Old 04-22-2013, 04:10 AM   #851
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Default Re: Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorneyDave View Post
I hated that
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
she was about to hook up with the other Jack to. I felt it really ruined the impact of "our" Jack going into the TET and sacrificing himself. Freeman's lines of "I knew you were special" and the entire point of our Jack was made useless when it was revealed that the other Jack was special to. Blah. Clone stories haha.
Well to be honest, i'd take the clone of my wife and having a family over raising my kid and tending my garden, alone, every day for the rest of my ****ing life any day of the week.

Just being real here.

I mean, its not like she was with the real Jack anyway, he was a clone too.

Her Jack died a long time ago.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #852
dark_b
Side-Kick

but a big group of humans also came with the new Jack. i didnt like that Kosinski focuses on the new clone. she could be with another man.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:18 AM   #853
Liam_H
Side-Kick

That's not the point, 49 was suppose to be different and turn on TET but it appears all of them would've done the same.

Spill

Old 04-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #854
dark_b
Side-Kick

they would all done the same?

Old 04-22-2013, 04:38 AM   #855
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

It's a tricky question, since we don't know how the other ones would have reacted if finding Julia.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 04-22-2013, 05:04 AM   #856
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Also, what do you reckon of the Odyssey, how come it survived all this time?

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 04-22-2013, 05:34 AM   #857
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Yes, one could argue that all the Jack's could've reacted the same way by seeing Julia.

The fact that 52 spent 3 years searching for her would suggest that.

This idea that all the clones, still have that inherent love for her.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #858
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

49 had a head start on his past likely because of where he was stationed. That seemed to have a tremendous impact on triggering his memories.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #859
nightwing06
Side-Kick

No matter how many times i see it on T.V or in a film,the visual of a desolate big city,and it's
massive buildings and landmarks barren and partially intact can still inspire awe.
In Oblivion the aforementioned landmarks are buried in moss and grass covered
canyons,and waterfalls.

Oblivion is one of those films in which the visuals are so stunning and the SFX are so sleek,i have to
respect the hard work and i can partially forgive the films plotholes,multiple endings,and drawn out
guess what Sci-Fi movie we borrowed this scene from plot.The plot involves a drone repairman named
Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) who along with his communications officer and lover Victoria (Andrea Riseborough)
head an operation to extract any remaining resources left on Earth after a great battle with the alien Scavs
60 years ago in the year 2017 made Earth a wasteland.

Why is Jack having vivid flashbacks/dreams of another woman named Julia (Olga Kurylenko)?
Why are a group of people all dressed in black and lead by a man named Malcolm Beech (Morgan Freeman
wearing the coolest almost Darth Vader outfit ever!!)living underground?

The leads all do a fine job,but the semi love triangle between Cruise,Riseborough and Kurylenko
never feels believeable,no intensity just ho hum feel to it.

While Oblivion isnt a home run it's still interesting enough and stunning to at least make it to second base.
Im looking forward to reading the graphic novel on which the film is based.

Scale of 1-10 a 7

Old 04-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #860
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...cruises-443632
Quote:
Tom Cruise's sci-fi pic Oblivion opened to $38.2 million at the domestic box office to come in No. 1 after a better-than-expected performance and despite a B- CinemaScore. Overseas, the Universal pic continued to please, grossing $33.7 million in its second weekend for an international cume of $112 million and worldwide total of $150.2 million.

The movie marks Cruise's best North American opening outside of the Mission: Impossible franchise, not accounting for inflation, as well as his return to sci-fi (previous titles include War of the Worlds and Minority Report). In more good news for Cruise, moviegoers listed the actor as the primary reason for turning out, followed by the type of movie and co-star Morgan Freeman.

Directed by Joseph Kosinski (Tron: Legacy), Oblivion also Olga Kurylenko, Andrea Riseborough, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Melissa Leo. Peter Chernin and Dylan Clark produced. The pic cost Universal and Elliot Inc. at least $120 million to produce.

Adult male moviegoers fueled Oblivion, making up 57 percent of the audience.

Cruise's track record domestically has been mixed. Jack Reacher debuted to $15.2 million in December on its way to earning a so-so $80 million in North America. Conversely, Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol, opening to $29.6 million in December 2011, turned into a box-office monster, grossing nearly $700 million worldwide.

Set in 2077, 60 years after Earth has been destroyed by aliens, Oblivion follows one of the last humans stationed on the planet as he uncovers a troubling secret.

Universal decided to get a jump on the beginning of the crowded summer box office by opening Oblivion now. The studio has gone aggressively after males by advertising during major sporting events including the NCAA's March Madness.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 04-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #861
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Graphics FX Montage from Kosinski's 'Oblivion' by Munkowitz

http://vimeo.com/64377100

http://work.gmunk.com/OBLIVION-GFX

Old 04-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #862
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

So I have been listening to the soundtrack a few times at work tonight and I gotta say I really like it. It's like a mixture between the Tron Legacy score and Mass Effect 2 & 3.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #863
dark_b
Side-Kick

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/inside-oblivion/

Old 04-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #864
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

^Nice breakdown although I really want DD to release a video like last time with Tron Legacy.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #865
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Old 04-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #866
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwolf View Post
49 had a head start on his past likely because of where he was stationed. That seemed to have a tremendous impact on triggering his memories.
Agreed.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #867
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

The very idea of a world filled with Tom Cruise's is both scary and hot at the same time. The man was the sole reason the hot/crazy scale was created.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:20 AM   #868
dark_b
Side-Kick

all those clones dreaming about this woman that has kid sounds like a scifi horror movie directed by Ridley Scott. do it . i am serious. Kosinski should change the style for the sequel and do a hardcore scifi horor movie.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #869
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Since my work gets them early, there was a nice full article about Oblivion and Claudio Miranda's work. It was a fun read.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:33 AM   #870
Octoberist
point blank

Man, I wonder if this movie is gonna have any legs.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #871
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

It's looking pretty decent so far with the past two days.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pag...d=oblivion.htm

Monday
$2,704,845

Tusday
$3,158,805

Total Domestic
$42,918,135

Worldwide
$154,918,135

Old 04-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #872
Asr
Side-Kick

Saw the movie the other day and thought it was ok, maybe a 7/10.

Of course the visuals blew me away - the landscape & scenic stuff primarily but also the sci-fi gadgetry. Does anyone know the locations where the movie was shot? Jack's lakeside cabin also really looked like it was shot in Yosemite National Park but I couldn't be sure.

The music didn't really stick out to me, not sure why it's gotten compliments by others. It just seemed like a somewhat generically electronica-style score, nothing that special.

Probably my favorite part of the movie were the drones which were all kinds of bad-ass merely from the fact that they were armed to the teeth! The first time we saw a drone open fire, I thought HOLY CRAP IT'S A WIELDER OF DESTRUCTION! I wouldn't mind another movie in the Oblivion universe that featured more drones, they were that awesome!

Other than that, the movie fell apart mostly from the lack of writing and it started to feel like it was dragging at about 1.5 hours in. And the editing made some scenes completely confusing, notably when Jack started flying into outer space. I had no idea wtf was supposed to be happening there.

I love sci-fi in general and wanted to like this movie but certain elements of it just didn't make it gel together. It was also a little too focused on romantic sideplots for me (though Andrea Riseborough was certainly nice to look at).

Old 04-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #873
moviedoors
Side-Kick

What a great looking movie. Seriously, I don't know where else we have to go with special effects. There's not a frame in this movie that doesn't look absolutely real. It's seamless work.

But what a tedious, portentous, slow movie. Every major turn of the screw takes twice as long to unfold as it should. We're way ahead of the movie before it gets to its twists. The action scenes bored me to death. I never need to see yet another riff on the Death Star trench run with the ship-going-sideways-thru-the-narrow-pass escape. This movie is a narratively inert pastiche of ideas cribbed from better sources. They're ideas that could have worked with a better director at the helm, someone who knows how to make those ideas really sing, but that filmmaker is not Joesph Kosinski. Film critic James Rocchi nailed it when he called Kosinski an overpromoted set designer. He makes really pretty pictures that bore me to death. It's a step up from Tron: Legacy, but that is the definition of faint praise.

Last edited by moviedoors; 04-24-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:57 AM   #874
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Count me in among those who liked it. 6.5 or 7/10.

It's visual and aural sex.
Tom Cruise gives a subdued performance. Andrea did an amazing job, I thought. Leo was suitably creepy and the rest were serviceable to ok. But the movie rested on Cruise's shoulders, so it's all good.
Script did feature stuff you've seen before, but it's like accusing any movie of featuring a love story. Any scifi trope you see here is used as a tool to tell the story Kosinski wants to tell. However, the climax was a bit lazy and took some shortcuts, and the finale was emotional cheating. Otherwise, the movie woulda been a 7.5 or 8.
M83's music and the cinematography got me pregnant. When the track StarWaves started playing and I realised it wouldn't be accompanying Tom travelling through wastelands, but instead it would be dressing the pool scene, I almost f**kin' cried.
Production design was orgasmic. I'm in love with Tom's ship.

All in all, I enjoyed it. Kosinski will become great, but he does indeed need others to write scripts for him.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #875
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Thought this was a nice breakdown of all the themes and tropes Oblivion used.

The Science and Fiction of 'Oblivion'

http://mashable.com/2013/04/24/oblivion-movie-science/

Quote:
Oblivion, the sci-fi mind-bender topping the box office charts this week, is the first big popcorn movie of the season. Set in the year 2077, the film stars Tom Cruise and is notable for being an original story by director Joseph Kosinski not a franchise reboot or adaptation.

Original sci-fi movies are something of a commodity these days, even though it's almost impossible anymore to come up with a truly original sci-fi story. The territory has been thoroughly mapped for 100 years in cinema, and a few hundred years before than in literature.

Oblivion doesn't break much new ground, but it does take several classic science fiction tropes and sorts them into new and interesting combinations. In fact, the film takes on a remarkable number of major genre themes, each based in real-world scientific issues and conjecture. You might say it throws in everything but the kitchen sink. Oops, wait a sec. There's a kitchen sink scene, too.

1. Alien Invaders

Fiction: Oblivion's alien invasion scenario borrows imagery from canonical films like Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, contemporary special effects blockbusters like Independence Day and even TV's Star Trek: The New Generation (the Borg!).

In literature, of course, aliens have been invading Earth for as long as there have been science fiction stories. One of the first was Voltaire's short story "Micromegas," which envisioned titanic aliens from Saturn and the star Sirius visiting Earth and marveling at our arrogance, relative to our size. Judgmental aliens they're the worst.

Science: While scientific initiatives like SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) continue to watch the skies, no alien races have invaded Earth. So far as we know.

2. Robots in Revolt

Fiction: The most obvious cinematic predecessor of the rogue military drones in Oblivion are the lethal Skynet machines of the Terminator films. Oblivion also has several scenes reminiscent of the underrated 1987 freakout RoboCop. Oblivion and its disobedient artillery drones are really just a variation on the robot uprising stories that have fascinated science fiction writers through the years, most notably Isaac Asimov in his Robot novels.

Science: The U.S. and several other countries have unmanned military drones deployed around the world.

3. Off-World Colonies

Fiction: In the world of Oblivion, the bulk of Earth's population has retreated to Saturn's moon Titan. The idea of off-world colonies has been explored by countless sci-fi films such as Aliens, Total Recall and Blade Runner. Space colonies are a staple of sci-fi literature as well. In Asimov's Foundation series, all habitable planets in the galaxy are eventually terraformed and colonized.

Science: Titan has been cited as a possible destination for space colonies in that it has a dense atmosphere and oceans. Oceans of liquid methane, maybe. But still.

4. Post-Apocalyptic Devastation

Fiction: Oblivion is set in the aftermath of a worldwide nuclear war, and there's certainly no shortage of cinematic precedence in this area. Imagery in film recalls sequences from cult classics like Mad Max to the infamous TV movie The Day After and even video game franchises like the popular Fallout series. In books, apocalypse and post-apocalypse stories date all the way back to Mary Shelley and Edgar Allen Poe in the early 1800s.

Science: Oblivion leverages the familiar scientific predictions about the effects of a global thermonuclear war blasted landscapes, radiation zones, heavy weather and the destruction of most plant and animal life.

5. Clones

Fiction: It's hard to discuss this one without giving too much away, but yes clones make an appearance in Oblivion. The visuals in play recall The Matrix and Star Wars prequels, and there's even a nod to the awkward clone comedy of movies like Michael Keaton's Multiplicity. Clones are a recurring theme in sci-fi literature, tracing back to the decanted laborers of Aldous Huxley's 1932 novel Brave New World.

Science: The ethical and public policy issues around human cloning are enormous, but the technology already exists for cloning mammals. Some conspiracy-prone observers speculate that human cloning may already be underway in secret labs.

6. Subterranean Cities

Fiction: With Earth's surface largely uninhabitable, the refugees in Oblivion live underground in a network of ruins, caves and tunnels. There are specific cinematic similarities here with the Matrix and Terminator movies, and stories of subterranean cities are found throughout both sci-fi and fantasy fiction particularly in the works of J.R.R. Tolkein, H.G. Wells, Edgar Allen Poe and Jules Verne. You could even make the case that Dante's 14th century epic poem "The Divine Comedy" describes a particularly infernal underground community.

Science: Hundreds of underground complexes exist throughout the world, and many could fairly be termed cities. Montreal's Underground City La Ville Souterraine in French has more than 20 miles of tunnels connecting apartments, hotels, offices and shops.

7. Astronauts in Peril

Fiction: In its delirious second half, Oblivion delivers some story twists concerning yet another science fiction standby the abandoned astronaut in peril. Without giving too much away, it's safe to say you can hear echoes of classic sci-fi films such as Planet of the Apes and that old standby 2001: A Space Odyssey. Sci-fi nerds will also feel some resonance here with fiction from the Space Race era, particularly the work of Russian writer Stanislaw Lem (Solaris).

Science: In the history of manned spaceflight missions, more than 500 people have traveled in space, with 18 known fatalities in the U.S. and Russian programs.

Closed Thread