The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Old 08-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #576
childeroland
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Foreign Film Thread.

Greatly enjoyed Raise the Red Lantern. Wish Zhang Yimou was still doing this sort of thing, though I guess I'll give Flowers of War (urk) another chance.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother

Last edited by childeroland; 08-15-2013 at 02:26 PM.
childeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #577
childeroland
Side-Kick

Finally saw The Wooden Man's Bride. Ravishing, though I wish there was a widescreen version.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #578
childeroland
Side-Kick

Eat Drink Man Woman.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #579
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

^ Great Film

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/bipolar/id867778921

gwynplaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #580
hammerhedd11
OHaiMark

Just watched some great films:
Throne of Blood
The Virgin Spring

Also saw Denis Villeneuve's Incendies. Good, not great.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
hammerhedd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #581
childeroland
Side-Kick

Jiang Wen's In the Heat of the Sun, based on the director's experiences growing up during the Cultural Revolution. Lush, mellow dreamy, nostalgic. The narrator's multiple versions of his (director's/lead character's) memories of that time. Wish this guy made more films.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #582
childeroland
Side-Kick

Enjoying Oshima's Boy on TCM right now.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #583
childeroland
Side-Kick

Finally watched La Vie En Rose.

Enjoyed Wild Strawberries, of course.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #584
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

The Dinner Game. Perfect French Farce, terribly remade as "Dinner for Schmucks."

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 12-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #585
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

I've gotten into Asian horror films the last few years. They focus more on psychological suspense and disturbing imagery than the gore-heavy Western slashers. While Western horror seems to focus on unkillable monsters and zombies, Eastern horror usually carries supernatural themes of a vengeful ghost, curse or connection with another spiritual world. And in Eastern horror, the curse or ghost almost always wins in the end.

Japan's probably the epicenter of Asian horror.

The scariest horror film I've ever seen does not even have any supernatural elements. It's The Audition by Takashi Miike and it will put you off the dating scene. And sleep. And eating. And everything for about a month.

The Ju-On series that the inferior American Grudge movies are based on, is supremely horrifying in a way the remakes can't equal.

There's also the original Ring movie and Dark Water film. Personally I don't find them quite as scary as the ones I mentioned, but still very disturbing. Then there's some duds like One Missed Call, that other people say are scary but I found just goofy.

Outside of Japan, there's still lots of scary movies, most of them sharing the same themes of a cursed spirit.

Thailand has 'Shutter'. Hong Kong has The Eye. South Korea has A Tale of Two Sisters. Almost all of them (actually I think all of them) have been remade into American movies which sucked, because they didn't fully embrace all the elements that made the originals so unsettling and horrifying. Most of the originals can be found on YouTube or are released for DVD by Asian imprint labels like Tartan Asia Extreme. Some might be available for download on Netflix or iTunes as well. Worth checking out if you enjoy getting scared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
H.E

Hail Hypedra!!!
JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #586
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
I've gotten into Asian horror films the last few years. They focus more on psychological suspense and disturbing imagery than the gore-heavy Western slashers. While Western horror seems to focus on unkillable monsters and zombies, Eastern horror usually carries supernatural themes of a vengeful ghost, curse or connection with another spiritual world. And in Eastern horror, the curse or ghost almost always wins in the end.

Japan's probably the epicenter of Asian horror.

The scariest horror film I've ever seen does not even have any supernatural elements. It's The Audition by Takashi Miike and it will put you off the dating scene. And sleep. And eating. And everything for about a month.

The Ju-On series that the inferior American Grudge movies are based on, is supremely horrifying in a way the remakes can't equal.

There's also the original Ring movie and Dark Water film. Personally I don't find them quite as scary as the ones I mentioned, but still very disturbing. Then there's some duds like One Missed Call, that other people say are scary but I found just goofy.

Outside of Japan, there's still lots of scary movies, most of them sharing the same themes of a cursed spirit.

Thailand has 'Shutter'. Hong Kong has The Eye. South Korea has A Tale of Two Sisters. Almost all of them (actually I think all of them) have been remade into American movies which sucked, because they didn't fully embrace all the elements that made the originals so unsettling and horrifying. Most of the originals can be found on YouTube or are released for DVD by Asian imprint labels like Tartan Asia Extreme. Some might be available for download on Netflix or iTunes as well. Worth checking out if you enjoy getting scared.
I agree. Good post

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 01-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #587
childeroland
Side-Kick

A Tale of Two Sisters is among the best films ever made in any genre.

Enjoyed Sans Soleil a great deal.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #588
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post

The Ju-On series that the inferior American Grudge movies are based on, is supremely horrifying in a way the remakes can't equal..
I can't take a walk through the woods without thinking of The Blair Witch Project...Ju-On made me stay away from the attic. Of all the asian horror movies, this is the one that scared me the most.

Have you heard of the swedish horror/comedy called "The Visitors"? It has some freaky parts in it.

Goshdarn Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #589
childeroland
Side-Kick

Liked Ilo Ilo. Brings back memories, not always in a good way.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #590
StarLord
Blood Eagle

'Big Bad Wolves'.

It's an Israeli comedy/thriller/horror and I loved it. Tonnes of dark humour and a few disturbing scenes, but a lot of fun.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:24 AM   #591
Ezio Auditore
Lord of Firenze

I highly recomend the next argentinian films:

Tiempo de Valientes

El Secreto de sus ojos (the secret in their eyes)

9 reinas (nine queens)

The first one is a really good comedy, the second one won the oscar some years ago, and the third one is the best film in argentinian's film history hands down

Ezio Auditore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #592
childeroland
Side-Kick

Pather Panchali, The Unvanquished, and The World of Apu for the umpteenth time.
Omar. Very decent.
Enjoyed Song Kang-ho's The Face Reader.

Last edited by childeroland; 03-09-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #593
childeroland
Side-Kick

The Battle of Algiers. Perfect.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #594
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

^ This and Army of Shadows are two films that I've always wanted to see and hopefully will watch soon.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 04-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #595
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Just finished -

Siegfried (1924) Director - Fritz Lang

Epic....classic.....

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #596
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Just finished -

Siegfried (1924) Director - Fritz Lang

Epic....classic.....
I have wanted to see that movie (and part 2) for a while now. Looks very interesting!

Old 04-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #597
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshdarn Batman View Post
I have wanted to see that movie (and part 2) for a while now. Looks very interesting!
I found them both on Netflix...will try and watch the sequel tomorrow.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:11 AM   #598
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Chinese drama A Touch of Sin. A violent exploration of indifference & disconnection in China. Also about human reactions to being pushed – aside, down or around. Gritty with style. Lots of neat symbolism.

9/10

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #599
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post

Chinese drama A Touch of Sin. A violent exploration of indifference & disconnection in China. Also about human reactions to being pushed – aside, down or around. Gritty with style. Lots of neat symbolism.

9/10
Looks interesting, my wife who is Chinese, told me that the lead Jiang Wu is a great actor.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 04-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #600
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I found them both on Netflix...will try and watch the sequel tomorrow.
I love silent movies Have you seen "Judex" before?

Judex (1916)