The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 10-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #101
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Default Re: Could Parasite work as a stand alone villain?

personally i still go for origin film(how it should be done i am open to many different ways for it).

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #102
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattabrownsound View Post
yes, the parasite isn't a threat to the whole world like brainiac or darkseid but he can be a threat (and yes this will probably sound cheesy) to all the things that mean the world to Superman/Clark Kent like his family, friends and his identity.
i wouldn't like to see the parasite end up like he did in the Justice League cartoon where he just steals powers and uses them against the heroes.
i think with the parasite's powers he can become an interesting main villain its just rudy hold him down so to speak. the parasite could destroy the fortress of solitude using superman's powers or become a manipulator of the information he gains from people's memories just to name a few things but we wouldn't see that because its not something rudy would do as the parasite. to fix this there can be someone like Earl Garver in S:TAS who can take over as the parasite and do more evil than Rudy ever would.
Sounds like the Joker.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:47 AM   #103
NeoRanger
Side-Kick

He'd stand about as well as Poison Ivy did in Batman & Robin. Villains like Parasite and Metallo are better muscle than mastermind. You could devote a decent part of the story to him, but eventually you'd have to throw in someone else to back him up. He's your standard comic book villain, but he just doesn't come off as all that threatening.

NeoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:11 PM   #104
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

the parasite should do something on the scale of what manchester black did in the ending battle storyline knowing superman's secrets.

wattabrownsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:20 PM   #105
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

what did he do wattabrownsound?

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 10-31-2009, 11:25 PM   #106
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

he had supervillains attack all the people clark kent knew from his high school football coach to lois.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #107
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

ah well that is a good way to use that info.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 11-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #108
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattabrownsound View Post
he had supervillains attack all the people clark kent knew from his high school football coach to lois.
I really like that idea. A villain who both strikes Superman personally and can mimic his powers sounds like one who can carry a movie to me. I'm sure lots of people will disagree.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #109
Mulanzo
Side-Kick

I think any of the villains could work as standalone provided the writers know how to flesh out the character. They made Nuclear Man a standalone villain and he didn't even exist before that craptacular movie was made. Parasite would work well as a villain for an SR sequel. Since Parasite is addicted to power like a drug, he could have tasted Superman's power, realize he has a weaker, more easily attacked son, and siphon off his power. Could be a good way to attack Superman personally while at the same time giving a super powered stand off.

Mulanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #110
Sam
Im Always Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulanzo View Post
I think any of the villains could work as standalone provided the writers know how to flesh out the character. They made Nuclear Man a standalone villain and he didn't even exist before that craptacular movie was made. Parasite would work well as a villain for an SR sequel. Since Parasite is addicted to power like a drug, he could have tasted Superman's power, realize he has a weaker, more easily attacked son, and siphon off his power. Could be a good way to attack Superman personally while at the same time giving a super powered stand off.
I agree with u that any villain could work according to the writer.

BUT... Nuclear Man isnt stand alone villian. Big part of the plot is Lex Luthor creating him to go fist to fist with Superman.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #111
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing1977 View Post
I'm not fan of Parasite, so I hope he is never a major villian in any film. I prefer him as a minor villian or that he doesn't appear much. Like a cameo or something.
How come you don't like the Parasite?

Old 11-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #112
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

for those who see the parasite rather as hired muscle would you just have him steal and use superman's powers or would you steal make use of all the secrets he gains by touching him?

Old 11-08-2009, 02:49 AM   #113
NeoRanger
Side-Kick

^ It makes no difference, really. Even if he steals identities and memories, Rudy's just not smart enough to plan an elaborate scheme that will support an entire film.

I like the Parasite, but this is supposed to be a blockbuster; you need larger-than-life villains for a larger-than-life hero, both for dramatic and promotional/marketing purposes. If Rudy's in the film, he'll need backing up from someone more intriguing.

NeoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #114
The Guard
Side-Kick

The Parasite's very much "larger than life".

There are just better choices for a main Superman villain, with grander themes, some of which mirror The Parasite's own.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #115
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

what villains other than Manchester Black can figure out Superman's secret identity and really abuse that knowledge for all its worth?

Last edited by wattabrownsound; 11-28-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #116
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

it sucks that The Parasite can do alot by gaining superman's memories but Rudy doesn't have a reason to do it. Rudy knows about the Fortress of Solitude but he doesn't have a reason to destroy it for example.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #117
Mr. Earle
Banned User

So the Parasite can suck memories as well? How do you deal with that in a story? He'd expose Clark the next minute, or attack anyone he holds dear.

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #118
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
So the Parasite can suck memories as well? How do you deal with that in a story? He'd expose Clark the next minute, or attack anyone he holds dear.
That's what Parasite would do. He'd suck up enough of Superman's memories to figure out who he cares about, but not enough to realize he's Clark Kent. He'd either be killed at the end of the movie, so that no one would know he'd absorbed Superman's memories, or some other supervillain like Lex would get a hold of him and learn Superman's real identity.

I know people think Parasite can't support a whole movie but there's so much that could be done with him.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:19 AM   #119
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
That's what Parasite would do. He'd suck up enough of Superman's memories to figure out who he cares about, but not enough to realize he's Clark Kent. He'd either be killed at the end of the movie, so that no one would know he'd absorbed Superman's memories, or some other supervillain like Lex would get a hold of him and learn Superman's real identity.

I know people think Parasite can't support a whole movie but there's so much that could be done with him.
1) Lex can never find out Superman's identity.
2) I am against killing villains. I'd rather they live to fill prisons and the universe in general. I dont like that motion that in each movie the hero fights a few new villains who then die and get replaced in the next. Fill up Arkham. Fill up whatever prisons Metropolis has. All these villains can be used in a sequel, or in a Justice League film without the need of further introductions.
3) Letting the villain know the hero's identity is never a good idea. As you said, Parasite will have to die for it. There is no need for that. Is it so important for him to threaten the Kents or Lois (who is always in trouble anyway)?

Old 11-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #120
epc11223
Side-Kick

in the animated series, they had parasite know that superman was clark kent and he didnt die. they could just use that 22 minute story and combine it with the origin of superman animated. so this way you have a super villain and lex. parasite could be like "i know who he is but you have to pay me". then lex will want parasite to prove it but he never does. i think it could work. then it could set up for brainiac. seriously, they should just use superman the animated series as a template for the movie franchise.

epc11223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #121
Mr. Earle
Banned User

But if Lex learns that Superman actually has a disguise, there is nothing to stop him from finding it out. Clark's disguise is based on the fact that he doesnt wear a mask as Superman and nobody suspects he has a secret identity and nobody looks for it.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #122
epc11223
Side-Kick

Quote:
But if Lex learns that Superman actually has a disguise, there is nothing to stop him from finding it out. Clark's disguise is based on the fact that he doesnt wear a mask as Superman and nobody suspects he has a secret identity and nobody looks for it.

superman/clark would just come up with a way to totally disprove parasite. it's been done in the past and i think it could work on film. it could be the entire movie of how parasite has turned superman's life upside down. ok maybe not an entire film but still.

epc11223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #123
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
1) Lex can never find out Superman's identity.
He could in the third film of the trilogy. Or he could learn it earlier but develop amnesia, though that's a bit corny.

Quote:
2) I am against killing villains. I'd rather they live to fill prisons and the universe in general. I dont like that motion that in each movie the hero fights a few new villains who then die and get replaced in the next. Fill up Arkham. Fill up whatever prisons Metropolis has. All these villains can be used in a sequel, or in a Justice League film without the need of further introductions.
Batman villains yes, but I can't see Superman's villains in prison. Is that where they normally go? Anyway, I doubt Parasite would ever be used for a JL movie.

Quote:
3) Letting the villain know the hero's identity is never a good idea. As you said, Parasite will have to die for it. There is no need for that. Is it so important for him to threaten the Kents or Lois (who is always in trouble anyway)?
As a means of raising tension, yes. People have already pointed out that Parasite doesn't bring much to the table. Threatening Superman personally is what would make him a dramatic villain.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #124
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

imagine if the parasite is let loose on the JL watchtower.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #125
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
He could in the third film of the trilogy. Or he could learn it earlier but develop amnesia, though that's a bit corny.
I detest the idea that every movie franchise has to be a self contained trilogy. So what if they keep them going forever like Bond?
Why do they have to ruin Lex or have him killed at the third film when there can be more films?
Quote:
Batman villains yes, but I can't see Superman's villains in prison. Is that where they normally go? Anyway, I doubt Parasite would ever be used for a JL movie.
They go to prison. Where else?
As for JL, he could be part of a the Secret Society of Supervillains (many supervillains team up to fight the JL) or be unleashed during an invasion (say by Darkseid) creating more problems to the heroes, or teaming up with them and helping to save the planet. In the final JLU episode heroes and villains joined forces against a huge Apocolips invasion.
Another idea would be Lex rounding up various Supervillains and using them against Superman.

So why does the villain have to die at the end of every movie? Lock him up and if the chance arises, he can be used again.
Quote:
As a means of raising tension, yes. People have already pointed out that Parasite doesn't bring much to the table. Threatening Superman personally is what would make him a dramatic villain.
I dont know much about him, but he sucks Superman's powers and can use them himself. He is not the most multilayered villain but if he learns Clark's secret he'll have to die in the end before he shares it.
Besides, Lois is always in peril so its always a bit personal, he doesnt have to threaten his parents. Just look at TDK. Did it need the Joker finding out Batman's identity in order to be tense?

Last edited by Mr. Earle; 11-29-2009 at 06:26 PM.