The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 07-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #276
cryptic name
No Limits

Default Re: Batman: Earth One

I was excited for this but I didn't like it very much. The art is beautiful though, and I liked the take on the Penguin. There's just a lot of ideas for the re-invention that I couldn't roll with, like the whole Wayne/Arkham thing. And while I like the idea of a novice Batman who makes mistakes, like in Year One or Begins; Bruce being just kind of a crazy dude who picked up a little SAS combat training from Alfred kinda didn't work for me. I'll still read the next volume to see where Johns takes it, though.

I believe in Batfleck
cryptic name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #277
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep

Is Earth One a series or just a one shot? I got the book recently and loved it, as well as the Riddler set-up at the end.

Uroboric Forms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #278
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

It should be a series.

But given how long it took to make the first one, don't be surprised if the next volume comes out in 2024.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:47 AM   #279
shallbecomeabat
Yes, father...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic name View Post
I was excited for this but I didn't like it very much. The art is beautiful though, and I liked the take on the Penguin. There's just a lot of ideas for the re-invention that I couldn't roll with, like the whole Wayne/Arkham thing. And while I like the idea of a novice Batman who makes mistakes, like in Year One or Begins; Bruce being just kind of a crazy dude who picked up a little SAS combat training from Alfred kinda didn't work for me. I'll still read the next volume to see where Johns takes it, though.
Same here. I really hope it will be explained in the next one, that Bruce did travel the world before becoming Batman and that we just weren't shown any of that in the first book. Hope it wasn't just a few weeks of training with Alfred.

While reading it, I still couldn't shake the feeling that Geoff really hates the character.

shallbecomeabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #280
Cain
"...I prefer 'Doc'"

I don't think he really hates the character I just think that he likes the character but not enough to really understand his voice. A poster over on the SHH DC boards (think it was Oberon) once said that it seems like Geoff likes Bruce but likes his parents even better and I'd agree with that notion in light of this book and Flashpoint.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Future's End, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Batman & Robin, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Worlds' Finest, Batman '66, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #281
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallbecomeabat View Post
Same here. I really hope it will be explained in the next one, that Bruce did travel the world before becoming Batman and that we just weren't shown any of that in the first book. Hope it wasn't just a few weeks of training with Alfred.

While reading it, I still couldn't shake the feeling that Geoff really hates the character.
Geoff said in a few interviews that Earth One Bruce never left Gotham and he was sheltered all his life and the only real teacher he had was Alfred.

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
ironman29758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #282
DarKush
Side-Kick

I finished this earlier today. I liked it, but still thought it was largely unnecessary. With Superman, I can get why they were retelling his origins, because there is a continual need, real or imagined, to try to make Superman relatable or 'cooler', this isn't necessary with Batman. So it felt like something designed to just cash in on Batman's popularity.

What stood out the most was the excellent artwork. I thought the story was okay as well. I thought Johns had some interesting takes on some of the characters. I enjoyed his Alfred and the Penguin the best. Though I wish there had been a bit more foreshadowing of the Penguin earlier in the book. I also thought the Lucius makeover was okay. Didn't care for what they did with Bullock. An entirely new character could've fit instead of so drastically changing him. That just felt like a stunt.

The tweaking of the Waynes worked for the most part, though I don't see why Martha had to become an Arkham, even if that easily injects Arkham into the storyline. But I did like the idea of Thomas running for mayor. I was iffy on Jim Gordon's being complicit in the corruption at first, but was pleased when he explained himself. Had no problem with Barbara, as far as I could tell Johns did little to change her from how she's always been depicted. I thought the Birthday Boy made for a creepy villain and was a good choice. For the first book, there wasn't a need to inundate readers with a lot of Batman's famous rogues.

I also liked that Batman had a learning curve, that not everything worked, and he took quite a few blows. And that felt like something that might happen as he got used to being a vigilante. All in all, a good read, but not as good as Superman: Earth One.

DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #283
MACH
Side-Kick

I finally read this today and I gotta say, as someone who is kinda sick of the re-imaginings and starting from a new square one approach...

I LOVED IT!

Can't wait for the next one!

MACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #284
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKush View Post
Didn't care for what they did with Bullock. An entirely new character could've fit instead of so drastically changing him. That just felt like a stunt.
I thought the same at first, but it seems like at the end he was starting to move towards becoming the 'real' Bullock.

Uroboric Forms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:04 AM   #285
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

LOVED it! great & exciting new take on Batman and his supporting cast of characters. love how it ends and sets up for the next installment. just hope it doesn't take long to come out.

hopefully down the line, WB/DC Animation does a film based on Earth One.

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:46 AM   #286
Nite-Watchman
Newbie First Class

Well-told story and plot progression: Check. It's not a matter of finding clue one, clue two, clue three... it's a matter of Bruce being ready to hunt down who he believes to have ordered his parents' deaths, and this is done through an emotional journey.

Character development: Check. Gordon goes from a cop who let's criminals push him around because he fears for his daughter's safety, and then by the end transforms into the bold man we all know and love; Harvey Bullock goes from being a cocky smooth-talker to a rough-shaven drunk; Bruce decides to clean up his act near the end.

Professional penciling, inking, coloring: Check.

9.5/10

Nite-Watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #287
cabel
Side-Kick

My response is indifference. It's well written with fantastic art work, but doesn't bring a lot that I couldn't get from other takes on the origin.

cabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #288
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

I really liked it. I think an additional twenty pages could have helped in letting some stuff breathe. But...an additional twenty probably would have meant this thing wouldn't have come out until 2015 or something.

The art is really beautiful. There are some color hiccups, but Gary Frank's artwork is really great. Storytelling is solid, for the most part. I liked Alfred and Bruce's relationship, and how different Alfred was. Connecting the Wayne and Arkham families was interesting too.

My only problems with the thing was just some stuff. Nitpicks really with the writing from Johns, or maybe Frank too depending on how they formed the story. I liked them making Lucius young and going the Batman Begins route of him being in the loop. But, it could have used some more work on that end. Batman Begins making Lucius and Thomas Wayne old buddies, and everything else done, made it work for me that Lucius could be trusted with his secret. In this, I dunno...would have preferred a little more on their relationship. Another nitpick was having Bruce ride around in his Jaguar. I don't expect a Batmobile, not even a Tumbler. But, Bruce parking such a nice car in ****** neighborhoods, even in dark alleys, seems like something that would draw attention or just get straight up jacked, if not missing all it's parts when he got back to it.

Hopefully Volume 2 won't take as long to get done. I really want to see where they take things. I'd like to see how things could play out with the Dent's, for example.

I think for what it is, it works very well. I think if this were the New 52 version, where this would be THE flagship Batman...I think I would be way more critical. But, since it's not I like the chances being taken and can appreciate alot of the changes.

Last edited by ChrisBaleBatman; 08-01-2012 at 01:17 PM.
ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #289
Snoo
Clark's loyal friend

I liked everything others have already mentioned (particularly Bullock's story arc) but there were also several smaller things and nuggets that made me love the story even more. SPOILERS AHEAD.

Not only we got to see more of Bruce's childhood, we also had scenes with teenage Bruce (I LOVED Gary Frank's design for him), and he even had actual friends (Jessica), and I chuckled when he punched Dent because half of the boy's face was all scrunched up and deformed from the hit, as if foreshadowing Two-Face:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Gary Frank pays a lot of attention to the characters' eyes which is always welcome and a great plus. It's something I very much appreciate when it comes to his Superman, as well. And Frank's Bruce has the kind of startling and piercing eyes he should have:

The following panel of little Bruce broke my heart into a million pieces. That haunted and shocked look in his eyes is frightening, oh God. It reminded me of a similar shot in Batwoman.

One of my fave scenes and among those that touched me the most, was this one (again with the focus on the eyes, just brilliant):

"I'm your butler." Excuse me, I have something in my eye...

And, yep, the book has loads of epic and memorable splash pages (I did a little happy dance every time), but this one really stood out to me, I just love the angle, the city in the background, all the lights, and that little corner of the roof Batman's trying to reach. I can just feel him straining:

I'd post more but then I'd be posting the whole book!

- Batman Chronicles #19

Snoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #290
Batman, Inc.
Side-Kick

This sounds FANTASTIC.

I really don't understand the complaints from some about how characters were changed or weren't the 'real' version. That is the entire point of the Earth One line! Its supposed to deviate from the mainstream comic interpretation of Batman and his world.

Batman, Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #291
TheDarkKnight08
genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman, Inc. View Post
This sounds FANTASTIC.

I really don't understand the complaints from some about how characters were changed or weren't the 'real' version. That is the entire point of the Earth One line! Its supposed to deviate from the mainstream comic interpretation of Batman and his world.
It's not the changes that are the problem. Johns just likes writing Batman as a selfish, unlikable *******, instead of just a selfish *******.

Batman never feels like Batman, and the story itself just feels week.

If any character has ever earned the right to enjoy a happy retirement, it is Bruce Wayne. Nolan ought to be commended for caring enough about the character and believing enough in his own vision to provide a definitive, satisfying ending to the story of an ordinary man who turned tragedy into the motivation to accomplish something extraordinary.

Nick Mundy is the real-life equivalent of Youtube comment: Sure I may be wrong, but I'm loud, so everyone listens to me.
TheDarkKnight08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #292
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

Earth One is something i could have seen Nolan doing on film

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #293
TheWatcher
Dapper

I loved it.

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #294
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
Earth One is something i could have seen Nolan doing on film
Batman Begins was a better Batman: Earth One than Batman: Earth One

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #295
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight08 View Post
It's not the changes that are the problem. Johns just likes writing Batman as a selfish, unlikable *******, instead of just a selfish *******.

Batman never feels like Batman, and the story itself just feels week.
I think he did it on purpose. He's a rich, spoiled kid. Yes when his parents died and his parent's killer he wanted revenge but part of him was still a rich, spoiled kid only he has a little training from Alfred(in short he was Batman in name only and more like a vigilante). But thanks to Alfred, some videos of what people thought Batman was, saving Barbara Gordon,meeting Mayor Cobblepott and finally finding out it was just a random murder he started on the road of becoming more like Batman, the superhero/legend inspiring hope for the innocent citizens. That was the whole point of Batman:Earth One. Personally I think this is better than some of Geoff's other recent work(looking at Justice League and Superman:Secret Origin)

I kind of feel like Batman:Earth One is more realistic than Batman Begins like this is more likely to actually happen in real life.

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
ironman29758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #296
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Well, I think that the idea was that Bruce isn't just a rookie. But, an amateur. He seems to be making up most of it as he goes along, without there really being a real plan.

Batman Begins, I thought, found a great balance between the fantastical aspects and the down to earth aspects. Kinda needed to, really.

I really liked his costume in this. No lenses is pretty cool to see drawn on Batman.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:55 AM   #297
CLARKY
Side-Kick

There were some fantastical aspects in the so callded realistic down to earth demystified batman begins?! I sure missed them completely.

CLARKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #298
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Yeah.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #299
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

How old is Bruce supposed to be in Batman: Earth One?

Old 08-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #300
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

I don't think they specify. I've read elsewhere that he's in his mid-twenties, but reading the book he seemed like an early 20's Bruce. Probably because he seems more inexperienced and young as any other Bruce-Batman.