The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 11-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #101
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

Default Re: Should any of these things be addressed?

if superman is fighting the villain in a highly populated area they should address why superman can't take the fight somewhere deserted like Goku would usually do.

wattabrownsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:11 PM   #102
Fresh Prince
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattabrownsound View Post
if superman is fighting the villain in a highly populated area they should address why superman can't take the fight somewhere deserted like Goku would usually do.

Why not?

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:01 PM   #103
M.O.Steel
Wayne Inc. Tech Support

Quote:
why can't he? what are you talking about?

he did that in superman 2.

although i think it would be much cooler to fight in the middle of the city, villians could use innocent bystanders against superman.

Last edited by M.O.Steel; 11-18-2009 at 11:20 PM.
M.O.Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:18 PM   #104
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Because Superman does not have one dimension villains, not all of them would just go join him in the desert fight.

He cannot just fly off and hope they chase him there either. Some he has tried to take to more isolated areas, but like Doomsday, end up bashing him around when he tries to move him.

Most of the reason why is that Supermanís Villains do not just show up, square off, and "try to fight" Superman.

Also, on plenty of occasions, Superman has done just that, when he can.

He has taken it to the moon before it if he has to.

I think if there is a big enough fight, maybe the movie should do just that, they start fighting in the city, and then Superman moves the fight out to some other place.

SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:36 AM   #105
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

totally those could all work.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:33 PM   #106
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

who would protect the city from a supervillain attack or if one breaks out of Stryker's when superman is off on Warworld or Apokolips? luckily for the superman returns movie they didn't have to worry about such an idea when he went searching for Krypton b/c there weren't any other supervillains around except Lex.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:37 PM   #107
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well if we were in a world with crazy hightech weapons and other superheroes around some other guy could come in, or the special police on super beings and all that.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 11-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #108
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

if superman lives in a world where other superheroes exists perhaps they can bring up the topic of how Superman would and should never be like the batman. ma or pa kent or even lois can bring it up.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:22 AM   #109
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

that would be cool.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 11-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #110
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

if superman finds some other way to defeat the villain other than fighting them til their down they should address why he didn't think of or do that in the first place. especially if that solution was available all along.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #111
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

two other things that could be addressed are: where does superman go after a fight? and where has he been before he first shows up?
maybe the people of metropolis could become curious about where he disappears to after his first couple of appearances.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #112
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well in the comics they think he is being a hero 24/7 right? so maybe they will just think he is off doing another save somewhere around the world.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 12-14-2009, 11:52 PM   #113
Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post
Exactly, because as Superman he seems so above everything, humans would fall into the mindset of seeing him as just what they see and nothing more than a fulltime superman.

Its also normal for humans to create hero exaggeration. No matter how tall Superman is for example, people will think he is a half foot taller than that, because of the impression he gives them. They see him as a Mythic god.

That is another thing that actually should be explained, as it would make a good character development.

I mean about him not being a god.

He could be talking to Lois, as she is taking notes for a story "is Superman a god?", and he responds to her with "absolutely not. I cannot be everywhere at once, I am not omnipresent, even as fast as I am".

To which Lois responds with (somewhat sadly) "and thatís why you cannot save everyone?"

Superman responds with "I can see through walls, but I cannot see eveything either, I am not all seeing".

Lois; " I know now, so you donít pick and chose who you will save, you just do the best you can?".

Superman; " Yes, I will always do everything I can to save anyone, but as powerful as I am, I do not have the power to save everyone from harm, and I certainly do not have the power to save their soul. I should never be confused with a god either".
I agree; I always hated those kinds of comparisons. I like to think of Superman as being a human with extroardinary abilities. What kind of choices would a person make if they could do things like that? I understand that he is kryptonian, that's why he has the abilities that he does, but he is also a character filled with emotion; and he has a conscience. The "god" comparisons have always been a turn-off for me.

Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #114
thorstone
Side-Kick

1. Krypton = Earth

2. Clark is clumsy, weak, slouched over, uncharismatic he wears the uniform of the everyman, and a fortress of solitude.

3. Superman can fly because of telekinesis.

thorstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #115
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
well in the comics they think he is being a hero 24/7 right? so maybe they will just think he is off doing another save somewhere around the world.
I always thought it's like that. BUt it wouldn't be any difficult to check that Superman was nowhere to be seen. Otherwise there would be news about it and everyone would be knowing about it.

What I want to know is presicely why Superman does not work 24/7 as a superhero? It's clear that more people could be saved if he were active all the time.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #116
Frodo
Side-Kick

1. No , I wouldn't address it . I might give Kryptonians a different lanuage with subtitles .
2. I think the Lois and Clark method of different Hair styles and body posture is enough . I wouldn't mind Clark also having a bit of a midwestern accent , where as Superman's voice may be deeper and without an accent. Not a Batman growl, but more of bass sound.
3. The yellow sun gives him enhanced abilities. Nuff said.Lol.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #117
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
I always thought it's like that. BUt it wouldn't be any difficult to check that Superman was nowhere to be seen. Otherwise there would be news about it and everyone would be knowing about it.

What I want to know is presicely why Superman does not work 24/7 as a superhero? It's clear that more people could be saved if he were active all the time.
I'm sure even Superman needs a change of pace from time to time. He also needs time for relationships.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #118
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea from what i like to think is superman would like to have time to do other things and have a life besides doing the hero thing. Sure that is a main thing for him and he wants to be there for the world and help when he can. But it would be a boring life if thats all he had to do.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 12-16-2009, 06:24 AM   #119
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
I'm sure even Superman needs a change of pace from time to time. He also needs time for relationships.
Oh, I'm positive. But then again I'm sure he knows that saving lives is for him a higher priority than having a normal life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
yea from what i like to think is superman would like to have time to do other things and have a life besides doing the hero thing. Sure that is a main thing for him and he wants to be there for the world and help when he can. But it would be a boring life if thats all he had to do.
Yeah, but I don't think "too boring" is a good enough excuse to not saving lives while he could; "No, I pass from saving as many lives as I could because I could get bored."

Old 12-16-2009, 07:10 AM   #120
NeoRanger
Side-Kick

^ You don't need it spelt out; the existence of Clark Kent and the double identity is the very answer to your question. Superman can't be Superman all day, he'd go crazy, quite literally. Best-case-scenario, he'd end up like Red Son Superman.

NeoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #121
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoRanger View Post
^ You don't need it spelt out; the existence of Clark Kent and the double identity is the very answer to your question. Superman can't be Superman all day, he'd go crazy, quite literally. Best-case-scenario, he'd end up like Red Son Superman.
Superman could sleep 8 hours a day and all (so he doesn't have to be Superman literally 24/7). But how could he go crazy if his mental and brain capacities exceed human ones?

I think he should have a solid reason to spend 8 hours a day having a job instead of saving lives.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #122
GreenKToo
In the fire

I can imagine a scene where a Doomsday, Metallo, Darkseid, ect shows up in downtown Metropolis spoiling for a fight.

Supermans first concern would be all the innocent bystanders. The villain would think no more of them than we do ants.

Superman would try of course to lead the Villain away but I doubt it would work.

I could see some loss of life in a situation like that. Does Superman save the family of four who are trapped in a building thats about to collapse, or the police officers who are about to get crushed by the villain.
Keep in mind Superman would be fighting the villain at the same time he is trying to save innocents.
If such a situation really happened, the loss of life would be considerable. So unless we want a ''kiddie'' film, i'd like to see something like this.

You could have lots of tension if its done correctly.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 12-16-2009 at 09:25 AM.
GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #123
NeoRanger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Superman could sleep 8 hours a day and all (so he doesn't have to be Superman literally 24/7). But how could he go crazy if his mental and brain capacities exceed human ones?
Because he needs to have a life. Even if he wasn't raised as a human, which already makes that a big deal in and on itself, he'd still need to be in touch with his own humanity. He's not a god, he can't spend all day patrolling the streets, he'll flip.

That aside, if he doesn't mingle, he'll lose sight of why he does what he does and even out of good intentions, he'll most likely end up a dictator of sorts. He already does the most he can; he takes time out of the day to patrol the streets, he has a 24/7 open channel in his freaking head to respond to calls for help and he has based his entire career around being employed in a major news center where he can stay on top of everything that happens worldwide. That's already going the extra mile, without losing everything that makes him human.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #124
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

i actually got a question, does superman really need to eat/sleep at all?

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 12-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #125
NeoRanger
Side-Kick

^ It really depends on the writer. Realistically speaking, he probably needs to do both at a much lower frequency than other human beings. For all intends and purposes, his body is still very much structured like any other person's, which means he needs the cooldown and food to process.

These things are usually addressed in pretty much every version, though; I'd expect them to throw a line or two about it somewhere there.