4 10 5.59%
3 15 8.38%
2 3 1.68%
1 - Marlon Wayans 15 8.38%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #26
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

How many battles are there that involves Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow? And what is the last we see of both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laudanum09 View Post
Terminator Salvation in my opinion beats them both in terms of story, action and acting. A sad summer.
I don't think I could ever believe this. Watching TS gave me a headache from the intro, and then I fell asleep during the rest of the film.

Last edited by Morg; 08-07-2009 at 05:59 PM.
LightningFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #27
laudanum09
romantysanthrope

Default Re: G.I. Joe ROC: User reviews!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningFlash View Post
How many battles are there that involves Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow? And what is the last we see of both?
Let me think...there are at least three.

1.) pretty brief one at the Joe HQ
2.) The accelerator chase, a pseudo battle since Snake Eyes is on top of the hummer most of the time (maybe its just a big jeep? I dunno)
3.) Final battle at the MARS underwater base. This is the last we see of Storm Shadow, we see Snake Eyes two more times towards the end 'denouement', once when General Hawk is patting the guys on the back for a job well done and one more time when they're all walking together through joe HQ at the end.

Good fights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningFlash View Post
I don't think I could ever believe this. Watching TS gave me a headache from the intro, and then I fell asleep during the rest of the film.
It's just personal taste. I really liked TS, but to try and be objective the acting was better because you had better actors and a different tone that made room for this. ROTF's best characters were CGI robots and the plot was paper thin. With TS we had Marcus as the best character IMO and he beats out CGI robots ftw. I note the irony. GI JOE is a cartoony action flick, TS had a completely different feel and was a bit more complex. There's a bit of time paradox, a bit of existential angst, and legitimate ambiguity regarding Marcus. GI JOE had good guys vs. bad guys that wanted to control the world and ambiguity added to a character that felt superficial when there was none needed. I think TS is more interesting in this respect. In order I'd put TS first, GI JOE second and ROTF third.

"I don't want to know what goes on in the Joker's head. I have to know. But when I imagine how it must feel to be him, I think of a snake with a broken back, flipping and tracing intricate, agonized arabesques in the dust."
-Batman, RIP #678
laudanum09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #28
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

OT: Quick question to those of you that have seen the film. Who is the Baroness kissing here?

Van Petrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #29
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

^ Not me, unfortunately.

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #30
Nivek
Banned User

Did Snake Eyes open his mouth on his mask? Is the "Vow of Silence" thing true?

Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:42 PM   #31
FCEEVIPER
Rubber bullets. Honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Cassidy View Post
^ Not me, unfortunately.

Thank you Nolan, Goyer & Jonathan
The Dark Knight Saga
2005 - 2008 - 2012

Last edited by FCEEVIPER; 08-05-2009 at 09:45 PM.
FCEEVIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #32
Mauser9910
Side-Kick

"De Cobray" lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Did Snake Eyes open his mouth on his mask? Is the "Vow of Silence" thing true?
Not a word !

Last edited by Morg; 08-07-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Mauser9910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:48 AM   #33
Dr. Teols
M.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robdixxo View Post
Wait, I read during the sex scene with Scarlett he moans a lot. Is that true?
lulz!

Dr. Teols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:25 AM   #34
PyroChamber
W.B.B.S.

Does anyone yell out "Yo Joe!" in the movie?

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
PyroChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:32 AM   #35
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Just watched the movie. First of all, I must say that the movie turned out better than I had feared. Also to note, the leaked script that came out about a year ago was pretty accurate with only minor differences. Now, as for the movie:
  • I thought Wayans did a good job as the comic relief. His goofs were well timed (even if the jokes were old) and it was not to the point of being annoying/a hindrance to the team. More importantly, Ripcord turned out to be pretty competent in the end by essentially saving the day almost single-handedly. This, to me, is the most important aspect of a comic relief character as it shows he's not just there to get into trouble.

• Channing Tatum was also pretty good as Duke. Sure, he sounded like a 'young punk' half the time but this suited the movieverse Duke who was, as Heavy Duty put it, somewhat of a cowboy. Moreover, his chemistry with Ripcord and pre-scarred Rex were also quite believable. However, his interactions with the Baroness wasn't.

• To my surprise, it turns out Ray Park's performance as Snake Eyes turned out to be a little 'meh'. I blame this chiefly on the editing as the shots were badly cut. Moreover, the final fight scene was shot too up-close and in too cramped a setting. A little more room would have worked better for a final face-off between him and Storm Shadow.

• As others have commented, the Paris scenes were easily the highlight of the movie. The personalities of the characters there were spot on, timing was good and the action intense. Also, I liked how the somewhat subverted how movie swords can cut through everything by having Snake Eyes first shoot a spot on the jeep's roof before being able to stab through.

Lastly, for those who have watched it, I have a few questions that I would like to find out:
  1. Who was Brendan Fraser supposed to be in his cameo? I think they mentioned a name but I didn't quite catch it.
  2. Was it just me or was it an Asian woman who was testing the stealth suit when they first showed the Pit? Is that supposed to be Jinx?

mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:39 AM   #36
CelticPredator
Banned User

I love the music. It is fantastic IMO. Sure, at first listen it was kinda eh...but as I listened to it more and more, I loved it. Silvestri rules IMO. He's the only one who actually does themes...and ****ing USES them. I dont like scores too much when they dont have, or dont use a main theme when something heroic happens.

CelticPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:34 AM   #37
MiniBond
Nobody does it better....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroChamber View Post
Does anyone yell out "Yo Joe!" in the movie?
at some point at the end yeah, I wonder if that's Ripcord !

Old 08-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #38
Inferno
Side-Kick

Its heavy duty in the sub yelling it.

I enjoyed it, was a fun movie.

A few thoughts

*Snake eyes mouth didnt worry me as much as i thought it would. He was pretty cool. The fights with him and Storm Shadow are a highlight.

*Hawk was easily the worst, bad acting by dennis here, but not so bad that i wanted to get up and walk out.

*The Destro mask isnt as bad as what i have been hearing. It actually works ok, much better than other villain masks (Dr Doom) ive seen over the years.

*The gadgets, vehicles and different vipers are all very cool and worth the admission price alone.

All in all I thought it was a good way to start up a franchise, i did get excited when i saw the cobra symble at the end. Im looking forward to see where they head with this. It should make a ton of money.

Just to clarify I grew up with the old Joes VS cobra line, but i understand that this is a complete reboot, kinda like the 80's reboot from the giant dolls of the 60's.

Anyway just a quick one as its late back here in Oz

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #39
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robdixxo View Post
Baron LeCobrah
Cobra???...But aren't they supposedly brother and sister?

Old 08-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #40
CelticPredator
Banned User

No, thats Rex aka The Doctor. Baroness married the Baron, and became The Baroness.

CelticPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #41
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticPredator View Post
No, thats Rex aka The Doctor. Baroness married the Baron, and became The Baroness.
Ah, I see. Thanks dude!

Old 08-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #42
GhostPoet
Side-Kick

I'd say this is the summer action flick i've been waiting for.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #43
Mauser9910
Side-Kick

It's "De Cobray" dammit ! It's written on a building !

Old 08-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #44
batboy99
BTVS

So, one question, how was Scarlett?

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
batboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #45
The Guard
Side-Kick

I've had better.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #46
Doc_OCK_4MUGEN
I love 6" not 3 3/4" toys

GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra... there might be spoilers (That almost everyone knows already) and I'll try to cover them up so be careful when you read...
Where to start. This movie sucks as much as Dragon Ball: Evolution!!! It makes Transformers ROTF look like a Masterpiece IF you watch the movie in Full Joe fanboy mode... I was lucky to distance myself from the Joe fanboy when I saw this movie...
-Ripcord is basically Marlon Wayans playing Marlon Wayans... not good... Though he DID have some good lines...
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Realistic hair, Kung fu grip!! (That line actually made me and a couple of OLDER GI Joe fans laugh... the Pre-Real American Hero Joe fans.)

-Duke... Oh my God... A cardboard cut-out oozes more acting ability than this guy. Also the Duke/Baroness love story was kinda bleh... (Why does the main character need a love story?)
-No Shipwreck... I would've preffered that they'd given us a beardedJohn Leguizamo as Shipwreck instead of Marlon Wayans as Ripcord.
-Killing off characters... The comics did it, the movie does it...
They killed Cover Girl and Storm Shadow... I can understand Cover Girl dying... (sorry CG fans...) but STORM SHADOW!? Now who's gonna fight Snake Eyes?

-The Commander... This guy felt actually threatening, dare I say it less "fruity" than the popular cartoon Cobra Commander...
I was hoping for a COOOOOOBRRRRRAAAAA!!!! or a RETREAT!!! RETREAT!!! but since the Cobra hasn't risen yet, maybe for the inevitable sequel.Having the CC be Duke's soon to be brother-in-law was kinda meh...

-Destro... I liked this Destro
even if he didn't have the mask most of the movie...

-Costume designers for this movie did a so-so job... They were awesome on Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow...
I'd just see a whole movie of Kid Snake Eyes and Kid Storm Shadow fighting.
Scarlet and Baroness were sexy (Their fight scene was very good.) they dropped the ball with the love child of Jason Voorhees ands Freddy Kruegger.
-Accelerator Sigma... I mean Delta Six... Cool Michael Bay-esque scene with the suit, but the suits seemd just an excuse t have that sequence.
-For being the "best of the best" these Joes were a bit of bumbling buffoons...
The Pit, the highest security facility for the joes and joes-in-training Full of people was suddenly deserted when a small "Snake egg that hasn't hatched into a COBRA" unit attacked. What little soldiers were around where cannon fodder

It was better than I expected. I laughed. I had some HOLY $#!@ moments. I rolled my eyes during some moments. I dislike the fact that this is more for the Joe-ignorant average viewer with a few little bones thrown in for Joe fans, but at east there were no giant robot testicles, robots humping megan fox, or shia lebouf... (But Shia would've been better than cardboard duke...)

Old 08-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #47
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_OCK_4MUGEN View Post
-Killing off characters... The comics did it, the movie does it...
They killed Cover Girl and Storm Shadow... I can understand Cover Girl dying... (sorry CG fans...) but STORM SHADOW!? Now who's gonna fight Snake Eyes?
As I speculated in the Sequel Predictions thread I recently started:

I have a feeling this won't be the last we see of Storm Shadow. We didn't see him lying dead with vacant eyes but him simply 'fall to his death' into the sea which is basically movie-code for 'not dead yet'.

Quote:
-Costume designers for this movie did a so-so job... They were awesome on Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow...
I'd just see a whole movie of Kid Snake Eyes and Kid Storm Shadow fighting.
Scarlet and Baroness were sexy (Their fight scene was very good.) they dropped the ball with the love child of Jason Voorhees ands Freddy Kruegger.
I liked Storm Shadow's costumes as well; very Asian-inspired in terms of 'action movie' fashion. I remember a lot of people complained/didn't like the design but I feel it worked well for the movie.

Quote:
-For being the "best of the best" these Joes were a bit of bumbling buffoons...
The Pit, the highest security facility for the joes and joes-in-training Full of people was suddenly deserted when a small "Snake egg that hasn't hatched into a COBRA" unit attacked. What little soldiers were around where cannon fodder
Well, to be fair, they were up against three major, named characters who would thus have full-on character shields to protect them. Plus, it was a sneak attack from an unexpected entry point. Needless to say, they were caught off guard.

Quote:
It was better than I expected. I laughed. I had some HOLY $#!@ moments. I rolled my eyes during some moments. I dislike the fact that this is more for the Joe-ignorant average viewer with a few little bones thrown in for Joe fans, but at east there were no giant robot testicles, robots humping megan fox, or shia lebouf... (But Shia would've been better than cardboard duke...)
Thing is, there are many different canons out there, from the comics to the two animated series and so on. Many of them contradict one another. Granted, the movie didn't really base itself off any of these established canons, the fact that there are so many different interpretations of the franchise, I don't see why the movie shouldn't be allowed to create its own especially since this is a new medium never once ventured before.

Last edited by mr. peasant; 08-06-2009 at 09:54 PM.
mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #48
co2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
Lastly, for those who have watched it, I have a few questions that I would like to find out:
  1. Who was Brendan Fraser supposed to be in his cameo? I think they mentioned a name but I didn't quite catch it.
Frasier makes a cameo huh? I remember seeing an interview with him at last year's comic-con, and he was talking about being Gung-Ho.

Pretty funny interview. Check it out.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

co2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #49
Mauser9910
Side-Kick

I don't remember Fraser's character being named in the film, basically he's Clancy Brown in Starship Troopers : an instructor watching the new Joes having their ass kicked by Snake Eyes in training.

Scarlett was breathtaking, it set the bar pretty high for ScarJo's Black Widow. Her video-crossbow was pretty cool.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:22 AM   #50
xwolverine2
Arkham Assassin

GI JOE= WORST movie of the year!..omg it was terrrrrrribleee!!!.. so bad half the audience was laughing at it.. me the loudest lol jesus...
i shouldve walked out

i was expecting bad.. maybe a little worse than transformers... but holy crap..

i need a shower after that ****.

i like snake eyes... only cause its ray park lol

my favorite line in the movie:

Bad guy: "you and what army.."
GI Joe: "this one..."
*giant submarine appears behind him*

Last edited by Morg; 08-07-2009 at 06:05 PM.
xwolverine2 is offline   Reply With Quote