The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 10-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #51
M.O.Steel
Wayne Inc. Tech Support

Default Re: Should any of these things be addressed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post
Wasn't aware of the Hebrew translation of his Kryptonian name.

Fair enough then but I think turning him into a Jesus like character on screen is in a way making him a Golden Calf.

I think making him too "Jesus" is doing exactly that, and is why I think it is important to at least stay away from any messiah Superman stuff.

The people attempting to worship him situation has happened in the comics, but for a movie turning him into the Golden Calf is not really where I want to see things go.
never liked it myself either. i prefer the "best a man can be" version than the "god-like" version.

M.O.Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #52
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

I've always seen Superman as a man who COULD be a God amongst men, but chooses NOT to. Instead, he chooses to live a "normal," humble life among us, using his great powers to help us. He doesn't ask to be seen as a savior, nor does he want to be viewed as such........he just wants to be "one of us," helping us because he wants to help........because he can help.....because he was raised to be a kind, generous, responsible person by his parents. Not because of some pre-ordained legacy, prophecy, or mission or because of some savior/messiah complex.

This is the perfect contrast/foil to Lex, who is a man who WANTS to be God, he WANTS to obtain more power so he can control others......he WANTS his fellow men to see him as their savior..........Lex DOES have a savior/messiah complex......

Disney Lover and Proud!!

Last edited by X Knight; 10-23-2009 at 07:48 PM.
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:16 AM   #53
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

totally that would be great parallels for clark and lex.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:29 AM   #54
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

In real life if superman only had his power of flight he would be venerated as some sort of messiah by alot of people out there.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #55
GreenKToo
In the fire

yeah, it would be pathetic at all the cults that would form.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #56
M.O.Steel
Wayne Inc. Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-Bats View Post
I've always seen Superman as a man who COULD be a God amongst men, but chooses NOT to. Instead, he chooses to live a "normal," humble life among us, using his great powers to help us. He doesn't ask to be seen as a savior, nor does he want to be viewed as such........he just wants to be "one of us," helping us because he wants to help........because he can help.....because he was raised to be a kind, generous, responsible person by his parents. Not because of some pre-ordained legacy, prophecy, or mission or because of some savior/messiah complex.

This is the perfect contrast/foil to Lex, who is a man who WANTS to be God, he WANTS to obtain more power so he can control others......he WANTS his fellow men to see him as their savior..........Lex DOES have a savior/messiah complex......
i like this. sounds good to me.

JorEl shouldn't send him to help humans. he did it to save kalel, and it is kalel that takes on the role.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #57
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.Steel View Post
never liked it myself either. i prefer the "best a man can be" version than the "god-like" version.
Problem is that no matter how noble any man could be or whatever any man could do, he would never be super-powered ad invulnerable like Superman is. Superman is God-like but not God.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #58
M.O.Steel
Wayne Inc. Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Problem is that no matter how noble any man could be or whatever any man could do, he would never be super-powered ad invulnerable like Superman is. Superman is God-like but not God.
while in a sense you are right, if you really delve into the character, theh have done creative ways of showing that all the goodness is him as a person independent of his powers . 1) when he doesn't have his powers, he still acts the exact same way , or 2) when other people have his powers, they greatly abuse it. 3) they show him being raised in alternate realities where he wasn't raised with the values and morals.

i like this discussion.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #59
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

it would be interesting to see what they would do with that.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 10-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #60
M.O.Steel
Wayne Inc. Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
oh totally some things should be left open and not fully explained. But in my mind certain things should be explained a little bit.
fair enough, but i don't think the initial 3 questions are necessary

Old 10-25-2009, 12:19 AM   #61
Nightwing1977
Want to see my mask??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-Bats View Post

Word.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:41 AM   #62
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

from blackest night;

'clark slouches, wears clothes two sizes too big for him and raises his voice an octave'

hal talking to barry

that is a good enough disguise for someone who has spent any real time with superman (normal civilian) or someone who has spent time with clark kent (superhero) but eliminates virtually everyone except probably lois lane.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:52 AM   #63
M.O.Steel
Wayne Inc. Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
from blackest night;

'clark slouches, wears clothes two sizes too big for him and raises his voice an octave'

hal talking to barry

that is a good enough disguise for someone who has spent any real time with superman (normal civilian) or someone who has spent time with clark kent (superhero) but eliminates virtually everyone except probably lois lane.
nice. and maybe lana too. i think it was superman for all seasons when lana sent clark a letter saying, as soon as i saw the news with the feats of superman, i knew it was you. something like that.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #64
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

they really should next go around play into how/way clark develops his metropolis like and act compared to his hero look and persona.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 10-25-2009, 05:25 PM   #65
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

his need to eat/sleep should be addressed..

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #66
M.O.Steel
Wayne Inc. Tech Support

oh dear...

Old 10-25-2009, 06:31 PM   #67
The Guard
Side-Kick

Also, whether he has a penis or not. That's of vital importance.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #68
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I suppose I can understand it to a degree, but for an acclaimed investigative reporter, it doesn't reflect well on Lois that she can't figure out Clark Kent and Superman are the same two people. Even with glasses.

As for eating and sleeping (not sure if that's a real question), I don't see why not. Anything could be explored/addressed and I certainly wouldn't mind. Wouldn't surprise me if both are different from humans.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #69
M.O.Steel
Wayne Inc. Tech Support

while it is true they can be explored, remember we are talking about a 2 hour movie. now if we are talking about a trilogy or series, those things can be explored, way too short for a single movie.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:03 AM   #70
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

oh totally i think most of us are talking about things we like to see get addressed done over a course of a series of films.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 11-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #71
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

here are three reasons why i would like how superman's suit is made be addressed:

1)so it feels like something clark is wearing when turning into superman rather than a costume the actor is wearing when playing the role of superman. the suits origin needs to be addressed so it basically feels like its part of the world.

2)so the look and materials of the suit look like they were chosen by clark rather than the costume department. would clark really have chosen to have the \s/ put on the bottom of his boot and have tiny superman emblem's engraved into the main emblem?

3)so we finally gets answers as to why does he wear underwear on the outside of his suit and why does he wear a cape if he can fly without it.

wattabrownsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #72
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
I suppose I can understand it to a degree, but for an acclaimed investigative reporter, it doesn't reflect well on Lois that she can't figure out Clark Kent and Superman are the same two people. Even with glasses.

As for eating and sleeping (not sure if that's a real question), I don't see why not. Anything could be explored/addressed and I certainly wouldn't mind. Wouldn't surprise me if both are different from humans.

You should read some of the other posts on this thread, they go into detail on how his secret is kept from Lois, and how this coudl be translated to a movie.

The reason does not need to be perfect, but just direct the audience away from it.

Easiest reason is how people build up their heros with mental exaggeration.

The other issue is that identity is much less about specific facial features, and more body language, speech patern, voice etc... Non-Verbal is for example about 90% of human communication.

Other issues are a seeming 3-4" height difference with Clark and Superman.

As Clark, he would slouch -2 or -3 inches, and wear flat sole shoes -1 inch compared to normal footwear every one else has on.

As Superman he would stand with good posture, and wear boots with a normal 1.5 inch heel, and 0.5 inch padding on the inside of the boot. The result is him seeming 4"-5" taller than Clark. That is a big contrast.

Add that to voice and body language and it should be convincing enough.

The last thing to add to it, is that because Superman does not wear a mask, no body looks for his secret. By not wearing a mask he gives the impression he is superman fulltime.

That way, as Clark, he could wav it in their face, and claim to be Superman, and people would think he is joking. Humans refuse to see what they are not looking for.

SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #73
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

totally valid point there.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 11-08-2009, 02:30 AM   #74
Alien Anal
Side-Kick

How would your write a scene into a film that addressed these topics?

"thank you for saving me Superman..by the way..what is your suits logo made from?"

I think it depends on Superman's own personal knowledge, how would superman know how he flies?

* Doesn't mean that i wouldn't want the director and writer to think about these things and maybe tell us in blogs during the filming

Check out my Deviant Art file
http://alienanal.deviantart.com/
Alien Anal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #75
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well costume could be told by us when we see it being made and all that. As for the other stuff i dont know.

www.ItsJustMovies.com