Old-School Comic Cool

Default Re: Origin of the \S/ symbol

Sorry those are from a japanese spider-man show, here's the american version:

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #102
kalelkilla
Side-Kick

the Birthright idea is best: it's the symbol that represents his family, but then morphs into a symbol of hope for all Kryptonians and that is why Clark decides to wear it on his chest. As far as the material, it came from the blanket Jor-El and Lara sent him in and as far as who makes it...Martha makes it with the help of Clark (with the heat vision and all). The design (hopefully with no underwear on the outside) comes from a hologram or something that Clark sees of the people of Krypton and tells Marth and Jonathan that he wants to dress like them to connect with his lost heritage and culture...he is the last one after all.

kalelkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #103
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

how do explain martha being able to make a costume (hopefully something that looks really good) composed out of a variety of materials (skin tight bodysuit, shorts, boots, cloth-like cape) all out of the same blankets?

Old 02-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #104
Mr. Earle
Banned User

I always liked this origin for the suit, even if the execution of the scene is a bit cheesy:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #105
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

I like the S symbol being the family crest.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #106
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
I always liked this origin for the suit, even if the execution of the scene is a bit cheesy:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
That is the best looking suit that superman wore on the show in my opinion.

Last edited by Daybreak_st; 02-18-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #107
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
That is the best looking suit that superman wore in my opinion.
I agree.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #108
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
how do explain martha being able to make a costume (hopefully something that looks really good) composed out of a variety of materials (skin tight bodysuit, shorts, boots, cloth-like cape) all out of the same blankets?
As I stated in an earlier post, the explanation was that the costume and cape was made from the blankets which stretched, and the boots and belt were made from the interior of the ship he was sent in. She wove the blankets apart and fashioned the costume with some help from Clark.

Discussion of traditional origins of the costume:

http://theages.superman.nu/encyc/costume.php

Last edited by Kurosawa; 02-18-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #109
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
As I stated in an earlier post, the explanation was that the costume and cape was made from the blankets which stretched, and the boots and belt were made from the interior of the ship he was sent in. She wove the blankets apart and fashioned the costume with some help from Clark.

Ha, that's interesting. I honestly didn't see your earlier posts and didn't realize it was made from more than just the blankets. Intersting.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #110
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Ha, that's interesting. I honestly didn't see your earlier posts and didn't realize it was made from more than just the blankets. Intersting.
Yeah, it makes sense within the context although I sort of like the Golden Age explanation too because it shows off Superman's scientific side.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #111
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:

Because he couldnt buy a pair of red boots and a yellow belt? Jeez, did he even make condoms out of his kryptonian stuff?

Old 02-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #112
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
Because he couldnt buy a pair of red boots and a yellow belt? Jeez, did he even make condoms out of his kryptonian stuff?
You can't fly through the sun in boots you buy at Target.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #113
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well if u got with the aura deal and/or say his invul powers protect his clothing/boots i dont think it would matter where the boots came from. But for me i like them to have the suit be earthly made of earth materals, maybe keep the blanket idea with a compromise like only one blanket and it becomes his cape maybe.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:35 PM   #114
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
well if u got with the aura deal and/or say his invul powers protect his clothing/boots i dont think it would matter where the boots came from. But for me i like them to have the suit be earthly made of earth materals, maybe keep the blanket idea with a compromise like only one blanket and it becomes his cape maybe.
I think the forcefield/aura is lame. Makes him Unus the Untouchable. I'd rather his tissue just be that dense due to Krypton's insane gravity.

I don't really care how the costume is made or how powerful he is, although the blankets is easily the most iconic and best known. The costume and symbol issues are the last of Superman's problems.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:40 PM   #115
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

i get your points kuro on what you like we both have our opinion on things like the blankets vs aura stuff. All i would like to see is a nice combining/compromising on things and use the best stuff from superman as a whole and make a well rounded movie out of things.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #116
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
i get your points kuro on what you like we both have our opinion on things like the blankets vs aura stuff. All i would like to see is a nice combining/compromising on things and use the best stuff from superman as a whole and make a well rounded movie out of things.
I think they should stress the harsh environment and gravity of Krypton and how hard it was to blast the ship off of it. Birthright did a great job of that. If they use Kandor, Superman should tell Lois (or whoever) is there that the gravity would grind a human to dust in seconds.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #117
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

It could work, and i am not knocking the idea of it. It has its merits just like the whole aura thing. I would compromise and try to see if both could work.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-19-2010, 02:20 AM   #118
SuperDaniel
Banned User

The aura thing is not lame. It`s reality.

"When you revamped Superman and gave him a force-field around his body, did you do that because you wanted to get away from the "indestructible" costume thing? Did you catch much slack for this new "power"?

JB: No, to both. A few months before I started work on Superman, I'd read a book called "The Secret House" (which I highly recommend, though I sadly cannot remember the name of the author.) This book tells all about the strange and amazing things that happen in the world around us, things of which we are mostly oblivious (How they make chocolate cake, for instance. Shudder.) One of the things that was most interesting was the fact that the bioelectric energy of the human body generates a field of energy around all of us, very low wattage and very close to the skin. (This is not Kirillian photography, btw. This is real science.) Apparently, were it not for this field, we would be covered with dust and grime all the time. I extrapolated this for Superman, as a justification for him wearing a skintight (to be inside the field) costume. (4/25/1998)"

Best explanation ever for the costume. I`d rather this than some ridiculous notions of indestructible material from Krypton... One more thing post-crisis improve on Pre-crisis concepts.

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:54 AM   #119
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
I think the forcefield/aura is lame. Makes him Unus the Untouchable. I'd rather his tissue just be that dense due to Krypton's insane gravity.
Every one of his powers exists because of his exposure to our sun. That's why he loses them when he is exposed to red sun radiation that drives the yellow sun one out, like carbon monoxide does to the oxygen in our bloodcells. And that's why your gravity explanation doesnt work.

Furthermore, the force field isnt really an X-men type of forcefield, but rather its his invulnerability that projects a mm from his body. The sun radiation gives him this invulnerability and its so much that it projects a tiny bit around him. A punch by Brainiac/Darkseid/Mongul would actually hurt him and hurt his aura, leaving his suit vulnerable.
So you see, the aura doesnt make him untouchable. He makes the suit untouchable. Your version of things adds an indestructable suit to an indestructable man.
Quote:
You can't fly through the sun in boots you buy at Target.
So his suit can do that? And that doesnt make him Unus the Untouchable?

Old 02-19-2010, 05:54 AM   #120
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post

"When you revamped Superman and gave him a force-field around his body, did you do that because you wanted to get away from the "indestructible" costume thing? Did you catch much slack for this new "power"?

JB: No, to both. A few months before I started work on Superman, I'd read a book called "The Secret House" (which I highly recommend, though I sadly cannot remember the name of the author.) This book tells all about the strange and amazing things that happen in the world around us, things of which we are mostly oblivious (How they make chocolate cake, for instance. Shudder.) One of the things that was most interesting was the fact that the bioelectric energy of the human body generates a field of energy around all of us, very low wattage and very close to the skin. (This is not Kirillian photography, btw. This is real science.) Apparently, were it not for this field, we would be covered with dust and grime all the time. I extrapolated this for Superman, as a justification for him wearing a skintight (to be inside the field) costume. (4/25/1998)"

Best explanation ever for the costume. I`d rather this than some ridiculous notions of indestructible material from Krypton... One more thing post-crisis improve on Pre-crisis concepts.
Awesome post!
Quote:
I think they should stress the harsh environment and gravity of Krypton and how hard it was to blast the ship off of it. Birthright did a great job of that. If they use Kandor, Superman should tell Lois (or whoever) is there that the gravity would grind a human to dust in seconds.
A super advanced race like the Kryptonians had trouble launching a spaceship?

Old 02-19-2010, 07:05 AM   #121
CLARKY
Side-Kick

Quote:

Excellent post. I agree with this. I find the aura thing a bit "easy" but I think the idea is very good anyway. and when the suit is destroyed, partially or not, it means , for me, that something has penetrated his aura (Doomsday for example), that gives more reliability to the invulnerabilty for me.
I prefer this to the indestructible clothes from Krypton.

CLARKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #122
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:

Nice post. if nothing else it provides the best explanation for why he wears a skin-tight costume. That alone gives it merit in my mind.

I still like the idea of him discovering kryptonian bodysuits in the fortress. Something early kryptonians (who were on earth doing research) used/developed once they discovered their new found abilities and that any material that was close enough to their skin retained the invulnerablity. He just takes the bodysuit or the idea and creates his costume.

For the life of me i have no idea how clark would figure out about the aura otherwise? I mean as the post above says all humans have something like this but i doubt most people are aware of it.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #123
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
For the life of me i have no idea how clark would figure out about the aura otherwise? I mean as the post above says all humans have something like this but i doubt most people are aware of it.
Or they can just write a good superman story and stop worrying about explaining everything. Lets not get pedantic here.
IIRC the aura was explained in L&C with 1 simple sentence that Superman said to Lois. "My body projects a small aura and protects the suit".
Add the electricity explanation from above so that it doesnt sound stupid and we're good to go. How does Clark know? He figured it out through combat experience, or Jor-El taught him in the fortress. Who cares?

Old 02-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #124
Nightwing1983
Side-Kick

I don't think the origin of the \S/ is really important, but I do like the movies' idea that it came from Krypton and that it's not necessarily the letter "S." I just find it strange that he'd actually call himself "Superman" or that he'd put an "S" that stands for "Superman" on his chest. He seems a little more humble than that.

Nightwing1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #125
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Yea that is a reason i like the whole aura thing, and if u add the science reason behind it would work. As for explaining his powers i would go with either learning it from the fortess, on his own, or if they included the character emil hamilton/star labs he could be the go to guy on these things, and would be a good way to get into kryptonite radiation and why it affects superman if/when they would have kryptonite in the mix with new film series.

www.ItsJustMovies.com