The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: What will the Joes make overall worldwide?
0-50 million 2 7.41%
50-100 million 5 18.52%
100-200 million 10 37.04%
200+ million 10 37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #26
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Default Re: The G.I. Joe Box Office Prediction Thread

Probably because of the innacuracies of the source material which these days the complaints are really getting more childish.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #27
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Estimates predict the movie did about $2 million for the midnight showings. Not that the midnight showings were made out to be a big deal though.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:21 AM   #28
Darthkush
Avenger

FINALLY, A FILM FOR FLYOVER COUNTRY: 'G.I. Joe' Doesn't Tank! Opens To $22M Today For Possible $55M Domestic And $35M Foreign Weekend; 'Julie & Julia' Counter-Programs Successfully For $20M Wkd

FRIDAY PM UPDATE: With a big pricetag of $175 million, and bad buzz preceding it, G.I. Joe seemed certain to tank. All that time, Paramount's claims that the movie worked fell on deaf ears. Not until the pic came on tracking with incredibly high awareness among males. Now, despite all the sniping and snarking, it looks to open for a $55M North American weekend after earning $22M today from a huge release into 4,007 theaters. That would be a great result if the film weren't so expensive. But added to box office grosses will be other revenue streams. "This property will sell 100's of millions of dollars of toys that we get a royalty in," a Paramount exec reminds me. "And given the action, this will be a huge seller on DVD." G.I. Joe also opened day and date in 75% of its foreign territories. Although I've heard reports from rival studios that ticket sales were "disappointing" in Australia (where the pic opened #2 to the Sony romantic comedy Ugly Truth), early numbers from Asia are said to be "huge". One projection for overseas grosses this weekend is $35M -- despite what is sure to be some Anti-American military sentiment in, say, parts of Europe. (C'mon, this movie is called G.I. Joe!) But in the U.S., the studio expects the film to do best in so-called flyover country -- with blue-collar moviegoers in the Midwest, South, and West where the common complaint is that liberal elite Hollywood doesn't make movies for their "God, guns, and country" tastes. Indeed, this pic's strength is that it doesn't suffer from any moral ambiguity: there are good guys, bad guys, and nothing inbetween. "With this domestic opening, and the early international results, the film should be on its way to $300 million worldwide," a Paramount exec predicted to me tonight.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/

hmmm...good but not amazing. I just hope it can hold a little bit next weekend. For those who liked it, it has to at least do okay during it's second weekend if we want a sequel.

Darthkush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #29
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Why is it a film for flyover country? Because it has to do with the military?

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #30
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

This will be big oversees. Especially in Asia. You know how they like the special effects extravaganzas. They'll eat it up.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #31
deathshead2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Why is it a film for flyover country? Because it has to do with the military?
No. The studios think they can't sell this movie to those in big citys or the North(There seen as more intelligent), while those out west are still seen as slow farmers who will get the picture of what there selling.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #32
Nivek
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathshead2 View Post
No. The studios think they can't sell this movie to those in big citys or the North(There seen as more intelligent), while those out west are still seen as slow farmers who will get the picture of what there selling.
Good way to put it.

Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #33
Timstuff
Banned User

The movie is a positive portrayal of the armed forces, which is a stark contrast to all of the recent Iraq war dramas which negatively depict the miliatary (and subsequently flopped at the box office). In this day and age of economical on geopolitical strife, I think people want a movie that makes them feel good, which is why GI Joe can be a hit while a movie like Jarhead flops. It's a fun, straightforward good vs. evil story, which is something most people can easily identify with and enjoy.

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #34
deathshead2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstuff View Post
The movie is a positive portrayal of the armed forces, which is a stark contrast to all of the recent Iraq war dramas which negatively depict the miliatary (and subsequently flopped at the box office). In this day and age of economical on geopolitical strife, I think people want a movie that makes them feel good, which is why GI Joe can be a hit while a movie like Jarhead flops. It's a fun, straightforward good vs. evil story, which is something most people can easily identify with and enjoy.
Wreaking Paris isn't that positive... wait what am I thinking this is America, we make fun of the French. If this was any other city the armed forces would be seen as a bunch of idiots. Paris, is o.k though.

Last edited by deathshead2; 08-08-2009 at 11:59 AM.
deathshead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #35
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

I really hope this movie does well for one primary reason; its success, along with Transformers', will likely get a He-Man movie the greenlight faster.

rogue trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #36
Nivek
Banned User

Quote:
Wreaking Paris isn't that positive... wait what am I thinking this is America, we make fun of the French.
I'm hearing a bunch of people who have seen it referring to this as a live action Team America movie. Given the clips and comments around the net, I really think this has more weight to it than some positive posters would like to admit. Someone even mentioned red, white, and blue camouflage clothing (not sure if that's true).

Old 08-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #37
The Guard
Side-Kick

TEAM AMERICA was an obvious ripoff of GI JOE/THUNDERBIRDS concepts. There are similar elements for sure. But this isn't as ridiculously patriotic as the movies TEAM AMERICA parodied, nor was it quite as melodramatic.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #38
deathshead2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue trooper View Post
I really hope this movie does well for one primary reason; its success, along with Transformers', will likely get a He-Man movie the greenlight faster.
well they've been working on that awhile. I think that Kung Fu Panda guy is still on as director.

I'm also hoeping this does well. Now I haven't see it(8:30 tonight I will), but I'm a huge joe fan. I don't like the cartoon and never owned one of the toys, but I do own a complete run of the Devil Due comic and I'm up to 30 on Marvels with an origianl copy of issue 21. If this does well, I'm hopeing like you to see Masters moved quicker, Voltron, and Thundercats.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #39
Nivek
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
TEAM AMERICA was an obvious ripoff of GI JOE/THUNDERBIRDS concepts. There are similar elements for sure. But this isn't as ridiculously patriotic as the movies TEAM AMERICA parodied, nor was it quite as melodramatic.

But they apparently trash Paris destroying landmarks, property, and kill bunches of people chasing Cobra (blowing up the Eiffel Tower even), right? That was an actual plot point, right? I also heard Hawk end up in a Wheelchair too (just like Spotswoode), isn't that right?

The more I read in reviews, the more it confirms my suspicions of being correct.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #40
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Quote:
well they've been working on that awhile. I think that Kung Fu Panda guy is still on as director.

I'm also hoeping this does well. Now I haven't see it(8:30 tonight I will), but I'm a huge joe fan. I don't like the cartoon and never owned one of the toys, but I do own a complete run of the Devil Due comic and I'm up to 30 on Marvels with an origianl copy of issue 21. If this does well, I'm hopeing like you to see Masters moved quicker, Voltron, and Thundercats.
Yep, forgot to add Thundercats. This one and He-Man would be my two favorites, being a huge fan of the blend of sci-fi and sword & sorcery.

rogue trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #41
deathshead2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
But they apparently trash Paris destroying landmarks, property, and kill bunches of people chasing Cobra (blowing up the Eiffel Tower even), right? That was an actual plot point, right? I also heard Hawk end up in a Wheelchair too (just like Spotswoode), isn't that right?

The more I read in reviews, the more it confirms my suspicions of being correct.
Hey thats in the comics.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #42
Nivek
Banned User

Hawk was never in a wheelchair in the old Marvel comics, is that in the newer IDW rehash books?

Old 08-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #43
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Basically most of the stuff Team America did was snatched from G.I. Joe. Anything G.I. Joe does is stuff they originally did.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #44
deathshead2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Hawk was never in a wheelchair in the old Marvel comics, is that in the newer IDW rehash books?
In the Devils Due run which talks place a few years after Marvels.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #45
Nivek
Banned User

Team America was riffing on Thunderbirds, not G.I. Joe.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #46
Timstuff
Banned User

It was riffing on Thunderbirds and GI Joe.

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #47
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Looks like GI Joe is going to perform exactly as I predicted as far as opening weekend goes.

Next up legs inbetween Van Helsings and Fantastic Four. I expect a drop today of over 10%.

So far the numbers haven't been remotely surprising one way or the other. The opening isn't bad at all but it's far from amazing.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #48
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:

Your suspicious of what? A few basic similarities to TEAM AMERICA, which itself, is a broad parody OF things like THUNDERBIRD, GI JOE, and big action movies in general?

They trash SOME of Paris. And by they, I mean COBRA, not the Joes. It's a much different scenario.

In TEAM AMERICA, the heroes are indiscriminately blasting at everything that moves, and they manage to destroy several key landmarks by being careless and stupid.

In GI JOE, the terrorists destroy the Eiffel Tower, because they're pretty damn capable, and because that was their plan from the start.

Hawk ends up in a wheelchair because he had just recovered from an attack by Storm Shadow, and because that's a nod to the comics.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...IJoe34Hawk.jpg

When the Joe team managed to capture one of Cobra's high ranking officers, Destro, Destro offered to help them capture Cobra Commander in exchange for his freedom. A plan was put into effect, and Cobra attacked to rescue Destro. During the action, Hawk was shot in the waist by Cobra Commander, who was in turn shot by the Baroness and captured. Hawk lapsed into a coma in which he had a dream where he was finally retiring and settling down with his wife, who in reality was long dead. He then visited Cobra Commander in prison and the two argued before Cobra Commander moved from the shadows to reveal Hawk's face. When Hawk woke up he learned that he the bullet that hit him was lodged within his spine and it has left him paralyzed below the waist.

So yes, there are a few similarities, but they're not ripping off "Team America" if that's what you're implying.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 08-08-2009 at 05:22 PM.
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #49
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Nivek's opinion doesn't have any relevance until he has seen the movie.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #50
He-Man
Side-Kick

$56Mil Domestic. $100Mil World Wide.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...GiU3wD99VF42G0

LOS ANGELES G.I. Joe is the latest toy to invade Hollywood and plant its blockbuster flag.

Inspired by the Hasbro action figure, "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" took command of the weekend box office with a $56.2 million debut domestically. Worldwide, "G.I. Joe" has marched to $100 million.

"G.I. Joe" follows the "Transformers" franchise as the latest toy story to find success on the big screen.

Meryl Streep's Julia Childs tale "Julie & Julia" opened a solid No. 2 as an alternative for adult crowds with $20.1 million.

While "G.I. Joe" was the first choice for young males, women 35 and older were the main audience for "Julie & Julia."

Last edited by He-Man; 08-09-2009 at 12:09 PM.
He-Man is offline   Reply With Quote