The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > G.I. Joe > G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

Old 11-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #51
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Default Re: Storm Shadow/Snake Eyes Origin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
The kid scenes were absolutely retarded anyway. It was ridiculous to me that these two kids just have this stupid as hell goofy MMA match. A kid off the streets apparently knows how to do a flying armbar, what the ****.

I knew about Storm Shadow's upbringing and his lineage. In the comics, he's actually an American born Japanese and he served in the military with Snake Eyes which is how they knew each other. They were very close like brothers.

Of course there are varying origins. The movie one was similar to Sigma 6, except the movie managed it to make it even worse and more retarded than Sigma 6 which in itself is hilarious.
They simply streamlined it; simplifying things to the bare essentials. They removed the past friendship as it was unnecessary for the the plot of this movie, would have slowed the pace of the movie and is complex enough to fill its own movie. As for making Storm Shadow purely Japanese, it again cuts out on unneeded explanation and also allows for the setting of a large dojo complex, which would seem out of place in the U.S..

Lastly, I think it should be point out that the way the movie was filmed, there is ambiguity over who killed the Hard Master. If you notice, Storm Shadow is never shown doing the deed nor does he ever take credit for it. I'm almost certain this subplot will be revisited at some point in the movie.

mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #52
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I only wish they would've used teenagers instead of little brats.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #53
Timstuff
Banned User

But those kids kicked so much ass!

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:30 AM   #54
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
Lastly, I think it should be point out that the way the movie was filmed, there is ambiguity over who killed the Hard Master. If you notice, Storm Shadow is never shown doing the deed nor does he ever take credit for it. I'm almost certain this subplot will be revisited at some point in the movie.
I don't know about that. Watching it last night, during that scene when young SE runs up to their master, you can clearly see a shot of SS running away just as SE is running up the stairs. This is before we cut to the long shot of him running away as SE looks on.

Its very brief but you can definitely see SS running away in that shot the very moment SE reaches their master.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:33 AM   #55
Nathan

I think it'd be incredibly stupid to have the small kid kill his master.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #56
Timstuff
Banned User

I think Storm Shadow ran away because he knew he'd be the first person to get blamed for the Hard Master's death. Fleeing the scene and actual guilt are not the same thing.

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #57
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post
I don't know about that. Watching it last night, during that scene when young SE runs up to their master, you can clearly see a shot of SS running away just as SE is running up the stairs. This is before we cut to the long shot of him running away as SE looks on.

Its very brief but you can definitely see SS running away in that shot the very moment SE reaches their master.
There are many explanations: He could have seen the real killer and gone after him, he might be running away because he knows he'd be blamed, it might be faulty memory (i.e. it didn't play out exactly like that) or it might not even have been Storm Shadow (we don't see his face). Point is, there are many plausible reasons and the important part is that we don't actually see Storm Shadow killing or fighting against the Hard Master.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:59 AM   #58
LostSon88
Side-Kick

C'mon guys...don't you think you're reaching a lil' bit?

Quote:
He could have seen the real killer and gone after him,
Doesn't look like he was chasing anyone...he was simply running away from the scene. And if he did see the real killer, why wouldn't he return to the temple and explain what he saw? If he wasn't guilty of anything, why would he be so compelled to leave anyway?

Quote:
he might be running away because he knows he'd be blamed,
He had shown nothing but respect to his master up until he seemed to favor SE...there would be no reason to suspect why he would be blamed. And um, you know...he's a kid. He would be the last person anyone would suspect of killing the master.

Quote:
it might be faulty memory (i.e. it didn't play out exactly like that)
Possible.

Quote:
or it might not even have been Storm Shadow (we don't see his face).
C'mon now, its pretty cut and dry that its young SS running away as young SE reaches their master. You mean to tell me that some random fellow asian ninja student just happened to run away at the exact moment SS is also shown running away from the temple?

Quote:
Point is, there are many plausible reasons and the important part is that we don't actually see Storm Shadow killing or fighting against the Hard Master.
BUT...if we are to go by what is shown in the film, the reasoning would suggest that it was SS.

Quote:
I think it'd be incredibly stupid to have the small kid kill his master.
I don't think its implausable for SS to kill his master I mean its not like anyone would suspect him to murder his teacher, if anything he would be the last person anyone would suspect...he's a kid. If anything he made himself look even more guilty by running away.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:08 AM   #59
Nathan

I mean I generally dislike the idea of a kid being able to kill off his master. I think the whole kids scenario is dumb anyway. Snake Eyes being a kid from the street who's a badass martial artist, his and Storm Shadows rivalry probably not even lasting years and then Storm Shadow supposedly killing the master.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:52 AM   #60
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Doesn't look like he was chasing anyone...he was simply running away from the scene. And if he did see the real killer, why wouldn't he return to the temple and explain what he saw? If he wasn't guilty of anything, why would he be so compelled to leave anyway?
That's because Snake Eyes (and the viewers) arrive late and so may not have seen the full picture (e.g. someone could have killed the Hard Master, Storm Shadow sees him, killer runs off, Snake Eyes arrives, only sees Storm Shadow). Also, that's kind of what happened in the comics.

Quote:
He had shown nothing but respect to his master up until he seemed to favor SE...there would be no reason to suspect why he would be blamed. And um, you know...he's a kid. He would be the last person anyone would suspect of killing the master.
Because he was the only one there? Plus, his frustration at his uncle favoring Snake Eyes was rather obvious and likely known to all; thus motive.

Quote:
BUT...if we are to go by what is shown in the film, the reasoning would suggest that it was SS.
That's kind of the point of misdirection in movies; to cause viewers to draw the wrong conclusion only to reveal a twist somewhere down the line, whether the same movie or a sequel.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #61
rgantner6138
New User - Level 0

ok i just registered and it wont let me make a new thread so im doing it here!

i need a question answered please, in the movie g.i. joe i wanna buy the sweater snake eyes was wearing when he was working out. its black and has these chinese symbols goin up and down in stripes, its so cool. can some1 please tell me where to find this or buy it?

rgantner6138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #62
Blade X
Side-Kick

SS did not kill the Hard Master, Sommers said so on the DVD comentary. There was a scene cut out where SSadmitted to SE that he didn't kill the HM. He also said SS isn't dead and spoiled how he survives.

Blade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:09 AM   #63
lespaul59
Side-Kick

Off the top of my head in the comics when SS is seen leaving after they thought he killed the Hard Master he was chasing Zartan who was the person that killed the HM. I'll double check but I think aside from the boys ages in the movie the SE/SS origin is just a slightly tweeked version of the comic version.

lespaul59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #64
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

After reading the Best Of Snake Eyes TPB, I do wish the story of SE and SS would have been a little more faithful to those comics, we have no chance of seeing them fight side-by-side in a war now, or having a long friendship before they become enemies and that is a bit dissapointing.

I also dont know why they didnt keep Snake Eyes being better with a blade than Storm Shadow and SS being better with a bow, etc. There was no need to change this but for some reason they did.

I do think they can still build on their rivalry with what they have set up though, you could always have SE fighting in the gulf and SS working for the enemy as a mercenary, stuff like that, you can also build on the death of HM as well because we dont ever actually see SS putting the blade into HM's back.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #65
Miken Ayers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
I was a huge opponent of Wayans being there, but he wasn't as bothersome as I thought he was going to be
Especially since over the top loudmouths are a staple in GI Joe.

Miken Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote