The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 08-27-2009, 08:17 AM   #51
Bad Superman
World's Grimmest Hero

Default Re: The Fortress of Solitude

How would you like to see it portrayed?

-Byrne's design mixed with Donner's crystals.

Do you like caves?

-Yes

Do you like crystals?

-Yes

Do you like the Arctic?

-The best place to hide out

What about a...space pocket or...interspace, or...inner space?

-For the FOS? No. That seems better suited for the Phantom Zone

What if there were no crystals whatsoever?

-Depends on the design

Should there be alien species contained within?

-No

Should there be computers?

-Absolutely.

Eradicator?

-Absolutely yes.

How would you like to see the Fortress integrated narratively?

-It would be the creation of the Eradicator.

"There’s no need to "modernize" Superman in order for the character to be appealing to the new generation. Superman is not a brooding angst ridden conflicted hero. He is a beacon of hope and his mission is to fight for Truth, Justice and the American way. Superman doesn’t need to wear an armor suit. He’s THE Man of Steel. There’s no need to “modernize” the suit for it to be more “dark” and “edgy”. If today’s generation can’t accept the character’s roots and essence, then they’re not true fans."
Bad Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #52
CLARKY
Side-Kick

Funny. I think the other way around : The fortress creating the eradicator, or Brainiac VIA the Fortress creating the Eradicator.

CLARKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #53
Timstuff
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
shouldn't exist until the sequel
Agreed.

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #54
batman44
Go Speed GO

I would prefer not to see he FOS in the next movie origin or not. If it does however show up, I'd like something along the lines of how Jim Lee drew it in Superman For Tomorrow.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
batman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #55
Superfreak
Gramaton Cleric

I'd also put in a request for no magical powers... ala TAS, where it was nothing more than a useful cave where he stored important things.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #56
DA Dent
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochimus View Post
I'd probably take a lot of influence from the "Superman: Doomsday" version of the Fortress:
Something like that would be pretty awesome with just an underwater enterance.

DA Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #57
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

I agree too Superman the movie and smallville did make it such a all powerful place/device. Which is a bit much at times. I agree it should just be a place he can rest, store alien tech/kryptonian tech, and other things from his adventures like batman does with the bat cave.

As for the smallville thing and chloe, yes she was freezing from the artic weather, but also if you rewatch that scene from the season 5 premiere once she did walk into the fos it jorel kickstarted more cold/weather/electrical discharge so she wouldnt interfere with his training of clark. So to a degree their is some defenses the fos has.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #58
mjbull23
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I like the key idea. A small key that weighs a hundred tons. I dunno about having it weigh half a million tons though, thats a bit out there.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #59
The Guard
Side-Kick

I want Superman to make the Fortress himself, because he needs it. I have no issues with a Fortress that combines the Pre-Crisis Fortress, the late 80's and 90's version, and elements of the Donner fortress, I.E, crystalline structure and tech.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #60
bgshw44
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I want Superman to make the Fortress himself, because he needs it. I have no issues with a Fortress that combines the Pre-Crisis Fortress, the late 80's and 90's version, and elements of the Donner fortress, I.E, crystalline structure and tech.
yes, it has to be there, this is superman

Lets go WB make another superman movie!!
bgshw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #61
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
The FOS should be where Supes keeps the bottled city of Kandor......on a shelf....next to a vase and some books.

He feeds'em fish food once a day.....and taps on the glass if they start to get raucous. He also keeps a little net handy for when one of them dies....floating belly-up, high in the bottled airspace.

ROFLMAO !!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithgoblin View Post
We're on the same wavelength. I hate the idea that Jor-El planned for Clark to become Superman and instructed him on what to do with his life. I thought Birthright was hit and miss, but I loved how it showed Clark exploring the world and deciding for himself that it needed his help.
I agree on both points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgshw44 View Post
yes, it has to be there, this is superman
I'm not sure why he would actually need it and if we really need to see it. It was originally invented because Batman had a Batcave so they figured Superman needed a Supercave. I grant you that it's kind of an interesting place but I always thought it was a bit much for Superman to be spending time dabbling with sophisticated technologies when he should be out saving lives.

DavidTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:54 PM   #62
Kal-El Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
I agree too Superman the movie and smallville did make it such a all powerful place/device. Which is a bit much at times. I agree it should just be a place he can rest, store alien tech/kryptonian tech, and other things from his adventures like batman does with the bat cave.

As for the smallville thing and chloe, yes she was freezing from the artic weather, but also if you rewatch that scene from the season 5 premiere once she did walk into the fos it jorel kickstarted more cold/weather/electrical discharge so she wouldnt interfere with his training of clark. So to a degree their is some defenses the fos has.
I didn't remember that. I guess it's time to pop in the DVD and watch it again. LOL

Kal-El Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #63
Timstuff
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Dent View Post
Something like that would be pretty awesome with just an underwater enterance.
Or, the entrance could be iced over, and Superman melts it using his heat vision and then re-ices it using his breath and the nearby water.

BTW, I like the idea of the FOS being hidden in the icy cliffs. A giant Christmas ornament in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness seems like it'd be somewhat conspicuous in the days of satellite imaging.

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:42 PM   #64
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

I agree it should be naturally hidden so its harder to find but then also it has some defenses in the case of luthor/X villain finding it and all that. It should have some high tech stuff/alien-krypton tech and he should have some information storage/retrieval thing to learn about things. Like how i was getting with the idea the other day. Maybe first film is brainiac is the villain we learn of krypton through him, he was the cause or part of the cause of its end. Then superman defeats him in the film. Then creates the fos to safe keep the info of krypton/the rest of the universe and go from their.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 08-27-2009, 11:49 PM   #65
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

What kind of defenses could it possibly have that Supes couldn't take care of himself? Guns? As far as someone else accessing the information...label the buttons in Kryptonian...or don't have any buttons to begin with.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #66
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Hmm good question their kalmart, I guess it would have to be what kinda tech would he have in it first off so we can figure out then what he could do. Maybe some cloaking/shield tech....?

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 08-28-2009, 12:21 AM   #67
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
Hmm good question their kalmart, I guess it would have to be what kinda tech would he have in it first off so we can figure out then what he could do. Maybe some cloaking/shield tech....?
You see a Walrus knock his head against something he can't see.

In all seriousness....too much detail. Just show that it's deeply hidden in the harshest of environments, and keep it to a few short scenes where he's in there with some otherworldly tech. We don't need the full tour.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 08-28-2009, 12:28 AM   #68
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Well i know we dont need a full tour of the place, i was just throwing out an idea on defenses.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 08-28-2009, 01:06 AM   #69
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

-30C temperatures with 40mph winds in the front yard is a pretty good defense.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #70
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
We're on the same wavelength. I hate the idea that Jor-El planned for Clark to become Superman and instructed him on what to do with his life. I thought Birthright was hit and miss, but I loved how it showed Clark exploring the world and deciding for himself that it needed his help.
See, I don't mind that element. It's the sort of "Don't want to disappoint my dead father" drama the series needs. But that shouldn't be ALL Clark considers. For instance, Jor-El could point out the obvious to Kal-El, via recordings or whatever...show him he can be a leader, a helpful presence, etc, and the Kents can show him how to approach that from a human angle and be there to guide him, beyond the way a Kryptonian would do it.

Again, I think it's a matter of blending everything that's come before into a cohesive mythology.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #71
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

I think it's more about not wanting Jor-El as a constant presence...or even an occasional one that Supes spends substantial time with. It's endearing if he leaves his son a little parting note for when he's old enough to ask questions about being different and all...but no more of the 'teaching him to be a hero', etc. Superman should honor the fact that Jor-El and Lara saved him from dying, and gave him a chance for a healthy life...with perhaps some parting info that would help him understand where he came from and why he's so different. But his parents are Jon and Martha Kent, they raised him to be the person that he is...and Clark should be the one who takes full responsibility for choosing to become Superman....whereas Jor-El and Lara's wish was that he simply survive and have a chance at a healthy/happy life.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #72
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

those are some both good ideas kalmart and the guard. I been saying along with others we should blend aspects of many different takes to have a more rounded out character, and not just have it based on one take.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 08-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #73
what_19
Side-Kick

i'd like him to have a place to go...and i think the arctic idea is pretty cool...or what about an underwater place for him to go. at the bottom of the ocean? someplace so deep nobody could even think of touching it

on another note, i don't like him having kandor or other alien lifeforms inside the fortress. i think he should have info and technology, kind of like a digital encyclopedia so that he can learn about possible villians and history and whatnot

what_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #74
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_19 View Post
i'd like him to have a place to go...and i think the arctic idea is pretty cool...or what about an underwater place for him to go. at the bottom of the ocean? someplace so deep nobody could even think of touching it

on another note, i don't like him having kandor or other alien lifeforms inside the fortress. i think he should have info and technology, kind of like a digital encyclopedia so that he can learn about possible villians and history and whatnot
Yeah...no Martian aardvarks...or a bottle full of millions of little people that he has to feed like goldfish once a day, and what not.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:52 PM   #75
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

I agree what 19 it would be nice to see those stuff like kandor/alien creatures. It would be a nice change of pace in a comic film to get into some more fantastical options. But i agree we need to at least have some device/information storage thing about krypton's past, and other known powerful alien life forms. So like if we see a darkseid, mongul, lobo, etc,.... space fairing villains superman can learn about them.

www.ItsJustMovies.com