The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > G.I. Joe > G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

Old 09-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #26
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Default Re: Storm Shadow/Snake Eyes Origin

I'd like to see how he was recruited to the Joes, and two, why he wears a mask in the sequel via a flashback.

I like the fact that he has chosen not to speak due to his masters death, rather than being unable to speak. That takes alot of discipline right there, and further demonstrates what a disciplined badass he is.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #27
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

edit: DP

Old 09-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #28
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I don't see what's so disciplined about just not talking. That doesn't take much discipline. Snake Eyes was never a big talker either.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #29
The Guard
Side-Kick

You're kidding, right?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:19 AM   #30
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Yeah, it would be a bit hard to never talk, ever, I think it would take a lot of discipline, especially during fights.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #31
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

yeah, people don't go spouting one liners and talk endlessly during fights like in comic books and shout out their attacks like in manga.

No I'm not kidding. There was no vow of silence ******** ever with the Snake Eyes character until this movie came along.

- CM Punk
Old 09-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #32
The Guard
Side-Kick

I see. I assume you're referring to Snake Eyes never being a big talker.

And your other statement, about how it doesn't take much discipline not to speak?

And if I'm right
Old 09-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #33
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
yeah, people don't go spouting one liners and talk endlessly during fights like in comic books and shout out their attacks like in manga.
I agree people neither spout one liners nor shout out special attacks in real fights. However, people do curse, grunt, shout or (when hit) yelp. A vow of silence would disallow doing any of these instinctive responses. So, it would take lots of discipline to keep one in a fight.

mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #34
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I see. I assume you're referring to Snake Eyes never being a big talker.

And your other statement, about how it doesn't take much discipline not to speak?
Its called keeping one's mouth shut. There was never a vow of silence with Snake Eyes before. He was just naturally a quiet, aloof person of few words that had his voice taken away from him.

Quote:
I agree people neither spout one liners nor shout out special attacks in real fights. However, people do curse, grunt, shout or (when hit) yelp. A vow of silence would disallow doing any of these instinctive responses. So, it would take lots of discipline to keep one in a fight.
Since I watch fights a lot, I really don't see what you are talking about at all.

- CM Punk
Old 09-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #35
Mr. Earle
Banned User

So he took that oath after his master was killed right? So since he killed his killer, does that mean that he can speak?

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #36
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Since I watch fights a lot, I really don't see what you are talking about at all.
So, you mean to say that if someone busts your nose or knocks the wind out of you, you wouldn't make a peep? Moreover, lots of martial arts emphasize breathing techniques when delivering strikes. Depending on the strictness of this vow of silence, the sounds these techniques make may or may not be allowed. As I've participated in martial arts tournaments and been on both sides of a hit, I speak from experience.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #37
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Breathing is not the same thing as talking mr. peasant.

- CM Punk
Old 09-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #38
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Breathing is not the same thing as talking mr. peasant.
Thing is with regards to Snake Eyes' vow of silence, it seems to include any and all forms of vocal sound based on the movie (he was completely silent at all times). Moreover, refraining from vocalizing pain does indeed take great discipline. Try stabbing yourself and see if you can suffer through it in silence.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #39
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
Thing is with regards to Snake Eyes' vow of silence, it seems to include any and all forms of vocal sound based on the movie (he was completely silent at all times). Moreover, refraining from vocalizing pain does indeed take great discipline. Try stabbing yourself and see if you can suffer through it in silence.
So he must have figured out a way to still live without breathing?

Geezus christ.

- CM Punk
Old 09-26-2009, 03:25 AM   #40
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
So he must have figured out a way to still live without breathing?

Geezus christ.
Normal, nasal (and even oral) breathing is different from the sharp exhalation techniques some martial arts teach to 'maximize power' or from tachypnoeic breathing/hyperventilation; never mind the grunts and groans that are likely to come out of your mouth when stabbed or even when knocked the wind out of. Or in other words, there are more than just one type of breath sounds; of which some are relatively silent while others are more audible.

Last edited by mr. peasant; 09-26-2009 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #41
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Its called keeping one's mouth shut. There was never a vow of silence with Snake Eyes before. He was just naturally a quiet, aloof person of few words that had his voice taken away from him.
Try it. For...let's say...ten years.

Ok...go.

What Snake Eyes is in the comics has nothing to do with how hard it is to keep an actual vow of silence. You seem to be confusing the issue because you're not happy Snake Eyes didn't have his voice "taken" from him as it was in the comics.

And if I'm right
Old 09-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #42
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Just got the Best Of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow TPB's, might wait until the movie is out on BD before reading them though.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 09-29-2009, 11:00 PM   #43
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Try it. For...let's say...ten years.

Ok...go.

What Snake Eyes is in the comics has nothing to do with how hard it is to keep an actual vow of silence. You seem to be confusing the issue because you're not happy Snake Eyes didn't have his voice "taken" from him as it was in the comics.
That's because a vow of silence is stupid and a dumb martial arts stereotype.

- CM Punk
Old 10-11-2009, 05:06 AM   #44
jamesjuhn
Side-Kick

Having read through the old series and Snake Eyes De-Classified (which is one of my favourite comics), Storm Shadow is shown to be Japanese: Thomas Arashikage.

But did you guys know this? The lines that young storm shadow's child actor says is not Japanese, it's Korean (I know because I'm Korean, and realised it when seeing the movie).

I guess they were shaping the chracter to fit Byung Hun Lee's nationality (since he's Korean), but I wonder how everyone feels about this?

jamesjuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #45
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I don't really know the G.I. Joe comics. Haven't read any of them except for the Transformers crossover and the only cartoon I saw was the most recent animated movie.

I don't know how big their backstory is, but I was really disappointed to only see small kids fight in these flashbacks. The flashbacks could've spanned severel years, from when they were kids till they were teenagers. And did Storm Shadow have to be a dick from the very beginning?

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #46
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Maybe we'll get to see that in the sequel when they expand on their past a bit more, who knows? I'm sure Ray Park will want some face time at some point if the franchise continues.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #47
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I don't know if he needs face time. He doesn't land most of his jobs because of his acting chops. Well, then again, he made his vow of silence.

What annoyed me most though, is how ****ing crazy Storm Shadow was as a kid. Dude wanted to slice someone who stole food. As a kid! The hell?

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:07 AM   #48
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^I think they were just trying to say he had an evil streak from a very early age, I personally think he didnt want to slice him because of the food, but because he was fighting back and holding his own.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:39 PM   #49
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

The kid scenes were absolutely retarded anyway. It was ridiculous to me that these two kids just have this stupid as hell goofy MMA match. A kid off the streets apparently knows how to do a flying armbar, what the ****.

I knew about Storm Shadow's upbringing and his lineage. In the comics, he's actually an American born Japanese and he served in the military with Snake Eyes which is how they knew each other. They were very close like brothers.

Of course there are varying origins. The movie one was similar to Sigma 6, except the movie managed it to make it even worse and more retarded than Sigma 6 which in itself is hilarious.

- CM Punk
Old 11-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #50
deathshead2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I don't know if he needs face time. He doesn't land most of his jobs because of his acting chops. Well, then again, he made his vow of silence.
He could get face time. In very GI:Joe comic or show. If his mask isn't on you still never see his face. Its always covered cus of his scars. You'll be surprised how much a hat can cast a shadow.