1 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #826
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Default Re: Oblivion

$38.1M opening weekend!

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 04-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #827
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Would have worked much better as a video game than a movie.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #828
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishAvenger View Post
$38.1M opening weekend!
Awesome news.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #829
The Navigator
Punch Punch Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishAvenger View Post
$38.1M opening weekend!
Excellent.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #830
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

This is Tom Cruise's best US opening in 7 years.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #831
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

The film also received a B- Cinema Score.

INTERSTELLAR

Old 04-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #832
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:
Similar to Cruise's Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Oblivion was supposed to open a week early in IMAX to build word-of-mouth. That plan was cancelled recently, likely because the final product wasn't exactly stellar—it's currently below 60 percent on Rotten Tomatoes—and instead Universal opted for a more traditional launch in to 3,782 locations this weekend. While there's not a ton of competition in the marketplace right now, there is Iron Man 3 on the horizon, which is a big-enough event that it could slightly mute Oblivion grosses. Still, Universal is expecting at least $30 million this weekend, which should be an easy number to reach for Oblivion.

It's worth noting that regardless of how Oblivion fares in the U.S., it's already a solid earner overseas: the movie opened to $61 million from most foreign markets this past weekend, and it appears on track for at least $200 million before the end of its run.
http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3671&p=.htm

Old 04-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #833
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

I really enjoyed this one. Both the visuals and music were superb. The scene where they are having dinner in the middle of the night and you can see the moon was really nice.
The music reminden me a lot of Tron Legacy, also the track playing when he reads the book sounded like a sped-up version of the galaxy theme frpm Mass Effect.
The drones were really well with all the noises they made, they felt a bit like terminators.
Definitely worth a rewatch.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 04-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #834
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Well it did slightly above expectations this weekend. Probably a good idea to get this out before the summer deluge. It will probably finish up about $100 million-ish domestic and $300 million or more worldwide.

- CM Punk
Old 04-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #835
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

We've been hearing for years how Cruise's personal life hinders his box office, and yet...Knight and Day is the only one to ring true to that. People still like the dude.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #836
dark_b
Side-Kick

i didnt like the story but its an original scifi movie. so it needs to make money and i have to support it. Cruise was Tom Cruise in the movie. he was decent. he is also one of the best action actors. you belive that he was punched in the face.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #837
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

I've always liked Tom Cruise and I always will. People that let an actors personal life hinder how they feel about their films has always been more than ridiculous to me.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 04-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #838
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

I thought the story was great, but the script needed some polishing. The one criticism I feel is truly deserved is that Kosinski is too close to the material as director. There are pros and cons to this, and the cons happened to be more prevalent than normal on this film.

I don't feel that the more concrete, negative labels - like calling this a "bad film" or a "flop" - are in any way deserved. I also don't feel that some of the statements about Joe's contribution to the shortcomings of TRON: Legacy are warranted. That falls to the writers. I think Joe is perhaps to thank for the positives that movie brought to the table. I have always been of the opinion that the movie is elevated far above its script because of the direction. The man has more promise than a lot of other directors with less experience than them. If he continues in sci-fi, and continues to hone his skills, I'm very excited for the future of the genre.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #839
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

I feel this was the best pure science fiction film that has come out in the last 20 years. Inception was a great film, but it's not pure science fiction. It's more of a heist film, formed into a science fiction story. Oblivion I much more on the lines of Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov.

The visuals were incredible, and the story line captivating. This was a film that I guesed from the previews that I pretty much could tell what the story line was going to be, and boy was I wrong.

Also, without giving too much away, the originality of the storyline was so refreshing. Finally someone that didn't try to make Aliens as little green men.

Needless to say this is a fabulous film, and I think it should have some great word of mouth reviews. The critics are way off on this one, this movie should have 80% reviews or better.

9.5/10

Old 04-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #840
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Ill say this much, after having to resort to wikipedia to help clear up the story for me (since my viewing last night left me absolutely befuddled as to what i just watched) the more I think about the film, the more I find myself actually liking it...

Old 04-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #841
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I just saw the movie and really liked it. Don't really have many complaints, except that final big battle scene was a big confusingly edited. Other than that, lots of good fun to be had. Worth the ticket.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #842
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Yeah I love this movie, Tom Cruise delivers yet AGAIN. He in my eyes is the definitive Movie Star, people go to see movies just because of him, not many of his colleagues can say that.....at all.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #843
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

^Agreed but yet there's some out there who despises him because they can't separate his movie career and his personal life.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #844
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Nice to see it opening strongly.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 04-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #845
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I have nothing against Cruise. Hell, I thought he did a good job with what little he was given. This movie relied heavily on him. He had to play so many roles.

I'm just amazed people here are giving the train wreck of a plot a pass.

And the ending. What the hell was that? She hooks up with the other clone? That's just creepy. Also makes me wonder what would happen if she met a third Jack clone. Awkward?

Old 04-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #846
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Just wait until all the other 50+ arrive, then it'll be a real party.

Spill

Old 04-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #847
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Plot holes are one thing. But that was just creepy.

I thought the whole point was that each clone had an individuality. The whole "you're different" thing with Morgan Freeman's character.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #848
DorneyDave
Side-Kick

I hated that
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
she was about to hook up with the other Jack to. I felt it really ruined the impact of "our" Jack going into the TET and sacrificing himself. Freeman's lines of "I knew you were special" and the entire point of our Jack was made useless when it was revealed that the other Jack was special to. Blah. Clone stories haha.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:25 AM   #849
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

What makes it even more unsettling is that there are a **** load of Jacks, all of whom apparently are dreaming about her.

Form a line behind Jack 52?

Old 04-22-2013, 04:06 AM   #850
LostSon88
Side-Kick