The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: What source material should be used?
Golden Age 8 21.05%
Weisinger version 6 15.79%
Donnerverse 5 13.16%
John Byrne Reboot 28 73.68%
Johns/Frank version 26 68.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #76
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Default Re: Source Material?

Well i would love to have STAS have some basis on next film along with other aspects of other eras/takes of the character too.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #77
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
Well i would love to have STAS have some basis on next film along with other aspects of other eras/takes of the character too.
Agreed.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #78
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

I know i keep saying it but it would be the best thing for next writers/producers to do with the character. Take a look at what made the character work and was popular from each era of his history. Then mix the best things together and all that. How to do it i dont quint know myself. I dont know all the main points/details of the character from most eras of the character. But we need to make the character more rounded out and not just make it based on one take/look of the character.

Take for what the TSSM cartoon is doing with spider-man. They have it based more on the classic lee/dikto era stuff. But they also take aspects from ultimate universe and other modern stuff including the films. Then add their own spin on stories, and change other things up a bit like changing races of some supporting characters. But they keep the essence of the characters right.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 09-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #79
JBElliott
Side-Kick

Another decent starting point would be the animated film Doomsday. It wasn't perfect, but it had a lot of things going for it. With some work it would make a great live action film.

If they went that route, they should let Timm and Dini have a lot of the creative control of the live action film. After all the great work they've done with animation (and in comics) they deserve a shot at live action.

JBElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #80
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

it would be nice if they could be tapped to help out who ever takes the reigns of superman.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 09-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #81
JBElliott
Side-Kick

Quote:
it would be nice if they could be tapped to help out who ever takes the reigns of superman.
Why not put Timm and Dini in charge of all the live action WB/DC superhero films? Give them creative control and put them in charge of hiring writers, directors and actors. They've shown over and over again how well the get the characters, how well the know the comic mythology and how well they can translate it to film, albeit animated film.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #82
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBElliott View Post
Why not put Timm and Dini in charge of all the live action WB/DC superhero films? Give them creative control and put them in charge of hiring writers, directors and actors. They've shown over and over again how well the get the characters, how well the know the comic mythology and how well they can translate it to film, albeit animated film.
100% agreed.

SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #83
Mostpowerful
*SUPERMAN*

Quote:
I HUGE difference..

avatar by lere - @stargazer0118 - Superman wears trunks
Mostpowerful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:37 PM   #84
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
because all those animated movies they've done suck pretty bad.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:16 PM   #85
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

I would love to see timm/dini help out in some way for some future dc live action films. Fans hav enjoyed their work with superman/batman/jl.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 09-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #86
Eros
Side-Kick

Bruce Timm is really not a huge superman fan, he has said that as much. Dini and Timm are huge Batman guys ofcourse, they would work alot better with Batman.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #87
Isildurīs Heir
What are you looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFadeAway View Post
Superman: The Animated Series
Superman: Birthright
Superman For All Seasons

This are the three versions that should be used as source material for the new movie.
In my head, some time ago, iīve "written" a Superman origin movie (to be honest, iīve "written" a trilogy called The Last Son of Krypton) and i have used Superman For All Seasons, Superman: Birthright and the Byrne stuff.
Of Byrne and Birthright i only took bits, the one mostly used was For All Seasons, with several changes, of course.

I donīt know about TAS for i never watched it.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #88
JBElliott
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
because all those animated movies they've done suck pretty bad.
No they don't. The Superman/Doomsday wasn't great, but it was the best Superman movie of any kind ever done, live or animated. The Superman Animated Series was far and away better than any Superman related movie or television series. Timm and Dini don't always hit home runs, but they do a lot better than the rest.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #89
JBElliott
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros View Post
Bruce Timm is really not a huge superman fan, he has said that as much. Dini and Timm are huge Batman guys ofcourse, they would work alot better with Batman.
I'd love to see them to a live action Batman film as well. I'd love to see them as producers of all the DC film projects. Not necessarily directing things on the day-to-day level, but hiring people who would stay true to the source material and get the essence of the characters right, which many Hollywood people can't seem to do.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #90
JBElliott
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostpowerful View Post
I HUGE difference..

Not really. The Superman/Doomsday movie could have easily been a live action film. Even if it was a straight translation to live action (which I wouldn't want to see) it would have been the best live action Superman film ever made. Far and away better than "Superman Returns."

Old 09-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #91
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

Since the superman film series is years away this is probably the best thread to discuss what should be used for a reboot. It still puzzles me that people are more interested about who is going to be cast in the film as opposed to having a story worth filming.

Today superman secret origins was released and I really believe this book if well received is going to have a large influence on the reboot. This first chapter started in smallville with quick glimpses of krypton. I would like to see the film take this approach of avoiding krypton and starting in smallville. I think this was able to accomplish a few things.

First you really cared about Clark within the few pages and johns was able to establish his powers and use of eyeglasses in a clever way. The designs were great and I hope this is looked at if and when a reboot rolls around.

solidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:49 PM   #92
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
No they don't. The Superman/Doomsday wasn't great, but it was the best Superman movie of any kind ever done, live or animated. The Superman Animated Series was far and away better than any Superman related movie or television series. Timm and Dini don't always hit home runs, but they do a lot better than the rest.
Considering that they were also limited by having to stick within a 1 hour format, I don’t think it could have been better. That is the biggest complaint most people make is that the story was too simplified and condensed and seemed rushed.

None of that had anything to do with the producers making any mistakes, they did the best possible for them in a 1 hour format. The 1 hour format was not their idea.

If given a 2, or even 2.5 hour format to make a new superman movie franchise, I think they would do very well as they are less limited. Given the body of work and how true they were able to stay to the characterization of superman in STAS, I think that in the role of a producer they would do very well.

I don’t mind if they "like" Batman more, as they have shown that they still do have a good understanding of the way Superman ought to be portrayed on film. The understanding they have for the characterization and the world he exists in, as well as the characterization of the villains and supporting roles would be an incredible asset to the making of any live action film.

I also agree that they would not have to do an micro managing of talent. That is where the director, costume director, writers etc… come in.

The producers just have the final no-go/go on ideas and the hiring of the people that making things happen.

I would be very happy if Dini was at the helm.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:30 PM   #93
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

I do wonder how well sold/recieved by fans that secret origin title is going to be. I agree it will probably be a good starting point for new film series if fans are on board with it. I seen in a few other threads it looks like johns is drawing from aspects from donner, smallville, and some early eras with the whole suit/glasses things.

So i been saying this alot I think it would be best to take the best elements that help defined the character/characters in those eras. Mix them all together and form a good characterization from that. Then through in other stuff from various media takes. So you get things from all the timeframe of the character. Then with a fresh new story and good cast/crew we could have a good film on our hands.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 09-24-2009, 08:49 AM   #94
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

^which is what batman begins ended up doing by tying in different eras and books most notably year one and the long Halloween. I thought this first issue was an excellent start for the smallville stuff to be drawn from. In a movie I would leave out the whole superbly stuff along with the legion of superheroes which will be the focus of the next issue.

solidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #95
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros View Post
Which is why TAS was never really that good, and why its not as definitive for superman as TAS was for Batman

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #96
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Completely agreed. For me, S:TAS is the definitive version of Superman and the best interpretation of the character and his world ever put to screen(film included). I agree with those that state S:TAS should be used as a template. To see something as good as that show brought to life would be amazing.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #97
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Yea i know taking what was best from each eras of the 70+ year history of superman is the way to go with new film series. We can look at what was best liked/recieved. Borrow those elements and make a superman a good majority of the fans will like. Since it will be drawing on elements from MOS/golden age, etc...... stuff. Maybe make it based of of some good storylines from various comics like batman did.

Who ever does come on board if/when superman does make it back to the silver screen. Will do something like that. Research the character's history, see why folks liked him from this time to that time. Dont use things that didnt work, find a way to take all the better elements. Then make a good story.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 09-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #98
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yea i know taking what was best from each eras of the 70+ year history of superman is the way to go with new film series. We can look at what was best liked/recieved. Borrow those elements and make a superman a good majority of the fans will like. Since it will be drawing on elements from MOS/golden age, etc...... stuff. Maybe make it based of of some good storylines from various comics like batman did.

Who ever does come on board if/when superman does make it back to the silver screen. Will do something like that. Research the character's history, see why folks liked him from this time to that time. Dont use things that didnt work, find a way to take all the better elements. Then make a good story.
That is essentially what Dini &Timm did with STAS and BTAS. And it did work very well for both.

I don't mind if they "like" Batman more, as they did a great job with Superman anyway.

There is no movie or TV series for Superman, or any other film adaptation that I enjoy more than STAS, the Superman on JLTAS or JLUTAS or Superman/Doomsday.

I am also looking forward to Public Enemies, on DVD 5 days from this posting.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #99
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

This scene would be GOLD if translated to film.

Its one of the reasons why I think Clark can be a big guy in a suit, and still be hidden.

Because Superman is the cotume, and the costume has no mask, people assume he isn't hidding anything, and that he is Superman fulltime.

People refuse to see what they are not looking for. Even if you wave it in their face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfAvN6rXdkM

Old 10-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #100
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

When the new movie Lex is written, I want the screenwriters to take a look at Lex Luthor: Man of Steel.

LOST- 2004-2010: "The most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people. "

Best comic film of all time. The Dark Knight Rises!

NotFadeAway is offline   Reply With Quote