The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 10-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #26
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Default Re: Should any of these things be addressed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Has the purpose of the cape ever been addressed in the comics?
Just aesthetic so far as I know.

It may have some precedent in early circus strongman and wrestler costumes as well.

SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #27
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

probably so.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #28
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post
Just aesthetic so far as I know.

It may have some precedent in early circus strongman and wrestler costumes as well.
Then I wonder if the cape should be explained in an origin movie the way Batman's was.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:35 PM   #29
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

They could just say it's for effect. After all, he looks a bit naked without it.

Or, they could explain it as being Kryptonian fashion to wear capes.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #30
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

possible thundercrack85

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 10-20-2009, 11:31 PM   #31
M.O.Steel
Wayne Inc. Tech Support

i'm sorry...the more you explain things, it loses all it's mystery and appeal. kryptonian attire should be as far as it goes. no more explanation than that.

i hated it when the explained the force in star wars. it's a mystery. don't explain things because it loses the value.

M.O.Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:41 PM   #32
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFadeAway View Post
If I had my way, Earth would fear Superman up until the end of the origin film. It would take the whole film for Supes to win people over. The only person who would believe in Superman from the get go would be, you guessed it, Lois Lane.
Oh yes. You sir have just... read my mind (pun).

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #33
Fresh Prince
Banned User

I got a question? If people did not know Superman was an alien until he told them, then what did they think he was? A second coming Jesus type or a man who was born with super human abilities?

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #34
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

hmm good question. Though in the comics he was one of the very first superhuman beings. So i wonder what they would go about with todays world.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 10-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #35
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Prince View Post
I got a question? If people did not know Superman was an alien until he told them, then what did they think he was? A second coming Jesus type or a man who was born with super human abilities?
Oh sir, do not mention that name in relation to Superman around here. Besides the fact that Superman is obviously and heavily based on Jesus, I'm sure some people would think he's Jesus coming again (if Superman existed).

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #36
Fresh Prince
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
hmm good question. Though in the comics he was one of the very first superhuman beings. So i wonder what they would go about with todays world.
Proably think he is a second coming GOD to save humanity.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #37
M.O.Steel
Wayne Inc. Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Prince View Post
in L&C, he thought he was a failed russian experiment. smallville, he was looking over articles of humans doing extraordinary feets like grandma lifting a car when the kid is under it.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #38
Timstuff
Banned User

another day, another double post...

Last edited by Timstuff; 10-21-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #39
Timstuff
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.Steel View Post
i like this. maybe those high powered reading glasses that throw off the eyes

heck, even when he wears glasses in real life he doesn't look the same.
Good example!

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #40
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
i'm sorry...the more you explain things, it loses all it's mystery and appeal. kryptonian attire should be as far as it goes. no more explanation than that.

i hated it when the explained the force in star wars. it's a mystery. don't explain things because it loses the value.
Exactly.

My mantra is to "make it look good, take the subject matter seriously, but don't try explain everything to make it more realistic".

Old 10-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #41
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Oh sir, do not mention that name in relation to Superman around here. Besides the fact that Superman is obviously and heavily based on Jesus, I'm sure some people would think he's Jesus coming again (if Superman existed).
While its possible that people may think that about him, in the comics he has gone out of his way to tell people not to worship him, and that he is not a god.

Also, he is not the first Superpowered being in the DCU to show up on earth. Just one of the most powerful.

Facts are verifiable information.

Superman being based on Jesus is NOT a fact.

His creators were actually both Jewish. Not that Superman is Jewish, but he certainly was not intended to be Jesus.

It has also be stated, multiple times in the comics, that his is not a god. He is not omnipresent, omnipotent, or omniscient.

He cannot be everywhere at once, cannot alter reality with a thought, and is not all seeing.

Superman also is limited to saving your life, he cannot grant forgiveness for a sin, or save souls.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #42
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

those are some good points, but folks will always compare superman to jesus or even moses.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 10-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #43
M.O.Steel
Wayne Inc. Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post
While its possible that people may think that about him, in the comics he has gone out of his way to tell people not to worship him, and that he is not a god.

Also, he is not the first Superpowered being in the DCU to show up on earth. Just one of the most powerful.

Facts are verifiable information.

Superman being based on Jesus is NOT a fact.

His creators were actually both Jewish. Not that Superman is Jewish, but he certainly was not intended to be Jesus.

It has also be stated, multiple times in the comics, that his is not a god. He is not omnipresent, omnipotent, or omniscient.

He cannot be everywhere at once, cannot alter reality with a thought, and is not all seeing.

Superman also is limited to saving your life, he cannot grant forgiveness for a sin, or save souls.
his name is Kal-El. "voice of god" or "all that is god".

I never liked the blatant emphasis on the messiah figure either, but the intention was there. and like WH'06 said, even if it wasn't intentional, the allergoires are there. and just like the Golden Calf, people will worship him even if he tells them not too.

Last edited by M.O.Steel; 10-22-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #44
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I really don't think you can compare the Force and midichlorians to Superman and how his powers work. Unlike the Force, there's never been anything mystical about Superman's powers. Such an analogy would work with a character like Wonder Woman, but Superman's powers have traditionally been pseudo-scientifically explained.

I imagine prior to the alien thing, they probably figured he got his powers in some strange accident or experiment. The original Superman was a product of experimentation with a meteor, perhaps some would speculate that.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #45
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea i guess so

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 10-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #46
M.O.Steel
Wayne Inc. Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
I really don't think you can compare the Force and midichlorians to Superman and how his powers work. Unlike the Force, there's never been anything mystical about Superman's powers. Such an analogy would work with a character like Wonder Woman, but Superman's powers have traditionally been pseudo-scientifically explained.

I imagine prior to the alien thing, they probably figured he got his powers in some strange accident or experiment. The original Superman was a product of experimentation with a meteor, perhaps some would speculate that.
all i'm saying is that the more you explain things, the less it becomes fantastical. "pesudo sciecnce is still science fiction". some things should be left to the imagination. especially in a movie. comics book have been around for 70 years, so they have tiem to explore things if need be.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #47
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

oh totally some things should be left open and not fully explained. But in my mind certain things should be explained a little bit.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 10-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #48
Fresh Prince
Banned User

So in the DCU who was the first super powered human?...Also is Wonder Women and Martian Manhunter stronger then Superman....And when Superman was first created he was a product of experimentation with a meteor? So in other words their was no Kyrptone yet?

Old 10-22-2009, 10:36 PM   #49
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
his name is Kal-El. "voice of god" or "all that is god".

I never liked the blatant emphasis on the messiah figure either, but the intention was there. and like WH'06 said, even if it wasn't intentional, the allergoires are there. and just like the Golden Calf, people will worship him even if he tells them not too.
Wasn't aware of the Hebrew translation of his Kryptonian name.

Fair enough then but I think turning him into a Jesus like character on screen is in a way making him a Golden Calf.

I think making him too "Jesus" is doing exactly that, and is why I think it is important to at least stay away from any messiah Superman stuff.

The people attempting to worship him situation has happened in the comics, but for a movie turning him into the Golden Calf is not really where I want to see things go.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:32 PM   #50
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

neither do i want to see that mike.

www.ItsJustMovies.com