The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 11-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #76
That person
Bull Moose

Default Re: Should any of these things be addressed?

As for 1, is this ever explained in the comics? If it could be done without seeming forced, I'd like to see it in the movie, but I'd also like to know if anyone made any effort to explain it, seeing as my Googling was fruitless.

Last edited by That person; 11-13-2009 at 08:58 PM.
That person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #77
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

does superman live in a world where other superheroes exists or is he the only one?

wattabrownsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #78
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

totally would like if its stated there is other heroes around. But its all about what wb is planning to do with next few hero films hex/losers/gl and if they share a same universe or they are all their own worlds, but left open for the possiblity of they co exist.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #79
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

after the major villain is defeated they should address that they will be an ongoing threat to superman. even though they might not be in the next movie, at least have them brooding in their cell at Stryker's mumbling that "its not over" or something like that.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #80
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

that would be nice.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 11-13-2009, 06:48 AM   #81
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Has the purpose of the cape ever been addressed in the comics?
Its the blanket his parents covered him with when they put him in the spaceship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.Steel View Post
i'm sorry...the more you explain things, it loses all it's mystery and appeal. kryptonian attire should be as far as it goes. no more explanation than that.

i hated it when the explained the force in star wars. it's a mystery. don't explain things because it loses the value.
I agree. Its one thing to explain why a rich guy would dress up like a bat, and another to start explaining Superman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
In a reboot. Just some things that I've never really seen addressed. But your average movie goer might wonder.

1. Why or how Kryptonians look virtually identical to humans. Perhaps they are somehow distantly related, since they can noticeably naturally procreate. Have never seen this addressed.

2. Why no one notices Clark Kent and Superman are one in the same. Old comics had some rather odd explanations, but these days no one seems to ever notice.

3. How Superman can fly.

This would be in-universe explanation.
1) Its fiction. There is no way to explain it other than the fact that Jor-El specifically chose earth because we look like Kryptonians and his son would not look different.

2) Its explained in "Superman: Birthright" if i remember correctly. Clark throws his hair down his forehead, hunches his back a bit to lose height, and wears suits bigger than his size so that he looks like a flubby man who hasnt even walked outside of a gym. Also, with Superman walking around with no mask, people believe that he has no secret identity and dont look for it.

3) There is some kind of stupid explanation in the comics but do we really need it? Lets leave it at "he gets power from the sun and gets superhuman abilities".

Last edited by Mr. Earle; 11-13-2009 at 06:55 AM.
Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:54 AM   #82
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
totally would like if its stated there is other heroes around. But its all about what wb is planning to do with next few hero films hex/losers/gl and if they share a same universe or they are all their own worlds, but left open for the possiblity of they co exist.
I'd be nice if they leave it open or even mention another hero. I remember in a comic book when Clark first comes with the idea of becoming a superhero, his mother says "i hope not like that lunatic in Gotham". Hahaha

In the comics they all live in the same world, so why close the borders in the films? If they dont want to do cameos or team ups, fine, but leave it open, there is no need to close the hero in his own world.

Personally i'd love some cameos, mentions, easter eggs, but most of all, a Superman/Batman film. If they ever plan on doing a JL movie, it cant deal with Superman and Batman meeting each other and hating each other till they become friends. It a very big chapter that needs and deserves to be addressed in its own film.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #83
M.O.Steel
Wayne Inc. Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
Its the blanket his parents covered him with when they put him in the spaceship. I agree. Its one thing to explain why a rich guy would dress up like a bat, and another to start explaining Superman.

1) Its fiction. There is no way to explain it other than the fact that Jor-El specifically chose earth because we look like Kryptonians and his son would not look different.

2) Its explained in "Superman: Birthright" if i remember correctly. Clark throws his hair down his forehead, hunches his back a bit to lose height, and wears suits bigger than his size so that he looks like a flubby man who hasnt even walked outside of a gym. Also, with Superman walking around with no mask, people believe that he has no secret identity and dont look for it.

3) There is some kind of stupid explanation in the comics but do we really need it? Lets leave it at "he gets power from the sun and gets superhuman abilities".
wow, i like that explanation. instead of saying what are the odds that earth and krytonians look alike, say that it was earth on purpose because they look alike. sounds good to me.

M.O.Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #84
Mr. Earle
Banned User

I think they used that explanation in the Reeves movie but i am not so sure. Its good isnt it?

Old 11-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #85
M.O.Steel
Wayne Inc. Tech Support

Quote:
I think they used that explanation in the Reeves movie but i am not so sure. Its good isnt it?
well in the movies, he just said that he would look like them but would not be one of them. but i think it the comics and smallville, jor-el came to earth many times to see how they live and learn about humans, and even the kents i think.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #86
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well how many other many many human looking aliens are there in the dc universe? have they ever explained that? i just take it on worlds that support live they just developed as humanoid forms and all that.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 11-13-2009, 11:20 PM   #87
M.O.Steel
Wayne Inc. Tech Support

but we're talking about the movie here right?

i don't think they should acknowledge it at all, but if they do...

i personally don't think other superpowered people should be in this superman world (outside the super villains ocfourse)

Last edited by M.O.Steel; 11-13-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:40 AM   #88
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
well how many other many many human looking aliens are there in the dc universe? have they ever explained that? i just take it on worlds that support live they just developed as humanoid forms and all that.
There are other aliens that look like humans. Sinestro for example, although he is kinda orange.
Anyway, its fiction, human looking aliens makes it easier for us to relate to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.Steel View Post
but we're talking about the movie here right?

i don't think they should acknowledge it at all, but if they do...

i personally don't think other superpowered people should be in this superman world (outside the super villains ocfourse)
I am a fan of a wider DC universe and not separate franchises. I can undestand why people would be afraid to apply that to Batman, but with Superman it works at its best. Because he is the daddy, he is the beacon, the symbol that everyone, including other heroes looks up to.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #89
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea it would be nice for dc to have a single consive universe going. But with all the problems with getting there characters out and all the different directors/writers it will probably never happen. Unlike for marvel studios with hulk/thor/cap/ironman they specifically have plans to join these guys together.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 11-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #90
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
There are other aliens that look like humans. Sinestro for example, although he is kinda orange.
Anyway, its fiction, human looking aliens makes it easier for us to relate to them.
I am a fan of a wider DC universe and not separate franchises. I can undestand why people would be afraid to apply that to Batman, but with Superman it works at its best. Because he is the daddy, he is the beacon, the symbol that everyone, including other heroes looks up to.
Superman is also not at all grounded in reality, so it's easier to pair him with Amazons and alien rings corps, etc.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #91
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Superman is also not at all grounded in reality, so it's easier to pair him with Amazons and alien rings corps, etc.
Exactly. He comes from another planet, he has enemies from other planets like Mongul and Brainiac and even other dimensions like Darkseid. So yeah, its easy to place any other hero in Superman's world.
To be honest i have a bigger problem with integrating WW and her mythological world than integrating Batman. But something similar is going to happen with Thor and Ironman in the Marvel movies so i think they'll pull it off. And you know what, if the end result is good, why bother with semantics?
Since the day Nolan took over people have been obsessed with realism. Leave realism at the door and enjoy Batman in the Justice League. He is not going to beat Darkseid anyway. Just watch the JL animated series (lots of episodes on Youtube) and you'll see that it all makes sense.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #92
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

totally its all about how things are displayed and written out, any dc guys could easily live in the same world with each other. Perosonally i been really thinking lately the next series should decide to go more scifi/fantasy and comicbookie, with sure the regular human characters playing on grounded phsyics and all that.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 11-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #93
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I don't see Wonder Woman working any better in a Superman movie than a Batman movie. Superman's world is one of science-fiction, Wonder Woman's world is one of mythology.

I'm still curious how they will work Thor into the semi-realistic movie-universe they have made with the Hulk and Iron Man.

The shared universe is fun, but it does present a few problems.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:02 PM   #94
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
I don't see Wonder Woman working any better in a Superman movie than a Batman movie. Superman's world is one of science-fiction, Wonder Woman's world is one of mythology.

I'm still curious how they will work Thor into the semi-realistic movie-universe they have made with the Hulk and Iron Man.

The shared universe is fun, but it does present a few problems.
I have a really hard time imagining Thor fitting into IM's and Hulk's universe, which is heavily based on science, however implausible. I worry less about WW, probably since Superman and GL feel more like science fantasy to me and from there it's only a short leap to real fantasy.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #95
M.O.Steel
Wayne Inc. Tech Support

we're having a hard time getting a decent superman centric movie of the ground. i really don't think we need to throw in others just to open a can of worms. all i'm saying is that we need a nice solid superman trilogy to really establish the character, and with GL, and hopefully someday WW and Flash on the way, we can get a proper JLA movie.

eventually, maybe sure, but at least not for 2-3 movies into it.

Last edited by M.O.Steel; 11-14-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #96
M.O.Steel
Wayne Inc. Tech Support

edit

Old 11-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #97
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Well, I suppose Thor will give DC some ideas for any future crossovers movies involving Wonder Woman.

For crossovers though, it would be nice to have some sort of order.

After all, Batman would barely get any media coverage if Superman came first.

There's nothing wrong with having a good set up for just Superman, but some cameos and references can also be present. Even if it's just something as little as a young Clark Kent reading a book by Dr. Erdel a la Superman Secret Origins, or a Wayne Enterprises logo in the background somewhere.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #98
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

totally if the studios went full on to do a shared universe from the get go and hired writers who would chat and discuss things between each other. Then sure a shared univese could easily work out.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 11-17-2009, 07:58 PM   #99
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

they should address that superman has more than just the 6 or so villains that would show up in a trilogy. they should have the lesser villains some how incorporated in the superman movies even though they can't hold up a superman movie on their own.

they should also address that after the final villain is defeated in the trilogy that it won't be happily ever after for superman. there are more villains out there and its going to be a never-ending battle.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #100
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

totally like how batman begins had faclone, but then also ras/scarecrow. Make one guy of lesser extent like a morgan edge to be something taken care of in one part of film. Then have a bigger issue like metallo and all that.

www.ItsJustMovies.com