The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: What source material should be used?
Golden Age 8 21.05%
Weisinger version 6 15.79%
Donnerverse 5 13.16%
John Byrne Reboot 28 73.68%
Johns/Frank version 26 68.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #26
B
[insert witty comment]

Default Re: Source Material?

Elements of EVERY incarnation & not just the ones listed to create a new fresh version

B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #27
Kal-El Fan
Side-Kick

I like the crystal Fortress as well. I like the idea of crystals as "high-tec" storage devices. That's all of Krypton that needs to have any crystalline connection/feel. Also, the overall shape of the crystal Fortress is not that far off from the cliff that the Silver Age Fortress was made from, it's just missing the giant door and key, which I think is a bit ridiculous anyway.
As for other incarnations, the Byrne era Fortress was created by the Eradicator and looked like the Kryptonian buildings seen in MOS, only you never saw the outside of it, as it was completely buried under the ice. I could go with something like the Byrne version for the interior design, but I'd still like crystals incorporated into the technology.

Kal-El Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #28
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

I been saying that for awhile, taking the best elements that worked for the character throughout the eras 30s-00s, and forming them into one new character, with an all original story would be a good way to go about it.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:36 PM   #29
sithgoblin
King of the Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Kryptonite is a piece of planet Krypton right...?
Yeah Right. That's like saying that if a kid from Earth were sent to another planet, and bits of asbestos and lead traveled with him, it means they were used as building materials here on Earth?

Oh... wait...

sithgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:44 AM   #30
luca_frontino
Side-Kick

Kryptonite is a bull***** created during the old radio show to let the actor dubbing Superman to take a vacancy.
It's time to get rid of that thing since it doesn't belong to the original source material.

luca_frontino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:54 AM   #31
Octoberist
point blank

omg. it's part of the mythos, Luca.

It's like saying "Screw Sean Connery's James Bond. It's not accurate to the book!" No, I say.

Here's the thing: Sometimes certain stories transcends from one media to another, becoming united to become a much larger cultural beast. That's what Kryptonite is to me: it's a part of the mythos. Otherwise, we would be also stuck with a face changing Superman who can't fly too.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:12 AM   #32
CLARKY
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
Elements of EVERY incarnation & not just the ones listed to create a new fresh version
My thoughts too.
I like a lot of thing in different comics, I think it is OK to mix things according to one's own vision. Personally, that is how I would go. I would not create something brand new in order to work with it but I would take things here and there in the comics.

I like the crystal fortress very much and I see Krypton as an ice planet. But it does not mean everything has to be crystal nor that the kryptonian society was so lifeless than the Donner movies. I like the J.Byrne origin, with few adds and changes of course, but manily that. S.Tas too.

CLARKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:37 AM   #33
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca_frontino View Post
Kryptonite is a bull***** created during the old radio show to let the actor dubbing Superman to take a vacancy.
It's time to get rid of that thing since it doesn't belong to the original source material.
Soooooo...I'm assuming, then, that we should also get rid of Perry White, Jimmy Olsen, and the Daily Planet too, huh? Since, y'know, they were ALSO created for the old radio show...

My attitude toward kryptonite is very simple: WB needs to stop ****ing around with the stuff and put it in Corben's robotic chest already.

http://jochimus.deviantart.com

Last edited by Jochimus; 08-25-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Jochimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #34
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithgoblin View Post
Yeah Right. That's like saying that if a kid from Earth were sent to another planet, and bits of asbestos and lead traveled with him, it means they were used as building materials here on Earth?

Oh... wait...

Quote:
Same couild be said about Superman flying, etc etc.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #35
Kal-El Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm sorry, but in RoTS, wasn't Engine City powered by a giant piece of Kryptonite?
Oh yeah, it was.

Kal-El Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #36
Timstuff
Banned User

They shouldn't hold themselves to just one version. They should draw inspiration from multiple eras. The comics from the last 2 decades, the Max Fleischer cartoons, STAS-- all of them have aspects of Superman I'd love to see presented in the movie. They could even throw in a bit of Smallville and have Clark's parents in the background as moral support.

The one place I'd draw minimal influence from would be the Donnerverse, because frankly I think it's played out. I don't want a dead John Kent, a comedic scheming Lex Luthor, a snowflake ship carrying baby Kal-El, or a crystalline Krypton. Those are things that are staples of the Donnerverse, and frankly I don't care to see them carried over.

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #37
JBElliott
Side-Kick

Man of Steel and Superman for all Seasons.

JBElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:28 PM   #38
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstuff View Post
They shouldn't hold themselves to just one version. They should draw inspiration from multiple eras. The comics from the last 2 decades, the Max Fleischer cartoons, STAS-- all of them have aspects of Superman I'd love to see presented in the movie. They could even throw in a bit of Smallville and have Clark's parents in the background as moral support.

The one place I'd draw minimal influence from would be the Donnerverse, because frankly I think it's played out. I don't want a dead John Kent, a comedic scheming Lex Luthor, a snowflake ship carrying baby Kal-El, or a crystalline Krypton. Those are things that are staples of the Donnerverse, and frankly I don't care to see them carried over.
That is what i been saying for awhile and hopefully they would do this next time around.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 08-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #39
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Kryptonite was first used by the radio show but it was invented by Jerry Siegel,

http://superman.nu/k-metal/about-k-metal.php

"The K-Metal From Krypton"

I am so disappointed that this wasn't published in 1940. It would've saved us from the whole Lois charade

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:56 PM   #40
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

Superman: The Animated Series
Superman: Birthright
Superman For All Seasons

Throw these down in front of a not just any writer, but a writer who has done great work in the fantasy/sci-fi-esque genres, and tell him to craft a script.

And work in some Golden Age Superman. I've said this before, but a fusion of post-crisis/TAS/Birthright Clark Kent and Golden Age Superman would tickle my fanboy pickle. I have gained a great deal of love for Golden Age Supes over the last few years. I just don't want any Silver Age/Donnerverse elements outside of perhaps having Superman save a cat from a tree, and even thats pushing it.

LOST- 2004-2010: "The most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people. "

Best comic film of all time. The Dark Knight Rises!

Last edited by NotFadeAway; 08-26-2009 at 03:59 PM. Reason: gggg
NotFadeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:41 PM   #41
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

thats a good idea.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 08-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #42
JBElliott
Side-Kick

With just a few tweeks, ACTION COMICS #775 "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, & the American Way?" would make a great Superman film.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #43
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

What goes down in action comics 755?

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 08-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #44
The Batman
The Dark Knight

being someone who appreciates everything superman, i voted for all of them

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #45
JBElliott
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
What goes down in action comics 755?
Source.

Quote:
by Don MacPherson
ACTION COMICS #775 (second printing)
"What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, & the American Way?"
Highly Recommended (10/10)

And now for something completely different. The first printing of this comic book was released in January 2001... before Randy and I began The Fourth Rail. However, we were writing reviews for another website at the time, and having recalled making some comments about this book the first time around, I sought out my original review.

So here it is. Bear in mind these comments represent my thoughts at the time. I've also included some additional commentary in italics following the text of the original review.

Son of a *****. I wasn't expecting that.

Within the comic-book industry and among regular comics readers, The Authority comes up as a topic of conversation and interest. It's a super-hero team book unlike just about any other, redefining super-heroes. Joe Kelly examines the Authority in this issue of Action Comics, comparing them to the traditional super-hero icon, Superman. Kelly examines the notion of good deeds, of heroism and morality. And it makes for a fascinating read and one of the best Superman comics to come along in years.

A new kind of super-hero makes its debut. They are members of the Elite, a team of metahumans whose power makes Superman look like Gleek the Space Monkey. And they use that power to right wrongs and change the world, but to Superman's horror, they aren't afraid to kill and seem to care little for anyone who gets in their way. A conflict of ethics and power builds between Superman and the Elite, and Lois fears her husband cannot win this confrontation.

Readers of The Authority simply must read this story. It's easy to get lost in the immense action, innovative examination of the notion of super-powers and the raunchy dialogue and characterization; it's easy to lose sight of the death and blood. Kelly examines the darker side of such characters and circumstances. Authority writers Mark Millar and Warren Ellis have hinted at that darker side, but Kelly really delves into it in detail here.

It makes sense, though, as in Action Comics, the Authority/Elite can be the antagonists, something that really wouldn't quite click in their own title. And to be fair, Kelly isn't saying "the Authority sucks" with this story. That team continues to stand out as a more accurate portrayal of what super-heroes might be like in the Real World. Kelly's point here is not that heroes should be ideal like Superman... simply that they should try. They need to try and live up to something.

The art is surprisingly consistent, given that two pencillers and six inkers were put to work on this issue. Mahnke and Bermejo bring power of the Elite to life, as well as the devastating consequences that arise when that power is put to use. The Bradstreet cover was a clever move as well, as it signals that this is not a typical Superman comic book.

What really makes the conflict and its importance clear to the reader are the little glimpses of everyday society that Kelly provides. Normal people -- from retirees to little kids playing in the street -- talk about the Elite and Superman, and it lends a greater tone of credibility to the incredible events and characters.

The Elite is not the Authority. Well, they are a singular aspect of the Authority, but Kelly's new characters represent so much more. They represent a ethical dilemma. They represent a corrupt system that overlooks justice in the name of righteousness. They represent the real instead of the ideal. And they represent what may be the finest piece of writing Joe Kelly has put together thus far in his career.

Obviously, this story will have a different impact on readers today given the different context in which it is represented. The first printing was released as a one-shot, as a commentary on a new brand of super-hero comic. This second printing serves as a backgrounder on the Elite, as the team is spinning off into its own limited series, Justice League Elite. Furthermore, this story was written before Sept.11, 2001, and more extreme and invasive "security" measures are seen in a different light today.

Is this comic book was powerful today as it was in January 2001? Certainly not. But if one focuses on Kelly's original intent and sets aside the knowledge that these one-shot characters have been transformed into something more lasting, readers can come close to tapping into the same sense of inventiveness and challenging perspective that made this story the focus of so much discussion and praise.

Email Don MacPherson with your comments about this review.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:40 PM   #46
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

ok thanks for that.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 09-01-2009, 12:51 AM   #47
lespaul59
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstuff View Post

I agree with this. And my opinion on Krytonite is I think it's overused. I'm not saying it doesn't have it's place in the SM mythos. I'm just just saying I want a villan besides a non superpowered guy with a green rock.

lespaul59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:21 AM   #48
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFadeAway View Post
Superman: The Animated Series
Superman: Birthright
Superman For All Seasons

Throw these down in front of a not just any writer, but a writer who has done great work in the fantasy/sci-fi-esque genres, and tell him to craft a script.

And work in some Golden Age Superman. I've said this before, but a fusion of post-crisis/TAS/Birthright Clark Kent and Golden Age Superman would tickle my fanboy pickle. I have gained a great deal of love for Golden Age Supes over the last few years. I just don't want any Silver Age/Donnerverse elements outside of perhaps having Superman save a cat from a tree, and even thats pushing it.
agreed. Another thing Jor-El should not be an old man likr in the Donnerverse he should in his early to mid 30s.

Young Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #49
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Action Comics: Brainiac

There is nothing more to add. They could do it line by line and still have it be astounding.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #50
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Looking at the poll options who was Weisinger, and what did he do with superman?

www.ItsJustMovies.com