now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post

If I had one complaint it is the last scene, the movies actual twist works great but I felt that when Jack destroys the TET and the drones all crash offline, that the other Jack's and Victoria's should all die as well as they were created by it.

So when the 2nd Jack from the reveal pops up at Julia's (Olga) lake cabin at the end after 3 years of searching, it kinda spoils the sacrifice of the main clone Jack that fought back and makes me wonder just how many other Jack's might start popping up at her door remembering that they love her.

8/10
Yes, yes she does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Well that is what happens when you pitch it as something mysterious. A film needs a strong foundation.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 04-12-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #673
chaseter
Bland User

I just wish there was a different lead beside Tom Cruise. Cruise kinda makes me go eh... I do love him in MI but I wish they would have scooped up a younger talented lead. He just looks bland here to me here. Nothing really pulls me in aside from the visuals.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:35 AM   #674
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now

Just got home from seeing it.

A visually engaging film with a story that honestly didn't do it for me. I can deal with similarities to other plot lines with some films but I just couldn't find myself dealing with it with Oblivion. Performances from all actors, specifically Tom Cruise are solid and enjoyable enough for the audience to care about what will happen.

On the positive side of things, Joseph Kosinski has created a visually stunning and engaging world that requires the biggest screen possible along with an awesome sound system for an enjoyable but sometimes derivative score by M83. Oh and the Bubble Ship is damn cool.

3.5/5

Old 04-12-2013, 03:10 AM   #675
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Listened to the whole soundtrack. Holy f**k!

Closed Thread