The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 11-09-2009, 12:15 AM   #26
Anubis
Sup?

Default Re: Should Superman be the first Kryptonian to have come to Earth?

Brainiac isn't kryptonian.

And no, I don't think it matters whether Kryptonians were on Earth at any point before Supes got there, so why bother bringing it up.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:25 AM   #27
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

Quote:
Brainiac isn't kryptonian.
He is in a sense.

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:30 AM   #28
Anubis
Sup?

He isn't in any sense. Unless you go by cartoon lore or ugh, smallville. He's Coluan.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:33 AM   #29
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

I never watched the Brainiac episodes of Smallville, so I wouldn't know. And while I have quite a few Superman comics under my belt now, none of them deal explicitly with Brainiac, much less his origins. What I know of him is that he was created on Krypton.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:36 AM   #30
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Brianiac's Kryptonian now? Since when?

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:40 AM   #31
Anubis
Sup?

Nope. He's a rogue Coluan scientist. Always has been. Only time anybody ever said he had anything to do with Krypton was when he shrunk and stole Kandor.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:42 AM   #32
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

I applaud your vast knowledge of the comic lore, Anubis. I have a lot of catching up to do, but I rather like the origin of the Animated Series at present.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #33
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well smallville took the STAS style of brainiac and made him kryptonian. Now i wouldnt mind that in a new film series, or even coluan too. Either are fine with me.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:54 AM   #34
Anubis
Sup?

Eh, I wouldn't mind a mix of the comics origin and the Animated series one. Where instead of being created by the Kryptonians, Krypton is just one more planet that he visits, absorbs the knowledge from, swipes a city, then blows it up by destabilizing the core. Main reason is because I like the Coluan race in general and, god willing, would like to see a Legion of Superheroes movie one day featuring the most awesome Coluan of of all, Braniac 5.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:09 AM   #35
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea that could work too.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 11-13-2009, 07:06 AM   #36
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jul-el View Post
I dig this as a 'prequel' kinda concept. A young Jor-el visiting earlier, befriending a young Jonathon Kent (I'm not a massive Smallville mark....but they have probably done something similar?)

Maybe even sending Zod with him as a bodygaurd type?

I know it wouldn't make sense in the Donnerverse (Zod seemed to be a newbie to Planet Houston...)

Maybe something happens on Earth to start Zods decline/turn?

Also to borrow a concept from S3, as Zod turns more evil his white Krypton outfit slowly starts turning darker and darker....eventually to the black outfit...kinda like Supes outfit getting darker in 3. (obvioulsy they woudn't get around on Earth in these get ups...)
Actually in Superman/Batman #50 Thomas Wayne travels to Krypton and meets Jor-El. Jor-El made a portal or something. Its a stupid story that tried to intertwine the two superheroes even further before they even wore capes. I hope its not canon because it was really stupid. I'd rather Jor-El just sends Clark to earth. No meeting with Wayne, Kent or Luthor.

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:58 AM   #37
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
Actually in Superman/Batman #50 Thomas Wayne travels to Krypton and meets Jor-El. Jor-El made a portal or something. Its a stupid story that tried to intertwine the two superheroes even further before they even wore capes. I hope its not canon because it was really stupid. I'd rather Jor-El just sends Clark to earth. No meeting with Wayne, Kent or Luthor.
I agree, it was a stupid attempt to tie things together.

Do not want to see stuff like that either, especially in a movie.

Keep in mind that not all of the comics writing has been great over the years. Although some truly has been epic too.

Much of the time writers do what they want, and sometimes we get winner stories, while some others are polished turds.

Just how it is, and over all the comics are not even consistent. Not that they really have to be either.

Its better for fans to not get to heated in "canon" debates however, as the stories and continuity are not perfectly consistent, and there is not even exactly one universe.

It exists in a Multiverse, with parallel universes, and for all we know a writer may very well put it in print that many of the stories are no even the exact same universe.

They also have things with "Crisis" events changing the very histories of the worlds, whenever DC want to make canon changes.

So really when making a show, like what STAS did, or a movie, the producers, if they are familiar with the heart of the character, and good vision of what they ought to be like, just takes aspects of a lot of the comics, and tries to make a consistent story out of it.

SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #38
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

that is what i would like to see done supermike. They the next director/writers know the ins and out of the character. What really makes him tick. Then base the characters and story on aspects from many different eras of the comics so we can round out things and bring in apsects have yet to be down in film series. Then get a nice original story and go from there.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 11-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #39
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
that is what i would like to see done supermike. They the next director/writers know the ins and out of the character. What really makes him tick. Then base the characters and story on aspects from many different eras of the comics so we can round out things and bring in apsects have yet to be down in film series. Then get a nice original story and go from there.
Superman has had a ton of great comic books in his history and its really baffling that they cant make a good film by combining elements from his successful issues.

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #40
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

i know i keep wondering why is it so much trouble for wb to get superman going, and not even the whole legal stuff, even when that wasnt an issue still they cant get anything going. I wish superman wasnt such a dam problem for them.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #41
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

No i don't think he's the first. I agree that to have the extensive knowledge of earth and it's affect on a kryptonian body then some krytonian scientists/explorers were there before.

I think it would be interesting if a few hundred years ago (or longer) kryptonian explorers set out to discover other habitable worlds. On each world they setup outpost to work from in remote locations so as not to interfere with native populations. The scientist were surprised when they landed on earth and the effects of the yellow sun. After years of exploring all the various off planet expeditions were recalled but the outposts remained intacted and cloaked from detection. It's remained sealed for several thousand years.

Essentially the fortress is one of these outposts.

As one of kryptons top scientist and scholar jor-el is familar with these outposts and places a key or sorts in clark's ship that will unseal the fortress. It also has updated information on all things kryptonian, so once clark places it into the fortress everything is download and it updates the databanks so they included everything including his ships journey to earth and the planets final moments broadcast from jorel to the ship.

Also the superman suit is essentially an exloration type outfit kryptonians used while on earth. They found that as they began testing the limits of their new found abilites only clothing that was close to their skin remained intact. They developed the body suits as a sort of second skin and it inherited their invulnerability.

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #42
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Also as far as motivation for someone like brainaic, i don't think he was kryptonian in nature but sought out the planets vast information as it was one of the most technologically advanced civilazations ever known.

His once sought to absorb it's knowledge and destroy it as he'd done countless other world's only to discover this shining light in the unverse was already destroyed. He's tried to find any trace of the kryptonian outpost but b/c of the cloaking technology he can't locate them. He's sent out countless probes in search of anything kryptonian. Eventually one probe lands on earth and finds clark's ship, (clark is a teenager at this point) and tries to remove the key (which will both lead it to the fortress and unlock its secrets). Clark has an altercation with the robot and destroys it, but recovers the key and begins his journey to discover his heritage. the robot is recovered by lex luthor, reverse engineered and eventually reactivated, it broadcasts it's location to brainiac's ship in space, thus leading braininac to earth.

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #43
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

interesting thoughts

www.ItsJustMovies.com