The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should Superman be a dark character?
NO WAY!!! 3 33.33%
Yes. It would be interesting. 3 33.33%
Combination of light and dark. 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #26
afan
Side-Kick

Default Re: Should Superman be dark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
Well depending on what is technically meant by the word 'dark'... No

Heck I personally thought the Superman in SR was too 'dark' (by my definition of the word anyway) with all the stalking & 'feel sorry for me I'm Superman' moments.
Heaven forbid if they actually tried to make the character 'dark' we'd probably have Superman who interogates people by throwing them accross America & catching them on the other side

To me as a film Se7en was dark. Hence if this thread's intent is to propose a dark Superman film. Then NO!

Old 10-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #27
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I wouldnt mind it starting out out all bright and cheery like S:TM or spider-man, but it gets dark when an alien threat like Brainiac or Darkseid invades. Even then you could have Superman remain bright and hopeful.
He would be the one constant, the one bright hope in the Dark.
If not for Superman the earth would give up in the face of such a threat.
thats how i would want it.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #28
Rodrigo90
Creepy Bat

I understand that. Just keep the character grounded to what he is and whats he meant to be. I guess you shouldnt change his personality for the movie. Just make the world or situation he is in dark.

I dont want him to be like Santa Clause or Jesus though. Im actually intrigued about that idea of having him as an Angry God.

Last edited by Rodrigo90; 10-01-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #29
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Dark is like "realistic", everyone has their idea what that is.

However, Superman does have a fair bit of tragedy to him. His homeworld was destroyed, his parents killed, he lives on a planet where he's unlike anyone else (at least until other Kryptonians start showing up).

The series does have some dark moments. But that doesn't make Superman himself dark.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #30
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Morphing Superman into a dark character would be like recasting Lassie with a Rottweiler.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #31
Rodrigo90
Creepy Bat

Well. How about. A reboot. Staring Brandon Routh.

Clark Kent arrives in Metropolis. The city is abysmal. Bit like Gotham City. Due to the economic crisis,crime is WAY up. The people look up to the citys leading citizen,Lex Luthor. In the public eye,Lex is a good,honest and trustworthy guy. But behind closed doors. His Company is running dangeroua,cruel and illegal experiments and he is an evil S.O.B.

Clark takes a job at the Daily Planet. Which is in financial difficulty. Perry White is hard on the bottle because of this. Clark partners up with Lois Lane. Lois is dating Lex(to get concrete evidence for his crimes)!

The villains are Lex. Bizarro and Metallo.

Due to Supermans arrival it inspires Metropolis and all of its citizens. The Daily Planet regains its reputation,thanks to Superman also.

Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #32
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

I'd think it's best to recast for a reboot...especially the lead....to make it that much clearer that they're starting over. It's a tough break for Routh because he did okay with what he was given, and he's a nice kid who represented the franchise well. But he seems to be doing fine with getting other roles, so best to move on from top to bottom.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 10-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #33
GreenKToo
In the fire

The way its looking they'll be no choice but to recast....Routh will probably be too old when the next one comes around lol.
Yes I kid, but it will be awhile yet though.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #34
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Well. How about. A reboot. Staring Brandon Routh.

Clark Kent arrives in Metropolis. The city is abysmal. Bit like Gotham City. Due to the economic crisis,crime is WAY up. The people look up to the citys leading citizen,Lex Luthor. In the public eye,Lex is a good,honest and trustworthy guy. But behind closed doors. His Company is running dangeroua,cruel and illegal experiments and he is an evil S.O.B.

Clark takes a job at the Daily Planet. Which is in financial difficulty. Perry White is hard on the bottle because of this. Clark partners up with Lois Lane. Lois is dating Lex(to get concrete evidence for his crimes)!

The villains are Lex. Bizarro and Metallo.

Due to Supermans arrival it inspires Metropolis and all of its citizens. The Daily Planet regains its reputation,thanks to Superman also.
Metropolis shouldn't be like Gotham. It ought to be light and beautiful on the outside, but rotting within. Clark takes a job at the DP to help expose Luthor's corruption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
The way its looking they'll be no choice but to recast....Routh will probably be too old when the next one comes around lol.
Yes I kid, but it will be awhile yet though.
This is completely true. I liked Routh a lot but I've given up on seeing him as Superman again.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #35
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

rachael you do have a point with how metropolis should be seen. But it could be interesting to see the city dark at the start and superman makes it into the city of tomorrow deal through new series.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 10-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #36
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

It can be dark in terms of worldwide destruction.....like.....

http://www.2012trailer.com/

Old 10-01-2009, 11:44 PM   #37
Bren
Forevernoob

I think the question here is really, can a Superman movie be 'dark', and not 'should Superman be dark'.

I could handle the first, but never the 2nd. And Superman being utterly spitting mad (how I wish for the day) is not 'dark' imo. And righteous anger mind, not angsty or pent-up or whatever anger !
I see a busted-up Superman, all bruised and battered, (as he would have to be at some point) see Lois' fear because, quite frankly, there's noone else and he's been beaten down bad.

He looks at her deeply, seeing her fear. Gets up. Smiles his Clark Kent smile, tells her he won't let her (the Earth) down.
Flies up, smiling down at her. Looking at the land underneath, then oceans, thinks "my planet". Smile drops, thinks "my world", anger sets in, mouths softly "my home". Eyes start burning red..... And goes and saves the world.

(later that CK smile 'clicks' and she knows)

Cliched, I think, but get some better writers to lead up to and polish the scene and I think it'd work.

Last edited by Bren; 10-01-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:03 AM   #38
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I think the question here is really, can a Superman movie be 'dark', and not 'should Superman be dark'.

I could handle the first, but never the 2nd. And Superman being utterly spitting mad (how I wish for the day) is not 'dark' imo. And righteous anger mind, not angsty or pent-up or whatever anger !
I see a busted-up Superman, all bruised and battered, (as he would have to be at some point) see Lois' fear because, quite frankly, there's noone else and he's been beaten down bad.

He looks at her deeply, seeing her fear. Gets up. Smiles his Clark Kent smile, tells her he won't let her (the Earth) down.
Flies up, smiling down at her. Looking at the land underneath, then oceans, thinks "my planet". Smile drops, thinks "my world", anger sets in, mouths softly "my home". Eyes start burning red..... And goes and saves the world.

(later that CK smile 'clicks' and she knows)

Cliched, I think, but get some better writers to lead up to and polish the scene and I think it'd work.
A dark film cannot have a happy ending!

I agree an angry Superman is not a dark Superman, it's how he might resolve his anger that places him on the dark side.
Didn't we see an angry Man of Steel in S:TM when Lois died.
Also there are many instances in the George Reeves TV series where Superman is angered.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #39
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

superman himself dhouldnt be dark but certain elements around him should be though.

Gamma Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #40
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

i think we can all agree on that.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 11-03-2009, 12:47 AM   #41
mothy
Side-Kick

a reboot, though, is certainly much more exciting and allows a blank slate on which to create a new superman universe.

my one worry is that wb has publically stated their mandate to push all their superhero franchises into dark territory following the dark knight. i'm not sure a dark, gritty superman is what people are looking for. it could be done (a launching point for the tone could be the graphic novel lex luthor: man of steel), but do people really want it?

superman isn't a dark character and shouldn't be treated as such.

as for a black suit? i think that's a terrible move, especially since it smacks so much of straining to make superman "dark and gritty." it just feels forced, even if the story warrants it in some fashion. superman needs the red and blue. you can adjust the costume to make it more regal and such (and i would... there was a kind of "ultimate" costume design that was floated a while back, and it was terrific), but a black costume goes too far.

superman has to inspire hope. it's his main angle. which is why a black costume goes so much against that. a black costume doesn't inspire hope in people. it makes superman look like a villain. it's why you can't go "black superman" without ruining what the character's about.

mothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:06 AM   #42
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

like others have said, superman shouldnt be dark. The world(before he cleans it up) should be a bit dark light, and their should be some dark/mature themes/threats by the villain. I doubt they would go black full on costume for superman.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 11-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #43
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothy View Post
as for a black suit? i think that's a terrible move, especially since it smacks so much of straining to make superman "dark and gritty." it just feels forced, even if the story warrants it in some fashion. superman needs the red and blue. you can adjust the costume to make it more regal and such (and i would... there was a kind of "ultimate" costume design that was floated a while back, and it was terrific), but a black costume goes too far.

superman has to inspire hope. it's his main angle. which is why a black costume goes so much against that. a black costume doesn't inspire hope in people. it makes superman look like a villain. it's why you can't go "black superman" without ruining what the character's about.
Unless Tim Burton comes back to direct the next film, I really doubt Superman'll be getting a black suit. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:30 PM   #44
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

F**k no... is my answer to this thread's question.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:23 PM   #45
Fresh Prince
Banned User

Tim Burton should never direct Superman...And Smallville is the cloest thing to a dark Superman.

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #46
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Superman should NEVER, EVER, be dark!!

Let me repeat that.....Superman should NEVER, EVER, be dark!!

Superman is NOT a dark character. He is not Batman, Wolverine, Punisher, or some violent, fight-happy character who enjoys bashing heads in.

Superman is a positive, optimistic, upbeat character.....he sees the good in people and in humanity.....and inspires that through his own actions.....he is a symbol of light and hope.

Now...this is not to say that the world around him can't be dark. Or that his villains and the threats he faces can't be dark and serious. They can....as long as they serve to contrast with Superman....who is the beacon of hope and light against that darkness.

This is also not to say Superman can't have a serious side or can't have any bad ass moments. When the situation warrants, Superman can ( and should ) let loose and give the bad guy a royal beat down that only Superman can deliver ( think Superman vs. Darkseid in the JLA animated series ). But, this should only be used as a last resort.

IF Superman is portrayed as dark....it should only be because of some outside influence ( mind control, Red Kryptonite, etc. ), and it should further show how good and pure the REAL Superman is........

Superman does NOT need to be dark and edgy to be "cool."

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #47
The Guard
Side-Kick

I disagree.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #48
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well he brought out some good points there?

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 11-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #49
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

In a word, no, Superman just isnt a dark character and never really has been, so suddenly showing him as dark would turn a lot of people off. Hell, SR did certain minor things against the Superman norm and people couldnt get past it, so making him dark is simply a big no no.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #50
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yes superman doesnt need to be dark himself, just the world/the villains, and the threats they cause should be the dark stuff in a film. With superman like others have said being the light to goodness and all that.

www.ItsJustMovies.com