Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #701
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Default Re: Oblivion

Box Office Results: 42 No. 1 Domestically, Oblivion Big Overseas

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=102919

Quote:
Internationally, Joseph Kosinski's sci-fi thriller Oblivion, starring Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman, Olga Kurylenko, Andrea Riseborough, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Melissa Leo, debuted in 7,444 theaters in 52 countries. The film earned an estimated $61.1 million and was No. 1 in 48 of the countries. Oblivion opens in domestic theaters and IMAX on Friday, April 19.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #702
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Old 04-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #703
dark_b
Side-Kick

very good

Old 04-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #704
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOD View Post
I guess it has been discussed here before, but this movie is a huge dissapointment. Its plot is basically the same of another very recent sci-fi movie, they just added a couple of changes, more fx, more money and action, and Tom Cruise, but overall it's just the same movie.

I know that previous movie had elements of many others and many of its ideas had been used a billion times before, but it was a decent/good movie that has been blatantly ripped-off too soon to be just a coincidence.

I've read that the the director/writer claims to have written this movie around 2005, but I don't buy it, it's too similar to that other movie. Maybe he wrote a movie about an alien invasion in 2005, but several key points on the plot have blatantly been copied from this:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Moon used a lot of story points and tropes that have been used many times as well.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #705
jacobed
Banned User

Yeah definitely. Moon was not original at all

Old 04-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #706
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Wasn't really impressed by this film at all.

Kinda flat characterisation, had absolutely no emotional weight ( I cry easily in films, so it's always a bad sign when even things like character deaths don't even touch me), IMO badly paced, dragged a lot in places, and tried to juggle too much into the plot which basically meant none of it was fleshed out at all... just kept jumping from one thing to another.

It just brought nothing new to the table.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 04-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #707
jacobed
Banned User

I agree with most of what you said but why does it have to bring something new to the table

Old 04-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #708
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I agree with most of what you said but why does it have to bring something new to the table
Because the fact that it didn't made it really boring?

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 04-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #709
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Pretty decent movie. The first third was kind of a drag. I understand trying to set up the environment(great visuals) and stuff but it just felt like it was in there for the sake of it. Really could've been trimmed down. However the latter half picks up and the emotional payoff worked for me.

Enjoyed this quite a bit more than Tron Legacy. Big reason is Tom Cruise didn't feel like a block of wood unlike the lead in the latter.

Spill

Old 04-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #710
Lord Blackbolt
Side-Kick

Just saw this tonight. Visually one of the most beautiful movies I've seen this year. WOW!
Action was great and I thought the emotional payoff was great as well. I was at the live chat with Tom and the Director and they were talking about plans for a sequel. I hope this movie does great at the Box office.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #711
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

This was absolutely incredible both visually and story wise. Joseph Kosinski knows how to create worlds and mythologies. Tom Cruise really go into the character which was definitely needed since the movie was being carried on his shoulders. Olga Kurylenko did a fine job and can give you a sense of hope in the film but Andrea Riseborough overshadows her. She was almost a show stealer and Morgan Freeman is Morgan Freeman which is always good and kicked some ass. While there was a lot of zen like pace (which I really dug), there was a pretty good amount of action from the ruthless drones to the scavs. For a 2 hour movie it felt much longer yet I never felt bored or tried by it. The twists in the movie is something I can see why some people aren't clamoring with the film... because it's tropes some people have seen and or read before but I can't knock it for that because it worked very well. The film wanted to be a scifi from the 60s/70s it damn sure delivered. I really want to see it again and the IMAX screening was fun, it filled the entire screen for the entire time.
9.5/10

Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #712
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Also after seeing Oblivion I can see Kosinski really wanting to create a MCP from Tron...perhaps we will see it in Tron 3?

Old 04-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #713
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Old 04-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #714
Vapor
Omlette Du Fromage

I dunno, I'm kinda 50/50 on this one..

I liked the concept in general. The score was good and the visuals/cinematography were fantastic. Cruise was decent as usual. But it felt kinda predictable to me...

The first sort of first half, I think I enjoyed the most, with the visuals and the intrigue of what happened and so forth.... and then it just kinda lost me a bit. I know there is the phrase "Nothing is original any more" but it just became a clichéd, seen it all before jigsaw of the past 15 years sci-fi.

Yet I did somewhat enjoy it.. Maybe I will feel different after a few days.

After seeing Tron Legacy and this, I'd like to see Kosinski do the Bioshock film. It would at least look fantastic like it should do.

Cat: Betty Rubble? Well, I would go with Betty...but I'd be thinkin' of Wilma.
Lister: This is stupid. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
Cat: You're right. We're nuts. This is an insane conversation.
Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

~ R.I.P Venom_UK
Old 04-17-2013, 03:27 AM   #715
nite-owl
Side-Kick

I actually wouldn't mind a sequel where Tom Cruises clones come looking for Olga Kurylenko.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:49 AM   #716
Vapor
Omlette Du Fromage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nite-owl View Post
I actually wouldn't mind a sequel where Tom Cruises clones come looking for Olga Kurylenko.
That could be cool. 1 tom cruise (#52) vs. 100 tom cruise clones, protecting her. Or if they went into other 'radiation zones' or something.

Cat: Betty Rubble? Well, I would go with Betty...but I'd be thinkin' of Wilma.
Lister: This is stupid. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
Cat: You're right. We're nuts. This is an insane conversation.
Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

~ R.I.P Venom_UK

Last edited by Vapor; 04-17-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #717
antonydelfini
The Destroyer

What an awesome movie.

PROS:
-Visuals: the effects, art direction, and cinematography are phenomenal. The best I've seen in many years.
-Tom Cruise and Andrea Riseborough gave their all
-The story: i agree with some of the reviews that it took stuff from other classics like Total recall, Matrix, Star Wars, Moon, Mad Max, Wall-E. but for me, it's all about the execution. And here it's told very well.
-Music: it's great but not as good as Tron's
-The pacing: I love the fact that it takes its time to tell its story.

Cons:
-Olga Kurylenko is stiff, unconvincing, and awkward.
-The resistance members were underdeveloped.
-The dialogue is forced and awkward at times.

Oblivion grade: 8.5/10

Other recent sci-fi movies:
Looper 8/10
Prometheus 7/10
Tron: Legacy 6.5/10
Inception 8.5/10
Moon 8.5/10
Children of Men 9.5/10
Sunshine 8/10
Matrix 9/10

Last edited by antonydelfini; 04-17-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #718
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Yeah the execution is always key and I think they pulled it off better than most scifi films today.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #719
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Oblivion and Pacific Rim Creators Team Up for Futuristic Cop Drama on AMC

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=103127

Quote:
Oblivion creator Joseph Kosinski and Pacific Rim writer Travis Beacham are teaming up for a new series at AMC. Titled "Ballistic City," the show will tell the story of "a former cop thrust into the criminal underworld of a city housed in a generational spaceship destined for an unknown world." The show's inspirations are said to come from Chinatown and Blade Runner.

In development now, the pilot will be written by Beacham with Kosinski signed on to direct. The pair will executive produce the series along with Anonymous Content's Steve Golin, Bard Dorros and Michael Sugar.

The series is being eyed as a companion to The Walking Dead should it be picked up. Check back here for more updates on the show as we learn them.

Kosinski's Oblivion opens this Friday, while Pacific Rim opens July 12.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #720
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Yeah definitely. Moon was not original at all
I think Moon is an anomaly though. It clearly wears it influences on its sleeve and ain't hiding it. There's a charm to the film - maybe due to its old school visuals and feel - that resonates with people.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #721
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Anyone else surprised by how much they got away with the PG-13 rating?

Old 04-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #722
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy!"

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 04-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #723
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Anyone else surprised by how much they got away with the PG-13 rating?
I notice the PG-13 rating mentions nudity... did Olga or Andrea show anything more than what PG-13 movies allow nowadays?

"Come Think With Us."
Old 04-18-2013, 01:56 AM   #724
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
I notice the PG-13 rating mentions nudity... did Olga or Andrea show anything more than what PG-13 movies allow nowadays?

Now...I don't know if they did some fx clean up so you can't see anything but they were bordering on a R rating after that one scene....not to mention Tom used up the one F word rule for the movie. Either way, it took me by surprise...a pleasant surprise btw.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:08 AM   #725
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

CS Video: Director Joseph Kosinski and the Cast of Oblivion

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=102931

Quote:
ComingSoon.net talked to director Joseph Kosinski (TRON: Legacy), Morgan Freeman, Olga Kurylenko and Andrea Riseborough about Oblivion, hitting theaters and IMAX on Friday, April 19.

The film is set on a spectacular future Earth that has evolved beyond recognition. Tom Cruise plays a man whose confrontation with the past will lead him on a journey of redemption and discovery as he battles to save mankind.

Below, you can check out the video interviews, which also include Kosinski talking about the next TRON movie. He says that they are "working on the script for the next 'TRON.' I think it's pretty clear my love of working in the real world and real locations from this film. If we were to take that into the universe of 'TRON,' I think people can put that together what that means for that franchise. So it's a pretty exciting idea we have for it, and we're in the early stages, but I think it could be very cool."

Closed Thread