The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight

Old 09-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #26
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

Default Re: Kevin Conroy's thoughts on bale and ledger

Yea it sounded too...I dunno, nasally or lispy?

Ace of Knaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #27
El Payaso
Banned User

The "swear to me" scene was fantastic. Bale's Bat-voice there was great. Other than that, his bat-voice in BB was nothing special. And in TDK it was terrible.

I understand Kevin Conroy could/should have been more polite to Bale but the voice was bad, not just "different than his."

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #28
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

"Rattle the cages" was good too!

Old 09-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #29
ChrisB
Batman News

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ace of Knaves View Post
"Rattle the cages" was good too!
I agree, it sounded great there when he was talking to Rachel. From me in BB, it all went down hill the minute he was talking to Gordon about the train/mono rail. Even the last scene in Begins was poor IMO.

Has it been confirmed that his voice in TDK was digitally altered? Maybe they should've just left it alone, because while his BB was far from perfect...the worst parts of BB made TDK look fantastic!

Old 09-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #30
Crook
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Id* View Post
See that's the thing - Hamill had some atrocious lines in AA but he made them work. Conroy on the other hand, didn't. I personally think Batman's voice should have a sort of dark edge to it, and Conroy has been steadily losing that. For example, compare his voice in episodes like Heart of Ice, On Leather Wings, Riddler's Reform and even Mask of the Phantasm with his voice in Gotham Knight and Arkham Asylum and there is a noticeable difference because he sounds more like a confident superhero than the brooding vigilante from the former TAS episodes. Heck, even his in-game conversation with the guards and doctors in AA is just...lackluster. Keaton's Batman voice always had that 'dark edge' which has been missing from Conroy's performance these last few years. That is why even his bad lines worked.
You know, I hadn't really noticed that until you brought it up. I definitely do see the difference over the years. While it is still technically the same voice, the added "superheroic confidence and bravado" does alter the character's disposition. I much prefer the darker edge he had in his earlier years. Good ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
The "swear to me" scene was fantastic. Bale's Bat-voice there was great. Other than that, his bat-voice in BB was nothing special. And in TDK it was terrible.
Bale's voice in the BB teaser was so damn awesome, as was his monologue intro on the Superbowl spot. It's too bad both of these were his Bruce voices.

Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #31
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yea that's understandable Hound. But I do think he went a little over the top with it.

In Begins I thought it was great. When he was like "Swear to meeeeee!!" I was just like "Yea that's pretty bad ass"
Yah, Bale's Bat-voice was GREAT in BB. TDK is a different story... It was so inconsistent. The Swear to me part is one of my favorite scenes in comic cinema history!

Old 09-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #32
Mario_Galaxy
Side-Kick

Bale's Bat voice (for me) was the best when in BB he first speaks to Gordon in the ski mask.

Gordon: You're just one man?
Batman: Now we're two.

Awesome

Mario_Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #33
cokebabies
Choad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound55 View Post
I always viewed his Batman voice as an effect to make his voice difficult/impossible to recognize in a more modern age where that would be the easiest method to identify him.
I think not going nearly as far as Bale did would have been fine, and fallen into that category of "aspects of comic books not completely translating into reality" things that we would have gladly overlooked.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #34
ChrisB
Batman News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_Galaxy View Post
Bale's Bat voice (for me) was the best when in BB he first speaks to Gordon in the ski mask.

Awesome
I completley forgot about that scene! Definitely! Why didn't he keep it as his Batman voice?! I guess Bale really did feel like a "beast" in that costume (as he's stated in multiple interviews).

Old 09-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #35
Mario_Galaxy
Side-Kick

Yeah. To me, THAT is a creepy/perfect voice for Batman. Like a calm whisper.

Mario_Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #36
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound55 View Post
I always viewed his Batman voice as an effect to make his voice difficult/impossible to recognize in a more modern age where that would be the easiest method to identify him.
Yeah, but the thing is, if it's not written into the movie, then this isn't a factor. And I don't remember any scene when this was brought up by someone, so it's all just speculation.

The reason why I liked his voice better in BB, was because he balanced out his growls, with just having a lower voice while talking. When he wanted to be intimidating, he growled, but when he talked to Rachel or Gordon, he produced a softer voice, and most importantly, it was understandable. The first time I saw TDK, when he was talking to the fake-Batman, and said, "I don't wear hockey pads", I thought he said, "I don't wear hockey masks", and I had to think about it for a second, and then I saw the fake-Batman look down, and I was like "those are catchers pads....OH! Hockey pads".

Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #37
willemjoker
Side-Kick

Yeah, his voice in Begins was alright, but his voice in TDK made him sound like he had a bronchial infection. Or that he and Ledger were competing in a Tom Waits impersonation contest.

willemjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:07 AM   #38
maveholic31
Banned User

yea I don't htink he was raggin on him there, and as much as I freakin love Bale as an actor (only Terminator Salvation was unwatchable for me in any Bale movie) he had the perfect voice in Begins (particularly in his first scenes as Batman) and slightly overdid it in TDK.

Hopefully he goes back to the BB voice in the next one

maveholic31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:02 AM   #39
JokerLedger
Side-Kick

I must be the only one who absolutely loves Bale's Batman voice no matter what in both BB and TDK. Kevin Conroy didn't get the point but I think what Bale did with his voice was genius. I recall Bale saying once he put on the batsuit he felt like a creature rather than man. If you want to strike fear in the mind of criminals, it makes sense to mask your voice as well. It completes the whole disguise in my opinion.

Kevin Conroy's voice is iconic but I feel it only works for Timm's version of Batman. Hearing his voice in Gotham Knight and Arkham Asylum is just awkward and doesn't match at all. I actually thought his voice was terrible in Gotham Knight. It also bugs me that he's returning to voice Batman in the upcoming Public Enemies. I mean... I want to hear other people take on Batman's voice for a whole new vision of Bats. It's just more exciting and original.

I feel Rino Romano (is that his name?) did an excellent job as Bats in The Batman... and Diedrich Bader is kicking ass in The Brave and the Bold! Jeremy Sisto was... alright in The New Frontier but still fresh and exciting.

JokerLedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #40
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerLedger View Post
I must be the only one who absolutely loves Bale's Batman voice no matter what in both BB and TDK. Kevin Conroy didn't get the point but I think what Bale did with his voice was genius. I recall Bale saying once he put on the batsuit he felt like a creature rather than man. If you want to strike fear in the mind of criminals, it makes sense to mask your voice as well. It completes the whole disguise in my opinion.
You aren't the only person who likes the Balevoice. I do too, for the same reason you gave.

Quote:
Kevin Conroy's voice is iconic but I feel it only works for Timm's version of Batman. Hearing his voice in Gotham Knight and Arkham Asylum is just awkward and doesn't match at all. I actually thought his voice was terrible in Gotham Knight. It also bugs me that he's returning to voice Batman in the upcoming Public Enemies. I mean... I want to hear other people take on Batman's voice for a whole new vision of Bats. It's just more exciting and original.
I agree completely about being tired of hearing Conroy everywhere. I'd rather move on and see someone else take up the batmantle...as long as it isn't Jeremy Sisto.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:50 AM   #41
nathaniel
Banned User

I loved Sisto he sounded like an actual person rather then a cliched bass voiced hero like Conroy is (awesome though he was in BTAS).

I still think Keaton had the best voice though, with Sisto after him.

His voice is just cold aloong with it, his quote about a rock to defeat the alien but a matchbook to take out Jhon was delivered just stone cold.

I would also like to give an appreciation to Hammil though, he just created the most pure version of joker i have ever seen in any media in AA free from the kid/teen restraints of BTAS he really let rip at what he can do he was the perfect representation of the clown and the psycho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkxl1p6k5Ss

Do i look like i care about money? (chuckles) I just want my monsters doc! and if you dont give them to me? well it wont be funny!

AWESOME stuff from Hammil.

nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:17 AM   #42
Aesop Rocks
Price of Freedom

Didn't Conroy do the same voice for Bruce and Batman?

Aesop Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:24 AM   #43
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

I think his Bruce voice was a little more extravagant and energetic. Whilst his Batman voice was more monotone and deeper. Only subtle differences.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:04 AM   #44
Aesop Rocks
Price of Freedom

They should have done the same thing for Bale. It would be a perfect Batman if so.

Personal opinion, of course.

Aesop Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #45
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCrissaMan02 View Post
His voice changed so much in BB! It was perfect the 1st time he talked to Rachel..or even when he was talking to Gordon when the SWAT team was after him.
Agreed.
Quote:
Yea that's understandable Hound. But I do think he went a little over the top with it.

In Begins I thought it was great. When he was like "Swear to meeeeee!!" I was just like "Yea that's pretty bad ass"
Best scene of the two movies (for me) and the best bat-voice Bale ever did.

Now look, Bale is suave, handsome and a magnificent actor. But you cant have it all. He isnt as tall as Batman should have been (even Dent is taller and the Joker was about the same size without all the rubber), he doesnt have a huge jaw, and he cant do a great growly voice.

I personally grew up and loved batman because of BTAS and JL animated. Those are the best batman adventures and best batman portrayals for me. But, as good as Conroy is, i now find him lacking. When Batman is just speaking, his voice is great, but he needs to growl more. Nolan had the right idea. Batman is supposed to be a monster, and if you ask me, i would have pissed my pants if i was in Flass' place in Begins. I have seen Batman interrogate in BTAS and JLU and it just wasnt scary enough. Conroy was delivering like he was angry at his wife or something.
Theatricality is all that batman is about. He built this persona to win his fights before they even begin. That's why the nolan way is the right way (they just need to improve upon it).
Bale is a great Bruce Wayne and a great Batman (mostly in Begins for me. He had the mystery, the suit, the disappearing act, the voice). His voice wasnt perfect in TDK, but i personally find bigger flaws in the film to notice that.

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:57 AM   #46
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:

Awesome
It was his Bruce Wayne voice, but he was whispering. He wasnt batman yet. Its the Keaton voice really....
Quote:
Yeah. To me, THAT is a creepy/perfect voice for Batman. Like a calm whisper.
Dont like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerLedger View Post

I feel Rino Romano (is that his name?) did an excellent job as Bats in The Batman... and Diedrich Bader is kicking ass in The Brave and the Bold! Jeremy Sisto was... alright in The New Frontier but still fresh and exciting.
I agree with everything you say. Sisto in the New Frontier was miscast IMHO. And Romano from The Batman had a great, great Batman voice! Especially for a young Batman.

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #47
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Yeah, I can't say I really disagree with anything he said there.

Conroy and Hamill do portray the definitive versions of their characters, IMO.
I don't think there is a definitive version of either character.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #48
bane
TEH PUFFY

Didn't like Conroy's voice in the new Batman game, it was too soft.

Old man look at my life,
I'm alot like you were.
bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #49
deathshead2
Side-Kick

Its crazy all the sudden Conroy hate in here.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #50
Bat-Mite
Side-Kick

The Conroy hate is nothing new. I remember people coming out of the woodwork to bash him when he was announced for Gotham Knight. I guess there really isn't a Batman actor without his share of haters. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. As for this supposed "confident superhero" tone that he apparently has in his voice now... I just watched a portion of Heart of Ice, then went and watched a portion of Gotham Knight and heard no noticeable difference except for when he was talking as Bruce Wayne. Which is understandable, since he is supposed to be playing a younger Bruce there. But other than that, it was the same Batman voice I grew up hearing. When I think of a mega confident superhero, I think of Superman or Mighty Mouse, and Conroy doesn't sound even remotely like that. He just sounds aggressive.

Bat-Mite is offline   Reply With Quote