The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 10-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #51
ck1777
Side-Kick

Default Re: Reboot Superman with The Legion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
SUPERMAN RETURNS had one flying man, some large sets that can be compared to the kinds of sprawling, futuristic sets we're talking about, Braniac's ship, etc, etc, and decent sized action. It cost what, $200 million?

I think $150-160 million for a movie with 7, 8, 9 flying people with various superpowers, one of whom is Superman (who has multiple powers and has to do several feats), some which are very visual, and any kind of big action is wishful thinking at best.
I like Superman Returns, but one of the many problems I had with it was the horrible ways they spent their money. But, technically they spent $200 million on a THREE hour movie and not a two and a half like the one we got. So maybe they didn't spend their money too bad, but I guess we'll never know.

As for multiple people flying that Peter Pan movie from 2003 had a crap load of people flying and insane amounts of Cgi for neverland. That movie cost less than $100 million. Also, Green Lantern is going to have all the stuff you described and I think it has a budget of $150 million.

Now I'm not saying this movie should be like Peter Pan (it was a beautiful movie though), I'm just saying it's possible. But like I said this movie would no doubt have to be less than 2 hours long to keep the price down.

ck1777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #52
The Guard
Side-Kick

Sure, PETER PAN had flying (the quality of it is debatable). We're talking about a movie with flying, heat vision, superbreath, superstrength, god knows what Legion powers AND a villain that is going to need to have effects rendered VS a guy with a sword...it's not going to be a cheap film.

There's no way GREEN LANTERN will cost $150 million. No way.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #53
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well gl they would want it in the 150-180million range right, and one of the reasons its moving from aus was budget was getting blown out with raise in dollar/tax stuff there to something over 200million.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #54
ck1777
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sure, PETER PAN had flying (the quality of it is debatable). We're talking about a movie with flying, heat vision, superbreath, superstrength, god knows what Legion powers AND a villain that is going to need to have effects rendered VS a guy with a sword...it's not going to be a cheap film.

GL might not cost $150 million, but it damn sure isn't going to cost more than Superman Returns! I think all big budget movies now are starting to be anywhere from 150-180 million dollars. If they succeed, the sequels start going over $200 million.

But again, I just wanna know how many people like the concept of The Legion. Forget about as a movie for now. Do they like/hate it from the comics,cartoon,the S:TAS episode, Smallville etc?

It's so hard for Superman fans to agree on anything whether it's pre vs. post crisis, or loving/hating Superman Returns that I'm just curious if people are open to these characters. If 50% of the fans love/hate it, then theres really not much of a point to talk about a movie. But if let's say 75% of the fans like it, that's pretty high considering all the other arguments. And at least its something new to talk about!

But like I said in an earlier post, the chances of a Legion movie are very slim. But between the lawsuits and the fact the WB doesn't know what the hell they want (see John Whedons Wonder Woman comments), at least it's another option they/we have.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #55
The Guard
Side-Kick

I'm iffy on where you all get the idea that the GREEN LANTERN movie is going to cost what BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT did. That just isn't likely to happen. I fully expect GREEN LANTERN to cost close to, if not cost as much as, SUPERMAN RETURNS. Why do you think WB is so desperate for tax breaks/cheap filming locations, etc?

And if I'm right
Old 10-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #56
Fresh Prince
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
well the families also now own parts of origins stuff including planet krypton/its desctruction, and i believe most incarnations of jorel/lara names, so kalel is probably a part of that i think on top of the other things they own which is superman name/1930s powers?/lois and clark names-being reporters. Though yea all of the who has what and what this all means is so dam confusing and is a total mess. But if the lawsuits do get settled sooner or later hopefully things can be worked out between wb/dc and the families so wb-dc can continue to use all elements fully intact. I am sure most fans dont want to see a half of superman character when we could have the whole kitchen kadoole.
Yeah a half ass Superman be bad.

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #57
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

as for the idea of legion i think they are a good concept and would probably make a great film series if it ever would happen. Though with or without superman who knows.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 10-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #58
Fresh Prince
Banned User

Still say a Superboy flick would cover the orgin about Kal-El and his days on Smallville aswell.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #59
ck1777
Side-Kick

Quote:

How do we know Superman is going to use all his superpowers in any first movie? I want to see all those powers, but if they saved super breath or heat vision for a sequel I don't think that would be a huge problem.

Well from the looks of today's news, GL won't cost $150-180 million because It's doubtful it's going to get made!

Old 10-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #60
ck1777
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Prince View Post
Still say a Superboy flick would cover the orgin about Kal-El and his days on Smallville aswell.
I think a Superboy movie could work, but what would it be about? As of right now, the lawsuit wouldn't allow a full origin so we would have to put that on hold. You mean having a movie with Lana,costume, and supervillains but without having the Daily Planet characters? If it was me, any origin movie I would do wouldn't have the Daily Planet at all until the sequel.

Also, if they did a Legion or Superboy movie, I wouldn't call him "Superboy". I don't think any 15-18 year old kid would want to call himself boy(I know when I was that age I wouldnt have!)

Old 10-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #61
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

gl is going to be made only issue is the film moving which has been known for awhile now.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 10-16-2009, 01:13 PM   #62
ck1777
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
gl is going to be made only issue is the film moving which has been known for awhile now.
I hope they make it but with all the problems I won't be happy or believe it until they start shooting.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #63
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
How do we know Superman is going to use all his superpowers in any first movie? I want to see all those powers, but if they saved super breath or heat vision for a sequel I don't think that would be a huge problem.
If a movie has to reduce Superman's basic powers to make it affordable...

Nevermind that I'm pretty sure simply not showing Superman's Heat Vision or Superbreath STILL wouldn't reduce the budget that much. He'd basically not have to be very "Superman" for a concept like this not to reach into the $200 million range.

And if I'm right

Last edited by The Guard; 10-16-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #64
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

i dont really see displaying powers being to hard to do for films heck any of the various live action shows have done pretty good stuff with tv budgets and all that. For film its just how they want to showcase the powers and how many times things would be done is likely what puts the bigger price tag on the sfx heavy powers.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 10-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #65
ck1777
Side-Kick

Quote:
If a movie has to reduce Superman's basic powers to make it affordable...

Nevermind that I'm pretty sure simply not showing Superman's Heat Vision or Superbreath STILL wouldn't reduce the budget that much. He'd basically not have to be very "Superman" for a concept like this not to reach into the $200 million range.
I'm not saying it for the movie to be cheaper. I'm saying if there isn't a good reason to use something like freeze breath in the movie, they don't have to. They can come up with a scene to use it in a sequel, and if it saves money in the process that's cool too.

Also I don't see why 5 or 6 Legion charcters would be sooo expensive.
1)Brainiac 5- a lot of makeup (maybe like the Borg?)
2)Saturn Girl- reading minds is very cheap
3)Triplicate Girl- get actors who are triplets
4)Phantom Girl- see kitty pryde
Expensive characters:
5)Chameleon Boy/Girl- a lot of makeup and CGI
6)Cosmic Boy- see Magneto
7)Lightning Lad- see Storm?
8)Superman- atleast strenght and invulnerabilty.

Combine flight for everyone (but I would make the Legionairres flight have some kind of limit) and I don't think it would too bad. I think a Green Lantern movie would be much worse than this!

Old 10-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #66
ck1777
Side-Kick

Oh I'm not saying that's the lineup they'd have to use, it's just the first ones I thought of.
I'd have Superman,LL,SG,CB, and brainy,and then have one or two more (preferably girls).

Old 10-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #67
Fresh Prince
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck1777 View Post
I think a Superboy movie could work, but what would it be about? As of right now, the lawsuit wouldn't allow a full origin so we would have to put that on hold. You mean having a movie with Lana,costume, and supervillains but without having the Daily Planet characters? If it was me, any origin movie I would do wouldn't have the Daily Planet at all until the sequel.

Also, if they did a Legion or Superboy movie, I wouldn't call him "Superboy". I don't think any 15-18 year old kid would want to call himself boy(I know when I was that age I wouldnt have!)
Movie would be made after the law suit is over and have faith that Superman will be fine and no damage done to the character......Anyways movie be about Clark's orgins....His younger days before Superman days,

Bascialyl show how kyrpton got destroyed and all that stuff....On top of that it will then show Clark in his teen years at Smallville going to high school and starting to fight crime....It be Lana and no Daily Planet characters yet as he is in Smallville not Metropolis.

And he has to be called Superboy that was his name before Superman.....Before your a man your a boy......Nothing wrong with being a boy. We will see him develop as a man but he would act cocky/arrogant a little bit but soon develop and take responsibility.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #68
ck1777
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Prince View Post
Movie would be made after the law suit is over and have faith that Superman will be fine and no damage done to the character......Anyways movie be about Clark's orgins....His younger days before Superman days,

Bascialyl show how kyrpton got destroyed and all that stuff....On top of that it will then show Clark in his teen years at Smallville going to high school and starting to fight crime....It be Lana and no Daily Planet characters yet as he is in Smallville not Metropolis.

And he has to be called Superboy that was his name before Superman.....Before your a man your a boy......Nothing wrong with being a boy. We will see him develop as a man but he would act cocky/arrogant a little bit but soon develop and take responsibility.
Something like that could work,and anything delaying the Daily Planet cast is good for me. I'd much rather have them build up to it for the second or maybe even third movie.

As far as being called Superboy, I can't really see any high school teen choosing the name Superboy. Now if he was 12 or 13 obviously he would be called Boy, but a 16 or 17 year old? That being said, I wouldn't care if they did choose to call it Superboy.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #69
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well if superboy was to happen they would probably want him to be like 12-16 yrs old range character wise.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 10-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #70
Fresh Prince
Banned User

Well he could be in the first film 12-16 yeard of age.....Then in the sequel around 21-25....And third movie late 20s-early 30s ready to fight crime as SUPERMAN!!!!

Old 10-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #71
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
The thing is, they tried this with that "Legion of Superheroes" cartoon, which didnt last long...but i see what you're getting at here....have superman be to the legion what wolverine was in the x-men films....
Which is what I fear. Wolverine is the weak link in those movies and they've twisted the stories around him. The Legion are better than Superman. Let them balls Superman up and put him with the JLA, I'd prefer Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes anyway.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #72
Fresh Prince
Banned User

WOW! Seriously the Legion are better then Superman? How? I'm not to familiar with the Legion so......Are they stronger then Supes?

Old 10-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #73
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Hell yes! The Legion has a few characters with Superman's powers. Ultra Boy who can use only one at a time but can see through Lead and has no kryptonite weakness. Mon-El who has all superman's powers and has no weakness to kryptonite. Supergirl or in some versions Andromeda who is to Mon-El what Kara is to Superman basically. Then there is Saturn Girl who took down both Ultra Boy and Mon-El with a thought cast. Colossal Boy who grows into a giant and as such his strength grows with him. Back in the silver age there didn't seem to be this preoccupation with keeping Superman the best or special and why should we? The whole point of the Legion was that Superman was among equals who he could learn from and get some true friendship. No matter how much we like Superman and Batman as best friends we all know Batman looks at Clark with worry at times. Heck, just look at Infinite Crisis for the evidence.

I worry that if they did this movie like the TV show they would throw out characters like Ultra Boy and Mon-El to make Superman seem top. The stories would rotate around him when there are far more interesting characters to explore in the Legion itself. I'd rather have Supergirl in it so that she can bring out a story in Brainiac 5.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #74
ck1777
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
Hell yes! The Legion has a few characters with Superman's powers. Ultra Boy who can use only one at a time but can see through Lead and has no kryptonite weakness. Mon-El who has all superman's powers and has no weakness to kryptonite. Supergirl or in some versions Andromeda who is to Mon-El what Kara is to Superman basically. Then there is Saturn Girl who took down both Ultra Boy and Mon-El with a thought cast. Colossal Boy who grows into a giant and as such his strength grows with him. Back in the silver age there didn't seem to be this preoccupation with keeping Superman the best or special and why should we? The whole point of the Legion was that Superman was among equals who he could learn from and get some true friendship. No matter how much we like Superman and Batman as best friends we all know Batman looks at Clark with worry at times. Heck, just look at Infinite Crisis for the evidence.

I worry that if they did this movie like the TV show they would throw out characters like Ultra Boy and Mon-El to make Superman seem top. The stories would rotate around him when there are far more interesting characters to explore in the Legion itself. I'd rather have Supergirl in it so that she can bring out a story in Brainiac 5.
Well, the point of this thread was to come up with a COMPLETELY different concept for a Superman movie. As far as Supergirl, not only would that be awesome but it also could be a lot easier. If they wanted, they could make it that she's been lost in space for thousands of years kind of like that elseworlds story Superboy's legion. Sadly, If they can't get a Superman movie I doubt they could get a Supergirl or Legion movie going.

Like you said, I doubt Ultra boy would be in the movie since his powers are too similar to Supermans. But I think Mon-el should defintly be in the sequel because of his great backstory. In fact when they were talking about a SR sequel, I thought Braniac shoudl infect Jason with some disease and then Superman would put him in the phantom zone to save his life.

Even if they do a Superman origin without the Legion, I would love to see Mon-els story on the big screen. It's one of the ONLY (if not the only) important things of Supermans origin that hasn't been done in one of the THOUSAND live action versions.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #75
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well if they did legion i would see they probably start first film with just the basic first grouping of the original 3 then over series they bring in more characters. Though i doubt supergirl/mon-el/etc.... related to superman family characters would make it into series.

www.ItsJustMovies.com