Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Sony

Old 03-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #51
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: PS3 motion wand controllers

Nice article by Stephen Totilo.

Quote:
I just played SOCOM 4 with the newly-named PlayStation Move controller. And now I know how the PlayStation 3's motion-sensitive controller is not just a me-too Wii controller.
-Fewer buttons: The Move controller is actually even more streamlined than the Wii Remote. Nintendo's Remote still offers/confuses a new player with a d-pad, plus, A, minus, 1 and 2 buttons as well as a home button and B trigger. The Move has its own home button and underbelly trigger, but just five other points of button input. That makes the controller actually feel a little naked and therefore likely even less daunting to a new player — unless they need their controllers to look like TV remotes.
-No wasted batteries: The Wii remote sucks up AA battery juice. The Move and its companion sub-controller are rechargeable via the same mini-USB connection used to charge the PS3's main controller.
-A smarter controller: I played SOCOM 4, a third person-shooter, with the Move pointed at the TV like a gun and the sub-controller in my left hand to command character movement. Wii games that were controlled with Remote and Nunchuk could be befuddled if the player pointed the Remote away from the screen. If you were playing a shooter and aimed just off the screen, the game's camera might start spinning or the game would pause and ask for the player to point at the TV again. The combination of camera sensors — the Sony Eyetoy on top of the TV detects the presence of the Move — and a gyroscope prevented SOCOM 4 from getting confused. When I moved my controller to point off of the TV, the gyroscopic sensors kept track of my movement. The same thing happened when a SOCOM developer blocked the Eyetoy camera. The precision of the controller diminishes in these situation. but the PS3 doesn't lose track of the device.
-No wire!: The Wii Remote and Nunchuk are tethered by a short cable. The PS3 Move and its subcontroller are not.
-No off-hand gyro: The Wii Nunchuk has a sensor that detects motion, more crudely than does the Remote. The PS3's version of the Nunchuk, does not have a motion sensor, according to a developer I was speaking to. There's a chance that is not final, but that is the case with the controllers at Sony's showcase event today. But that's why two-handed boxing-style games were shown with two Moves. On the Wii, those kinds of games are handled, with supposedly less precision, with a Remote and Nunchuk.
-The colored ball: The colorful sphere at the pointing end of the Move is the thing that the PlayStation Eye uses to detect the presence of the Move. The color changes. In the demo I played with SOCOM 4, the sphere was orange. Why? Because the software detected that there was no orange in the background. If we had been in a different room, the color would be different. The Wii's signature hue may be white, but this varying color at the end of the Move will likely prove to be the Move's visual trademark.
Those are the differences, all less obvious than the similarities. The PS3 Move is being shown to support shooters and table tennis, fistfighting and co-op platforming. These may be familiar templates to Wii gamers who have sampled Metroid, Wii Sports, and Super Mario Galaxy. But at the nitty-gritty level, some of the PS3 Move's difference offer some nice feature improvements — maybe a drawback or two — and something that isn't quite the Wii-too it appears to be at first glance.
And, hey, the Sony person showing me SOCOM didn't even make me wear the controller's wrist strap. A Nintendo person would never let me get away with that.
The Move is out this fall, price and launch games to be announced
http://kotaku.com/5490574/how-the-pl...t-a-wii-remote

I'm not sold on it, but I'd like to try it out at least.

IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII
IIII
KALEL114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #52
Havok83
Side-Kick

It looked better than I expected. I liked the demo presentation and look of the thing

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #53
The Guardian
Forever In Darkness

Re: PS3 motion wand controllers

I really liked what I saw, the precision was awesome, SOCOM 4 on the MOVE, I like it, sign me up!!!

The Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #54
Havok83
Side-Kick

I liked that Sony mentioned Nintendo in theri conference and said positive things about them. Very classy move

Old 03-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #55
Superhero 101
DESI

still don't like the big colorful ball thing

Old 03-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #56
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Thank you freaking god that there will be a nunchuck.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #57
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Analog, rumble, now remote+nunchuk motion controls.

Spidey-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #58
The Guardian
Forever In Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
I liked that Sony mentioned Nintendo in theri conference and said positive things about them. Very classy move
Agreed, it's one of the reasons I like them so much, it's important to me!!!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #59
Brainiac 8
Clark Smash!

Heh...

Old 03-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #60
The Guardian
Forever In Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac 8 View Post
Heh...

BWAHAHAHAHAHA, post of the month dude, nicely done LOL!!!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #61
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian View Post
Agreed, it's one of the reasons I like them so much, it's important to me!!!
same here. In the past they might have mentioned Nintendo and bashed them as away to make themselves look better. I HATE when companies do that. Instead right here the acknowledged Nintendo's inspiration and contribution to the industry and focused on their own product's strengths

Im really confused on these bundles. Will the Sub-controller be sold with the Move? Will 2 Moves be sold together, bc it looks like alot of the games require 2 for use. And then theres the issue of the PS Eye as some already have it and dont need an extra. Plus they are selling at least the first batches with a free game (most likely shovelware) Pricing can be very reasonable or very expensive based on how they do this.

I also wonder if they will bundle this with the PS3? I can see a $299 normal PS3 and a $399 PS3 Move bundle

Old 03-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #62
SuperHeroHype
SHH! Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Will the Eye be made available wireless? My Playstation is in the back of our movie room and I wouldn't be able to move it to the front to hook it up to the Eye.

SuperHeroHype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:37 AM   #63
Havok83
Side-Kick

When the PlayStation Move is released later this year, it won't just be Sony making games for the thing. A grand total of 36 third-party publishers are also signed up to develop games for the motion-sensing peripheral.
That tally includes some big names, like Capcom, Activision, Sega, EA, Konami, Square Enix and Ubisoft, and some not so big names (but welcome additions) like Crave, Marvelous and the Q twins, Q-Games and Q Entertainment.

The full list of publishers supporting the Move is below.
* 505 Games U.S.
* Activision Publishing, Inc.
* AQ INTERACTIVE Inc.
* ARC SYSTEMS WORK CO.,LTD
* ATLUS Co., LTD.
* Bigben Interactive
* CAPCOM CO., LTD.
* CCP
* Crave Entertainment
* CYBERFRONT Corporation
* Disney Interactive Studios
* Electronic Arts Inc.
* FromSoftware, Inc.
* Game Republic, Inc.
* GUST CO., LTD.
* HUDSON SOFT CO., LTD.
* IREM SOFTWARE ENGINEERING INC.
* Koei Co., Ltd.
* Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
* Majesco Entertainment
* Marvelous Entertainment Inc.
* NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc.
* ONGAKUKAN Co., Ltd.
* Oxygen Games
* PAON CORPORATION
* Q Entertainment Inc.
* Q-GAMES, LTD.
* SEGA CORPORATION
* Sony Online Entertainment
* Spike Co., Ltd.
* SQUARE ENIX GROUP
* TECMO, LTD.
* THQ Inc.
* UBISOFT
* Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
* Zoo Entertainment, Inc.

http://kotaku.com/5490698/these-comp...aystation-move

Old 03-11-2010, 06:40 AM   #64
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero Hype! View Post
Will the Eye be made available wireless? My Playstation is in the back of our movie room and I wouldn't be able to move it to the front to hook it up to the Eye.
I don't think so, but it would be good if it did for people like yourself.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:47 AM   #65
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro UK View Post
I don't think so, but it would be good if it did for people like yourself.
I think its something the need to consider considering in the newer PS3s they removed the 2 extra USB slots. With the Eye being mandatory, that only leaves one slot and now this becomes a serious issue. Yes people can buy adapters to add more slots, but it would be nice if Sony addressed it

Old 03-11-2010, 06:55 AM   #66
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

I hope so too, don't get me wrong. They brought us wireless Buzz and Singstar mics, so maybe there still is a shot at it.

The more I think about Move, the more I realise I'd rather they'd just invested the countless millions they already have into more hardcore exclusives. Sure, we've got got tonnes of great exclusives now, but we could got 8 Days, which looked awesome, and a bunch of other cool games.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:58 AM   #67
Fading
>:(

To be honest, seeing this and hearing the new info does have me closer to buying it.

IMO, I think the PS3 has a possible leg up over the Wii in this case of not only hardware, but there being multiple input device methods. Tho to be fair I give the Wii the leg up in some of the software, not the shovelware, but the Mario's and Zelda's, with the Wii's set up Nintendo can use it's mascot's to push the motion controls where Sony might not be able to risk their premiere titles with an added on feature.

With the Wii, motion controls are THE main method of input, and developers making a game on it almost having to use the motion controls whether they want to or not, sometimes making the controls seem twitchy or tacked on, or just making pure shovelware. With the Move, it seems like developers making the games will make them specifically to take advantage of the Move itself, and can be creative about it. From what I'm gathering you can use any combination of 1 or 2 Move's, 1 or 2 of the nunchucks, or toss in a regular controller. Then there's the hardware, with the games being able to show greater detail and having more processing power, which could open up to some really good gaming experiences the Wii hardware couldn't allow.

Where the Wii didn't sell me as a console that is about motion controls, the Move might sell me as it's only part of what the PS3 is about if that makes any sense. However, that's IF Sony markets and uses the Move right instead of treating it like it has so many of it's other peripherals. Sony needs to find a balance, and not make every game HAVE to use the move, but also not tossing it to the side. I'd really like if most games would give you the option of using it, atleast FPS's, RTS's, and maybe even RPG's like Demon's Souls.

BTW, is the $100 for everything? Like I said, I'm leaning towards buying it, but not entirely sold. If the $100 was just for 1 Move and a nunchuck, I'm not sure. However if they toss in the Eye as well I'd be more inclined since I don't have one already.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:06 AM   #68
Fading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro UK View Post
I hope so too, don't get me wrong. They brought us wireless Buzz and Singstar mics, so maybe there still is a shot at it.

The more I think about Move, the more I realise I'd rather they'd just invested the countless millions they already have into more hardcore exclusives. Sure, we've got got tonnes of great exclusives now, but we could got 8 Days, which looked awesome, and a bunch of other cool games.
I'd agree, but IMO the Move was kind of a needed attempt. Not saying I want gaming to move towards motion controls only, because I don't. I just mean that that first steps needed, so if it turns out motion control is needed/in demand in the future Sony will already have a foot in the door. Like with the Guncon or Eye, neither is used well, but they're there if the need ever arises. I would rather buy a string of new awesome IP's over the Move, but at the same time the Move can add a new dimension to the PS3 that it didn't have the ability to use before.

Not saying that to defend the Move as much as I'm not really into motion controls as much, but saying I see the reason for constantly adding new features and using R&D time on things like this.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #69
Havok83
Side-Kick

The Move looks ALOT more comfortable to hold than the Wii-mote. Ive always hated the block shape of that thing and its not comfortable to hold especially with the placement of the buttons. Its odd to me

Did they drop the R1 button on this thing? In othe pics I saw all the current buttons except for the R1 and R3/L3

Old 03-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #70
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadingCB View Post
BTW, is the $100 for everything? Like I said, I'm leaning towards buying it, but not entirely sold. If the $100 was just for 1 Move and a nunchuck, I'm not sure. However if they toss in the Eye as well I'd be more inclined since I don't have one already.
The $100 is for one Move controller, PS3 Eye, and a game. It does not include the nunchuck, from what I understand. I'm curious to see what the Move controller is priced at by itself, since I already have the Eye.

IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII
IIII

Last edited by KALEL114; 03-11-2010 at 07:44 AM.
KALEL114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #71
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALEL114 View Post
The $100 is for one Move controller, PS3 Eye, and a game. It does not include the nunchuck, from what I understand. I'm curious to see what the Move controller is priced at by itself, since I already have the Eye.
I think either $40 or $50, most likely the latter. The thing Nintendo has always had going for it is that its inexepensive. If Sony wants this to penetrate the market, I think they may have to take a hit on pricing

Old 03-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #72
Fading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
I think either $40 or $50, most likely the latter. The thing Nintendo has always had going for it is that its inexepensive. If Sony wants this to penetrate the market, I think they may have to take a hit on pricing
Yeah, I'd much rather see $25 for the Move and the nunchuck, and $50 for the bundle with the Eye. That way buying extra controllers wouldn't be as much of a pain for something you're not even sure you'll enjoy more than a few months. I was never a fan of the PS3 controllers being $50 either tho. Never felt a controller should cost as much as a game.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #73
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gd...he-shoot/62981

The Shoot footage, basically a light gun game. Honestly, the G-Con Gun was the peak of this genre, and motion controls have just made it feel... less authentic. You can't line up sights properly etc, it's essentially like playing it with a mouse.

That said, if they're planning to port Dead Space: Extraction over to PSN with HD visuals, then I'll buy that again.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #74
Havok83
Side-Kick

PLAYSTATION®MOVE MOTION CONTROLLER

The corner stone of PlayStation Move, PlayStation Move motion controller combines advanced motion sensors, a dynamic color changing sphere, vibration feedback, and an easy to use button interface. Equipped with three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer and terrestrial magnetic field sensor, PlayStation Move motion controller tracks the precise movements and the angle of the controller. The PS3 system also detects the absolute position of the controller in 3D space by using PlayStation Eye camera. Highly sensitive movement tracking can be accurately traced back to the game, allowing intuitive gameplay as if the player is within the game.

Key Features
  • Works with PlayStation Eye camera to accurately track player position
  • Includes action buttons of DUALSHOCK®3 and SIXAXIS® wireless controller for direct input
  • Sleek and Wireless
  • Built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery
  • Advanced motion sensors in the controller precisely track both fast and subtle movements
  • Color of the sphere's light provides visual feedback during gameplay
  • Vibration feedback is felt during specific actions
  • Bluetooth® technology supports wireless gaming
  • Simultaneously use up to four motion controllers with a PS3 system
  • Charge the controller and automatically pair it with the PS3 system via a USB cable (Type A - Mini-B)

PLAYSTATION®MOVE SUB-CONTROLLER

PlayStation Move sub controller is a supplementary controller, developed to further expand the experience that PlayStation Move games can offer. It can be used in most PlayStation Move games that require navigating an in-game character as it replicates the control features of the left side of DUALSHOCK 3 and SIXAXIS wireless controller into one’s PlayStation Move experience. PlayStation Move sub controller adds an analog stick, directional buttons and two face buttons into the PlayStation Move's control scheme. In addition, the sub-controller contains the L1 button, L2 button and L3 button for actions and commands common in advanced gaming.

Key Features
  • Wireless control completely untethered from PlayStation Move motion controller
  • Intuitive navigation of in-game characters
  • Easy and intuitive XMBTM menu navigation
  • Built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery
  • Charge the controller and automatically pair it with the PS3 system via a USB cable (Type A - Mini-B)
  • Sleek curved body design that easily pairs with the motion controller
Note: DUALSHOCK 3 and SIXAXIS wireless controller can be used in place of the sub controller for all games that are compatible with the sub controller

Old 03-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #75
Isildur´s Heir
What are you looking at?

I hate the name, Playstation Move.....not that i´m expecting for Project Natal to have a better name (it might be way worst), but i don´t like it.
As for the rest, imo, it´s what i was expecting, nothing more nothing less.
It´s very Wii like, which is not a bad thing, because you can port Wii name to the PS3 (the first port announced is Aragorn´s Quest), but it makes it unoriginal, which can hurt in sales because people already have a Wii.
Another thing good about it being similar to the Wii is that developers know how to make game for the Nintendo console, so, it´s easier for them to think about ways to use the PS Move.

All in all, it´s what i was expecting, an update on the Wii, but still very Nintendo like nontheless.
It can be great or garbage, depending on the games and how they use it (the same can be said about Natal), but i still see more potential for the Microsoft one.