The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight

Old 10-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #101
Travesty
TEOL

Default Re: Kevin Conroy's thoughts on bale and ledger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatefan View Post

Frankly, this "over-the-top" criticism is kind of hypocritical. If you can buy this guy in a cape and cowl can seem like a scary creature of the night to criminals, why suddenly a growly voice is too over-the-top? The point is not to sound "natural", itīs to project a supernatural beast persona.
He doesn't need to sound like a "supernatural beast persona" while talking to Gordon, Lucius, or anybody he's not meant to intimidate. It was balanced far better in Begins then it was in TDK.

Travesty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #102
Asteroid-Man
Ham Sammiches

Bales voice was best in Batman Begins when he's talking to Flass. When he is talking to Gordon and Joker at the end of TDK it was just awful. Why the hell did they adjust his voice?

Ke tokhme sokhan ra parakandeam.
Posting Since 09/24/05 10:30 am
Asteroid-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #103
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
He doesn't need to sound like a "supernatural beast persona" while talking to Gordon, Lucius, or anybody he's not meant to intimidate. It was balanced far better in Begins then it was in TDK.
Igf you want to create a persona for yourself, it has to be with you at all times as you impersonate it. Like the actor who stays in character throough the whole shooting.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.
ultimatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #104
Timstuff
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid-Man View Post
Bales voice was best in Batman Begins when he's talking to Flass. When he is talking to Gordon and Joker at the end of TDK it was just awful. Why the hell did they adjust his voice?
"The people of this city *inhale* just proved you wrong."

"He destroyed you *inhale* because you were the best of us."

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #105
Hound55
Byfar The Most Evil Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstuff View Post

Hound55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #106
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Igf you want to create a persona for yourself, it has to be with you at all times as you impersonate it. Like the actor who stays in character throough the whole shooting.
Hehe, no he doesn't. You seriously think Batman needs to growl at EVERYBODY he talks to, just so he can "stay in Bat-character"? Bale stayed in character in Begins, yet, he wasn't growling at everybody he talked to. He really only used it when he was trying to intimidate others, but when he talked to Gordon or Rachel, it was more of a deep-whisper then a full on growl.

I understand why Batman should have a different voice then Bruce Wayne, but that doesn't mean his voice has to be so muttled that everybody has a hard time understanding what he's saying. He literally sounded like he had strep-throat and asthma, while he was speaking.

Travesty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #107
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

More like constipation

Ace of Knaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #108
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Did Bale get these kinds of critiques on his voice after BB?
He got some, but nothing of the magnitude it is now. I think it has to do with a few things.

1.) The voice modulation they did in TDK didn't help the problem, it made it worse.
2.) He had less scenes where he used the Bat-voice in TDK. For the first half of the movie he was all Wayne.
3.) TDK was such a big deal that many more people saw it, and so more people were exposed to it.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:02 PM   #109
ultimatefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Hehe, no he doesn't. You seriously think Batman needs to growl at EVERYBODY he talks to, just so he can "stay in Bat-character"? Bale stayed in character in Begins, yet, he wasn't growling at everybody he talked to. He really only used it when he was trying to intimidate others, but when he talked to Gordon or Rachel, it was more of a deep-whisper then a full on growl.

I understand why Batman should have a different voice then Bruce Wayne, but that doesn't mean his voice has to be so muttled that everybody has a hard time understanding what he's saying. He literally sounded like he had strep-throat and asthma, while he was speaking.
In his speech to Gordon at the end, for instance, I didnīt really see this "asthma" thing, there was some growl, but it just made his voice raspy, not beast-like. The same for the bank vault scene. English is not my first language and I still understood everything he said just fine.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
Old 10-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #110
ultimatefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstuff View Post

He was in the middle of a fight with the Joker, who held his throat for a good while, youīd need to inhale to talk too.

Funny thing is, the growl thing didnīt start with him, Keaton started it, he just made it more intense. Donīt tell me Keaton sounds like a "normal person" saying "I`m Batman" because he doesnīt. Granted, most of the time itīs more like a whisper, still very much a forced, "persona" voice.

For some reason, fanboys seem to think itīs more "realistic" to sound like you talked all day and lost your voice...

Last edited by ultimatefan; 10-18-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #111
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
In his speech to Gordon at the end, for instance, I didnīt really see this "asthma" thing, there was some growl, but it just made his voice raspy, not beast-like. The same for the bank vault scene. English is not my first language and I still understood everything he said just fine.
I never had any problem understanding him either. The only person I had trouble understanding was Gordon at the end when he was giving his speech. Not because Oldman speaks strangely but because the music was so loud at my theater.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:11 PM   #112
CJ
Derpy Derp

I really don't get the hate for the Bat-Voice in TDK.

I hated, hated, hated, his Bat-Voice in Begins, but thought his Bat-Voice in TDK was a big improvement. (Especially during the end speech. It was more of a whisper than a grunt) I'd hate for the 3rd Batman to go back to the Begins grunt.

CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #113
CJ
Derpy Derp

Quote:
Then why did Batman speak in his Bruce Wayne voice to Rachel when he said that "He's safe." line?

CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #114
ultimatefan

Whereīs that scene, I donīt remember. If itīs in TDK, Rachel knows his secret identity anyway, so he doensīt need to hide or to project his persona to her.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:12 AM   #115
VenomVsSpidey
Banned User

Quote:
He was in the middle of a fight with the Joker, who held his throat for a good while, youīd need to inhale to talk too.

Funny thing is, the growl thing didnīt start with him, Keaton started it, he just made it more intense. Donīt tell me Keaton sounds like a "normal person" saying "I`m Batman" because he doesnīt. Granted, most of the time itīs more like a whisper, still very much a forced, "persona" voice.

For some reason, fanboys seem to think itīs more "realistic" to sound like you talked all day and lost your voice...

Quote:
I never had any problem understanding him either. The only person I had trouble understanding was Gordon at the end when he was giving his speech. Not because Oldman speaks strangely but because the music was so loud at my theater.
hans zimmer FTW!!

VenomVsSpidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #116
Crook
Banned User

Quote:
Whereīs that scene, I donīt remember. If itīs in TDK, Rachel knows his secret identity anyway, so he doesnīt need to hide or to project his persona to her.
Calling for Alfred's help in BB? The cellular imaging room with Lucius in TDK?

As for the scene in question, it was in TDK where they land on the car after the freefall rescue. Bats hardly speaks the line, it was more of a whisper.

Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #117
KILLING JOKER
Anything but side-kick

One thing that slightly bothered me about Bale in TDK was not just the voice in parts but the fact that he seemed to be using over-exagerated mouth movements. Particularly during the last scene with Gordon "You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villian."

I love TDK and I think it works on nearly all levels but I have to admit that the voice and Bales mouth movements were distracting at times. Like Nolan should have choosen another take. But obviously that's what he wanted.

KILLING JOKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #118
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Kevin Conroy was pretty much correct in what he had to say. Although I'm not as sunny about Bale's Bruce Wayne as he is.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #119
gazzilla8000
Side-Kick

The reason Batman's voice sounds different at the end of TDK is because he has been shot and fallen off a building (or if we're discussing the Joker scene, he has just been savagely beaten). It was a rough night for Bats.

And the reason he keeps his "bat-voice" when he talks to Rachel is that its not just a digusie for him, its a persona. He is Batman all night, not just when he is around other people. Its a frame of mind he puts himself into, keeps him sharp.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #120
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

After watching that video on the Hype's front page. I can say that one positive of Bale's batvoice is that it can be hilariously spoofed.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #121
VenomVsSpidey
Banned User

Quote:
After watching that video on the Hype's front page. I can say that one positive of Bale's batvoice is that it can be hilariously spoofed.
can we trust harvey dent? can we trust harvey dent? can we trust harvey dent? can we trust harvey dent? can we trust harvey dent? can we trust harvey dent? can we trust harvey dent? can we trust harvey dent? can we trust harvey dent?

no, wait...don't look yet...

but I agree. bale's voice don't bother meh!

Old 10-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #122
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomvsspidey View Post
can we trust harvey dent? can we trust harvey dent? can we trust harvey dent? can we trust harvey dent? can we trust harvey dent? can we trust harvey dent? can we trust harvey dent? can we trust harvey dent? can we trust harvey dent?

no, wait...don't look yet...
I found evidence...

Quote:
but I agree. bale's voice don't bother meh!

Old 10-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #123
VenomVsSpidey
Banned User

Quote:
I found evidence...

&

"can you keep the light on? I dropped my wallet..."

Old 10-29-2009, 07:12 AM   #124
ultimatefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
Calling for Alfred's help in BB? The cellular imaging room with Lucius in TDK?

As for the scene in question, it was in TDK where they land on the car after the freefall rescue. Bats hardly speaks the line, it was more of a whisper.
He was still out in the street when he called Alfred, and he had to be loud. If we think of the different personas of Batman, when he was talking to Rachel it was a more emotional, personal moment, it was more Bruce Wayne than Batman - plus he had just had a big fall - when he was talkiing to Lucius, he was talking as Batman.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #125
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomvsspidey View Post
&

"can you keep the light on? I dropped my wallet..."
I liked how Gordon was trying to help him out, looking the other way for long periods of time so Batman could try to leave, and saying "Thanks Batman, we would've never found that evidence without you."