The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

View Poll Results: Should they make a District 10?
No, deffinetly not 9 13.43%
Yes, that would be awesome 27 40.30%
Maybe, if it had a good story 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #51
Sentinel X
optical illusion

Default Re: District 10?

I think they should do a sequel but try to wrap it up with the second. They should just make a duology instead of a fullblown franchise. I think the film deserves a sequel no because of the open ending but because it is quite obvious that Neil didn't want the story to end there. There are plenty of films with open endings that wouldn't benifit at all from a sequel...to me district 9 isn't one of those films.

If it is a stand alone film then I wouldn't mind since I loved it anyways but if they can make a good sequel that is just as good or better than the first then why not?

.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
Sentinel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #52
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

If Neil is directing it then Yes go ahead

Old 08-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #53
nogap87
Side-Kick

Sequel all the way. Closure FTW.

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #54
Nivek
Banned User

Definitely.

Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #55
CelticPredator
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogap87 View Post
Sequel all the way. Closure FTW.
For the fail. Not everything needs to be spoon fed. Jesus.

CelticPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #56
thedeadite
Side-Kick

I'll wait until I find out exactly what any sequel would be about before making a judgment on whether or not I'm interested in it.
As of now though, I don't see the need for one, nor do I really want to see one.
Sure the movie didn't end with everything wrapped up with a perfect little bow, but we do know that Christopher and his son where headed for home and he promised to return with help to free the rest of the "prawns" and to help Wikus.
The whole human/prawn dichotomy is what made this movie so great in my opinion, I don't see how a sequel could do that again. Though, like I said before I won't discount anything until I actually know what's going on.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:34 PM   #57
CBGB
Urban Achiever

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticPredator View Post
Haha. I made a point in this thread to not use that expression. Congrats on having the balls to say it.

"The reason Hollywood is making such ****ty movies is because when they make great ones, you don't ****ing show up."
~ Guillermo del Toro on 'Scott Pilgrim vs. The World'
CBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:12 PM   #58
nogap87
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticPredator View Post
There's still a lot of ground to cover. Excuse me for not being a sequelphobe .

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #59
Grommers
Side-Kick

I could go either way, sequel or no sequel I think this movie is fine. If you have a sequel you'll be building more on the aliens, and I like the fact we dont know all that much about them. It makes the whole Chris thing seem a lot more touching.

If you build to much on the aliens I don't think we'll look at them so much as aliens, just another species. I like for once, that the aliens..well, feel like aliens. Something a lot of other movies fail to capture imo.

Grommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #60
bunk
superhero fan

Neill Blomkamp interview about "District 10"

http://www.scifimoviepage.com/upcomi...-interview.m4a

Old 08-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #61
Conebone69
The Legend Ends

Nice, blompkamp sounds really interested in making a sequel

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES 2012
Conebone69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:01 AM   #62
RKO
QT's Personal Consultant.

A sequel should be about just trying to rescue the Prawns that were left behind and getting Wikus back to normal, not attacking the humans.

Even though the humans would resist and try to stop them because they want they're technology. Christopher and the rest should refrain from attacking the humans or MNU.

The movie should be more about escapism and freedom.

Someone get this hothead out of here!
RKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:23 AM   #63
Aesop Rocks
Price of Freedom

I don't think so, I think CHRISTOPHER would refrain from attacking but the rest of the Prawns would try to attack them.

Aesop Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #64
SuperAl
Superman's back!

id love a sequel but i have a feeling it'll end up falling into a war movie between aliens and the humans, and i dont really wanna see a independence day type movie where its humans vs aliens. maybe if the aliens arrive but they use some advance tech to clock their ship and they have to figure out how to evacuate a bunch of aliens without starting a war. And of course turnign the main dude back to normal

SuperAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:41 AM   #65
RKO
QT's Personal Consultant.

Yeah there should be some altercations and battles, but it shouldn't be an all out alien invasion war type of thing.

Someone get this hothead out of here!
RKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:20 AM   #66
WarBlade
Side-Kick

Given the state of District 9 I very much doubt that a sequel would ever be so simplistic as a human versus prawn war movie.

Several potential story elements spring to mind:

1.) Wikus and Tania Van De Merwe

Some German soldiers captured by the Russians in WWII and imprisoned for a long time were thought to have been killed. Their wives found new lives, remarried etc. and in some cases these poor unfortunates released years later arrived home to find their family life completely overturned. Wikus is in a similar situation at the end of District 9. His wife is attractive, may want to start a family etc. and may find a fresh life for herself, so what happens when Wikus (the man) resurfaces or Wikus (the prawn) makes contact with her?

2.) Wikus and the District 10 prawns

In one of Neill Blomkamp's interviews he speculated on the history of the aliens and why they got stranded on this planet. A basic idea he was toying with was a hive mind society that had lost it's leadership, so the ship auto-piloted itself to the nearest life-sustaining world; Earth. Assuming Christopher was the species' natural means of rebuilding a leader (and he's gone from the picture) the prawns are back to being leaderless drones.

Or are they? If Wikus retains his human mind then he's going to be operating on a whole different level to the drones and I can imagine him taking up the role of reluctant leader among the District 10 inhabitants. With the human background and the experience of apartheid and ill-treatment of the prawns I can see him in a mad struggle to bring peace to both sides, made complicated by the exploitation from one faction and the growing resentment of the other.

3.) Christopher

How will the rest of the off world prawns react to Christopher's story? People mention alien invasion, but I think something more layered and unexpected will be far more likely. Will Christopher find itself in a position to both inspire a rescue while simultaneously struggling to avert a war? Perhaps there might be a Christopher and Wikus as comrades story where the man who became a prawn and the prawn who became like a man had to work together again, working both sides, for the good of all.

Basically, No way will a District 10 movie turn out like a basic two-sided war movie!

WarBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #67
LouFerignoDemon
CLEAN YOUR SHEETS!!!

There's really not much else it could be if Christopher comes back and decides to take his race back. Because the humans will make him do it by force. =/

Also, I'm pretty sure the wife knows Wikus is out there due to the coke can flowers.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:30 AM   #68
TheFuture
Rising

I'm not sure, I mean I'd really like to see Christopher fulfil his promise to Wikus, however can that really be stretched to two hours? As already mentioned whatever Aliens that do come to earth will be in no mood to extend the olive branch after hearing about the plight of their people. I don't really want to see the Aliens wiping out the human race.

Then again there is a thought. I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel where Wikus was quickly cured, and where the plot revolves around Wikus and Christopher pleading to their respective races not to engage in war.

TheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #69
:eek:
Side-Kick

Neil Blomkamp Talks "Halo," "District 10"

By Garth Franklin Wednesday April 10th 2013 01:42AM
"District 9" and "Elysium" director Neill Blomkamp said that if ever did a sequel to one of those two films, he would be more keen on returning to the world of "District 9" as it's "a world he built."
In many ways that's the same reason he won't tackle such films as the upcoming "Star Wars" sequels. Here's the fairly all-encompassing answer he gave this week to the question of whether he would consider adaptations or sequels:
"I don't actively sit down and say I'm going to do my own stuff and that I want everything to be original.
One of the things I learned with Halo… I actually still really like the world and universe of Halo and if I was given control, I would like to do that film.
But that's the problem. When something pre-exists there's this idea of ‘I have my interpretation of what that is' but along with it comes like 150 other people involved with the film's interpretation of the same intellectual property.
And then the entire filmgoing audience has their interpretation. And you can live up to or fail in their eyes. And that part of it isn't appealing to me. But the original pieces are appealing.
In terms of sequels to my own stuff, a lot of it just comes down to if there's more to say. And I think the world of District 9 has a lot of very interesting race and oppression-based ideas that I would still like to explore in that world.
Again, I have zero problems, I'll make my own stuff or whatever you want to call it, sequalize my own stuff.
And then there's a few pieces of cinema history that I like so much I don't know whether I could be involved with them. There's, you know, there's iconic characters that I really like that I would love to get closer to and make a film about.
When I start dipping my toes into it, I get this allergic reaction. Maybe one day I'll end up doing something like that."

:eek: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #70
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

District 10 is quite possibly my most anticipated movie ever. I honestly dont think I have enjoyed a movie in the cinema as much as I did D9, the film just wasnt what I was expecting at all and ended up being a big favourite of mine.

I cant wait for Elysium either but District 10 is the big one for me.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #71
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

http://collider.com/district-10-news...amp-star-wars/

Quote:
Embedded in an excellent profile of Blomkamp by the folks at Wired are some fascinating nuggets that The Playlist has highlighted. First and foremost, Blomkamp has made considerable progress on District 10. Whether it ever sees the light of day, though, is uncertain:
He and [wife/partner Terri] Tatchell have written an 18-page treatment for District 10—about which he’ll say little more than that the story is “really ****ing cool”—but he’s not prepared to commit to it. He’s sure he’ll come up with any number of other really ****ing cool ideas he might want to pursue first.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #72
Octoberist
point blank

Yeah, to me this is vaporware.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #73
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Come on Neill just get D10 made, dont make the mistake Paramount did with ST and wait too long to make a sequel (though at the same time, that wait never seems to hurt the Terminator or Mission:Impossible franchises). This will be my most anticipated movie ever if this goes into production.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:35 AM   #74
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I wouldn't be against a D10 and I would be excited, but if it doesn't get made the ending of D9 is also perfectly satisfying to me.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:35 AM   #75
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I'm more interested in other original films from him at the moment.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote