The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > G.I. Joe > G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

View Poll Results: What will the Joes make overall worldwide?
0-50 million 2 7.41%
50-100 million 5 18.52%
100-200 million 10 37.04%
200+ million 10 37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #51
He-Man
Side-Kick

Default Re: The G.I. Joe Box Office Prediction Thread

Double

Last edited by He-Man; 08-09-2009 at 11:17 AM.
He-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #52
He-Man
Side-Kick

$56Mil Domestic. $100Mil World Wide.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...GiU3wD99VF42G0

LOS ANGELES G.I. Joe is the latest toy to invade Hollywood and plant its blockbuster flag.

Inspired by the Hasbro action figure, "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" took command of the weekend box office with a $56.2 million debut domestically. Worldwide, "G.I. Joe" has marched to $100 million.

"G.I. Joe" follows the "Transformers" franchise as the latest toy story to find success on the big screen.

Meryl Streep's Julia Childs tale "Julie & Julia" opened a solid No. 2 as an alternative for adult crowds with $20.1 million.

While "G.I. Joe" was the first choice for young males, women 35 and older were the main audience for "Julie & Julia."

Old 08-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #53
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Well, not too shabby for a first property effort. They'll go ahead with the sequel now.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #54
BlackLantern
Banned User

my sister, whos an assistant manager a Regal Cinemas had 2 sold out showings yesterday...and 1 today so far

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #55
Nightmare
"Kill Them All"

56 million!

"After they killed me, I became something much, much worse. The stuff nightmares are made of. The children still feared me, and their fear gave me the power to invade their dreams, and that's when the fun REALLY began"
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:31 PM   #56
Timstuff
Banned User

Nice. Looks like a sequel is all but confirmed now, since the movie is well on its way to bringing in profit.

It would have been nice if it could have beat Borne Ultimatum's 69 million record, but hey, this is a new film franchise while BU was a threequel, thus positioning it for a much bigger opening. With the third largest August opening on record though, GI Joe has at least earned its opening weekend stripes!

I'm hopeful that with the sequel, they'll give it a 4th of July weekend release date since it'll likely be tracking a much bigger opening (as sequels usually do). Since Michael Bay's next Transformers movie is likely at least 3 years away (he's said that he's taking a break to do a small personal project first), GI Joe will probably be carrying the torch for Paramount and Hasbro a year before TF3's release, thus giving it top priority rather than secondary.

Last edited by Timstuff; 08-09-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #57
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Good opening but it's frontloaded as all get out. The problem is the movie cost 175+mil to make and it's obviously looking at average at best legs. Still the movie is going to make more money than most thought at the start of this year so I could see a sequel thats going to fail coming down the pipe. Although Van Helsing made some change too and it didn't get a sequel.

I believe that sat to sun drop is going to be bigger than 17.7% so that 56.2mil is probably not going to happen.

Again good opening but the saturday drop is terrible and the movie is looking at lame legs unless the movie unknowningly really clicked with audiences. The studio can be proud that they tricked probably 300mil worldwide worth of people to see the film but it's far from a Transformers situation.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 08-09-2009 at 02:14 PM.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #58
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

I don't know what it was projected to make. 56 is a good opening number, but I don't think it's going to remaketh 176 mill production budget domestically.

I just hope Paramount is patient and allows for a sequel. So long as there isn't a disasterous 2nd weekend, I think they should do a sequel, but they have to bring the production budget in line for the next one.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #59
Dr. Evil
Gamora

It will probably do well in week two, unless the buzz for District Nine is great. It will be interesting to see if this film has legs in two weeks when those Inglorious Basterds invade the theaters.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #60
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

It's not gonna last long. It comes down to word of the mouth too. The kids will eat it up, maybe wanting to see them again.

Even if this film doesn't do all that well, there's still the merchandise, which no doubt has sprung up because of the film. A sequel will produce more and people will keep buying.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #61
Nightmare
"Kill Them All"

More Money! More Money!

Toys R Us has a special on figures, 2 for $10.

"After they killed me, I became something much, much worse. The stuff nightmares are made of. The children still feared me, and their fear gave me the power to invade their dreams, and that's when the fun REALLY began"
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #62
terry78

District 9 may do well, but we'll see if it turns into another Watchmen situation, because people are going in thinking we're the good guys kicking alien ass, when that is nowhere near the case. And if it gets preachy, watch out.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #63
BlackLantern
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
District 9 may do well, but we'll see if it turns into another Watchmen situation, because people are going in thinking we're the good guys kicking alien ass, when that is nowhere near the case. And if it gets preachy, watch out.
people aren't looking for that in the movies these days

Old 08-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #64
terry78

It's obvious that it's an allegory on civil rights/apartheid, but I doubt too many will get the message.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #65
Timstuff
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
More Money! More Money!

Toys R Us has a special on figures, 2 for $10.
When does the offer end? I may find myself having to go there this coming week...

Anyway, I think D9 will make money, but mostly because it's got a very small budget (supposedly $30m). It seems like more of a niche film though, because first of all it's R-rated, and secondly because it's going to be a lot lighter on action and effects, and a lot heavier on message. I think people who see it will like it, but I don't imagine the WOM with the general audience well get as far as with GI Joe since a lot of people might say it was boring or preachy. I don't really see it stealing away a lot of GI Joe's audience, but we'll see.

Last edited by Timstuff; 08-09-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #66
Nivek
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Well, not too shabby for a first property effort. They'll go ahead with the sequel now.
It made about what Hulk made it's opening weekend, right?

Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #67
Dark Victory
Ogdred Weary

Solid opening, but the fim will need legs to warrant a sequel. This will need good WOM, like Star Trek, if it's really going to bring in serious dinero. At my showing, the response was pretty negative so I don't really see that happening. Next week, we have District 9 which has been getting nothing but good reviews so far, but I don't really know if the GA wants to see it. Then on the 21st we have Inglorious Basterds which will definitely bring in some numbers. I think by the end of its run, the film will bring in around $100-110 million domestically. The real question is how the hell did this cost $170 million!?!

Dark Victory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #68
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Sort of a weak opening weekend for a movie like this. Comparable to Sommer's last movie Van Helsing which was released *FIVE* years ago. So its not as impressive today.

Van Helsing made $300 million worldwide, never got a sequel. This movie probably won't be #1 next week.

ITS NOT getting word of mouth like Star Trek. It had significant dropoffs on Saturday and Sunday. Star Trek, that didn't happen. A sign of good word of mouth is going up on a Saturday with a decent sized dropoff on Sunday. Didn't happen here.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #69
bullets
bang bang

Kids will want to go bakc and see this. The rest of us should be watching District 9 next week.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #70
terry78

I know some parents will probably take their brats to D9 totally disregarding the rating. Then they'll trade in tix for Joe again.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #71
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

This isn't Transformers 2.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:47 AM   #72
Timstuff
Banned User

And niether is District 9.

I think District 9 will make money due to its low budget, but it's not going to reach a terribly big audience. The commercials make it look like an action sci-fi movie, but it's really more of a faux-documentary with an action scene or two thrown in. I've seen the original short version and it's very good, but I think a lot of people are going to complain that it's slow and / or preachy, so don't expect it to get great WOM post-release amongst average viewers. It's going to be a good movie, but it's also going to be a niche movie. At best, I see it being another Cloverfield in terms of reception, which would be admirable but I think GI Joe has a decent shot at retaining its #1 spot next week if Paramount keeps on pushing the adverts. Also, District 9 is rated R, while both GI Joe and Cloverfield (the closest movie I can probably compare D9 to) are PG-13. It could go either way IMO, but if D9 does beat GI Joe, it will be because of a big droppoff of GI Joe's part, not because D9 is a movie that everyone is flocking to see instead.

The entertainment journalists are all calling GI Joe's opening a success, so take that as you may. I think the movie should have pretty good legs until most kids and college students go back to school. GI Joe is the kind of movie kids are going to watch a whole bunch of times, and most parents stick to kid-friendly fare at the movies rather than taking them to R-rated movies (going by box office #'s, at least).

Lastly, GI Joe's box office revenue is supplimented by merchandising, which is HUGE for this movie. I know some people are going to bring up how Superman Returns had merchandise and isn't getting a sequel, but comparing the merchandise for SR to GI Joe is like comparing a lemonade stand to a Starbucks. SR's merchandise wasn't terribly popular. Pretty much everything ended up on clearance within a month or two of the DVD release because kids weren't buying, whereas GI Joe has always sold well, and with the backing of a movie its popularity is getting a huge boost. Paramount gets a cut of the toy revenues, so even if the movie takes a slight loss after the final tally, if they make a profit through the merchandise they're not going to care as much.

So again, the big question is what kind of legs the movie will have. Is it going to see a huge dropoff the second week and end up grossing only 35 million or less, or could it pull another Star Trek and manage to nearly match its opening gross in the second week? It wouldn't be unheard of since GI Joe's opening gross was smaller than ST's, and given that it's recieiving positive WOM from the GA it will be getting new viewers this week in addition to the returning viewers. If it does manage to make 45-53 million in its second week, we can pretty well say it's well on its way to making profit, but even if not, as I said earlier the merchandising revenue alone will likely be enough to get Paramount to green light a sequel. Also, maybe they'll try for an early July release next time, since it likely won't be releasing the same year as Transformers 3.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:17 AM   #73
Heretic
Side-Kick

I did not want to contribute to the box office, so I bought tickets to The Hangover and walked into the GI Joe theater...then decided to go see The Hangover instead.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:55 AM   #74
BlackLantern
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
I did not want to contribute to the box office, so I bought tickets to The Hangover and walked into the GI Joe theater...then decided to go see The Hangover instead.
you, sir, are a paragon of virtue and standards

Old 08-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #75
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

D9 may make less than $20 mil. Basterds will make a little more than $20 mil.

Or more from each. People are expecting action films from these two when in fact they aren't and the audiences probably won't get those two movies. So the drop off could decrease, leaving Joe (which probably will make less next week) could maybe finish the summer off with over $100 million. Could of been made for a lower budget. A new property unless you are confident in it shouldn't be made for more than $150 million.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote