Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 02:54 AM   #901
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

Default Re: Oblivion

My new favorite tweet.

https://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon/stat...23339052351489

...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Old 05-03-2013, 04:02 AM   #902
dustbros
Side-Kick

^ Eh, like Moon invented that plot device? *shrug*

Old 05-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #903
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post

Are you an effective gif-maker?

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 05-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #904
Donut
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Who is this guy trying to kid ?

Last edited by Donut; 05-05-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #905
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

I don't know. It's Inception and Avatar all over again. I can understand why Duncan Jones would feel a little robbed, but it's not as if Moon was so innovative. I will disclose that I have yet to see it, but from what I know of the plot and its twists and turns, as well as what trailers/clips I have seen, he borrowed just as much from what came before as Kosinski has for Oblivion. It's all about taking themes and sci-fi tropes we've seen before and repackaging them into something new and fresh. I feel Oblivion does that, Moon did it, and every other great movie in any genre does that.

As I'm typing this, it occurs to me that science fiction probably has it easier than other genres, as we're expanding technology and the limits of our capability all the time. Horror and romantic-comedies probably have it the hardest. 500 Days of Summer is the only one I can think of in recent memory that felt like it managed to break free of the mold and formula a little bit. I can't think of the last horror movie I saw that genuinely scared me with that combination of jump-scares and downright disturbing, gonna-haunt-my-dreams ideas.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #906
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

UK Steelbook listed on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oblivion-Lim...dp/B00CWWERJO/

Old 05-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #907
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

This is gonna look amazing on blu-ray, simply amazing. After watching it twice, I think it will stand up to repeat viewings as well, enjoyed much more 2nd time.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 05-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #908
Hunter Rider
Ronin

Thanks for the heads up Kane, I've signed up to be notified when that is ready to order!

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 05-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #909
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

If the Aussie release cover isn't that good, especially if it's got that ugly Ultraviolet band, I'm importing!

Old 05-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #910
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Finally caught this at the cheap show last night.

I thought it was solidly enjoyable.

Was it extremely trope heavy? Definitely. The Moon comparisions are valid but at the same time I don't think its fair to call it an outright ripoff or anything. The reveals were similar but the implications were different. If anything, the film was several more shades of Wall-E than anything.

Personally I would have like to see a lot more of Morgan Freeman and co. They were introduced and then largely forgotten for much of the film. They definitely could have been established better.

I wasn't a huge fan of Tom Cruise's appearance at the ending. It kind of took away from what was supposed to be so special about 49.

I thought the film was incredibly well shot. I really apreciated the amount of on-location shooting they did, and the whole thing they did with filming the sky and projecting around the set made for a stunningly real effect. It looked completely real.

I must say I was somewhat disappointed with much of M83's score. It had its moments but for the most part felt like the band doing their very best Zimmer impression.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #911
the last son
Side-Kick

Haven't seen the movie yet, but "fearful odds" is one beautiful song

Old 06-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #912
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I got into this subject with Jack Reacher and it seems that Oblivion is going to top out at $89 million domestically. It has doubled the gross of it's budget if you include worldwide numbers.

But the fact that it didn't break $100 million domestically even for an April release which only 10 other films have achieved, does it mean that Cruise's movies only pull in the big bucks if it's Mission Impossible (Christmas or Summer release)?

Old 06-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #913
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Possibly, Jack Reacher and now Oblivion havent exactly been spectacular at the BO, but at the same time, they have been lower budget movies, with obviously less of a marketing budget as well. I think this could be a factor.

The MI movies have a budget of $150 million at least, and so their marketing budgets are bound to be higher as well. Not to mention they have a built in fan base not only from the series but from nearly 2 decades of movies as well.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 06-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #914
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

Quote:
Universal Studios has revealed all the details for the Blu-ray, DVD, and digital release of Oblivion. Check out the full press release below.

On a desolate, nearly ruined future Earth, Tom Cruise (Mission Impossible Franchise) and Academy Award® winner Morgan Freeman (The Dark Knight Rises, Wanted) star in the ground-breaking cinematic event Oblivion, a visually stunning, post-Apocalyptic thriller. A glimpse of a perilous future from visionary filmmaker Joseph Kosinski (TRON: Legacy) and the producers of Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Oblivion is "unlike anything you've ever seen" (Moviefanatic's Joel Amos), as one man confronts his mysterious past in a journey of redemption and discovery.

Based on Kosinski's acclaimed graphic novel, the film also stars Olga Kurylenko (Quantum of Solace, Seven Psychopaths), Andrea Riseborough (W.E., Happy-Go-Lucky), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Mama, "Game of Thrones") and Oscar®-winner Melissa Leo (The Fighter, Frozen River). Oblivion will be available on Digital July 23, 2013 as well as Blu-ray™ Combo Pack with DVD, Digital including UltraViolet™, and On Demand on August 6, 2013, from Universal Studios Home Entertainment.

It is 2077 and Earth has been decimated. Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) is a drone repairman on the evacuated planet, working with his partner Vika (Andrea Riseborough) to salvage vital resources. As their assignment approaches its final days, Jack rescues a beautiful stranger (Olga Kurylenko) from a downed spacecraft, triggering a chain of events that forces him to question everything he thought he knew and leaves humanity's fate in his hand. Intense, spectacular, and exciting (Scott Mantz, Access Hollywood), Oblivion combines a taut and original story with mind-bending special effects for an epic adventure that shouldn't be missed.

The Blu-ray™ Combo Pack allows fans to view Oblivion anytime, anywhere on the platform of their choice. It includes a Blu-ray™ disc, a DVD, and Digital including UltraViolet™ for the ultimate, complete viewing experience.

- Blu-ray™ disc unleashes the power of your HDTV and is the best way to watch movies at home, featuring perfect hi-def picture and hi-def sound.
- DVD offers the flexibility and convenience of playing movies in more places, both at home and away.
- UltraViolet™ is a revolutionary new way for fans to collect their movies and TV shows in the cloud. UltraViolet™ lets consumers instantly stream and download to tablets, smartphones, computers and TVs, including iPad®, iPhone®, Android™ and more.
- Also includes Digital Copy.

Bonus Features on Blu-rayTM and DVD:

- Feature Commentary with Tom Cruise and director Joseph Kosinski
- Deleted Scenes
- Promise of a New World: The Making of Oblivion—A comprehensive and thought-provoking multi-part feature covering the making of Oblivion, including:
- Destiny – Looks inside the conceptualization, development and pre-production of Oblivion and the planning that went into the Herculean task of shooting the epic film.
- Voyage – Follows the creation of the amazing Bubble Ship from its early design conception to its journey around the world. (Blu-ray™ exclusive)
- Combat – Explores the film's ground-breaking action and death-defying stunts, all performed by one of the most popular movie stars in the world. (Blu-ray™ exclusive)
- Illusion – Focuses on the film's post-production and dazzling visual effects.
- Harmony – Delves into the innovative musical world of M83.
- M83 Isolated Score—Watch the entire film accompanied by the evocative music track.

Quote:
Video
Codec: MPEG-4 AVC
Resolution: 1080p
Original aspect ratio: 2.39:1

Audio
English: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1

Old 06-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #915
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

You would've expect them to release a 4k mastered bluray.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #916
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

UltraViolet

Other than that, the feature set looks good.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #917
BlackFox
Almost ninja

This wasnt a bad film, not quite as good as I had hoped from trailers but solid and enjoyable. Yeah there certainly some pacing issues but the look of it was fantastic and the performances by and large were fine. Just felt it could have been really special but missed out on true greatness due to some flaws.

Would love to see another film of this in this universe though.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
Old 06-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #918
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 06-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #919
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

I wasn't able to see this in theaters, but can't wait to watch it when it releases.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #920
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

new official clip

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 07-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #921
Hunter Rider
Ronin

Comic-Con Meets Oblivion in a New Piece of Exclusive Art

Right click "View image" for full size.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 07-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #922
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

Nice foreground! It looks as though I'll be importing the UK steelbook. The Aussie Blu Ray cover has that garish Ultraviolet band on top.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #923
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

Stunning image.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #924
Blackman
C'mon Son

Tried watching this. I shut it off. It's not even shut it off because it's bad, it was just so damn boring to me,which sucks because I like all the actors, I like the director, and the visuals were great. But I was falling asleep and my mind was wandering about an hour in.

Im going to try and rewatch it someday though.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #925
StarLord
It's Horchata, man.

I liked it for the most part.

'The Scavs' weren't that much of a feature once...
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
they were revealed and when Jack joined them, they seemed so helpless for being such a ''threat''.

It was visually stunning though.

Closed Thread