The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 09-03-2009, 02:29 AM   #76
Kurosawa
Banned User

Default Re: The Fortress of Solitude

I'd rather have something along the lines of the Pre Crisis FOS, with the Giant Key and all. It's just more imposing.

The Secret Citadel from the 40's had a beautiful design though, very art-deco and fitting of the time:

Last edited by Kurosawa; 09-03-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:01 AM   #77
SuperAl
Superman's back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARKY View Post
I think it was not dumb at all. Lex already found how to access the fortress. He is the only one who was able to do it. The only human able to find the fortress (and steal from Superman !), I do not consider it as dumb but, as great. Furthermore, I think it is original to have the hero stolen from instead of the usual "I'm in danger, but not really. Let's just have my girlfriend kidnapped and pretend that it is an awful situation". I think the idea of a human penetrating in the Fortress and stealing from Superman is a very original idea, that really weakens the hero. THAT is drama for me.
I'm specifically talking about the idea. The execution of it did not really please me.
[/QUOTE]

Well SR's Lex in my opinion seemed pretty stupid. For one he thought people would actually wanna purchase green rock land thats dirty and incapable of growing anything. Also the best schemes he could come up with are real estate schemes. Im sorry i dont buy it, that this guy is suppose to be smart enough to find supermans secret hideout. Not only that but they showed Superman's fortress appearing on radar, which to me seems kind of dumb. Are we suppose to assume the fortress is constantly giving off a signal and if it is, it isnt encrypted/undetectable considering Superman is actually extremely inteligent?

The only villain that should ever be able to find Superman's hideout should be Brainiac.

SuperAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #78
GreenKToo
In the fire

I like the idea that Jor-el would have no idea where Clark would end up. He builds a ship for his only son to use to escape the destruction of Krytpton in.
While building the ship, Jor-el intergrates a highly advanced AI system into it ( the eradicator). It is the Eradicator that will pick a suitable planet for baby Kal-el to survive on.
Later on, when Clark is in his early 20's, it builds the fortress for him using technology from Krypton.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #79
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

That could be a good way to go about it.

As for fos i wouldnt want to see giant key/fos look, that would just be so cheesy looking.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #80
GreenKToo
In the fire

Man, these forums are dead. The same 3 or 4 people are mostly who are posting.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #81
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithgoblin View Post
That's all I'd want it to be.

I am sick of the over reliance of Krypton in Superman's life. I would like to get back to the old school Fleischer concept: he's a guy with super powers who defends the city. Focus on that, and throw in a subplot with Clark and Lois as investigative reporters uncovering a mystery and BAM - there's your movie.
Oh come on! This is like asking for a Batman who doesnt care about his parents and simply protects gotham.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El Fan View Post
do you really think that the total accumulation of all literature and scientific fact from dozens of other worlds, spanning the 28 known galaxies cannot create a door that would prevent Lex from getting in??!!!!
OMG yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Or how about just having the exterior of the structure blend in with the rest of the surroundings...instead of having a glowing lattice-network design that one can pick out from miles away?

It's a movie, yo?
Indeed.

Personally i want the Fortress. Its his connection to his ancestry and the only way he can know he is Kryptonian. Its also the place where Jor-El can give him the info on the Phantom Zone, Zod, Brainiac, etc. But i wouldnt want Jor-El to tell him to become Superman. I think he should deside to do this on his own, with Jor-El only having sent him to Earth because we look like Kryptonians and because the yellow sun would protect his only son, whatever he chose to do with his life.

The Fortress should be in the North Pole, but completely redesigned. I find the crystals too cliche by now, not to mention that the cave is too cold and hostile. Perhaps they can reimagine Krypton and the Fortress. Jor-El stores the Fortress in another pocket dimension similar to the phantom zone and with the crystal Clark can teleport it to the N.pole. Cause you know, a crystal that becomes a huge base is a bit... yeah...
There its hidden inside a mountain of ice, hidden and protected by advanced technology.

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #82
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

totally

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 12-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #83
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

should the fortress have guest rooms and a shower in it like in some stories?

wattabrownsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #84
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

hmmm good question there. All counts i think in the look and shape they want to go with. Plus how much play they want fos to have in any future films.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 12-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #85
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

imagine they do a scene similar to the opening scene of Lost season two but its inside the Fortress.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:30 AM   #86
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
Man, these forums are dead.
So's the franchise...whattaya expect?

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:37 AM   #87
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattabrownsound View Post
imagine they do a scene similar to the opening scene of Lost season two but its inside the Fortress.

The soaps should be S symbol-shaped.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #88
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
The soaps should be S symbol-shaped.
Monogrammed towels?

DavidTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #89
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Doc rents out space to Supes...

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #90
Mr. Earle
Banned User

What the hell is wrong with his hair?

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #91
El Payaso
Banned User

A little Iron Man there.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #92
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
That was a creation of the artist James Bama. Doc's hair on the covers when first produced in the 30's were regular looking. When Bantam books started reprinting the books in the 60's, they told the artist to come up with a different sci fi type of look...and this is what he did. It has stuck since....and all comics and books now show this version.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #93
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

that is odd looking hair.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 12-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #94
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
It's a hat...he's actually bald, and it's cold out there.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 12-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #95
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

really?

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 12-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #96
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Wouldn't you be cold in that kind of region with no hair?

Old 12-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #97
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

would guest rooms and showers not translate well from the comics to a superman movie? if superman ever felt the need to take a group of people over to the Fortress for safety reasons like in the Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow storyline where would they go if there were no rooms or if they kept the Donner Fortress?

Old 12-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #98
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

i got a stupid question, when was the first fos like structured created in the comics>?

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #99
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

To have the extensive knowledge of earth and it's affect on a Kryptonian body then some Kryptonian scientists/explorers were there before.

I think it would be interesting if a few hundred years ago (or a few thousand) Kryptonian explorers set out to discover other habitable worlds. On each world they setup outpost to work from in remote locations so as not to interfere with native populations. The scientists were surprised when they landed on earth and the effects of the yellow sun. After years of exploring all the various off planet expeditions were recalled but the outposts remained intact and cloaked from detection. It's remained sealed for several thousand years.

Essentially the fortress is one of these outposts.

As one of Kryptons top scientist and scholar Jor-el is familiar with these outposts and places a key of sorts in Clark's ship that will unseal the fortress. It also has updated information on all things Kryptonian, so once Clark places it into the fortress everything is download and it updates the databanks so they included everything including his ships journey to earth and the planets final moments broadcast from Jor-el to the ship.

Also the superman suit is essentially an exploration type outfit Kryptonians used while on earth. They found that as they began testing the limits of their newfound abilities only clothing that was close to their skin remained intact. They developed the body suits as a sort of second skin and it inherited their invulnerability.

Also as far as motivation for someone like Brainaic, i don't think he was Kryptonian in nature but sought out the planets vast information, as it was one of the most technologically advanced civilizations ever known.

He once sought to absorb it's knowledge and destroy it as he'd done countless other world's only to discover this shining light in the universe was already destroyed. He's tried to find any trace of the Kryptonian outpost but b/c of the cloaking technology he can't locate them. He's sent out countless probes in search of anything Kryptonian. Eventually one probe lands on earth and finds Clark's ship, (Clark is a teenager at this point) and tries to remove the key (which will both lead it to the fortress and unlock its secrets). Clark has an altercation with the robot and destroys it, but recovers the key and begins his journey to discover his heritage. the robot is recovered by Lex Luthor, reverse engineered and eventually reactivated, it broadcasts its location to Brainiac's ship in space, thus leading Braininac to earth.

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #100
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
To have the extensive knowledge of earth and it's affect on a Kryptonian body then some Kryptonian scientists/explorers were there before.

I think it would be interesting if a few hundred years ago (or a few thousand) Kryptonian explorers set out to discover other habitable worlds. On each world they setup outpost to work from in remote locations so as not to interfere with native populations. The scientists were surprised when they landed on earth and the effects of the yellow sun. After years of exploring all the various off planet expeditions were recalled but the outposts remained intact and cloaked from detection. It's remained sealed for several thousand years.

Essentially the fortress is one of these outposts.

As one of Kryptons top scientist and scholar Jor-el is familiar with these outposts and places a key of sorts in Clark's ship that will unseal the fortress. It also has updated information on all things Kryptonian, so once Clark places it into the fortress everything is download and it updates the databanks so they included everything including his ships journey to earth and the planets final moments broadcast from Jor-el to the ship.

Also the superman suit is essentially an exploration type outfit Kryptonians used while on earth. They found that as they began testing the limits of their newfound abilities only clothing that was close to their skin remained intact. They developed the body suits as a sort of second skin and it inherited their invulnerability.

Also as far as motivation for someone like Brainaic, i don't think he was Kryptonian in nature but sought out the planets vast information, as it was one of the most technologically advanced civilizations ever known.

He once sought to absorb it's knowledge and destroy it as he'd done countless other world's only to discover this shining light in the universe was already destroyed. He's tried to find any trace of the Kryptonian outpost but b/c of the cloaking technology he can't locate them. He's sent out countless probes in search of anything Kryptonian. Eventually one probe lands on earth and finds Clark's ship, (Clark is a teenager at this point) and tries to remove the key (which will both lead it to the fortress and unlock its secrets). Clark has an altercation with the robot and destroys it, but recovers the key and begins his journey to discover his heritage. the robot is recovered by Lex Luthor, reverse engineered and eventually reactivated, it broadcasts its location to Brainiac's ship in space, thus leading Braininac to earth.
I like your thinking, this would all give a fresh take on the mythos without changing huge segments of the Superman lore

elgaz is online now   Reply With Quote