The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 10-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #51
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Default Re: Could Parasite work as a stand alone villain?

mongul/darkseid/doomsday........

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #52
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

The stakes could be of a different form for starters. Lex could be a well liked public figure and after the events of the first movie people may not trust superman all that much since brainiac really questions peoples trust of aliens. Lex could use that to his advantage and turn the public against him. He could create metallo and parasite. Superman would be fighting to expose lex's true plans (whatever those may be) and thats where you could focus on the growth of clark as a reporter and strengthen the relationship between him and lois. The possiblities are endless, it just takes a bit of imagination.

solidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #53
Fresh Prince
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
Yes please!

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #54
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
So after an alien invasion story, you will do, another alien invasion story? Seems redundant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake86 View Post
The stakes could be of a different form for starters. Lex could be a well liked public figure and after the events of the first movie people may not trust superman all that much since brainiac really questions peoples trust of aliens. Lex could use that to his advantage and turn the public against him. He could create metallo and parasite. Superman would be fighting to expose lex's true plans (whatever those may be) and thats where you could focus on the growth of clark as a reporter and strengthen the relationship between him and lois. The possiblities are endless, it just takes a bit of imagination.
So you go from an epic alien invasion story, to superman fighting street level villains? That seems like a downgrade in terms the danger superman faces.

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #55
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

^so what is it that your looking for? The bottom line is superman doesn't have the luxury of beginning the franchise with yet another lex luthor story and then waiting for an epic sequel that may or may not happen. If and when another superman film is made it has to be big.

Batman begins had Ras' al ghul trying to destroy the whole city with fear toxin. Joker blowing up a few things is a downgrade in terms of danger, all that matters is the context with which it was used. Using Parasite and Metallo, just looking at there power set, could create an interesting set of danger that brainiac doesnt bring. It just takes some creative writing.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #56
The Guard
Side-Kick

I'm using Intergang and its trappings for the main conflict in the first story, and building the "alien threat" themes as the series progresses. In three stories its going to be Man VS Man, Man VS Nature, Man VS Evil God.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #57
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm glad you agree, obviously it could be done anyway but thats what I would really like to see. In a perfect world where SR didnt use lex luthor I would have liked to have him in the origin film, but lex is a character that if written properly, can be as great of a villain as the joker, he just needs a rest for now.

Honestly its not that hard to come up with a kick ass trilogy, superman has the villains, he just needs someone with common sense to create this type of story.
In my mind, if Lex Luthor is written the right way, the audience is much more inclined to HATE Luthor, were in the back of most peoples minds they were loving the Joker. Which is why I want Jason Isaacs to play Lex, he is so easy to hate.

LOST- 2004-2010: "The most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people. "

Best comic film of all time. The Dark Knight Rises!

NotFadeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #58
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

whos to say if brainiac was used in first film he would be a full on alien invasion. It could just be himself and maybe a few drones(if they take robot route) with him. Compared to doing darseid which he has his minions and those winged fighter guys. Darkseid would be a full on invasion. Brainiac could be done in a different fashion. Yea lex is also a key player for superman plus we never gotten to see his corp/political stuff in a big live action film only animated and things in lois and clark/smallville. Written differently then the simple con man lex could make people care about him more and love to hate him.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 10-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #59
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
If Brainiac is the main villain for the first movie, how are you supposed to raise the stakes for the second movie?
Totally different threats.

I would use the Lex Luthor: Man of Steel idea that Lex see's himself as more of a savior to humanity, while Superman is the true threat. And thats why I want Luthor to have political aspirations, I loved the President Lex Luthor storyline and I don't think it was used to it's fullest potential. As the franchise spawned sequels, Luthor would move higher and higher up the political ladder, with most of the country blind to his evil, although Lex wouldn't see himself as evil in the slightest. My Luthor would almost be like a modern day Adolf Hitler, and the battle between Luthor and Superman would be for the soul of humanity.

LOST- 2004-2010: "The most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people. "

Old 10-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #60
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

Lex luthor is a powerful villain in that he truly believes he is right and that superman is a threat. Using Lex Luthor: Man of Steel like you said NotFadeAway and other stories like president lex luthor as a basis you can really have him be a major threat. How does superman fight a villain that the public thinks is a good guy, thats a great story ready to be told.

Villains like darkseid for me personally have no purpose in a superman story because they really don't provide much in terms of growth for clark kent and superman as a character besides him beating the crap out of stuff. Villains like darkseid and mongul would be just a rehash of brainiac.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #61
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

Quote:
Lex luthor is a powerful villain in that he truly believes he is right and that superman is a threat. Using Lex Luthor: Man of Steel like you said NotFadeAway and other stories like president lex luthor as a basis you can really have him be a major threat. How does superman fight a villain that the public thinks is a good guy, thats a great story ready to be told.

Villains like darkseid for me personally have no purpose in a superman story because they really don't provide much in terms of growth for clark kent and superman as a character besides him beating the crap out of stuff. Villains like darkseid and mongul would be just a rehash of brainiac.

Is it possible, have I finally found someone who gets the direction I want to see taken with this franchise?

Last edited by NotFadeAway; 10-15-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: jjjj
Old 10-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #62
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well it would still be good to see characters like mongul/darkseid get their shots in live action forms. They could be good stories with the right script.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 10-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #63
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFadeAway View Post
Is it possible, have I finally found someone who gets the direction I want to see taken with this franchise?
Here's the thing, I think SR was able to accomplish one thing in that people wouldnt mind seeing a reboot now. Let's face it, with STM lingering in everyones nostalgic minds as the greatest thing ever and un-topable a reboot would probably have not been as well received. So I'm saying if your gonna reboot the thing, reboot it properly now, everyones over Donner's franchise. Let's not use these these half ass'd "lets introduce the legion/lets do a time travel story like star trek so we can hold on to STM" so that we see him return to the screen as fast as possible.

We have great sources to pull from including S:TAS, Man of Steel, Birthright, Secret Origin, For All seasons. All its gonna take is one writer to take elements that worked from each book and throw out the ones that didnt (im looking at you soul vision, or some of Byrnes more controversial things) and create one cohesive and interesting origin story. Its what goyer did with batman, and it wasn't all that hard. It's almost what Johns is doing now in secret origin, he's not really servicing any one particular era or pushing his own thing in that first issue so I'm excited to see if that continues.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #64
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

will be great if someone could do that.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 10-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #65
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

Quote:
Here's the thing, I think SR was able to accomplish one thing in that people wouldnt mind seeing a reboot now. Let's face it, with STM lingering in everyones nostalgic minds as the greatest thing ever and un-topable a reboot would probably have not been as well received. So I'm saying if your gonna reboot the thing, reboot it properly now, everyones over Donner's franchise. Let's not use these these half ass'd "lets introduce the legion/lets do a time travel story like star trek so we can hold on to STM" so that we see him return to the screen as fast as possible.

We have great sources to pull from including S:TAS, Man of Steel, Birthright, Secret Origin, For All seasons. All its gonna take is one writer to take elements that worked from each book and throw out the ones that didnt (im looking at you soul vision, or some of Byrnes more controversial things) and create one cohesive and interesting origin story. Its what goyer did with batman, and it wasn't all that hard. It's almost what Johns is doing now in secret origin, he's not really servicing any one particular era or pushing his own thing in that first issue so I'm excited to see if that continues.
Agreed with the first paragraph.

With the new origin flick, I would use the combination of TAS, Birthright, and For All Seasons. For the pre-Superman Clark Kent portion of the film, I would mix Birthright and For All Seasons, and for the Krypton and Metropolis portions I would draw from TAS.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #66
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
will be great if someone could do that.
(Coughs)

And if I'm right
Old 10-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #67
Superman Prime

So how's the script coming along, Guard? I can tell from your posts that you manage to possess both a down-to-earth view, and an active imagination. Plus you seem to know your Superman. Sounds like the ideal combination to me.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #68
The Guard
Side-Kick

It's not coming as well as I'd like. Just shamelessly self promoting. Been busy with a show I'm in the last month or so. About 20 pages into the script, though. So...1/7th of the way through it, more or less.

It does and is going to draw from everything. Fleischer, Pre-Crisis, Post Crisis, STAS, MAN OF STEEL, BIRTHRIGHT, FOR ALL SEASONS, PEACE ON EARTH, a smidgen of RED SON, SMALLVILLE, LOIS AND CLARK, and just the general lore. Heavy on a few the Byrne influences in a lot of ways, as I'm a child of the 80's and 90's, and I feel a lot of those stories defined not so much Superman, but Superman's world, and not so much in others.

And if I'm right

Last edited by The Guard; 10-16-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #69
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

This is what i would really want to see the next guys invovled with superman do.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 10-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #70
batman44
Go Speed GO

What elements of Red Son would you use Guard? I'm alittle curious.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
batman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:29 AM   #71
The Guard
Side-Kick

The whole "Earth is Krypton" thing. But not like his version.

And if I'm right

Last edited by The Guard; 10-17-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #72
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

I've recently had a change of heart regarding my choice for villian in a new origin flick. For the longest time I've wanted Braniac, but I've really gotten to the point of wanting The Eradicator. I think Eradicator could do the same thing for a Superman origin movie that Ra's did for Batman Begins.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #73
The Guard
Side-Kick

Train the hero?

And if I'm right
Old 10-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #74
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Train the hero?
Ummm, no.....

What I mean't by that was that the Eradicator's storyline could complement Superman's in the same way that the Ra's storyline complemented Batman. It keeps the focus on the hero.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #75
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

This has been discussed many times on the forum.

He would work as a side villain, but not a main one.

Thanks