The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor

Old 11-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #101
Stripesy Strip
Eat That, Jimmy Olsen!

Default Re: Warriors Three Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ace of Knaves View Post
Have you ever seen Asano act? If not, you can't really judge.
What does his acting have anything to do with them chosing an asian because they feel like Hogun reminds them of a Mongol?

And yes i've seen him act in the film where he played Genkis Khan. I thought he was average in the role

Quote:
Inspired doesn't mean changing **** up for the sake of it BTW.
That's what they just did.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #102
Stripesy Strip
Eat That, Jimmy Olsen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolo View Post
Why is Hogun an asian dude? I dont remember any asians in Asgard, they are norse viking gods. This is even dumber than FF and Daredevil making alicia masters and kingpin african-american for no reason. Seriously, a norse viking asian? Do we really need to make every marvel movie diverse enough to pacify any potential PC police?
I wholeheartly agree. This is dumb. I guess Branagh is another leftist type. But I knew this would happen when he cast Natalie Portman-a Jewish girl-as Jane Foster. It's like they felt it would be too much of a cast with blond nordic types. Like it's a sin.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #103
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Or Branagh just thought of Hogun as Asian. If nothing else, this thread alone should show you that no one's sure what ethnicity Hogun's supposed to be.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #104
Stripesy Strip
Eat That, Jimmy Olsen!

Well he's a Norse God, right? He's not a human that stumbled there by luck. And the Asian mythological Gods' Pantheon didn't just dropped one of their Gods in Asgard. He may look like a Mongol but if I remember the movie King Arthur where these guys with northern men working under the Roman Empire banner, a few of them had strange cloths, some that could have belonged to other nations, yet they came from the North.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #105
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripesy Strip View Post
I wholeheartly agree. This is dumb. I guess Branagh is another leftist type. But I knew this would happen when he cast Natalie Portman-a Jewish girl-as Jane Foster. It's like they felt it would be too much of a cast with blond nordic types. Like it's a sin.
Oh noes! DAS UNTERMENSCHEN are taking over our white Aryan movies!

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #106
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Well he's a Norse God, right? He's not a human that stumbled there by luck. And the Asian mythological Gods' Pantheon didn't just dropped one of their Gods in Asgard. He may look like a Mongol but if I remember the movie King Arthur where these guys with northern men working under the Roman Empire banner, a few of them had strange cloths, some that could have belonged to other nations, yet they came from the North.
Marvel's Thor isn't a redhead. The Ragnarok of the myths is just one of many in Marvel's version. Thor was described for decades of Marvel comics as being Odin's only bloodson.

Clearly, the fact that the myths don't cover the idea of people with Asian features in Asgard is no barrier to Marvel's version of Asgard having them.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #107
Bug-Eyed Earl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Marvel's Thor isn't a redhead. The Ragnarok of the myths is just one of many in Marvel's version. Thor was described for decades of Marvel comics as being Odin's only bloodson.

Clearly, the fact that the myths don't cover the idea of people with Asian features in Asgard is no barrier to Marvel's version of Asgard having them.

That and the myths have a handsome trickster god able to have a wolf, serpent, and hag with his ogre wife. The same trickster turned into a female horse and got knocked up, giving birth to Sleipner.

Bug-Eyed Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #108
Manowar
Side-Kick

All this talk about an asian playing Hogun and not fitting in with Viking Mythology is hillarious.

1st - This is Marvel's Viking Mythology, not actual Viking Mythology.
2nd - Their are different races in Asgard. Most gods are Aesir & Vanir and Hogun is niether.
3rd- What makes you think there are no asianlike races in Actual Viking Mythology?
4th - Milennia ago Vikings in actual history DID meet and have conflicts with real asians. They met and battled Native Indians in North America around 1000 AD and even before that they met and battled Eskimo/Inuit tribes in Greenland. Native Indians and Eskimo/Inuits originally came from north eastern Asia (Siberia)when they traveled through the frozen bearing Strait attached to Alaska at that time.

So an Asian Hogun makes perfect sense.

Manowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #109
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manowar View Post
All this talk about an asian playing Hogun and not fitting in with Viking Mythology is hillarious.

2nd - Their are different races in Asgard. Most gods are Aesir & Vanir and Hogun is niether.
3rd- What makes you think there are no asianlike races in Actual Viking Mythology?
4th - Milennia ago Vikings in actual history DID meet and have conflicts with real asians. They met and battled Native Indians in North America around 1000 AD and even before that they met and battled Eskimo/Inuit tribes in Greenland. Native Indians and Eskimo/Inuits originally came from north eastern Asia (Siberia)when they traveled through the frozen bearing Strait attached to Alaska at that time.

All this, even if you don't take into consideration that Hogun has clearly been DESIGNED to look Asian (or at the very least, non-Caucasian) in the comics for the best part of 40 years now.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #110
DocHoliday
The King of Cool

Quote:
How's der Fuhrer doing? I swear some people are beyond foolish.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #111
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

hahah I never noticed that, but you're right.

Ace of Knaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #112
piccolo
Doom is watching you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Hogun, from day one, has taken OBVIOUS visual cues from Ghengis Khan just as much as Fandral took his from an Errol Flynn swashbuckler. There's a reason just about everyone on these casting threads has been suggesting Asian actors for the role.

Are you trying to suggest that there's nothing in this character's appearance to suggest he could be anything but Caucasian?
No, i'm suggesting that he's always appeared as caucasian in comics, and have never read of any mongoloids native to the dimension of asgard.

piccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #113
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

He hasn't appeared as a Caucasian in the comics though...

Old 11-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #114
piccolo
Doom is watching you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Richards View Post
I don't know if asian would have been the ethnicity I'd have gone with, but it's not like political correctness gone wrong.

It's just a choice.
Fair enough.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #115
Triad
Sofa King Suite!

Yeah, this is getting out of hand. Too much reading into it. Personally, I don't think it's really that big of a deal if Hogun is Asian or not. Manowar's post above makes perfect sense to me.

Sidenote: Stripesy Strip, no offense but your comment about Portman being Jewish did kinda make you sound foolish and/or anti-Semitic. I'm not saying that you are, but it really didn't come off very well.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #116
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
No, i'm suggesting that he's always appeared as caucasian in comics, and have never read of any mongoloids native to the dimension of asgard.
So that pic above looks Caucasian to you? You couldn't argue that this pic below looked anything but totally Caucasian?

Or this?

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 11-18-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #117
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Hogun's home in Tales of Asgard appeared to have a mix of Mongol and Arabian people. And this was from back in the '60s. Like I said to Stripesy, just because it doesn't conform to your idea of Asgard, doesn't mean it's not a part of Marvel's Asgard.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #118
piccolo
Doom is watching you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manowar View Post

AFAIK Hogun isn't a 'real' anything, he's an immortal god like the rest of the asgardians. If he's mongul, then he's an asian immortal god, of which they have their own pantheons that are not indigenous to Asgard like he is.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #119
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

Yea he isn't real, none of them are. They are MARVELS take on Asgard. And they have decided that he is no Caucasian, it's reeeeeally simple.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #120
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
AFAIK Hogun isn't a 'real' anything, he's an immortal god like the rest of the asgardians. If he's mongul, then he's an asian immortal god, of which they have their own pantheons that are not indigenous to Asgard like he is.
In niggling over Manowar's 4th point, you've disregarded points 1 to 3. Who's to say the Aesir of the Marvel mythos have to all be Nordic white people? They are an entire species, like the human race is a species. And it's not like all of US are white Caucasians.

I really can't believe this is what we're arguing about. I thought the casting of Hogun would be the one people would have the least issue with, and I certainly didn't imagine people would complain about him not being played by a Caucasian. It's like complaining that War Machine isn't being played by a white man.

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 11-18-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #121
piccolo
Doom is watching you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Hogun's home in Tales of Asgard appeared to have a mix of Mongol and Arabian people. And this was from back in the '60s. Like I said to Stripesy, just because it doesn't conform to your idea of Asgard, doesn't mean it's not a part of Marvel's Asgard.
If that's true then ok. If you know the whereabouts of a scan depicting it that would help a lot.

And its not like my idea of asgard is so strikingly different than marvel's. I imagine asgard to be a dimension of 6 races, the only humanoid of which was worshipped by scandinavian and germanic tribes in europe. The idea that mongoloids weren't a part of the equation is not outraegous.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #122
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Well, Duncan was cast as the Kingpin in DD, but he didn't wear a fat suit; he was just tall and muscular, same with Stevenson. I think Branagh will redesign Volstagg, not as a big fat guy, but a tall & strong warrior. I think this is one area I'd welcome a departure from the comics.
My exact line of thinking.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #123
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

Why do you call them mongoloids? That is offensive.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #124
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ace of Knaves View Post
Why do you call them mongoloids? That is offensive.
Not necessarily. That was their original name, it's just that it's become seen as racially derogatory because it's also become a derogatory name for people with Downs' Syndrome.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #125
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Pretty sure he's using the technical definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongoloid